Critique School List please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty4550

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I would like to state that my overall science and cumulative GPA are including my postbac work.

sGPA:3.35
cGPA:3.41
post-bac GPA: 4.0 (29 semester units)
MCAT: 29Q (9 PS :mad:, 10 VR, 10 Bio)

I currently do not have a LOR from a DO, but am working on this. I do have a LOR from a MD though and I know that some schools require one or the other, but prefer to get a letter from a DO.

I believe that none of these schools require a LOR from a DO, as I do not want that to be the one thing that delays my application.

I am a CA resident if that makes a difference. That being said, here is my tentative list:

• ATSU SOMA
  • ATSU KCOM
  • Touro Nevada
  • Ohio
  • Touro California
  • LMU
  • Rocky Vista
  • Touro NY
  • Nova
  • PCOM-GA
  • PCOM
  • Kansas City U
  • UNECOM
  • UMDNJ
  • MSU
  • NYCOM
  • Midwestern-AZ
  • Midwestern IL
  • Western CA
  • Des Moines

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a solid list, MSU has a pretty intense OOS tuition though, and a regional bias... not sure if its worth it.

I would recommend applying to a broader range with your numbers. Consider places in the Midwest. California is a tough place to get into on all levels. I will be starting my intern year in riverside and know that many people with higher stats that have been shot down from western and touro. Just being honest with you. Any person limiting themselves to a competitive region better have competitive numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a solid list, MSU has a pretty intense OOS tuition though, and a regional bias... not sure if its worth it.

Thanks for the input. MSU is one of my "reach" schools. You are right in that the OOS tuition is insane, but my thoughts are that the reputation of the university may help when scouting for residency programs so it could pay off. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would recommend applying to a broader range with your numbers. Consider places in the Midwest. California is a tough place to get into on all levels. I will be starting my intern year in riverside and know that many people with higher stats that have been shot down from western and touro. Just being honest with you. Any person limiting themselves to a competitive region better have competitive numbers.

Thanks for your input as well. What schools are you talking about in the Midwest? There are only 9 DO schools that I am not applying to, 3 of them are the brand new universities. California is definitely very competitive, but hopefully some of my volunteer experiences will be of some help.

Consider LECOM as well. I go there. It has many benefits such as the lowest tuition in the nation ( maybe second to Baylor). Many different pathways.

Consider LECOM as well. I go there. It has many benefits such as the lowest tuition in the nation ( maybe second to Baylor). Many different pathways.

The only reason I do not have LECOM on my list is I do not currently have a LOR from a DO. I am working on getting one, but as I said before I do not want my application to be held up because of that.

I think you have a solid chance assuming your extracurriculars are ok. I applied to a shorter list. Received 5 interviews and three acceptances including western ca. I had a 3.33cgpa and 3.15 sGPA. Also, if I remember correctly, LECOM will provide you with a DO LOR if you don't have one. I believe you just have to let them know and you can meet with one interview day and they would write you one. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Good luck though.

I think you have a solid chance assuming your extracurriculars are ok. I applied to a shorter list. Received 5 interviews and three acceptances including western ca. I had a 3.33cgpa and 3.15 sGPA. Also, if I remember correctly, LECOM will provide you with a DO LOR if you don't have one. I believe you just have to let them know and you can meet with one interview day and they would write you one. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Good luck though.

Thanks for the input! That is very reassuring. :thumbup:Where did you end up going if you don't mind me asking? Are you URM?

I have never heard about LECOM providing a letter. That seems a little strange to me...:confused:

Another question I have is about MSU. On their website it states that volunteer work during high school has a big role in one's application. Since I had very little volunteer experience while in high school should I even bother applying to MSU? FYI I have a decent amount of experience while in college.

Another question I have is about MSU. On their website it states that volunteer work during high school has a big role in one's application. Since I had very little volunteer experience while in high school should I even bother applying to MSU? FYI I have a decent amount of experience while in college.

I find that very strange.. really? high school?? In all honesty I think you will be granted interviews to most of the schools here on the west coast, and as long as your good with interviews, you'll probably end up in cali or arizona IMO :) Not sure if you're looking to move to the east coast/ midwest? But I wouldn't stress it, especially if you are applying early!

I think they just allow you to document back so that you can have more hours on your app. They want to see at least 800 hours of volunteering, I believe. It's heavily weighted in the admission's process (30%). Part of the secondary is where you list all of your activities dating back through your freshman year of high school.

I find that very strange.. really? high school?? In all honesty I think you will be granted interviews to most of the schools here on the west coast, and as long as your good with interviews, you'll probably end up in cali or arizona IMO :) Not sure if you're looking to move to the east coast/ midwest? But I wouldn't stress it, especially if you are applying early!

Thanks again for the vote of confidence! :D I plan on submitting my application this weekend after one last review of my personal statement and activities section. My fiancee and I have grown up in California and her thoughts are if we move back east housing is cheaper and we may be able to afford a mortgage instead of rent during medical school. However, I will honestly go wherever I am accepted. If I have choices that would obviously be nice, but at this point I just want to start the next chapter of my life.

Arizona is cheap from what I hear, not sure about how cheap compared to east coast, but i'm sure you will have a successful season regardless!