Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm losing hope now...I think I'm going to go to college of saint Mary's. ...I'm already accepted pre-ot. I have chances to keep applying every month...I'm going keep my trust in the lord...I've looked into it occupational therapy assistant programs and it will take the same time as getting an masters...I made some phone calls...and plus financial aid doesn't give you a lot of money if you have a bachelors degree...so I'm just going to hope I get accepted into OT program at saint marys... maybe I will get into Creighton university God can work miracles....I don't know. ..
God can work miracles, don't lose all hope just yet, I forgot to mention that from what I have heard if you go to a pre-OT program and make good grades there is a REALLY good chance you will get into their program, I knew someone who did that with TWU and went their pre-OT to OT route and said getting into the program wasn't to difficult cause she made good grades in their pre-OT. Pre-OT is like a clean slate for you and your past academics. I hope I have not made you feel worse about your chances of becoming an OT and I apologize if I have. You WILL get in if you pursue long enough.

Members don't see this ad.

God can work miracles, don't lose all hope just yet, I forgot to mention that from what I have heard if you go to a pre-OT program and make good grades there is a REALLY good chance you will get into their program, I knew someone who did that with TWU and went their pre-OT to OT route and said getting into the program wasn't to difficult cause she made good grades in their pre-OT. Pre-OT is like a clean slate for you and your past academics. I hope I have not made you feel worse about your chances of becoming an OT and I apologize if I have. You WILL get in if you pursue long enough.
Oh no you haven't i Really appreciate you taking the time and giving your advice. Ok yeah my admission counselor said I'm taking a risk but I think it will be easier for me to get in because I'm already going to their school so. I don't know I got to trust God...they gave me an scholarship also...I will keep you posted....

Oh no you haven't i Really appreciate you taking the time and giving your advice. Ok yeah my admission counselor said I'm taking a risk but I think it will be easier for me to get in because I'm already going to their school so. I don't know I got to trust God...they gave me an scholarship also...I will keep you posted....
Well its good they gave you a scholarship, they see potential, the only risk you'd be taking is if you make average grades, if you make mostly A's then your previous 3.11 gpa in your previous degree will have little to no factor because you would be currently getting the job done!!! Honestly you need to shoot for no less than a 3.7 in pre-OT and establish excellent rapport with the staff members. Become the BIGGEST TEACHER'S PET EVER!!!! It helped me win over a few hearts in my undergrad and it led to connections such as a great place to do volunteering under an OT and great letters of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well its good they gave you a scholarship, they see potential, the only risk you'd be taking is if you make average grades, if you make mostly A's then your previous 3.11 gpa in your previous degree will have little to no factor because you would be currently getting the job done!!! Honestly you need to shoot for no less than a 3.7 in pre-OT and establish excellent rapport with the staff members. Become the BIGGEST TEACHER'S PET EVER!!!! It helped me win over a few hearts in my undergrad and it led to connections such as a great place to do volunteering under an OT and great letters of recommendation.
I called Creighton University last week and they said I should hear from them this week sometime............Please pray for me...........I don't know what I will do if I don't get in. Only 33 people applied to the Abilene Christian University Occupational therapy program..............I may have chance with ACU but I don't have all my prereqs done.........so stressed

Reactions: 1 user
I will definitely pray for you that some doors open up somewhere for you! I am interviewing on Friday at Creighton! Please pray that I do well and hopefully get accepted! :)

I will definitely pray for you that some doors open up somewhere for you! I am interviewing on Friday at Creighton! Please pray that I do well and hopefully get accepted! :)
I will!!!! Good Luck!!! What are your stats???? I keep getting different answers form admission counselors. One admission counselor said I should get an email this week and the other admission counselor said I should hear something in three weeks?? Did they send you an email??

I think my stats are comparable to yours. My cum. GPA is only 3.09 although, I did have some significant obstacles that impacted my grades such as having a baby, my dad unexpectantly passing away, being a victim of domestic assault, my fiancé and I separating and going to court for child custody, etc. I am also worried about getting accepted with such a low GPA but am staying hopeful. I already got an interview so that is step one.

