CRNA self-awarding MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Coastie. No worries. It gets better. Here are a couple statements off the top of my head:

• Residency is tough. Try and enjoy it. Learn as much as you can.
  • Stay under the radar. You wanna be that guy who is really good at what he does but is not stirring up the mud. I had a confrontation with a CRNA early in my residency. What I learned: Attendings>CRNA>Residents. You will be suprised at who really has your back in residency (your fellow residents). You are more replaceable than a CRNA and they know it.
  • Don't worry about the future. You chose a fantastic specialty.
  • The other side of the tunnel is dramatically better. In fact, it is night and day. You will be doing amazing things both inside and outside of the hospital. But to fully taste it, you have to put your time in the s hit hole so you can know the difference.

Lastly, work in an MD only practice to start off with. You don't want to supervise a CRNA that has been doing it for 15 years and thinks they know more than you. At least I didn’t. That is for later, once you have learned to land a plane that is crashing and burning.... Solo. It will give you confidance handling life and death decisions when you are the only anesthesia provider in the hospital.

Good luck Home-E. :)

Let me guess, Johnson? I believe his first name was Dick?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Coastie. No worries. It gets better. Here are a couple statements off the top of my head:

• Stay under the radar. You wanna be that guy who is really good at what he does but is not stirring up the mud. I had a confrontation with a CRNA early in my residency. What I learned: Attendings>CRNA>Residents. You will be suprised at who really has your back in residency (your fellow residents). You are more replaceable than a CRNA and they know it.
  • The other side of the tunnel is dramatically better. In fact, it is night and day. You will be doing amazing things both inside and outside of the hospital. But to fully taste it, you have to put your time in the s hit hole so you can know the difference.

Lastly, work in an MD only practice to start off with. You don't want to supervise a CRNA that has been doing it for 15 years and thinks they know more than you. At least I didn’t. That is for later, once you have learned to land a plane that is crashing and burning.... Solo. It will give you confidance handling life and death decisions when you are the only anesthesia provider in the hospital.

WOW.

I LOVE YOU, DUDE.

SUCH AN INSIGHTFUL POST.

ROKK ON.
:thumbup::soexcited::highfive::bow::bow::bow:

i was just wondering how hard it is to do this right after residency in say....7-10 years speaking in terms of groups that will still have this type of practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was just wondering how hard it is to do this right after residency in say....7-10 years speaking in terms of groups that will still have this type of practice?
No one knows what the future holds for us, but if we're all working for M'caid +10%, solo practice will be long gone outside of some cash and carry gigs. EVERYONE will be 1:4, maybe 1:3 on days where you've got REALLY sick dudes.:thumbdown:

Let me guess, Johnson? I believe his first name was Dick?:laugh:

How did you ever guess?

Brother... I know you feel my pain.

He was (as he is now dead to me), without a doubt, the BIGGEST Di CK I have ever met in the field of anesthesiology.... What an embarrassment.

I am sure you have your own stories.

I agree, but every hospital I've rotated at DID NOT have a policy against non-physicians wearing long white coats, so it's gonna have to be a more proactive, I think.

cf

I currently work as an RRT. I am REQUIRED to wear a white coat at work. I am in my early twenties and a large amount of patients think I am a resident or intern. (as a side note some nurses ask me to pretend I am a physician to their patients to alleviate their concerns. Something I have refused to do on a number of occasions). I did say something to my boss when hired that only physicians should wear white coats and maybe we should wear scrub jackets. Apparently at this hospital anyone who has an associates degree can wear one. My jacket has prevented me/my scrubs from being hit by blood splatter (we are a Trauma 1 center) on a number of occasions and the pockets do come in handy but I do think that it causes a large amount of confusion. Maybe allied health staff could wear a different color. I have actually had medical students think I was an older resident and have them ask me questions. Another said the attending he was with was on the phone and asked if he could follow me and I said sure and taught him all about vents for about 30 minutes until one of the residents told him I wasn’t a physician. (He got razed for it for a few days).

