criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolbing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plead guilty to a class A misdemeanor (paid a ticket) in which i hopped a turnstile in NYC. Now, I just received a violation for disorderly conduct subsection 7 in which i pissed on the street. To me, these "crimes" sound like a joke, but will this criminal record prevent me from obtaining a residency or medical license later on in life? I currently have 3.9 gpa at NYU, but is there even a point in me continuing my education? I want to become a neurologist, but after reading several posts, it seems as though any sort of record will prevent me from doing so. Who would I even speak to in order to find out about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I plead guilty to a class A misdemeanor (paid a ticket) in which i hopped a turnstile in NYC. Now, I just received a violation for disorderly conduct subsection 7 in which i pissed on the street. To me, these "crimes" sound like a joke, but will this criminal record prevent me from obtaining a residency or medical license later on in life? I currently have 3.9 gpa at NYU, but is there even a point in me continuing my education? I want to become a neurologist, but after reading several posts, it seems as though any sort of record will prevent me from doing so. Who would I even speak to in order to find out about this?

I can't answer your question, but I suggest that if you ask for opinions, you not consider misdemeanors a "joke". Yes, they are crimes, whether you think they should be or not and the fact that you have no respect for rules or boundaries will not bode well for you in whatever specialty/career you choose.

It will certainly make things harder for you, but I can't imagine that giving up on your life dream is necessary right now. Plenty of medical schools will overlook nonviolent crimes if you are otherwise a strong applicant who can speak to your maturity and how you've changed. You will find yourself at a disadvantage when applying for residencies, but again- a personal statement that explains the crimes, how you've changed, and what you've learned, and a strong overall application with excellent clinical grades, may get you in the door for an interview. You'd do best to seek out neurology residency directors or medical school professors who can help mentor you through your next steps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't answer your question, but I suggest that if you ask for opinions, you not consider misdemeanors a "joke". Yes, they are crimes, whether you think they should be or not and the fact that you have no respect for rules or boundaries will not bode well for you in whatever specialty/career you choose.

I think it depends if it was 'on the street' or behind a dumpster. Frankly there is a huge difference.

You name me one person who has never pissed behind a dumpster in their life!

Reactions: 1 user

You also sound like a stick in the mud.

My thoughts are that it won't be too big of a deal if you have a solid application otherwise. Sure, you might have to talk about it during interviews, but I'd bet that something like "I was young and less mature than I am now" would be sufficient.