CSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorporateFatCat

UC Davis c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread created for Colorado yet so I figured I'd start one for my question. Umm...so what's with this new ETS-PPI (personal potential index)? Are they telling me now that not only do I need to harass my LOR writers to write but also to fill out this silly survey? I'd like to know how long it is so that I know what I'm signing my people up for. Is this just ridiculous or what? Anyone know of any other schools who are using this service this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't see a thread created for Colorado yet so I figured I'd start one for my question. Umm...so what's with this new ETS-PPI (personal potential index)? Are they telling me now that not only do I need to harass my LOR writers to write but also to fill out this silly survey? I'd like to know how long it is so that I know what I'm signing my people up for. Is this just ridiculous or what? Anyone know of any other schools who are using this service this cycle?

I completely agree! I feel bad enough harassing my LORs about VMCAS....ETS claims the PPI is only about ten minutes- not sure how long it actually is though. My references haven't completed it as of yet. I am
sure it is of some benefit to the ad com..I just wish that everything was in one place on VMCAS rather than two separate evaluations- would make things much easier!:oops:

i think this ETS-PPI crap is REEDEEKULOUS!!! like seriously! why require a separate recommendation system from VMCAS?? obviously it's working for other schools so why add another hassle for eLOR writers? it's such a pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent my evaluators notification of it, and one of them submitted literally the next day. I think it's going to be a real pain to get the rest of them to do it, but in terms of its difficulty, I think it's pretty minimal.

I think that they are just trying to use different information to give them a better idea of who the applicant is and what they are capable of. Using GPA and GRE is one thing, but since all schools/courses/grading systems are not equal, the PPI could be a way of leveling the playing field and identifying those who may be qualified but not necessarily showing it with numbers. Just my guess, though.

I was wondering if anyone else has started on the supplemental "uniqueness" essay question. It's really not even an essay because we are limited to 600 characters (yikes). I am thinking the prompt wants us to back up the unique qualitites with examples from our experiences, but I just don't have enough space! Anyone else encountering this or interpreting the prompt differently?

A. Based on your past experience(s), what unique qualities will you bring to the veterinary program and profession? (limit 600 characters)

I was wondering if anyone else has started on the supplemental "uniqueness" essay question. It's really not even an essay because we are limited to 600 characters (yikes). I am thinking the prompt wants us to back up the unique qualitites with examples from our experiences, but I just don't have enough space! Anyone else encountering this or interpreting the prompt differently?

Yes, that and the diversity essay (unless they've chucked that) are very short. So I think the key is to make a concise but thoughtful comment about yourself. I don't think specific examples from your experiences is necessary since you don't have room for that as long as you give context about where your thoughts came from. I don't have my essay on me at the moment, but I wrote about how even though I am passionate about shelter medicine and pet overpopulation, I have been in the position to rely on these organizations to care for my own pets, and therefore bring with me an understanding of the hardships that loving owners can sometimes run into. That I will try not to get into the you vs. them mentality and pass judgment in these situations, and try to help those who can't adequately care for their animals anymore with compassion.

I thought that added a unique twist to my application, since my personal statement was all about managing high volume animal facilities (shelters/rescues) and euthanasia. Since this is a uniqueness essay, I'd personally stay away from rehashing your academics or animal/vet experiences unless they were truly unique or really adds to your application. Or at least think about it beforehand from the perspective of adcom members who will be reading hundreds of apps. What you think is unique in the context of your life might not be as unique as you think it might be. (e.g. don't do the "I did an honors thesis project that only top 10% of my major does")

honestly, i don't think it matters what you put on there as long as it makes you stand out and it fits within the character limit.

Tufts has a similar question on their application but they at least give you 500 words to write about it. While I was wait listed there last year, they said they really liked that I thought outside of the box and talked about something completely unrelated to animals and veterinary medicine. I tried to do that for both these supplemental essays, although I will agree it's incredibly difficult with only 600 characters, but I feel like that's kind of the approach they're going for as well. While they are glad to know you're passionate about what you want to do, they seem to be interested in knowing what makes you unique in a completely different way. Now I'm just waiting for my friend to get back to me after reading over all my essays so I can submit them.

Does anyone know how to access the materials page that is now open?

i was wondering the same thing...i'm guessing we have to submit the supplemental app first before we can access this page right?

i'll probably be submitting my supplemental app tonight (if i can get this darn uniqueness essay done) -- i will let you know :)

i'll probably be submitting my supplemental app tonight (if i can get this darn uniqueness essay done) -- i will let you know :)

...isn't it only like three sentences? Just wondering :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...which is partly the problem haha ;) i think i have the topic down, just trying to figure out how to trim it down to the small 600 character limit! :rolleyes:

yeah...which is partly the problem haha ;) i think i have the topic down, just trying to figure out how to trim it down to the small 600 character limit! :rolleyes:

Gotcha :p Good luck!

