CSE major wanting to become a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigirose21

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a CSE student, taking a year off to raise money to continue school. I am a first generation college student, and am paying for school on my own. I just moved back from Seattle to Texas (out of state tuition is rough) and while financial aid did cover a lot of my tuition, I still had to pay a large sum on my own and refuse to take up loans during my undergrad years. I have realized that my passion does not lie in computational engineering or programming, but it lies in innovation and helping others. I did however choose CSE because I'm good at it, and have an extensive background in it, on top of the fact that it can be location independent (travel nut). Choosing Medicine would be a more enriching educational route, since I'd be starting from the ground up. I am working in the meantime for a private practice, as an assistant and my technical edge is what got me hired. While CSE has boosted my confidence and has empowered me as a woman, and is beneficial to society and helps others (indirectly), and is shaping every field from education to oil, I can't imagine myself feeling fulfilled writing code for the rest of my life. CSE is in my comfort zone, and I chose it because it felt comfortable. I am a people-person and want to work with them directly. The doctors at the practice have encouraged me to look into medicine. It has been an idea that has crossed my mind a lot since high school, but I always shut it down because I didn't think I was "smart" enough or good enough for it. I am prepared for a challenge, and am a hard and disciplined worker. I don't know where to start, but would it be a good idea to change my major or to keep it, since it would give me an edge as a doctor. I've worked as a preschool assistant teacher through out college, and have a particular interest in becoming a pediatrician,maybe pediatric surgery. It would be a dream to work for a non profit such as MSF, to pursue my passions of travel and helping others. But what are ways that I can use my background in CSE in the medical field, as a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

[/QUOTE]
Idk, you could do interesting stuff in emr design, research using case methods like natural linguistic techniques, data trawling for research.cmio jobs
Hi guys, I'm a CSE student, taking a year off to raise money to continue school. I am a first generation college student, and am paying for school on my own. I just moved back from Seattle to Texas (out of state tuition is rough) and while financial aid did cover a lot of my tuition, I still had to pay a large sum on my own and refuse to take up loans during my undergrad years. I have realized that my passion does not lie in computational engineering or programming, but it lies in innovation and helping others. I did however choose CSE because I'm good at it, and have an extensive background in it, on top of the fact that it can be location independent (travel nut). Choosing Medicine would be a more enriching educational route, since I'd be starting from the ground up. I am working in the meantime for a private practice, as an assistant and my technical edge is what got me hired. While CSE has boosted my confidence and has empowered me as a woman, and is beneficial to society and helps others (indirectly), and is shaping every field from education to oil, I can't imagine myself feeling fulfilled writing code for the rest of my life. CSE is in my comfort zone, and I chose it because it felt comfortable. I am a people-person and want to work with them directly. The doctors at the practice have encouraged me to look into medicine. It has been an idea that has crossed my mind a lot since high school, but I always shut it down because I didn't think I was "smart" enough or good enough for it. I am prepared for a challenge, and am a hard and disciplined worker. I don't know where to start, but would it be a good idea to change my major or to keep it, since it would give me an edge as a doctor. I've worked as a preschool assistant teacher through out college, and have a particular interest in becoming a pediatrician,maybe pediatric surgery. It would be a dream to work for a non profit such as MSF, to pursue my passions of travel and helping others. But what are ways that I can use my background in CSE in the medical field, as a doctor?

1. Pick a major that will allow you to get the highest GPA and which interests you. If you feel confident that CSE would do that go ahead.
2. You will need volunteering efforts, possibly research, direct patient contact and a clearer statement of why medicine. Travel and helping people could apply to a plethora of other jobs like NGOs beurocrats, water and sanitation workers, military peacekeepers etc.
3. In addition to the CSE requirements you will need to complete pre-reqs
4. It is early in your exposure to medicine I would suggest to give it more thought.
5. I will disagree with GORO below and say CSE does have a role in medicine here are few examples
i. EMR design.
ii. Large dataset analysis
iii.Study design using CSE methods( natural language studies)
IV. Device design in biomonitors
V. Analyzing and applying the data in IV
VI.CMIO roles
VII. Medical Device design

A large portion of the above would probably be better off with MD involvement. However none of what is stated above would mean working with people, traveling, etc so is completely at odds with what you are saying you want to do.

No.

But what are ways that I can use my background in CSE in the medical field, as a doctor?

Idk, you could do interesting stuff in emr design, research using case methods like natural linguistic techniques, data trawling for research.cmio jobs

1. Pick a major that will allow you to get the highest GPA and which interests you. If you feel confident that CSE would do that go ahead.
2. You will need volunteering efforts, possibly research, direct patient contact and a clearer statement of why medicine. Travel and helping people could apply to a plethora of other jobs like NGOs beurocrats, water and sanitation workers, military peacekeepers etc.
3. In addition to the CSE requirements you will need to complete pre-reqs
4. It is early in your exposure to medicine I would suggest to give it more thought.
5. I will disagree with GORO below and say CSE does have a role in medicine here are few examples
i. EMR design.
ii. Large dataset analysis
iii.Study design using CSE methods( natural language studies)
IV. Device design in biomonitors
V. Analyzing and applying the data in IV
VI.CMIO roles
VII. Medical Device design

A large portion of the above would probably be better off with MD involvement. However none of what is stated above would mean working with people, traveling, etc so is completely at odds with what you are saying you want to do.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the helpful advice! I worded that weird, I mean travel and helping people isn't why I want to get into medicine, but why I would want to work for a non profit like MSF. I'm going to use this gap year to explore more into the med field, I've actually scheduled to shadow some physicians at the memorial hospital near by, and will start my volunteer program there next week!