CRNA Recertification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My sources tell me that the NBCRNA (The Board which certifies CRNAs) is going to implement a recertification requirement for all CRNAs. The yearly CME requirement may increase and every 8 years the CRNA must pass a basic recertification exam in order to remain "Boarded" by the NBCRNA.

This seems like a good idea considering that AAs must be recertified.
Opinions? Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

 You must hold current and valid licensure by a state board of nursing.
 You must have completed initial certification as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.
 Beginning in 2015, the certification period is every four years.
 There are four self-study modules which address four core competencies, which you must complete during each recertification cycle. These four core competencies are: airway management techniques, applied clinical pharmacology, human physiology and pathophysiology and anesthesia technology.
 You are required to complete 35 continuing education credits per year. At least 15 of these credits each year must be earned with educational activities that include end-of-activity assessments of learning. Opportunities to earn credits for professional activities other than traditional lectures will also be expanded.
 You must provide documentation that you have completed at least 425 hours per year in nurse anesthesia work practice, including clinical, administrative, educational and research related efforts.
 You must pass a recertification examination once every other certification cycle (once every 8 years). The first recertification examination will be administered in January 2019.

8. I haven’t taken an exam like this for years. Will it be hard for me to pass the examination?

The recertification examination is designed to test real-world knowledge of nurse anesthesia practice particularly related to the four core competency modules (airway management techniques, applied clinical pharmacology, human physiology and pathophysiology and anesthesia technology). It is not intended to be burdensome, but simply to reflect the kind of knowledge and skills that certified registered nurse anesthetists use in day-to-day practice and in every practice setting. Additionally, NBCRNA will publish a detailed outline of the test to help certified registered nurse anesthetists with test preparation.

They were embarassed into doing a recert exam because they've been the only one of the three anesthesia providers that didn't have it. AA's have had a q6yr exam requirement since 1992 (I've now done it four times). Mandatory MOCA started in 2000. The CRNA's won't even start the process until 2015 with the first recert exam not given until 2019.

Now - if they could just get all those "independent" corporations out from under the same roof...

Members don't see this ad :)
233.jpg

. .
. .

They were embarassed into doing a recert exam because they've been the only one of the three anesthesia providers that didn't have it. AA's have had a q6yr exam requirement since 1992 (I've now done it four times). Mandatory MOCA started in 2000. The CRNA's won't even start the process until 2015 with the first recert exam not given until 2019.

Now - if they could just get all those "independent" corporations out from under the same roof...

Since they claim to be equal to a Board Certified Anesthesiologist the AANA/NBCRNA (they exist in the same building) was forced to acknowledge the need for a MOCA (they call it MOC)

233.jpg

. .
. .

I got that same email pic from the Florida ASA rep.

I bet the AANA will do what the ABA did for those old time grandfathered ABA diplomats.

They got to take a 250 question exam and delete 50 questions they didn't know (for those recertified before the 2010 deadline).

I got that same email pic from the Florida ASA rep.

I bet the AANA will do what the ABA did for those old time grandfathered ABA diplomats.

They got to take a 250 question exam and delete 50 questions they didn't know (for those recertified before the 2010 deadline).

I've got a lifetime certificate. Lifetime. Yet, I have voluntarily recertified and am in MOCA. Bring it on. We are the most tested profession in the world.

Reactions: 1 users
I've got a lifetime certificate. Lifetime. Yet, I have voluntarily recertified and am in MOCA. Bring it on. We are the most tested profession in the world.

I certainly think that is great - high regards for you, and much respect.

However, I'm not sure I would do the same. That's a lot of work (some of the crap the ABA makes us do for MOCA seems ridiculous to me), not to mention lots of money. You're a better person than I.

Maybe you'll feel different after you get close to the test, and although you could pass it without cracking a book, you will feel compelled to study, because we are all anal like that - and you would spend gobs of time reading stuff that doesn't matter - than you will spend 4 hrs taking a test that gives you a headache (all while your family is out eating a milk shake at Chick-a-filet - the best damn milk shake available) - plus you will already be pissed because of the stupid practice performance thingy they made you do.

Well, maybe....I'll ask ya in 6 years or so. ;)

Blade, I've heard it's a tough test. Old of the older anesthesiologist in our practice (he was 55 years old) voluntarily took the re-certification in 2009 before the deadline. He says it was a challenging test, especially when last took the board certification test 20 plus years ago.

But I really think the AANA will once again trick the public by doing something (or just making their test much easier) so their old time CRNAs will pass the re-certification exam.

