credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthony 44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 139 credits a unusually large for a DPT program? I was accepted into Stony Brook University which is requiring a total of 139 credits with semesters sometimes having over 20 credits compared to NYIT which only has 100 total credits and around 15 to 17 per semester

Members don't see this ad.

Is 139 credits a unusually large for a DPT program? I was accepted into Stony Brook University which is requiring a total of 139 credits with semesters sometimes having over 20 credits compared to NYIT which only has 100 total credits and around 15 to 17 per semester

yes, that is a ton of credits. To compare it to some other NY DPT programs (LIU requires 118 credits, Hunter requires 105 credits, Touro requires 122.5 credits, Downstate requires 135.5)

yes, that is a ton of credits. To compare it to some other NY DPT programs (LIU requires 118 credits, Hunter requires 105 credits, Touro requires 122.5 credits, Downstate requires 135.5)
I'm just having a hard time deciding between schools. I know Stonybrook has a great reputation but I'm wondering if that amount of credits is gone be overwhelming to an already intense program

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the cheaper option - advice that I've gotten from every DPT graduate that I spoken to

Is there a correlation between credits and program rigor? I'm betting not. Choo$e the best program fit for you.

Last edited:
The 2012-13 CAPTE Fact Sheet lists the average number of credits in a DPT program as about 116. Perhaps the program you are referencing is just structured a little differently? I suppose the only way to really compare programs would be the total number of didactic and clinical coursework hours required. The average number of hours is also found in the Fact Sheet. Finding those numbers for individual schools is probably a bit difficult and largely irrelevant, though I'm sure they exist somewhere.

In the end everyone will always just tell you to choose whatever school is the cheapest. :)

http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...gram_Data/AggregateProgramData_PTPrograms.pdf