About the ads

Critical Care and Cardiology

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Chimera, Jan 3, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Chimera

Chimera Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I was hoping someone could answer a few of my questions regarding these pediatric subspecialties (critical care and cardio). As I am very interested in both.

1.) What fellowship programs are considered top notch for training pediatric intensivists? cardiologists?

and

2.) Is there a good amount of utility in being boarded in both fields through joint-fellowships that are currently available in a 5y time period? Would I be crazy to consider this?

Thanks.
  2. augmel

augmel Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I have a friend that is a PICU fellow at Texas Children's and she is working her ass off but getting amazing training. She says that most common and useful combined program is probably PICU and anesthesia. I guess at UCSD the faculty is almost entirely triple boarded and actually work in both the PICU and the OR. KInda interesting I thought.
  3. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    augmel- Is your friend happy with her fellowship training at Baylor? What does she think of the PICU, faculty, etc? I've heard very good things about the program.
  4. v-tach

v-tach Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    From what I hear, two good places for cardiology are Boston Children's Hospital and CHOP. Don't really know anything about critical care.
  5. Gator05

Gator05 Resident

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    How does this "triple crown" work of becoming certified in peds, anesthesia and peds CCM? Is it really a 9 year process? I have a hard time believing so (although there isn't much alternative), as this sort of specialization locks you into an academic position, and paying back loans after 9 years of training seems nearly impossible.

However, it sure is quite a carrot...
  6. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I believe you must do five years after a pediatrics residency for 8 total years. My info came from the U of Florida at Gainesville website where they describe such a program. You have to do 3 years of an anesthesia residency and then 2 years of PICU. Didn't take that long in the old days. You can set yourself up in a potentially lucrative position but 8 years of growing loans takes some catching up.