I got an invite to interview about 5-6 weeks after I submitted my application. Good luck! Keep me updated!

I think my stats are comparable to yours. My cum. GPA is only 3.09 although, I did have some significant obstacles that impacted my grades such as having a baby, my dad unexpectantly passing away, being a victim of domestic assault, my fiancé and I separating and going to court for child custody, etc. I am also worried about getting accepted with such a low GPA but am staying hopeful. I already got an interview so that is step one.

I got an invite to interview about 5-6 weeks after I submitted my application. Good luck! Keep me updated!

I just don't why its taking so long. Did they send you an email or did they call you??? I spoken to two different people and they told me two different things. I don't know. I'm sooooo stressed out......Is your interview tomorrow or next month!!! When did you apply??

@makingmoves 2014 they sent me an email to interview it was 5 or 6 weeks after I had submitted my application. I had my interview on 1/24 and think it went well. Now I need to wait for my decision. For those of you that have already gotten accepted did you get your letter around the 3 week mark or the 4 week mark? I am hoping it is closer to three weeks since I may have to move my wedding date up a couple weeks!

@makingmoves 2014 they sent me an email to interview it was 5 or 6 weeks after I had submitted my application. I had my interview on 1/24 and think it went well. Now I need to wait for my decision. For those of you that have already gotten accepted did you get your letter around the 3 week mark or the 4 week mark? I am hoping it is closer to three weeks since I may have to move my wedding date up a couple weeks!
I got My acceptance in exactly 3 wks! :)

Congrats on getting married!!! I got mine in exactly 3wks as well.

Ok!! My admission counselor emailed me and said my application is still in review. He also said they haven't reached their maximum capacity yet. I'm so afraid of not getting in. I'm taking Anatomy right now and its going really good. I have confidence that I will complete Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with an A. Those are the only pereqs that need to be completed. I'm not an traditional student anyways. I've been in the workforce for a while. I know my gpa is not competitive but I've had more experience then traditional students. I believe if I don't get an interview it will be in March. I'm already practicing for my interview. I'm making sure myself is very prepared. I will be done with Anatomy and Physiology 1 by March 17!!! So when I go for my interview it might put the committee at ease.

I got My acceptance in exactly 3 wks! :)
Ok!! My admission counselor emailed me and said my application is still in review. He also said they haven't reached their maximum capacity yet. I'm so afraid of not getting in. I'm taking Anatomy right now and its going really good. I have confidence that I will complete Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with an A. Those are the only pereqs that need to be completed. I'm not an traditional student anyways. I've been in the workforce for a while. I know my gpa is not competitive but I've had more experience then traditional students. I believe if I don't get an interview it will be in March. I'm already practicing for my interview. I'm making sure myself is very prepared. I will be done with Anatomy and Physiology 1 by March 17!!! So when I go for my interview it might put the committee at ease.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview at Creighton 1/24, and I'm super nervous this week will be week 3. Are we notified by e-mail,phone, or letter?

I had my interview at Creighton 1/24, and I'm super nervous this week will be week 3. Are we notified by e-mail,phone, or letter?
I got a packet in the mail with my acceptance letter in it because there is some vital information in it for accepted students that are better distributed through the mail.

I also had my interview 1/24! Hopefully we find out this Friday!! :) I can't wait any longer!

I got a packet in the mail with my acceptance letter in it because there is some vital information in it for accepted students that are better distributed through the mail.

Thank you! I've heard if it's good news it'll come in a packet. Lol. I'll be crossing my fingers this week. :)

I have an interview at Creighton on April 25th, anybody else on that day?

I have an interview at Creighton on April 25th, anybody else on that day?
I thought Creighton goes by the dates they post on their website. I'm getting scared now. This Friday would be three weeks. I haven't heard anything. I turned in my application and my otcas application was done on December 12. I don't know why its taking to long. My admission counselor said they haven't reached maximum capacity. What's your stats??

So i just checked my Creighton portal and it says my status was updated today. I'm guessing we'll be hearing by Friday for those who interviewed 1/24. EEEEEEK :confused:
Maybe possibly....hopefully...

