CSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There were some posts on another list that people who had been outright denied received acceptances over the summer months. Wouldn't that be a nice suprise if you thought you'd been outright denied lol.

I did a quick online search and came across this blog entry from last cycle:

http://hnewett.blogspot.com/2011/05/dont-ever-think-youre-not-good-enough.html

Good news! We made a decision to make a very short Nonsponsored alternate list this year - too short. We have recently extended the alternate list, and you are one of our top-ranked candidates. Your name has now come up on the top of the NONSPONSORED alternate list at Colorado State University's Veterinary Program! CONGRATULATIONS!! I am pleased to be able to make an unofficial Nonsponsored offer to you at this time (if you are interested). I realize that you may have already accepted an offer elsewhere or may simply not be interested in a Nonsponsored offer, so please let me know of your interest either way as soon as possible (so we can move on to the next anxious alternate!).

Perhaps they overcompensated this year after what happened last summer. That would clearly explain my inclusion on such a list. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm oos, ns, didn't have the boxes last night and just read that I was denied. Bummer!

Also accepted. Guess third time is the charm.

I got in! I got in!!!!! I AM THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD!!! I applied to all these places thinking there is a chance I might not get into ANY of them! I've gotten into each school I've heard back from so far! NEVER doubt your abilities and NEVER let anyone tell you what you can or can't do!!!!!

Yay peeps! Btw for the poor lucky suckers on the waitlist I just created a thread for us to "share our joy." Hazzah

There is hope for CSU. I had a friend who started grad school with me last May. He applied as WICHE, didn't receive funding and was listed as an alternate. They accepted him the last week in July. If you are waitlisted, it might be a long road ahead.

WAHHHH!!! I got in! Congratulations to everyone else who did as well.

first of all...congrats to everyone who got in!!! :biglove:
after a LONG day touring/interviewing at Tufts, i randomly checked my CSU portal...and found out i was ACCEPTED!!!! i applied OOS as a LONG shot never expected to get in!

congrats again to everyone who got in, and good luck to the alternates!!!! :love: :xf:

first of all...congrats to everyone who got in!!! :biglove:
after a LONG day touring/interviewing at Tufts, i randomly checked my CSU portal...and found out i was ACCEPTED!!!! i applied OOS as a LONG shot never expected to get in!

congrats again to everyone who got in, and good luck to the alternates!!!! :love: :xf:

Congrats!!! Hope your Tufts interview went well!!

As for me, I didn't make the cut. Didn't really expect to, but definitely disappointed.

I'm a long-time lurker, never signed up for the forums but I've been checking this one to spend all my nervous energy on at 1 am.

Anyway, I just checked the portal and found I was accepted...YAY! First time applicant and this was the only school I applied to...was putting all my eggs into one basket but I guess it paid off!

I'm from central Colorado and am finishing up my undergrad here at CSU, so if you all decide you want to go, and aren't from CO, feel free to hit me up about the area and I will gladly respond! I love CSU and Fort Collins, so congrats to everyone who made it!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is hope for CSU. I had a friend who started grad school with me last May. He applied as WICHE, didn't receive funding and was listed as an alternate. They accepted him the last week in July. If you are waitlisted, it might be a long road ahead.

Sooooo birthday present for me then (July 28). Gah that's an awfully long wait. Nope not excited yet. Just a question, do they have a preview day kinda deal where accepted and alternate people go check out the school since there were no interviews (I know Cornell does this)?

Congrats! Foxtrot are you a member of the Arapahoe Hunt?

Tiger- They do have a pre-vet day/open house in the spring (last year was march 14th). They did a decent job but not nearly as good as WSU. Although those are the only 2 schools I can compare. I know last year there were several student either waitlisted or accepted that looked at the school.

Haha, I'm not a member of the Arapahoe Hunt :) I'm the owner of a persistently lame Missouri Fox Trotter, so we don't do too much in the foxhunting field.

And yes, they do have a preview/open house day, but I've always seen it as more of a public open-house for kids - it's not terribly informative for pre-vet people and of course it was incredibly busy. You can schedule a tour of the facility though, which I would recommend - you'll get to see a more comprehensive view of the facility and have a more one-on-one experience.

