Crack Reading 15 -> 19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fashionation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alot of you can laugh but it's an obvious improvement to me, even if it's still not impressive.

1st I had 14 but now I just finished 9th with 19.

While reading 1st and last paragraphs and first sentence of the rest paragraph, I take a brief note and this method has been helpful to me so far.I hope with further practice I can improve some more.

One quick question. I heard the topics in real DAT are not as similar as the ones in CDR: MORE SCIENCE RELATED. But the question patterns in CDR are smilar to the real ones.

Should I practice reading other science materials or Godfrey or just stick to CDR AND KEEP REDOING?

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely a big improvement, keep going.When is your exam? For me, i am scoring 15s and 16s ! I read the whole thing. Some questions are detailed,,, and there is no way to answering it without reading the passage. How do you go about answering those detailed questions?

Alot of you can laugh but it's an obvious improvement to me, even if it's still not impressive.

1st I had 14 but now I just finished 9th with 19.

While reading 1st and last paragraphs and first sentence of the rest paragraph, I take a brief note and this method has been helpful to me so far.I hope with further practice I can improve some more.

One quick question. I heard the topics in real DAT are not as similar as the ones in CDR: MORE SCIENCE RELATED. But the question patterns in CDR are smilar to the real ones.

Should I practice reading other science materials or Godfrey or just stick to CDR AND KEEP REDOING?

Great improvement. I think it would be beneficial if you practiced reading and understanding some science related articles (Especially boring ones). If you can master comprehending such articles that you are uninterested in the first time through, you will be in great shape for at least 2/3s of the DAT rc. Try to trick yourself into being interested in the passage, helps a lott for me.

Good luck!

Who the f*** would laugh at your improvement? Seriously, tell me and I'll hunt them down and give them a stern talking to.

Well done! keep practicing though to hit 20+. I personally would recommend doing other tests if you already finished CDR. For me, redoing the same test in a short timespan doesn't seem very helpful. Godfrey's is supposed to be VERY difficult but most people say it prepared them well.

My DAT had 2 sciency pasasges and one humanities one. Honestly though it doesn't matter since they were all equally difficult and not all that different. Besides, if you can read a humanities passage, you can breeze through a science one. Most of us here love sciency things so getting one of those is just icing on the cake!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is tough just studying verbal tests. They are so boring. I think the best way to study for verbal is to read Scientific American, NY times, Wall street journal, Huffington post or Time magazine. They are all available on smart phones now, so lunch break or anytime you have a moment, just read an article or two.

Man...you guys make me cry(RC has scared me) I don't know where you guys are but I just love you. Thank you for your encouragement with valuable feedback. Will try those materials.

Thats very good! keep at it with whatever works for you. At that point it's just a matter of getting one more question right to climb up one more score.

For me, because I'm big on details, I found that I had better chances in getting correct answers if I spend time reading the passages and pay attention to minor details to understand everything. With this method, I can never finish all 3 passages, but for the first 2 passages, I miss about 1, sometimes 2 questions as I rarely need to go back to the passage to look up answers. That, in a sense, saves a lot of time.
That already puts me at a score of around 16-17. Then for the last passage, I weed out the simple "look up" questions and get about half right (give or take a couple, on guessing). Scored a 22 with this method.
I share this because, to my understanding, I never heard of anyone or any study aid tell you to do this. I say do it if think better paying close attention to details - which, I believe are the majority of dentists. :)