I saw that too! I'm hoping that means they mailed off our decisions today!! :) Let me know when you get it! Good luck!

I saw that too! I'm hoping that means they mailed off our decisions today!! :) Let me know when you get it! Good luck!

YAY! I will. Keep me updated as well. I was hoping that the update would give away if we got in or not... BUT of course not! HAHA. Good luck to you too! :D

I just called and found out that I am an alternate. She said there is less than 10 people on the list right now. Hopefully people do not accept or back out. I really really want to get in

I just called and found out that I am an alternate. She said there is less than 10 people on the list right now. Hopefully people do not accept or back out. I really really want to get in

I wonder if that's why the status is updated and it still says you have scheduled an interview. My hope is falling :(

I wonder if that's why the status is updated and it still says you have scheduled an interview. My hope is falling :(
So you haven't had an interview yet. I kept getting different answers form the admission counselors. I don't know what's going on?? Its not looking too good. I might just do OTA to OT route. This is nerve wrecking.

So you haven't had an interview yet. I kept getting different answers form the admission counselors. I don't know what's going on?? Its not looking too good. I might just do OTA to OT route. This is nerve wrecking.

I know all about the nerve wrecking. LOL. Hang in there. I did already have my interview on Jan 24th. They said we'd hear back within 3-4 weeks after our interview. I'm thinking that since my "stauts" was updated yesterday they've made out our decisions for my group. I'm hoping I got in. I'm scared that since my "status" was updated and it still says I've scheduled an interview that I've already attended that I've either been rejected or wait-listed. I'm wondering if they don't update the status to accepted until after we've gor out letters, and let them know we're attending. I'm hoping that's the case. I've been watching the portal like crazy.

I know all about the nerve wrecking. LOL. Hang in there. I did already have my interview on Jan 24th. They said we'd hear back within 3-4 weeks after our interview. I'm thinking that since my "stauts" was updated yesterday they've made out our decisions for my group. I'm hoping I got in. I'm scared that since my "status" was updated and it still says I've scheduled an interview that I've already attended that I've either been rejected or wait-listed. I'm wondering if they don't update the status to accepted until after we've gor out letters, and let them know we're attending. I'm hoping that's the case. I've been watching the portal like crazy.
Well I haven't had an interview yet. I've turned in my application on December 12. Every time I called they tell me 3 weeks so today it will be six weeks. Did you get your invitation to an interview by email. I keep checking my personal everyday. I don't know. My admission counselor told me they haven't reached the maximum capacity. I notice some people form last year was accepted but they decline. I don't know about this year. I just don't know anymore. I'm getting scared. I applied to some OTA programs just in case. What do you think???

Well I haven't had an interview yet. I've turned in my application on December 12. Every time I called they tell me 3 weeks so today it will be six weeks. Did you get your invitation to an interview by email. I keep checking my personal everyday. I don't know. My admission counselor told me they haven't reached the maximum capacity. I notice some people form last year was accepted but they decline. I don't know about this year. I just don't know anymore. I'm getting scared. I applied to some OTA programs just in case. What do you think???

You'll be alright sometimes it takes a while. I didn't hear back until Nov and I applied in July. It's great your keeping your options open. Have you been checking your application status on Creighton's website at https://admprosweb.creighton.edu/CreightonSPAHP/default.asp ? That's where I first found out I had an interview. Keep your head up and stay positive. It's all going to work out. I still haven't heard anything back. :) I'm a worry wart. LOL

OTbyrd, have you heard anything on acceptance yet?
I am a worry wart like you, and I have been trolling this forum even moreso after having my interview February 7th. It's only been a little over a week, but I'm so anxious about things because Creighton is my number one choice for a school! We can all share in this anxiety, I suppose. You're not alone! haha

I just called and withdrew my application and interview spot today, so hopefully that will give you guys more chances to get offered an interview! Good luck!

I'm a little bit sad though, Wanda (the receptionist) is so sweet, helpful, and kind whenever I spoke to her and so was my admissions counselor. The only weird thing was they did ask me what school I choose to attend instead, not sure what statistical purpose that served.

