CPR Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scruggs92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before applying to medical school, is it worth it to get CPR certified?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you work in a clinical setting that requires it, planning to become a CPR instructor or idk..couldn't think of any other legitimate reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school required it, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to get it out of the way already. Plus its a useful skill

My school requires us to be CPR certified before we matriculate. Couldn't hurt to get it out of the way early I suppose.

Before applying to medical school, is it worth it to get CPR certified?

Thanks

My school provided us with BLS (CPR) training. And it was required for every student (even if you were already certified), so that they could all train us again at the same time when it needs to be renewed.

Everyone should learn how to correctly perform CPR and use an AED.

I could not agree more. Everyone needs to know CPR and proper usage of an AED. Do it for your own knowledge in case you ever need to use these skills. Encourage family, friends, etc to do the same. Witnessed arrests where CPR + AED is promptly administered (plus early EMS activation) have the best chances of resuscitation. Laypersons trained in CPR can make a profound impact if ever needed.

I could not agree more. Everyone needs to know CPR and proper usage of an AED. Do it for your own knowledge in case you ever need to use these skills. Encourage family, friends, etc to do the same. Witnessed arrests where CPR + AED is promptly administered (plus early EMS activation) have the best chances of resuscitation. Laypersons trained in CPR can make a profound impact if ever needed.

+1. I'd also say that if emergency medicine is interesting to you but you aren't sure or don't have time to go for an EMT license, think about taking CPR Instructor training. I did it and taught classes all through college + the two years since I've graduated. You set your own hours and I found it fun.

(I ended up doing EMT too, which was more fun, but CPR-I is a great toe-in-the-water step.)

For med school? Not particularly.

For life? Yes.

I'd recommend it. You might as well. One of the schools I applied to requires it, so now I need to find time to take the course.

if you're attending a medical school ...everyone will ??

OP asked about getting CPR training prior to APPLYING to medical school, so he's at least a year and a half away from matriculating and getting training through the school. Obviously if you're 3 months away from matriculating and your school provides training for free (aka hidden in tuition) then you can just wait until you matriculate. But it's still an important skill that more people should have, whether they're going to med school or not.

definitely get it for your own knowledge if you'd like, but it expires and your school will most certainly give you training again regardless of whether you're certified, and you'll also be trained in ACLS as well. If the purpose is to just knock things out of the way then don't do it.