PhD/PsyD Crowdfunding Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spector0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on crowdfunding research? I have been exploring funding options for my masters, and while I am looking to write two formal grants, Im not excited about waiting until spring for the results as is like to start running subjects sooner.

I have been asking around my department, and I feel like a pariah for asking about money that doesn't come from the traditional mrchanisms. Frankly, I feel a great deal suspicion, which I am actually completely fine with, provided there is a sound reason besides "no one has ever asked" and "i don't like that idea".

Again, I know and appreciate traditional grants and scholarships, but are there valid ethical concerns about using sites like www.experiment.com or indiegogo, or are people saying no because they can't serve themselves a slice of the pie?

Members don't see this ad.

It is an interesting thought. My concern is that there is likely some rule, somewhere, at your university that you would be breaking (one of the first lessons I learned when I became a faculty member is to check on everything, because there are rules about everything...even what brand of soda you can buy using university money. Thus, I would probably check with your school's sponsored programs office and perhaps office of research compliance (IRB).

That said, I know of researchers who ask for contributions for research (Marsha Linehan immediately comes to mind, but it is run through the university's foundation https://www.washington.edu/giving/make-a-gift/?source_typ=3&source=PSBRTC). I have thought of doing this, but have held back due to the time that is involved as well as the risk of doing anything that is out of the norm as a junior faculty member.

My advice is try to stick with actual grants, as they have a lot more prestige and there shouldn't be an issue with going through these mechanisms. That said, I encourage you to think a bit outside the box with these applications. There are a lot of grant funding foundations, or service grants that allow you to have a research component (I have a SAMHSA grant that allows up to 15% of the budget to be used for program evaluation). Thus, it isn't NIH/NSF or bust. One thing people often don't know is that, if I am not mistaken, when a not-for-profit company turns for-profit they have to leave a foundation in that state that can only give grants to individuals in said state. Our state has a Blue Cross Blue Shield foundation because of this, and it is another good source of some money if you are creative. Many universities have internal grants as well...just be sure to look under every rock. Good luck!

I have consulted with the appropriate office at my institution, and the they told me no one had ever asked, and are supposed to be getting back to me. That being said, the conspiracy theorist in me would probably assume that this is because they are either trying to figure out how to extract overhead, or write a rule for something that didn't exist previously stating that unless they get overhead, the funding or research cannot conducted with institution resources, even though I'm a student.

Again, that's just a thought in the back of my head. Maybe I'll get the green light and all my concerns will have been for nothing.

I have thought about funneling the funds through our foundation. However, to be frank, I have been told that the foundation isn't going to want to waste their time with anything under 5 digits. My project is achievable with less than $2000, and I don't feel that entering a situation with additional red tape makes sense if the funds aren't going to be a priority to them, when it's clearly a priority to me and my research.

I am currently pursuing two grants and a large fellowship. My institution doesn't offer anything for graduate students, plain and simple. That much I have confirmed. I have scoured grantforward and pivot, but nothing really applies. About the only two I've identified as being realistic are through the APA. Those I am applying for.

The entire process has me really disappointed. I understand why universities and institutions have rules. I understand why they take overhead. And I certainly can appreciate the function of the foundation. What I am really struggling with is how some people have responded to this exploration. I would like this to be educational. I would like to understand the rationale behind the answers I've been receiving to better understand the process. Hell, if I want to pursue research as a career, it's probably really good information to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
You also might want to look at the Psi Chi graduate student research award and other sources through APS. There are other options for grad student funding too depending on your area. Check out joining Sigma Xi, for example.

Reactions: 1 user
If the experiment is simple, you may want to consider Amazon Turk - where you can pay users about less than $1 to complete things online. There are things to keep in mind (attention checks, restrictions) when using these platforms - run a search for articles on it.

My project will require seeing subjects face to face, but that's a great resource I'll keep in mind for any future studies. I'll also check into Sigma Xi. Thank you guys for the encouragement!