The AANA is all about public propaganda. The public thinks all CRNAs get "re-certified every 2 years" The general public doesn't realize that they just have to take an X amount of continuing education units and that's it.

Same thing will happen with the AANA re-certification written test. It will be written in a way, most if not everyone passes.

Blade, I've heard it's a tough test. Old of the older anesthesiologist in our practice (he was 55 years old) voluntarily took the re-certification in 2009 before the deadline. He says it was a challenging test, especially when last took the board certification test 20 plus years ago.

But I really think the AANA will once again trick the public by doing something (or just making their test much easier) so their old time CRNAs will pass the re-certification exam.

The AANA is all about public propaganda. The public thinks all CRNAs get "re-certified every 2 years" The general public doesn't realize that they just have to take an X amount of continuing education units and that's it.

Same thing will happen with the AANA re-certification written test. It will be written in a way, most if not everyone passes.

I also recertified in 2009. Test wasn't bad at all. Also have a lifetime certificate. We did not have to answer all the questions. Could omit 50. If had to answer all questions, would have felt differently.

I certainly think that is great - high regards for you, and much respect.

However, I'm not sure I would do the same. That's a lot of work (some of the crap the ABA makes us do for MOCA seems ridiculous to me), not to mention lots of money. You're a better person than I.

Maybe you'll feel different after you get close to the test, and although you could pass it without cracking a book, you will feel compelled to study, because we are all anal like that - and you would spend gobs of time reading stuff that doesn't matter - than you will spend 4 hrs taking a test that gives you a headache (all while your family is out eating a milk shake at Chick-a-filet - the best damn milk shake available) - plus you will already be pissed because of the stupid practice performance thingy they made you do.

Well, maybe....I'll ask ya in 6 years or so. ;)

I took the test for recertification. I am now in MOCA and am progressing right along. I will spend the time preparing for the exam- again. Do you really think a guy like me is afraid of another exam? Or, studying up on the triva for a few days before taking the 4 hour test?

Finally, what do you think the fail rate will be on the exam? 2%? 4%? Just take the exam one year early and if necessary, take it again before your ten year program runs out.

It amazes me that anyone who can pass all the medical exams, Board Exams, etc. is afraid of studying then taking an exam which has a 2% or lower failure rate. MOCA should be required for all of us.

Reactions: 1 user

Our exam is graded in a way "most, if not everyone, passes." The point of MOCA is to keep you current and up to date. The exam is there to "scare" you into reviewing the basics. Larry Bird, all time NBA great, used to shoot free throws for hours, all day and everyday, so he could be counted on to hit it when it counts. Nobody on this Board is as good as Larry Bird (except maybe JPP;))
so it can't hurt to practice our free throws every ten years.

Larry Bird is a basketball legend. Sure he’s tall. But there are a lot of tall players in the NBA. What made Larry Bird great in his time was his commitment to practicing the basics. He would be on the court before and after practice and every game shooting free throws. Sometimes he would sit in the stands and lob the ball in just to practice his accuracy out of his comfort zone. He wasn’t a flashy player. But he was consistent. He didn’t become an all-star player because he was a rock star. He became a rock star because he was a consistently solid player

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test for recertification. I am now in MOCA and am progressing right along. I will spend the time preparing for the exam- again. Do you really think a guy like me is afraid of another exam? Or, studying up on the triva for a few days before taking the 4 hour test?

Finally, what do you think the fail rate will be on the exam? 2%? 4%? Just take the exam one year early and if necessary, take it again before your ten year program runs out.

It amazes me that anyone who can pass all the medical exams, Board Exams, etc. is afraid of studying then taking an exam which has a 2% or lower failure rate. MOCA should be required for all of us.

I'm not saying you or I would be afraid of the test...just that after it was over, we MIGHT say - well Hell, that was a complete waste of time and money.

But I like your point about forcing us to study and learn - that is a very good point.

With regards to Bird, there is a really great book you should read - it parallels Bird and Magic. I loved it, and as a Bird fan, you would to.

It's called "when the game was ours"....i think.

recertification should be CHEAP and mandatory. I was thinking maybe CRNAs who want to practice independently should have to pass our tests.

My sources tell me that the NBCRNA (The Board which certifies CRNAs) is going to implement a recertification requirement for all CRNAs. The yearly CME requirement may increase and every 8 years the CRNA must pass a basic recertification exam in order to remain "Boarded" by the NBCRNA.

This seems like a good idea considering that AAs must be recertified.
Opinions? Comments?