I applied late to med school and got in early this spring. I was unable to sell my house in time to move (out of state) so I could not go. Now with Obama care I have decided that the government will probably push mid levels to reduce costs. I am now putting the finishing touches on my AA applications. I am only 24, so I figure I can wait and see what happens with healthcare reform. I have always wanted to become a physician but depending on what happens maybe I’ll continue to work as an AA or get a PhD and do research.

I suspect that the state medical board has very specific criteria for "practicing medicine." If the individual does not meet those requirements, and they hold themselves out to be a medical doctor, then likely they are committing a criminal act. Why not just report them, and then let the state board figure out whether it's legitimate or not.

I currently work as an RRT. I am REQUIRED to wear a white coat at work. I am in my early twenties and a large amount of patients think I am a resident or intern. (as a side note some nurses ask me to pretend I am a physician to their patients to alleviate their concerns. Something I have refused to do on a number of occasions). I did say something to my boss when hired that only physicians should wear white coats and maybe we should wear scrub jackets. Apparently at this hospital anyone who has an associates degree can wear one. My jacket has prevented me/my scrubs from being hit by blood splatter (we are a Trauma 1 center) on a number of occasions and the pockets do come in handy but I do think that it causes a large amount of confusion. Maybe allied health staff could wear a different color. I have actually had medical students think I was an older resident and have them ask me questions. Another said the attending he was with was on the phone and asked if he could follow me and I said sure and taught him all about vents for about 30 minutes until one of the residents told him I wasn’t a physician. (He got razed for it for a few days).

I applied late to med school and got in early this spring. I was unable to sell my house in time to move (out of state) so I could not go. Now with Obama care I have decided that the government will probably push mid levels to reduce costs. I am now putting the finishing touches on my AA applications. I am only 24, so I figure I can wait and see what happens with healthcare reform. I have always wanted to become a physician but depending on what happens maybe I’ll continue to work as an AA or get a PhD and do research.

I had an old friend who was an RT and wanted to be an anesthesiologist. He was older with a family, etc. Bright with lots of potential but from the wrong side of the tracks. He went the RN route and plans to go to CRNA school. It's the right choice for some people. Good luck.

you didnt go to medical school because you couldnt sell your house.. are you serious?

You want to represent your specialty.

Don't be like a lot of attendings.

Don't play sodoku.
Don't surf the web. At least read a damn article everyday.
Don't play with your dumb iPhone. See last point.
Don't whine when you don't get your lunch break at your time.

Yada Yada Yada
Most of them talk. They don't represent us. They just want to ride the CRNA wave before it turns into a tsunami.

CRNAs = Agent Smiths. Stupid 1 trick programs gone out of control.

While on surgery...my attending says to the CRNA, can we give pt some toradol? CRNA, "ummm well i dont think so". Doc: oh why not? some problem? CRNA: well dr. x was saying something about his kidneys. Doc: ok whats his Cr, as far as we knew it was wnl, does he have a history of renal problems that we missed? CRNA: idk his Cr is zero point something i didnt do the h&P so i don't know more than that.

so the person responsible for managing the kidneys in addition to every other organ during the operation has no clue about teh pt's renal function status or pertinent history. imagine if one of us had that exchange with a surgeon or any other serious health professional.

I agree, but every hospital I've rotated at DID NOT have a policy against non-physicians wearing long white coats, so it's gonna have to be a more proactive, I think.

cf

Actually fought against wearing a lab coat as an RT student. Failed miserably, but a fair number of our instructors let us take them off. I suspect some of the lab coat wearing is a cooperate to graduate situation?

Never wore one as an RN, cannot see any reason to even consider wearing one.

Members don't see this ad :)
As has apparently every other person that earns a paycheck in the hospital. When I wander down to the cafeteria in my scrubs, I see nurses (including CRNAs), janitors, surgical techs, and whoever else can pay $15 for a white coat wearing them while in line to get their food. I'm thinking we should come up with some other color coat for physicians and let the rest of the people wear the white one.

Doctors should wear black suits or suitpants/skirts.

Let the midlevels and nurses wear white coats.