Hello all! I'm absolutely excited/scared :scared: about hearing that decisions are coming through already. I was just wondering, as far as WICHE applicants are concerned (as I'm one), would I have received my rejection by now if that's what the adcom already decided? Or will I hear of that in January along with the acceptances? So far my admission status just says pending still.

You'll hear mid-January. The WICHE office has to hear from all three schools and then rank the students, report back to the schools so they can send out offers. I'm afraid OSU usually takes there time.

Congrats to all the other acceptances and waitlisters!

And to those who got rejected, stick with it!!! I had an embarrassing undergrad GPA and worked my butt off to get to this point. You don't need a 4.0 with a 1400 GRE, so keep getting experience and keep getting A's in the classes you're in. Volunteer and do something to set yourself apart from other applicants! It'll happen!

So excited for VET SCHOOL!!! :D

I got in!!!! Now I'll probably be pm'ing you about the foxhunter Wycolo. Everyone wish me luck on my combined program interview (January 6). Soo excited. Congratulations to all who got in!

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, but I received an acceptance email from CSU today :)
I am overjoyed because I considered Colorado a major longshot and this is my first year applying(!!!). Does anyone know how long we have to decide? I applied to 12 schools so I want to see what the other schools say. Thanks!

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, but I received an acceptance email from CSU today :)
I am overjoyed because I considered Colorado a major longshot and this is my first year applying(!!!). Does anyone know how long we have to decide? I applied to 12 schools so I want to see what the other schools say. Thanks!

Why does your status say pre-medical?

Hi everyone! I know everyone has been checking their portals and that some of you have heard news back! Congrats to those who have! I was wondering if anyone's status has NOT changed. Mine still says application under review. Any info or thoughts on the subject would help ease my anxiety!

Only the Colorado and Non-sponsored (OOS) spots have been decided - if you are a WICHE applicant (your location says Nevada, so I would think so?), you will hear back in mid-January, according to the portal. If not, I would contact someone at the admissions office to see why your decision was not posted.

I am WICHE and I received an email. This is what the first 2 paragraphs of my email stated:

Congratulations! We are pleased to make you an early offer of admission for a Nonsponsored position in the veterinary program at Colorado State University! Please note: This is not a WICHE offer. This does not take you out of the running for a WICHE position; however, we will not find out if we can make you a WICHE offer until the combined rankings come back from the central WICHE office later in the year. In the meantime, we want you to know we want you to attend CSU's veterinary program!

Regardless of whether or not you accept, decline, or just sit on the Nonsponsored offer and wait to find out about a potential WICHE offer, it will not affect your WICHE state ranking or our willingness to make you a WICHE offer (if your name is released by the central WICHE office as a candidate to whom we can make a WICHE offer). In the end, we just want you to know we ranked you high in your WICHE state, but if your name is not released as a candidate to whom we can make a WICHE offer, we hope you will consider our offer to attend CSU's veterinary program as a Nonsponsored student.

Also a WICHE student that received an email. I checked my portal to look at my status and it hadn't been updated and now I can't find it. However, as stated before WICHE applicants will not be notified until January or so if they are offered a WICHE seat.

Hi,
I, too, am OOS and completely shocked/thrilled/freaking out that I got in! Did your email say anything about when we had to decide? Mine was somewhat cryptic but definitely was clear that I was accepted. I honestly can't wait to get the snail mail in my hand :)
Congrats!!!!!

Hi,
I, too, am OOS and completely shocked/thrilled/freaking out that I got in! Did your email say anything about when we had to decide? Mine was somewhat cryptic but definitely was clear that I was accepted. I honestly can't wait to get the snail mail in my hand :)
Congrats!!!!!
I know most schools are April 15th-ish. I'm not sure if CSU is different or not.

All schools in the US have to give you until April 15th. It's a national deadline.

All schools in the US have to give you until April 15th. It's a national deadline.

Wow, did it get moved to April 15th, or was it always April 15th? I'm horrible with dates, but I thought it was always the Ides of March (which was also the day my hamster gave birth to 10 babies and then ate one).

