CPLEE CA-- How to not give AATBS/Psych Prep more $$$?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSMMad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is really possible to study without buying more from the cottage industries? The CA psych board says the following:

"Candidates are encouraged to trust in their clinical education, experience and judgment as a basis for responding to the examination items in addition to the California Board of Psychology Laws and Regulations and the APA Code of Conduct and Ethical Principles. The California Board of Psychology Laws and Regulations is available for purchase from the Board of Psychology at (916) 574-7720. It can also be accessed from the Board’s website at www.pscyhboard.ca.gov The APA Code of Conduct and Ethical Principles is available through APA’s website at www.apa.org."

Anybody pass without giving AATBS/Psych prep a few hundred more dollars?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if it is really possible to study without buying more from the cottage industries? The CA psych board says the following:

"Candidates are encouraged to trust in their clinical education, experience and judgment as a basis for responding to the examination items in addition to the California Board of Psychology Laws and Regulations and the APA Code of Conduct and Ethical Principles. The California Board of Psychology Laws and Regulations is available for purchase from the Board of Psychology at (916) 574-7720. It can also be accessed from the Board’s website at www.pscyhboard.ca.gov The APA Code of Conduct and Ethical Principles is available through APA’s website at www.apa.org."

Anybody pass without giving AATBS/Psych prep a few hundred more dollars?

I can tell you that I studied from former psychprep materials (no practice tests) for about 2 weeks, and recently did NOT pass, missing by two points. Super frustrating, and now am likely going to purchase one of these programs, to hopefully ensure not having to give ANOTHER $130 to the CA BOP. 2cents.

I passed on the first try and only used an old hand-me-down practice test and the Laws and Regs handbook you can download off the BOPs website. My practice exam was on the old version that also included clinical questions, I just skipped over the clinical items. Note that I did my internship in California and I had to take workshops on ethics and CA laws/regs (in addition to what came up during my rotations) so I was already familiar with a lot of these things (at least in regards to regs that govern care of youth). I focused my studying on other regs that are more adult focused (e.g., elder abuse). Hope this helps but if you are coming in from another state, you might just want to be sure to study everything in that handbook.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that I studied from former psychprep materials (no practice tests) for about 2 weeks, and recently did NOT pass, missing by two points. Super frustrating, and now am likely going to purchase one of these programs, to hopefully ensure not having to give ANOTHER $130 to the CA BOP. 2cents.
Thank you for the information. Good luck next time. Is it true you have to wait 6 months to retake?

I passed on the first try and only used an old hand-me-down practice test and the Laws and Regs handbook you can download off the BOPs website. My practice exam was on the old version that also included clinical questions, I just skipped over the clinical items. Note that I did my internship in California and I had to take workshops on ethics and CA laws/regs (in addition to what came up during my rotations) so I was already familiar with a lot of these things (at least in regards to regs that govern care of youth). I focused my studying on other regs that are more adult focused (e.g., elder abuse). Hope this helps but if you are coming in from another state, you might just want to be sure to study everything in that handbook.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Thank you for the information. Good luck next time. Is it true you have to wait 6 months to retake?

My understanding is that you are eligible to take the next iteration of the exam; in my case that means Oct. 1st.