While on surgery...my attending says to the CRNA, can we give pt some toradol? CRNA, "ummm well i dont think so". Doc: oh why not? some problem? CRNA: well dr. x was saying something about his kidneys. Doc: ok whats his Cr, as far as we knew it was wnl, does he have a history of renal problems that we missed? CRNA: idk his Cr is zero point something i didnt do the h&P so i don't know more than that.

so the person responsible for managing the kidneys in addition to every other organ during the operation has no clue about teh pt's renal function status or pertinent history. imagine if one of us had that exchange with a surgeon or any other serious health professional.

Get used to it, it's the future. I work with GOOD experienced CRNAs and I'm continually amazed by what they don't understand or think about. If these guys are not solid I fear for rural middle America.

Lawyers have doctorates too, could you imagine a malpractice lawyer introducing himself as a doctor in the hospital?

Any hospital administration that doesn't act when midlevels start calling themselves Drs in a clinical setting should get an earful from the physicians and boycotted.

WHo cares what coat someone wears to work? Seems like there are bigger issues than who gets to wear the white coat. At our hospital, we are on first name basis with the surgeons on down. Its a great working environemnt. Long gone are the days of staff members giving up their chairs for doctors!

WHo cares what coat someone wears to work? Seems like there are bigger issues than who gets to wear the white coat. At our hospital, we are on first name basis with the surgeons on down. Its a great working environemnt. Long gone are the days of staff members giving up their chairs for doctors!
I find it hard to believe a surgeon would walk into a patient's room and introduce himself as Jimmy

There's a reason for that, and it doesn't have to do with his ego.

I find it hard to believe a surgeon would walk into a patient's room and introduce himself as Jimmy

^This. I didn't mind it when we were talking amongst ourselves in or with the nurses in residency. I respect the professionals around me to not having them be forced to do that. However, in front of the patient, we were titles and last names. Have to keep that professional distance. Primary care doctors I rotated with in med school were on first name with their patients, and paid for it later in getting too close to patients.

I don't think it's because they don't respect you as much as the surgeon, it's just because as a group you anesthesiologists tend to be friendlier and more approachable than most ...so people associate with you on more familiar...

...in front of the patient ...Have to keep that professional... Primary care doctors I rotated with in med school were on first name with their patients, and paid for it later in getting too close to patients.
an old saying comes to mind, "familiarity breeds contempt". the military has known this for years....

see sevo, this is why i like you over des.:thumbup:

Hate to bump an old thread, but just happened to run across it. I am a CRNA with a DNP (nursing) and a PhD in Physiology. I introduce myself as Dr. _____ and I am a certified registered nurse anesthetist, I will be delivering your anesthetic. I do not work with a physician anesthesiologist. I do all my own cases, blocks, OB, FOB, lines, etc. State law and hospital policy allow me to introduce myself as Dr. _____ as long as I identify my credentials after it. I figure I've been in school longer than most physicians so I deserve to use it (4 years undergrad biology, 3 years undergrad nursing, 2 years graduate NP, 31 months CRNA, 2 years DNP, 3 years PhD. How many of you put that amount of time in? Not many. I currently cover anesthesia services for a 150 bed hospital and am 1 of 2 intensivists for the ICU. :eek: SHOCKING. CRNA Intensivist? Plus I am slowly merging my way into pain.

All I am saying is...a podiatrist and an orthopod both do foot surgery. One has a DPM and the other MD, both refer to themselves as "Doctor". A CRNA and a MDA both do anesthesia. If the CRNA has a doctorate, then they should be able to call themselves doctor. Lists of non-MD healthcare "doctors": podiatrists, optometrists, dentists, physical therapists, pharmacists, occupational therapists, and advanced practice nurses. Hate to burst your bubble but "Doctor" originates in academia and outside of academia a lot of professions have a doctorate degree. In their practice, they are allowed to refer to themselves as doctor. I have never had a patient be confused about my role. I do not want to be an 'ologist nor do I pretend to be one.

If anyone has any questions about the DNP degree or nurses calling themselves doctors, I will be happy to give you a different point of view. As a SURPRISE to you all...I COMPLETELY AGREE that a nurse should never call themselves doctor...WITHOUT identifying themselves as a nurse, NP, CRNA as well.

This is some grade A trolling, bro. :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.