Crap Bad Anesthesiologists Say

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So someone sucks at ultrasound and hits the subclavian with a 22g (or 25 if ur trying to be careful).. Does the patient die?

No, of course not. I think you missed the point of that example. That was just the first thing that came to mind in response to those that thought I was saying you needed to be cavalier to be a good doc. In reality, I personally would be OK blocking that pt. It's not the decision that mattered as much as the fact that one makes decisions based on actual scientific evidence combined with valid clinical experience and not some bogus "comfort" level which is invariably tied to the fact that the person who says that sort of thing doesn't know enough about what they are talking about to formulate a solid, valid opinion they can communicate to a medical colleague.

And of course you don't need to explain yourself, but I do see it as a professional courtesy to fellow docs. If I ask a surgeon a question about what he's doing/plans to do, I appreciate him telling me why he's making that decision, and I do the same in return. Especially these days with CRNA's claiming equivalence, I think it behooves us as a specialty to communicate in way that reflects our expertise. If you wanna keep giving answers that anyone with two neurons held together by a spirochete can come up with then fine, but don't bitch about being treated like a second class citizen when you give midlevel answers to fellow physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like you are still walking around spewing out answers you memorized for your oral board.

Grow up.

The only explanations you have to give now are when you get sued for screwing up.

I'm not in the habit of screwing up.
I don't think professionalism was a major component of the oral boards.

It's hard to believe that someone thinks "I don't give explanations" is the grown up response.

Maybe it's the culture of where people work. I guess if surgery and anesthesia at your place hate each other, maybe one word answers are expected. I think at most places anyone who can't/won't form a reasoned explanation for their decision making would be considered an idiot, socially and/or cognitively.

BTW, I'd be surprised if anyone here actually believes that you're actually rude enough to just say "no" to a surgery request and walk away without explaining. That's just internet stuff right there. Either compensating for something in real life or just real immature.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are still walking around spewing out answers you memorized for your oral board.

Grow up.

The only explanations you have to give now are when you get sued for screwing up.

I'm not in the habit of screwing up.

Last week.
Ortho- "What do you think about a block in this patient? Maybe..."
Me- "No block."
Ortho- "OK." Secretly happy that we will save 5-10 minutes.
No explanation needed.

Reactions: 1 user
In my humble opinion we shouldn't let our ego do the talking (or lack thereof). I think its a sign of weakness if you cannot explain to the patient and/or the surgeon your thoughts. Professionalism aside. Of course in IllDesteriero's convo above obviously no explanation was needed so moot point.

How about this gem from today (admittedly from CRNA to SRNA):
"Make sure to use 100% O2 during recruitment breaths to prevent atelectasis"

Reactions: 1 users

"I think you don't know what those words mean...."

Reactions: 1 users
There are two types of anesthesiologists: the ones who play fetch like a dog and the ones who don't play games.

Not hard to tell in which camp people fall.

I'm perfectly happy not playing games.

You aren't the guy that makes everyone stand at attention while you intubate are you?

"C'mon, guys. No messing around! I haven't secured the airway yet!"

Reactions: 1 user
In my humble opinion we shouldn't let our ego do the talking (or lack thereof). I think its a sign of weakness if you cannot explain to the patient and/or the surgeon your thoughts. Professionalism aside. Of course in IllDesteriero's convo above obviously no explanation was needed so moot point.

Wat

Crap bad anesthesiologists say
"The patient appeared to lose consciousness in the appropriate amount of time and as she entered the OR was apneic."

Reactions: 4 users
"The block looked good. It'll kick in while you're asleep."

"I'm going to put a breathing tube in you." ALWAYS said to the most nervous patients.