:) I'm doing the same. I wrote them, but I'm not sure if I'm happy with them yet.

i'm mainly really stressing on these "uniqueness" and "multicultural diversity" essays because CSU doesn't conduct interviews, so i really want to make a big impact with these! :)

i'm mainly really stressing on these "uniqueness" and "multicultural diversity" essays because CSU doesn't conduct interviews, so i really want to make a big impact with these! :)

I feel like I have room to list experiences but not fully explain their impact. (whine, whine, whine lol)

Hey,

Has anyone found that when they click on Review/Print the formatting of their essay looks sort of strange? When I see after I have saved it, it appears fine but then when I am in the review tab it is formatted weird (this is a for combined program longer essay question).

Hey,

Has anyone found that when they click on Review/Print the formatting of their essay looks sort of strange? When I see after I have saved it, it appears fine but then when I am in the review tab it is formatted weird (this is a for combined program longer essay question).

It could be the type of web browser you are using. My worked fine using Chrome.

Wow, I just had to log onto CSU's site to remember what I wrote for those mini-essays. Like usual, I agonized about them for days and then got inspired in the middle of the night one day. I think they're decent? At least they're from the heart, which ought to count for something.

On a side note... did anyone else not like how CSU had you calculate the hours/week you were officially engaged in work & activities? I spend a lot of my free time skiing, reading, drawing & running... which made me look like a really lazy applicant on their system.

On a side note... did anyone else not like how CSU had you calculate the hours/week you were officially engaged in work & activities? I spend a lot of my free time skiing, reading, drawing & running... which made me look like a really lazy applicant on their system.

I don't think it's there to make people with hobbies look lazy. If you had great academics and experiences on your apps, and no work, I don't think they'd use that as a minus. It just helps explain why some people don't have as great a gpa or vet experiences. I think it's just there to differentiate between people who don't look good on paper because they're lazy vs. they actually had other obligations.

Just a quick FYI for grad students-
The Graduate Student Release Letter only needs to be submitted if you are offered a spot or listed as an alternate.

i have a quick question about the ETS-PPI... I logged onto my account and it says that the status was "resent" as of 9/22/11. Is it supposed to say completed or received? the check boxes aren't marked on my CSU portal either for the PPIs.

i have a quick question about the ETS-PPI... I logged onto my account and it says that the status was "resent" as of 9/22/11. Is it supposed to say completed or received? the check boxes aren't marked on my CSU portal either for the PPIs.

Okay. So when an evaluator completes the survey, it should say "evaluation complete". THEN, once all of your requests were completed, you must SEND the report to CSU. The information should be one the portal, and there was also an e-mail sent out a couple weeks ago.

If the status is "re-sent" then your evaluator has not completed it yet...unless there's a flaw in the system.

Okay. So when an evaluator completes the survey, it should say "evaluation complete". THEN, once all of your requests were completed, you must SEND the report to CSU. The information should be one the portal, and there was also an e-mail sent out a couple weeks ago.

If the status is "re-sent" then your evaluator has not completed it yet...unless there's a flaw in the system.

According to the portal, they will accept late PPI evals. So if you can get that person to fill it out tomorrow and then you log in and send the completed evals to ETS, you'll probably be ok.

According to the portal, they will accept late PPI evals. So if you can get that person to fill it out tomorrow and then you log in and send the completed evals to ETS, you'll probably be ok.

Yes. In fact, I don't think they put an official due date on the PPI reports. They just said they would prefer to get them the week of Oct. 3rd. Any questions you can probably contact Janet Janke.

Yes. In fact, I don't think they put an official due date on the PPI reports. They just said they would prefer to get them the week of Oct. 3rd. Any questions you can probably contact Janet Janke.

So I nearly freaked out b/c I read it took 15 days for the EPI to be sent (I sent my OCT 2). This is what Janet told me FYI!

The 15 days is for a paper copy, we are working with the electronic copy which is three business days. We will accept the ETS PPI evaluations through the end of next week. Your application will be fully reviewed regardless of the date of receipt for these evaluations.

:thumbup:

All my evaluators are completed... the last one completed on the 18th of september... the "resent" was under order status in my order history. =0/ I guess I'll wait until next week and if it's still not received I'll re-send it.

So I nearly freaked out b/c I read it took 15 days for the EPI to be sent (I sent my OCT 2). This is what Janet told me FYI!

The 15 days is for a paper copy, we are working with the electronic copy which is three business days. We will accept the ETS PPI evaluations through the end of next week. Your application will be fully reviewed regardless of the date of receipt for these evaluations.

:thumbup:

It took mine about 18 + days to send...loathe :mad: ets-ppi

It took mine about 18 + days to send...loathe :mad: ets-ppi

Haha. Well, I was freaking out because my order was processed on the 27th, but CSU didn't say they had it until like Oct 18th. They apparently didn't think the report that came in was mine because it was missing the apostrophe in my last name...I even called ETS to try to resend it and everything, which they said they were actually unable to do. Luckily it was found. I nearly had a heart attack.

oy...i really want to hear back from them about the decision...just to have peace of mind about whether i'm at least accepted/rejected SOMEWHERE. if i at least get into CSU (and i don't think i have that great of a chance), then at least i'm accepted SOMEWHERE before all the stressful interviews (if any) happen.
ARGHHHHHH

Haha. Well, I was freaking out because my order was processed on the 27th, but CSU didn't say they had it until like Oct 18th. They apparently didn't think the report that came in was mine because it was missing the apostrophe in my last name...I even called ETS to try to resend it and everything, which they said they were actually unable to do. Luckily it was found. I nearly had a heart attack.

