crippling debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggj

human considering dental
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey dents & post-dents -
i am graduating with about $400,000 in debt (currently a D1).
i'm just wondering if anyone is in my situation & how to handle such a huge tab. it's going to take several several years to pay off.. starting to wonder if dentsitry was a good idea :(

Members don't see this ad.

hey dents & post-dents -
i am graduating with about $400,000 in debt (currently a D1).
i'm just wondering if anyone is in my situation & how to handle such a huge tab. it's going to take several several years to pay off.. starting to wonder if dentsitry was a good idea :(

1) Apply for military/NHSC scholarships. Apply for other scholarships to pay off your loans.
2) Part-time work study
3) Find places that offers the lowest % interest on loans. Lobby for federal programs that offers less % rates.
4) Live within your means...and more
5) Start networking now so you will have a good job lined up right after graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
HEY I JUST POSTED THIS IN A PRIOR TOPIC - I HAVE WAYYYY MORE LOANS THEN YOU (PM me for details) - I needed more info on the 1- year tax free PSLF - Or can dentists make so much in Private practice that the 10 year repayment is not the better deal necessarily??

Long story Short (PM for details) - I will graduate with A LOT of student loans (way more than anyone else) double what most private schools charge nowadays…so I am strongly considering PSLF (public service loan forgiveness). Here are my questions:

1. Would residency Count as 1-2 years for IBR and PSLF - From my research some do some don't..what do I need to look for the 401C organization?
2. After a residency of low pay and small loan repayments I hope to continue that with a hospital, clinic, or emergency hospital dental job or VA job - however, I can't seem to find all that much info on these programs. Does anyone know of any hospital dentistry jobs that would work for the 10 year PSLF tax -free forgiveness program. I haven't seen or heard of many dentists working in hospitals or how to land a job like that but I know there must be dentists in hospitals and I am definitely interested if someone can shed some light on this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes,I know there must be dentists in hospitals and I am definitely interested if someone can shed some light on this topic.
QwqhZC

My team and I work with many dental and medical professionals and help them manage their student loan debt. We help them look at options around refinancing, consolidating and paying those down efficiently. I would love to introduce how we can be a resource for you.

I'll PM you :)

My school's median graduating debt is $314,000. Considering there is interest loading on top of this, and that new grads don't make that much coming out of school anyway, I'm really starting to wonder how "worth it" dentistry is. I love the field, I love my patients, and I probably would do it for free. But I want to have a family and a place to live!
Also, I'm wondering about those questions posed by cabbage20... I wonder what options there are available to new grads (working in hospitals as a resident, or public service commitment, etc)...

ok cool…others are interested. Someone here must work in a hospital or know someone who can shed light on the topic…bump.

Persoanlly, I'd rather work in a hospital than a clinic due to location of most hospitals being more urban - Anyone?