OTbyrd, have you heard anything on acceptance yet?
I am a worry wart like you, and I have been trolling this forum even moreso after having my interview February 7th. It's only been a little over a week, but I'm so anxious about things because Creighton is my number one choice for a school! We can all share in this anxiety, I suppose. You're not alone! haha

LOL. Team worry-wart! I haven't heard anything yet. I'm mad the mail doesn't run today... (BOO) I did just call and ask. They have made their decisions and we should be hearing back by next Friday. I'm going to guess you have a few more weeks ahead of you. Try not to stress too much. I bet you hear great news! I want to get in too. I really want to move back north. I hate Missouri. :)

I just called and withdrew my application and interview spot today, so hopefully that will give you guys more chances to get offered an interview! Good luck!

I'm a little bit sad though, Wanda (the receptionist) is so sweet, helpful, and kind whenever I spoke to her and so was my admissions counselor. The only weird thing was they did ask me what school I choose to attend instead, not sure what statistical purpose that served.

Wanda is super nice! Good luck in your program!

Did you get accepted somewhere else?

Team Worry Wart is right! I have been trying to keep busy with work, working out, etc, but keep thinking to, "I wonder what Creighton decided because that pretty much determines where my life is headed from here."
Don't blame you on not liking Missouri... lol I'm back in my hometown for a year working and am SO ready for a fresh start.
And Wanda is AMAZING. Seriously one of the sweetest people I have ever met. They're so lucky to have her working for them!
Btw, it's a weird thing we all do for reassurance, but OTbyrd, what are your "stats"?

Here's a brief list of mine:
University attended: Iowa State University, Major- Psychology, Minors- Child, Adult, Family Services and Design Studies (Photography)
GPA-Overall: 3.77
Pre-requisite: 3.9
Shadowing: Over 300 hours in inpatient, outpatient, 3 different locations
Volunteering: Pet therapy with my dog, Students Helping Rescue Animals Club VP of Education, Cystic Fibrosis Walk for 5 years, going to the nursing home and playing Hangman with the residents, etc
Work Experience: I have worked for the last 6 years in direct care. I have worked with adults with disabilities for the most part, and now work as a para-educator for children with disabilities at a school while working part time for adults with disabilities. I have also worked at a daycare and at a home for teenage girls with substance abuse troubles. I also have my own independent photography business that I have had for two years.

Super brief because I'm on my lunch break, but you guys lemme know what you think of my odds of getting in! Thanks :)

So my application was updated today......I'm wondering what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks
Stand strong and don't lose hope, I hope someone as passionate as you gets in :), so is OTA a for sure backup plan?

Stand strong and don't lose hope, I hope someone as passionate as you gets in :), so is OTA a for sure backup plan?

Yeah I'm interested in east New Mexico University of Roswell. There OTA program is cheap....and it will only take me an year but I don't know. My application has been updated twice............It usually says your application is currently in review by the committee but this time and it didn't say nothing.............

Yeah I'm interested in east New Mexico University of Roswell. There OTA program is cheap....and it will only take me an year but I don't know. My application has been updated twice............It usually says your application is currently in review by the committee but this time and it didn't say nothing.............
Well don't lose hope and get your application stuff all ready just in case you end up applying OTA.

Well don't lose hope and get your application stuff all ready just in case you end up applying OTA.
I've already............applied the application is not due until......May 2, 2014......Have two letters of recommendation, personal statement, and I've send all of my transcripts......I've been accepted into the school....not the program yet. I feel confident about getting in because...I've most of the classes done.........I'm going start working as an CNA in April....so that will be a plus.........then I have a bachelors....I'm afraid of not getting a job....I don't know ...please pray for me. Thanks for the positivity

You all sound WAY better off than me in the GPA range. I'm also a little intimated because everyone in my interview was from a D1 school and here I am at a small D2.

I graduated from Missouri Southern State University in Joplin, Mo. as a Health Promotion/Wellness major.