Yes it is time everyone got on Board. The MD's must now be board cert. There was a time they could claim "board eligible" for life. Even after two failed attempts at testing. Just hang onto the "eligible" sign forever. Chiriopractice became family practice via lobby dollars into the right hand.
The AA's must now pass an exam( they were uninsurable before ) and must be under supervision. I am assuming this is because their undergrad. can be in any subject, (education degrees are now for sale online)………..therefore,
with no critical care, leadership experience, or medical background the MD provides that input into their shared practice. Many states still see Family practice doing surgery. A dentist in Fl. can do plastic procedures in his office..legally. It is time things were more defined. MD and CRNA's have been practicing anesthesia independently for 150 yrs. and often as a team. They show great leadership in this regard.

Well interesting thoughts…The general public is us…..our friends and families, and most of those trust the providers at the head of the bed. As for the testing we should have just one board exam. If you pass you are boarded by that board. Everyone keeps CEU's up and workshops, we have records of our "hands on "cases. So everyone passes a board, shows so many solo clinical hours on the job, and pays the fees approp.
The challenge to some older anesthesiologist is they never sat for the boards in the first place. It became an issue when it was tied to reimbursement. As long as you have the CRNA doing the case not so much, but unBoarded Doc's received, smaller reimbursement. New times…

I also recertified in 2009. Test wasn't bad at all. Also have a lifetime certificate. We did not have to answer all the questions. Could omit 50. If had to answer all questions, would have felt differently.

Does the CRNA test allow them to skip 50 also ?…will they get lifetime recert.

Four times . Good for you, And are you insured now or do you fall under Doc's practice.

recertification should be CHEAP and mandatory. I was thinking maybe CRNAs who want to practice independently should have to pass our tests.

I see your point. In a manner they have. A solo practice is not for everyone. Having the skills and leadership to stand alone is not for some.
In training there are many to help and share, when solo there is only you. Your decisions must be fast and correct. Getting people to assist or assisting them as well requires much of a person. As we all know from the university setting…"it all rolls down hill", so if you are not well versed in many areas you will become so fast.

The AA's must now pass an exam( they were uninsurable before ) and must be under supervision. I am assuming this is because their undergrad. can be in any subject, (education degrees are now for sale online)………..therefore,
with no critical care, leadership experience, or medical background the MD provides that input into their shared practice.

???

You need to learn a little history and perhaps a few facts.

The AA national exam had absolutely nothing to do with being uninsurable. Where the hell did you come up with that?

AA's have always been medically directed. No new news there. It has nothing to do with their undergrad degree or major.

Just to clarify, since I'm not quite sure you know this, there is no specific major required for admission to medical school either. Yes it could even be education - or, even PE. Similarly, there are no critical care requirements or medical background required for either one. There ARE, however, prerequisites for both AA and med schools - little things like physics, organic chemistry, perhaps biochem, etc. It's a little hard doing online labs I would think. Lacking those prereqs, don't bother applying to either one.

I smell a CRNA troll.

Yeah, Solo Meo has the stench of a militant CRNA troll wafting about him like Pig Pen.

AA=CRNA in terms of practice. The only thing the AA lacks is the AANA Political Action Committee to get laws passed allowing Independent Midlevel practice.

Does the CRNA test allow them to skip 50 also ?…will they get lifetime recert.
CRNA recert is even easier.

They don't have to take a test!

The AANA has already decided to move back their written test recert back to 2025 these days. They assume most old crnas will be retired by than.

I don't mind the CME or a written test every few years. It should be fairly tough if you are taking care of people.

The simulator is too expensive and I didn't learn anything new.

The new case write ups is a travesty.

Reactions: 1 users
???

You need to learn a little history and perhaps a few facts.

The AA national exam had absolutely nothing to do with being uninsurable. Where the hell did you come up with that?

AA's have always been medically directed. No new news there. It has nothing to do with their undergrad degree or major.

Just to clarify, since I'm not quite sure you know this, there is no specific major required for admission to medical school either. Yes it could even be education - or, even PE. Similarly, there are no critical care requirements or medical background required for either one. There ARE, however, prerequisites for both AA and med schools - little things like physics, organic chemistry, perhaps biochem, etc. It's a little hard doing online labs I would think. Lacking those prereqs, don't bother applying to either one.