That's terrible and scary! I think that ETS isn't the greatest system, caused a lot of problems for me, I almost had to get a new LOR writer because he was super busy with his research, luckily he was nice enough to fill it out....I am glad it worked out for both of us :)

Super sad that after phone calls and reminder emails, two out of three of my evaluators never sent their eLOR to the CSU secondary evaluation service :( I already got my denial email 10 days ago.

Super sad that after phone calls and reminder emails, two out of three of my evaluators never sent their eLOR to the CSU secondary evaluation service :( I already got my denial email 10 days ago.

Oh no!!! :(

I didnt apply to CSU but I do feel for you. With my evalutors, I told them the deadline was much earlier than it actually was to ensure there would be no disappointments.

That's so sad... If I were you, my inner b**** would come out and I'd send them a thank you card for completing the eLORs for VMCAS along with laxative filled cupcakes.

That's so sad... If I were you, my inner b**** would come out and I'd send them a thank you card for completing the eLORs for VMCAS along with laxative filled cupcakes.

:laugh: hahahaha! OMG! That just made my night!! I'm studying for my immunology practical and just took a short break... I like this idea ;) hehe

Just procrastinating a bit and popping in (actually, surprised that I haven't been doing more procrastination this way!) to say good luck to all the CSU applicants!:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

I don't frequent the forum all that much these days, but I am a first year student here and am happy to try to answer questions if I can if you PM me!

Assuming they go with a similar time line as last year, decisions really aren't all that far away!

So, who else is going a little crazy with decisions just around the corner? I have been talking to several people that said they heard from CSU last year around mid December (15th, 17th, and 21st). I'm hoping for a good holiday season, but in the meantime, I know I need to calm down a bit or I am never going to make it through finals :rolleyes:.

Edit: The people I talked to were not sure of the exact date when I spoke to them, but it was confirmed that it was the 17th last year. The two people that said the 15th or the 21st were estimating based on when they remembered the notifications went out.

Last edited:
So, who else is going a little crazy with decisions just around the corner? I have been talking to several people that said they heard from CSU last year around mid December (15th, 17th, and 21st). I'm hoping for a good holiday season, but in the meantime, I know I need to calm down a bit or I am never going to make it through finals :rolleyes:.

I'm with ya there! I kinda have a feeling that notifications might go out a bit later than they did last year though... It just seems like they've got a little more to deal with this year with the new PPI reports and modified GRE scores and stuff. Here's to hoping the admissions committee is extra awesome and quick despite all that!

I'm with ya there! I kinda have a feeling that notifications might go out a bit later than they did last year though... It just seems like they've got a little more to deal with this year with the new PPI reports and modified GRE scores and stuff. Here's to hoping the admissions committee is extra awesome and quick despite all that!

I never thought of that! I'm hoping decisions don't come out before my finals.....so that I don't freak out over the decision!

I heard today that they just began looking at the general pool of applicants someitme last week. I don't know when they started last year and if it was earlier or later, but is certainly doesn't seem like enough time to go over 1600 applications by the 17th!:eek:

Anyone applied to or heard from CSU's dual program? I'm still waiting.

Anyone applied to or heard from CSU's dual program? I'm still waiting.
I applied to the dual MBA and DVM program and was made an alternate for that program a little over a month ago. Not sure if that is the dual degree you were mentioning!

I think she means the DVM PhD program. I know the commitee has met, but I don't think they have sent out acceptances yet.

I was denied for the MPH/DVM program last month if that helps... probably good news if you haven't heard anything???

I heard today that they just began looking at the general pool of applicants someitme last week. I don't know when they started last year and if it was earlier or later, but is certainly doesn't seem like enough time to go over 1600 applications by the 17th!:eek:

Hate to ask a stupid question, it is my first time posting (time to stop perusing and jump in on the conversation) so I'll pawn off my ignorance to inexperience, haha... does this mean they have officially closed early academic review and moved into "Phase III?" I have been watching the database thinking they would announce closing Phase II and moving into III, but it seems way too late to still be reviewing those of us with a GPA under 3.2! Hoping that is the case!

Hate to ask a stupid question, it is my first time posting (time to stop perusing and jump in on the conversation) so I'll pawn off my ignorance to inexperience, haha... does this mean they have officially closed early academic review and moved into "Phase III?" I have been watching the database thinking they would announce closing Phase II and moving into III, but it seems way too late to still be reviewing those of us with a GPA under 3.2! Hoping that is the case!

Yes they have moved on to phase 3. If you haven't heard anything yet then it means you are probably in the general pot. Now they are comparing everybody using experiences etc. Good news! I know several people that have gotten in with 3.0s