CRIP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christymul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure someone has posted this in the past, but how is the best way to study for questions that might come up in CRIP's interviews? Are they more didactic type questions or off the wall "if you were a sandwich, which kind would you be and why?" type questions?:scared:

Does anyone remember questions they had? What were some out-there ones you remember?:confused:

Any website or books that might be helpful?

Thanks -

Christy

Members don't see this ad.

bump because I'd be interested too^

Just from talking to some upperclassmen, it's my understanding that the interviews can really vary a lot from program to program based on the emphasis. I think whether or not you've already done their clerkship might play a big role as well. If they barely know you, they'd need to find out how much you know and how hard you work, but if you've already visited, worked hard, and answered tons of questions, they might have a good idea already and just be more interested in your personality. Depending on the programs you are going for, you might have one totally social interview followed by a polar opposite demanding academic one.

If you did the externship or visited, I don't see any harm in just asking the program's current residents for a few CRIP preparation pointers... the worst they can say is "no." If they like your interest and consider you a viable candidate for matching with the program, they would probably clue you in somewhat so you don't walk into the interview cold.

A couple residency programs have sample questions listed on their site like this:
http://ime.healthpartners.com/IME/Menu/0,,3234,00.html#10

A few books of case workups and that kind of info are also around:
http://www.amazon.com/Foot-Ankle-Pe...534451/1/ref=pd_sexpl_esi/105-7200274-3442863
I've heard that F&A Secrets and of course McGlamry are solid, but you're probably also well off just by knowing the literature of the program's attendings pretty well.

The Residency review manual has lots of social interview questions in it.

Some interviews are completely social and others are 50:50.

Clinical things to know:
how to work up a diabetic foot infection and notice gas on an x-ray.

ankle fractures

lis franc's fractures

Calc fractures

really all trauma classifications. These are very easy questions to ask and answer.

There are definitely other things that you will get asked but this is a good place to start.

There is also a list of 700 questions that went around last year and several years in the past for academic questions to be asked at interviews.

Read the PI manual - it is full of useful info for interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm sure someone has posted this in the past, but how is the best way to study for questions that might come up in CRIP's interviews? Are they more didactic type questions or off the wall "if you were a sandwich, which kind would you be and why?" type questions?
Christy

I think the type of questions depends on the program. The best way to know what type of questions the program asks is to ask the residents at the programs. Without giving specifics, residents will usually guide you as to whether the interview is didactic, social, case, or a mix.

All podiatric medical students are members of the APMA and therefore have access to a manual that is put out by the APMA Young Members entitled, "Surviving the Residency and Clerkship Process." It can be found on the APMA website under "Young Members" in the "Member Resources" section. You do need to log in as a member to get on that section of the site; if you've never done so, you can either follow the directions on the log in page, or contact APMA's Membership Department to get your log in instructions. It's a great resource and has a list of questions in the back of the manual that have helped many students prepare for residency interviews. Good luck!

All podiatric medical students are members of the APMA and therefore have access to a manual that is put out by the APMA Young Members entitled, "Surviving the Residency and Clerkship Process." It can be found on the APMA website under "Young Members" in the "Member Resources" section. You do need to log in as a member to get on that section of the site; if you've never done so, you can either follow the directions on the log in page, or contact APMA's Membership Department to get your log in instructions. It's a great resource and has a list of questions in the back of the manual that have helped many students prepare for residency interviews. Good luck!

these questions are mostly for the social interview part. like, what is your worst quality or weakness? What are your strengths? What will you bring to this program? ...

The academic questions that you are referring to can be found within the Hershey's, Presby, residency review manuals and trauma classifications as well as in current literature.