Wow, did it get moved to April 15th, or was it always April 15th? I'm horrible with dates, but I thought it was always the Ides of March (which was also the day my hamster gave birth to 10 babies and then ate one).

wow...your hamster situation seems oddly...fitting for the ides of march.

As far as I know it was April 15th last year. I had a bunch of friends apply and have to decide.

I'm pretty sure it's been April 15th at least the past few years.

Thanks everyone :)
Looking forward to possibly meeting some of you! I plan to visit CSU sometime in Feb or March.
Good luck to everyone!

lol, and that's exactly how I miss important deadlines all the time

This is from my waitlist portal: College policy prevents release of ranking information, and there are few alternate offers made until after the response date of April 16.

It is april 16th!!!! You get an extra day to contemplate and make my life miserable with the wait:laugh:

It is april 16th!!!! You get an extra day to contemplate and make my life miserable with the wait:laugh:

Well, April 15th is a Sunday. So, instead of being miserable that day waiting, you could be finishing your taxes? Or, maybe, instead, do something exciting that day, like planning how you'll (hopefully) get to celebrate later in the week?

Well, April 15th is a Sunday. So, instead of being miserable that day waiting, you could be finishing your taxes? Or, maybe, instead, do something exciting that day, like planning how you'll (hopefully) get to celebrate later in the week?

I'll probably go on some nature hike, free from all electronic devices lol!

I'll probably go on some nature hike, free from all electronic devices lol!

All the better to be able to ignore all the spam and advertising emails that will inevitably wait to come until the 16th and drive you batty!

Has anyone received an email from an ambassador at the program?

Has anyone received an email from an ambassador at the program?

i got an email earlier in the week and a call/voicemail today..haven't had the chance to contact either of them yet though :rolleyes:

Hey everyone. I'm new to SDN so I thought I'd say hello. I've been reading all the posts over the last few months while I applied but just now decided to post for the first time. I'm an IS kid, first time applying, and just got accepted to the DVM program. I've seen quite a few other acceptances, congrats to those that were!

I've also received an email from an ambassador, but no call. Replied and said thanks for the help and I'd probably have questions later on in the spring.

Crazy to think I'll be starting the program next fall... seems like it's gonna be very hard to focus to finish my undergraduate degree up this spring when I'll be excited and be thinking about vet school all semester. Looking forward to meeting my fellow classmates next fall!

To those accepted, have you any ideas as to what you want to study specifically in the veterinary field (i.e. large animal, specialized surgery, etc) ??

Hey everyone. I'm new to SDN so I thought I'd say hello. I've been reading all the posts over the last few months while I applied but just now decided to post for the first time. I'm an IS kid, first time applying, and just got accepted to the DVM program. I've seen quite a few other acceptances, congrats to those that were!

I've also received an email from an ambassador, but no call. Replied and said thanks for the help and I'd probably have questions later on in the spring.

Crazy to think I'll be starting the program next fall... seems like it's gonna be very hard to focus to finish my undergraduate degree up this spring when I'll be excited and be thinking about vet school all semester. Looking forward to meeting my fellow classmates next fall!

To those accepted, have you any ideas as to what you want to study specifically in the veterinary field (i.e. large animal, specialized surgery, etc) ??

Congrats Veterinary 2016!

I have been accepted and plan to attend CSU this fall. To be honest, I have no idea what I want to do within the veterinary field. My problem has always been that there are far too many fascinating things to choose from. I am really hoping that something will stand out to me by the end of second year. A couple things that have caught my attention at this point are equine sports medicine (what my sister does and where most of my experience currently lies), ophthalmology (I worked for a human ophthalmologist for years), surgery (not sure LA or SA), or oncology (and boy would CSU be the place to do it!!!). Do you have any ideas about a potential specialization?

Congrats Vet2016! Just curious, but are you from CSU? I have officially decided that CSU is where I want to go now, so I am really excited that we will all be classmates! I am currently intersted in shelter medicine, but right now I am leaning towards the mixed animal track. I have heard from second year students that doing the mixed animal track doesn't allow you to take as many specialty classes like oncology though, so I guess I will have to wait and see what I am intersted in after 2nd year.