I'm sitting at a cute little 3.3 ish . Creighton said the only class I needed to take yet was med. term which I'm enrolled in right now, but I'm also taking A&P1 and 2 to boost up my science gpa because I got a c+ like literally a 79.99 no rounding up in Human Anatomy... (stupid final).

I have worked for three years with people with disabilities. I volunteer a lot with special Olympics, food banks, Cox childrens hospital, OT observation etc. I have over 2,000 hours of work experience/OT hours. I've been a a variety of settings like peds, lymphademia, hand therapy, neuro, and so on. I was the leader of the track cross country and basketball team for 3 years. Dean's list. I babysit at a church/group leader. Just very active in the community.

Hopefully that didn't sound dumb, I had training today and I'm dog tied (<--- hillbilly term) Can I please move back North? I'm originally from Iowa. LOL

So my application was updated today......I'm wondering what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks

I saw that too. I'm like what's going on?! Can I please just have my letter so I know. I wish the portal gave away your admission status before you got the letter! :D

I saw that too. I'm like what's going on?! Can I please just have my letter so I know. I wish the portal gave away your admission status before you got the letter! :D

OTbyrd: I think you sound very qualified and should be confident in yourself but it's easier said than done, obviously. I'm impressed with your control over yourself not calling and asking about your application. I would have called by now, myself! I will have another 16 days to hear back if I hear back in 4 weeks, and it will be another 9 days if I hear back in 3 weeks. Not that I'm counting.... lol. Good Lord, I'm not sure I have been this anxious before in my life. I've been trying to focus on my work, working out, praying, etc, but boy, is it hard not to wonder what's going to happen.

I'm all done with my coursework (when it comes to Creighton's requirements)- I had to take some of the prerequisite courses after earning my undergraduate degree because I didn't know what I wanted to do post-grad while I was in school (I was thinking more along the lines of being a counselor or nursing home administrator), but those classes are all done and I'm just working now in good ole Carroll, IA, and taking Abnormal Psych and the local DMACC "for fun"/because St. Kate's required it. I think if I totaled up my work experiences related to OT and my observation hours, I would be somewhere in the ballpark of 8,000 hours work/observation experience.

Where in Iowa are you from?

I just got my rejection letter from St. Catherine's last night... :/ Other than applying at St. Kate's and Creighton, I applied at St. Ambrose and interviewed there. I should hearing back from them sometime in March. St. Kate's didn't hold interviews, so I would like to think that part of the reason I was not accepted is that they based everything on your application and essays and not interviews (which would make for a better, holistic decision in my opinion), but I can't know that for sure.

I thought my interview at Creighton went really well (and their program seems like such a good fit for me/it just felt so right), but when I look at some people's stats on here, I get really intimidated. Some people have 4.0's, loads of volunteer hours and shadowing hours. Oh well, we just have to know we tried our best, and it's not in our hands anymore.

And, Missouri (Miss-ur-uhh) is definitely more hillbilly than Iowa, but I don't know how much better things are up here in that respect... lol :)

Know that I'm praying for you, hope we both get in!

@ MaverickMikeOT
Were you given the option of an interview date in March? I'm just wondering if they are down to the last interview session already?

Anyone else interviewing next month?

I got my letter today. I'm also an alternate. Not exactly the news I wanted, but at least I still have hope.

I got my letter today. I'm also an alternate. Not exactly the news I wanted, but at least I still have hope.
oh man I'm so sorry !!! Don't give up please!!!! What's your back up plan.........

oh man I'm so sorry !!! Don't give up please!!!! What's your back up plan.........

I still have hope. My only backup plan is to re-take classes , and do more in the community if I don't get accepted. I also applied to Cox's OT program in Springfield MO because it's only an hour from me so there is a chance they'll take me too, BUT Creighton is my #1 choice. Fingers crossed. :) I had a feeling I was going to be an alternate because my GPA is not a 3.7 or above. I need to call them because if we're picked I want to know how we're notified, and when the deadline is for people to commit to Creighton. My lease will be up on my house I'm renting in May, and I don't want to commit anywhere If I one day get a call and have to pick up and move to NE. Here comes the stress.

Reactions: 2 users