I smell a CRNA troll.
I got my info from history of events in Ohio, back in '88 or '90. That is interesting about no pre req's . for med school. I suppose you pick up science then after med school begins. The history of medical education is interesting. I am sure they touch on that some in some schools. As we push for more years of free service and higher educational costs I wonder what we gain. While we dangle from the 'strings of Gov. committees' we help to push that worthless dollar around town and rack up a lifetime of "education tax/loan' debt. Mean while back on the hill lawyers who have lost their license to practice make up guidelines for the "new working class'. And you thought, you were educated…

Yeah, Solo Meo has the stench of a militant CRNA troll wafting about him like Pig Pen.

I save my energy for serious battle. While you stir the poop, the guys pulling the strings have now increased your work hours, decreased your reimbursement for services and require poof of your worthiness with constant reinvestment in their state employees education services. Then when you have a moment of peace, you blog online and poke the guy standing next to you. Take a friend to vote …your actions are better then words.

Since they claim to be equal to a Board Certified Anesthesiologist the AANA/NBCRNA (they exist in the same building) was forced to acknowledge the need for a MOCA (they call it MOC)

They do not share the same building. They do not claim to be equal to BC/MD. All members of all 3 professions should take a deep breath. This is a team sport for a positive outcome. I have seen the good and ugly in all 3. I prefer the good. Every provider brings their experience to work everyday. Let's draw from that body of knowledge and respect each ones view. Life is stressed enough; progress is made when we are moving as a unit.( in the same direction…)

They do not share the same building. They do not claim to be equal to BC/MD. All members of all 3 professions should take a deep breath. This is a team sport for a positive outcome. I have seen the good and ugly in all 3. I prefer the good. Every provider brings their experience to work everyday. Let's draw from that body of knowledge and respect each ones view. Life is stressed enough; progress is made when we are moving as a unit.( in the same direction…)

233.jpg

There is NOTHING a CRNA can teach me. NOTHING.

I got my info from history of events in Ohio, back in '88 or '90. That is interesting about no pre req's . for med school. I suppose you pick up science then after med school begins. The history of medical education is interesting. I am sure they touch on that some in some schools. As we push for more years of free service and higher educational costs I wonder what we gain. While we dangle from the 'strings of Gov. committees' we help to push that worthless dollar around town and rack up a lifetime of "education tax/loan' debt. Mean while back on the hill lawyers who have lost their license to practice make up guidelines for the "new working class'. And you thought, you were educated…
Work on those reading skills - I didn't say anything about no pre-reqs for med school. But then you thought the AA national exam had something to do AA's being uninsurable, so clearly you have comprehension issues as well.

The AANA and COA are still under the same roof - by all means correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NBCRNA also share that same building until fairly recently?

Last edited:
Blades picture says it all. You wear scrubs, a cap, and a mask... so it's "hard to tell the difference" - therefore a CRNA = physician? Give me a break.

Last edited:
There is NOTHING a CRNA can teach me. NOTHING.

I have a story about this... I have to be careful because it's very specific and I don't want to implicate either myself or the CRNA that shared it with me because she's actually one of the few I liked. She was very smart conscientious and good at her job. Anyway... sorry in advance therefore for the slight ambiguity...

We're doing a case one day and she tells me that we should be careful about patient positioning because this can theoretically cause a particular complication. Ummm... okay... how so? I tell her that I've literally personally done at least 300-350 of these cases in this position and I've never seen this complication. She then tells me about a study that was published in the AANA Journal where the pressure of this organ was measured and a potential treatment was suggested to manage and "improve" this pressure because of this theoretical risk. She said I should "think about it" and "be aware" that this "might be a problem."

Uncle Buzz couldn't let that one go.

That weekend I research this. Not only are there zero case reports regarding this particular complication in this particular procedure, I find the original article she was referencing and it just demonstrated a fundamental and basic complete lack of understanding of physiology. Yes, there was partial information that was correct. But there was no deeper understanding of the body's natural counter-regulatory mechanisms that help to prevent this complication and serve as a basic reason why we've never seen this complication in this procedure! Ironically, it was kind of a neat study and was well done. It just didn't have the deeper basic understanding of physiology attached to it and, worse, suggested a potential intervention that could actually cause the exact problem that the study was suggesting could be mitigated!

Again sorry for being a little cryptic here. If I say too much I could potentially identify this person and myself. But I think that most of what's published in the Journal of the AORN and the Journal of the AANA - stuff that they are trying to force us to do under the guise of being "evidence based" - is garbage. And the editorial boards and reviewers are the ones who decide what should be published - often people undereducated or ill-equipped to otherwise referee articles that are beyond their clinical expertise and understanding.