Cross-country interviews: Will the chain pay for flights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P4 applying for a grad intern position. One of the chain stores said they want me to do a follow-up interview in a high-demand area on the other side of the country. This is approximately 2000 miles of travel each way for the interview.

It's not clear to me if they will pay for my flight and hotel. Would this be a reasonable request? They only gave me about 12 days notice and tickets are expensive. I'm still on a student budget and I'm don't want to waste my time if they are not serious.

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt it, a friend of mine was offered an interview in a state about fifteen hours away from us and he made the trip himself. Getting a job is a virtue in itself.

I would have to compare this to asking a pharmacy school to pay for your hotel and travel fees when coming in for the interview towards acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt it, a friend of mine was offered an interview in a state about fifteen hours away from us and he made the trip himself. Getting a job is a virtue in itself.

I would have to compare this to asking a pharmacy school to pay for your hotel and travel fees when coming in for the interview towards acceptance.

Well, back in the day they most certainly did stuff like that. Back when you could get a free dinner at the drop of a hat from any company that thought you might be interested.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't hurt to ask.

Definitely save all receipts for unreimbursed expenses, and keep track of your mileage, in the event that your job-hunting expenses are tax-deductible.

Well, back in the day they most certainly did stuff like that. Back when you could get a free dinner at the drop of a hat from any company that thought you might be interested.

I'm sure we wished it was the same, but sadly every interview I went to during my application process stressed the fact that there's saturation. Preceptors said it, and even the Dean, supposedly things will get better. We'll have to see. Besides, people need to understand that if you want something, you have to go out and get it yourself.

Anyways, I'd book those flight tickets and fly out there now. Expedia recommended.

I'm a P4 applying for a grad intern position. One of the chain stores said they want me to do a follow-up interview in a high-demand area on the other side of the country. This is approximately 2000 miles of travel each way for the interview.

It's not clear to me if they will pay for my flight and hotel. Would this be a reasonable request? They only gave me about 12 days notice and tickets are expensive. I'm still on a student budget and I'm don't want to waste my time if they are not serious.

If you REALLY want to work there, then get ready to pay for it yourself. Otherwise, is it really worth paying to secure a retail job?

is phone interview an option?

Reactions: 1 user
Like everyone said, you can ask, but I highly doubt they will pay for the trip. I'd request a video interview, they might be amenable to that.

It used to be the norm for places to pay for transportation (at least non-big chain jobs). Although recently I have had a hospital pay me mileage and hotel and another pay for my flight - so it is still possible IF the company is in big enough need.

Several schools paid for my travel and hotel when I was interviewing for masters degree programs. I was surprised when the pharmacy schools didn't do it. I wonder if that was a sign of things to come.

Several schools paid for my travel and hotel when I was interviewing for masters degree programs. I was surprised when the pharmacy schools didn't do it. I wonder if that was a sign of things to come.
many masters degree programs are generally paid positions -correct? (at least PhD programs are) - no pharmacy school is going to pay for your travel

Maybe 10 years ago, not anymore. If you get the job, the cost will be negligible in the long run. If they want you to fly across the country then I'm guessing they're serious.

I flew out for an interview with CVS in 2013 that was not reimbursed. Flew for one with a large pediatric hospital in 2015 which was reimbursed. It just depends. In the case of the hospital, they arranged the flight and transport for me.

I flew to 2 hospital interviews across the country and was not reimbursed. I think most pharmacist jobs don't reimburse nowadays :(

OP, you feeling OK? You're talking crazy so you might wanna take your temperature.

Just FWIW if they don't even want to meet you in person (phone interview only), beware... I learned the hard way