About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Crossing State Lines to Buy Sudafed

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by PharmDstudent, Feb 25, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. PharmDstudent

PharmDstudent

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    An agency reviewed our Sudafed log a few weeks ago, and they commented on how many people were traveling to buy Sudafed.

Not too long ago, someone tried to buy a package, but the computer said that they had exceeded their limit. We didn't sell it, but it's still a little unnerving.

The 24hr Sudafed seems to be "popular".

Any comments? Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
  2. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Secundum Artem PharmD

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    my friend busted a bunch of people for this. they crossed the state line, they each bought a bunch of sudafed, it caught his suspicions and then the computer said over limit. He had them arrested for it... apparently they had a car full of it.
  3. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Where I live this happens all of the time. Mostly people cross out of Kentucky to buy Sudafed. This is going to be a problem untill states are more uniform in tracking sells.
  4. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 10+ Year Member
    Alot of those "travelers" aren't from out of town. Fake IDs are easier to pass when the person checking them out is less familiar with the format.

I declined a fake temp ID from "Oregon" once. It was done on an inkjet and had started to smear. The thing was obviously photoshopped. He also goodfed up on the background, head size, and the size of the ID number that runs vertically next to the photo.
  5. PharmDstudent

PharmDstudent

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    All of the "out-of-staters" used a photo ID, not a license. They could be using fakes. Like Banana said, IDs from other states are unfamiliar, so people are less likely to question authenticity.

The DEA cops said that if companies follow protocol for Sudafed sales, it aids in the enforcement of meth manufacturing. Basically, it's a good way to track these people and at least we know they're being "watched". No matter what, I won't sell it if they're over the limit.

I hate selling 24hr Sudafed, especially when the person looks suspicious. Meth labs are just too dangerous.
  6. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 10+ Year Member
    That's curious. It sounds like a counterfeit ID ring may be involved. I bet that's why an agency came to look at your records. We had a counterfeit ID ring going in our area, which is where alot of the OR driver's licenses were likely coming from. It doesn't make alot of sense for the out of state stuff to be mostly ID cards. Driver's licenses should be much more prevalent.
  7. PharmDstudent

PharmDstudent

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    It's very curious. I don't like it at all.

This might shed a little light... Article.

The first time that I saw one of those IDs, I tell the guy to his face that it looks fake. Then I show it to the pharmacist. The pharmacist says that he doesn't know what the out-of-state ID is suppose to look like, so he can't tell if it's real or not. Thirty minutes later, another person comes in to buy the Sudafed with an ID from the same state.

After those people leave, my boss tells me that if I want a little customer service training, he'll help me out. I look at him like he just lost his mind, so he tells me that I shouldn't question someone with an ID and that it's poor customer service or something like that.
    After that, I feel like crap.

Not to worry though... things turned out my way when the agency came in to review the log after the fact. My boss even tells the agency that there were people from out-of-state purchasing Sudafed back-to-back. So basically, he gets all of the credit for my suspicions, and I get to manage the pharmacy while he prints out the log :rolleyes:

I love curiosities, mysteries and detective work. Maybe I'll be a detective when I retire :cool: I've got enough intuition for the job :p
  8. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is so true, my dad responded to a call that was a meth lab explosion, his whole fire department ended up in the hospital that night for possible chemical pneumonia. Not to say, the department had to replace a good portion of the turn-out gear that they had just purchased.
  9. Old Timer

Old Timer SDN Advisor SDN Advisor

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Glad I work for CVS, it's all done on line. I sold a Sudafed in PA to someone with a Nevada drivers license. Scanned th license and it was approved on line.... We use MethCheck
  10. futurepharmer12

futurepharmer12

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    We are right in the middle of the state, so out of state people are a little less common. However we do have people who hit every town on a particular interstate. The 12h stuff is the popular stuff at our store. It comes store brand, and there are a few more milligrams per box than the brand 24h stuff.

We have the computer check too, so they don't usually get anything.
  11. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    Out of state PSE purchases are probably close to half of what we sell. But my store is located in downtown Denver where there is a huge traveler population.
  12. Farmercyst

Farmercyst Lowest common denominator Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    Part of the application for utility service was DL/ID # so I used to be pretty good at whether or not the #'s were valid. Can't speak so much to the design. Though you'd think if you're in a high traffic area for out of state licenses you'd get used to what legit ones should look like.