Critical Care Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has the ACEP/ACOEP made any progress toward a certification process for EM trained physicians who have or will do a Critical Care fellowship to be certified in the US with out going through the european loop hole?

Any information in general would also be helpful.

Thx
:p

Members don't see this ad.

There was a prior thread about Critical Care Fellowship that you may want to do a search for.

I don't know how much progress there is towards getting board certification in critical care for EM grads. My current understanding is that there is a critical mass of EM grads and IM/EM grads pushing to allow us to be board eligible. For now, I've been told that you can do a 2yr critical care fellowship in the US and then sit for the European Boards; afterwards you can practice in the US. Not sure if it actually works this way, but there are a couple of guys out there like Allan Tuttle that did EM with Critical Care fellowship that are staffing ICUs and EDs.

Currently you are correct about the EM/CCM route. After your EM residency, if you do a 2 yr CCM fellowship you can sit for the European boards without a problem. Currently this hasn't posed a real problem for the vast majority of EM/CCM docs I know.

There is an active lobby behind the scenes working on this and hopefully we'll expect to see some changes within the next couple of years.

If you want to pursue a CCM/EM career, I wouldn't let this disuade you at all.

You can check out the ACEP critical care section's website http://www.acep.org/1,4252,0.html

or the University of Pittsburgh Critical Care website for more information. www.ccm.upmc.edu

Good luck,
Kyle