C's in Chem 1, 2 and Physics 1..Am I more or less screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a rough year and did awful in the Chemistries. I'm wondering if retaking them will be pointless or not or if somehow I pulled off A's in Organic 1, 2 and Biochem it would offset this?

I understand most med schools don't do retake grades. It was the second time I took Chem 1. I know this looks really bad. I've aced all my upper level biologies (cell bio, genetics, micro, histology) but can't seem to get the core chems down.

Where should I go from here? Just give up or could I some how overcome it? With my cumulative GPA very low (2.75) and getting up there in age (almost 27) i'm not feeling too confident going forward.

Members don't see this ad.

... getting up there in age (almost 27)

I lol'd at that, sorry. But seriously, what is the problem with the chemistries? Is it the math part or the conceptual part you are not getting? Considering your physics grades I'm guessing math. I hate chemistry not because it's hard but because it's uninteresting to me, but I put in the hours none the less to make A's because I realize it's part of the game. Are you going to office hours? Are you going to SI sessions if your school offers them? Are you taking advantage of tutoring services? Are you using common sense and checking out the profs before you take their courses? Getting a B in a few hard sciences bracketed by truckloads of A's is understandable but C's, especially several of them and especially in retakes says either you lack the ability to process the info or that you are simply not putting in the time. Figure out which of those two it is and then you have your answer about whether it is time to give up.

Reactions: 1 users