Criticism needed and opinion appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candoc101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one.

First of all Much thanks to those who take their time and post their experiences and study schedules so that others who are also on this path can learn and get a good idea of what we are doing... So thanks..

Now i have a few questions and i will be glad if someone could give me their opinion...

First of all i have 2 months left till the exam..

Till now i have given one read to CMMR, Hy NA, Goljan, Kaplan Anatomy, Hy Embryo, Kaplan physio, kaplan BH, Kaplan Biochem. I have also watched the Kaplan videos for Embryo, Physio, Biochem, BH, and soon to Watch the videos for PHarma.

Now i have read Goljan once but i dont think i got too much out of it. soon will listen to his audio as well.

See my plan is to do all of the above 1 more time and then start first Aid.
I havent done any mcqs yet..

Now my question is what would u guys/girls change in this schedule or study material? i also have DIT which i hope to do as well...

Please your opinion will be much appreciated and much respected.
Thank you in advance and good luck on exams..

God bless you all..

Members don't see this ad.

Hello every one.

First of all Much thanks to those who take their time and post their experiences and study schedules so that others who are also on this path can learn and get a good idea of what we are doing... So thanks..

Now i have a few questions and i will be glad if someone could give me their opinion...

First of all i have 2 months left till the exam..

Till now i have given one read to CMMR, Hy NA, Goljan, Kaplan Anatomy, Hy Embryo, Kaplan physio, kaplan BH, Kaplan Biochem. I have also watched the Kaplan videos for Embryo, Physio, Biochem, BH, and soon to Watch the videos for PHarma.

Now i have read Goljan once but i dont think i got too much out of it. soon will listen to his audio as well.

See my plan is to do all of the above 1 more time and then start first Aid.
I havent done any mcqs yet..

Now my question is what would u guys/girls change in this schedule or study material? i also have DIT which i hope to do as well...

Please your opinion will be much appreciated and much respected.
Thank you in advance and good luck on exams..

God bless you all..

In all seriousness I understand that Kaplan notes are really highly rated and really good. But with UWorld/FA/NBME 6,7,11,12 you'll score will go up just fine.

I think that the first read you've done is pretty ok. If I were you I'd move to FA and UW. FA and UW time after time and then do an NBME. If you are dedicated 100% to step 1 study you can do FA+UW in one month, then repeat your wrong questions and then do a NBME. Your score should be around 200-220 after UW one time + wrong answers and FA.

Just my 2 cents

Edit: didn't realize you had DIT. I'm a little unsure if you should do dit or not. I'd do it only if I was certain that I had the time to complete it and give UW a run + wrong answers.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to the both of you for your opinion. i will try to start first Aid as soon as possible. but i still feel as though i dont have a firm grip over the material. is that normal or am i just the only exception?

second thing is, do u think its a good time to take an nbme just to see where i stand?

thanks again. and i hope others will share their insight...

I know one of the biggest regrets I've heard from current 3rd and 4th yrs at my school is that they tried to use too many resources and they wish they would have done more questions. It's great that you've done that much reading already, but now I'd just hit FA, UWorld, and NBMEs. Use a back-up resource only if you really don't understand something in FA, but resist the temptation to keep doing a lot of outside reading. FA is such a good, condensed resource that even though you feel you may not have a good grip on everything now I'm sure it will come back to you when you're reading FA and doing questions.

I know one of the biggest regrets I've heard from current 3rd and 4th yrs at my school is that they tried to use too many resources and they wish they would have done more questions. It's great that you've done that much reading already, but now I'd just hit FA, UWorld, and NBMEs. Use a back-up resource only if you really don't understand something in FA, but resist the temptation to keep doing a lot of outside reading. FA is such a good, condensed resource that even though you feel you may not have a good grip on everything now I'm sure it will come back to you when you're reading FA and doing questions.

Agree Completely.

When I actually got to studying, I found there just weren't enough productive hours in the day to get through everything I wanted to get thru. Which was upsetting, but then I found out that it didn't matter.

My 'Phase I' study schedule (starting a little over a month out) was a block of unused & timed UWorld questions, reading thru and taking notes on the answers, and then doing (REALLY DOING) one section in FA, and looking up stuff I needed to look up in other books that I needed to from that section in FA. Rinse and repeat, and my scores steadily climbed on UWorld (and the occasional NBME).