CSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, of all those accepted thus far (congrats!!!), who plan on attending in the fall? Care to share a little about yourselves? What do you like to do in your "freetime?" Are you already familiar with Fort Collins/living there/when do you plan to head out to FC? Specific specialty interests (as per Veterinary 2016 above)? etc...

I am so eager to meet my future classmates and have this dream start to feel a little more real!

A little bit about myself: I currently live in Denver. I moved here from Chicago in May and absolutely love it. I live with my greyhound, cat, and Egyptian Uromastyx, and I have 2 TB horses about 25 minutes south. I am a non-trad with my bachelors in fine arts (sculpture) and art history. I horseback ride (mainly dressage). I do historical western martial arts (swordsmanship, wrestling, dagger, and spear- all on foot and on horseback). I sew and do a lot of historical costuming. I am a huge history buff. I also love to hike and rock climb. I currently work at the CSU VTH, but I am not all that familiar with Fort Collins yet since I commute up from Denver. I plan on moving to FC sometime in July. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am not quite sure yet where my specific career interests lie.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Vet2016! Just curious, but are you from CSU? I have officially decided that CSU is where I want to go now, so I am really excited that we will all be classmates! I am currently intersted in shelter medicine, but right now I am leaning towards the mixed animal track. I have heard from second year students that doing the mixed animal track doesn't allow you to take as many specialty classes like oncology though, so I guess I will have to wait and see what I am intersted in after 2nd year.

Yes, definitely exciting that we will be classmates! I see that your location says CSU. Do you currently live in Fort Collins? If so, what do you think of it? Do you have any recommendations of good places to go eat or fun things to do?

I am also considering the mixed animal track but was also discouraged by the lack of specialty classes... maybe electives could help fill those gaps?

Thought I'd join in the sharing...

I'm just finishing up my undergrad at CSU in Equine Sciences - graduating in May. I'm from the central Rockies/ski country and am a huge outdoor fan. Hiking, bouldering/climbing, downhill/x-c skiing, mountain biking, etc you name it!

I'm a horse/large animal person, mainly - I used to show quite a bit in QH and gaited horse shows (both English/Western disciplines, but mainly western now), was on CSU's versatility ranch horse team for a while, and did a few market lamb projects in 4-H a bazillion years ago. I'm thinking I want to specialize in large animal, but I'm debating between that and tracking the mixed program. My aspirations are international and the mixed program may allow me to practice on a wider population. Still up for debate though.

I've also been working in a research lab at the VTH for the past 4 years.

Word to the wise for those looking for housing in FoCo: I've had issues finding acceptable housing past March/April. There are more undergrads than off-campus housing apparently, and last year I was lucky to sign a lease with my roommates in late March - not much was left.

Granted, this was for a 3-bedroom place (which are popular here due to the U+2 law), and I've heard if you're looking for a single/1 bedroom type deal, it's not too bad, but just wanted to throw that out there. A lot of the rental agencies and property management places start booking up for showings in February.
Apartments are much easier to get into on short notice (from my experience) - houses/townhomes seem to be the problem.

Of course, if you're just looking for a room in someone's house, you can always find that. No guarantees on finding good people to live with either though, haha. There are also people who will only rent to graduate/professional students too, so that's always an option (just not as many places).

My 2 cents, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to CSU for undergrad. I graduated last May with a BS in Biomedical science. I worked through undergrad at a reproductive physiology lab at CSU. I got hired after graduation at another lab in the same building and am currently a full time research associate working on neuro-endocrinology. Research is definitely not my passion, but the hours are flexible and it has allowed me to get a lot of unique experiences including work with bison, horses, mice, and sheep.

I work every weekend at a no-kill dog shelter here in town and I love it!

I live in Loveland this year and drive to FoCo everyday, but I lived in Fort Collins all through undergrad. I really like the city. It has lots to do and isn't too terrible far from the mountains or Denver. CSU actually has one of the highest number of restaurants around it of any college in the US (what they told me on my tour freshman year;)). There are TONS of places to eat. The Pickle Barrel and Pizza Casbah are right next to campus and are two of my favorite places to eat. There are also lots of great bars including Road 34 (1$ beer night on Thursdays) and Mo Jeaux. New Belgium Brewery and Odells are in town and have great beer.

Let me know if any of you need suggestions for places to rent without breed restrictions. My shelter has a list.

I live with my SO of 6 years and we have two cats, two rabbits (Rex-lionhead mixed), and a bunch of fish. My boyfriend is really into pufferfish.:rolleyes:. I love crafting and I always have something going on. I am learning to sew. I like to paint, draw, crochet, cross-stitch, you name it...

I ski and hike and am determined to re-learn how to snowboard this year. I have an epic pass if anyone wants to go up!

I'm from eastern Colorado--born and raised here. I've lived on a farm and ranch my whole life, so that is where smuch of my animal experience and interest in becoming a vet grew from. This spring I'll graduate with my Bachelors in biology and a minor in chemistry at CSU-Pueblo. Most of my experience is in the large animal department and much of it equine. I've worked with, raised, and cared for many different types of animals (cows, horses, other domesticated animals, racoons, and such) but really found a passion working with horses (mainly race horses) with a local veterinarian. I worked at a zoo and three other mixed animal practices as well as had a specialized surgery internship last summer. I always knew I wanted to focus more on large animal because of my ranch background though after my surgery internship I have almost decided I couldn't see myself going any other way. So now I'm thinking equine surgery?? I can't escape the fact that surgery really interests me. I saw a lot of orthopedic work on dogs, which interested me and I had a lot of fun with an internist and really think internal medicine would be a great thing to do as a surgeon. Orthopedic with horses though would be a great thing to work at though also... all the options!

I'm with everyone else.. I'm hoping as the first year or two goes by I have a lot better idea of where I'm headed. I've talked to quite a few "kids" that go to school at CSU and said they give you multiple different experiences--e.g. ultrasounding manta rays, work with livestock, etc--so I'm not too worried at this point. Right now I'm hanging in limbo over Christmas break and am looking forward to finishing up my degree. At this point it's hard to think of much else besides starting next fall.

I know the Fort Collins area pretty well. My older sister did her undergraduate work there ten years ago so I was back and forth a lot through high school. I love the town and the atmosphere and was ANOTHER huge reason I wanted to spend the next 4 years there; besides the obvious fact it's one of the best vet schools in the country. I'm curious as to where you OOS kids will be coming from. I have a friend applying as a WICHE kid, but other than that, don't know anyone in or out of state that applied. I applied to Oklahoma too, but it's kind of a moot point now haha.

I'm looking to move to FoCo by the end of July. I've already been looking for places to live, and seeing the advice above, I'll definitely be taking time the next couple months to make trips up there to check the living situation out. I have quite a few undergraduate friends there, so I'm hoping they can help me out.

This seems like it's already too long.. so I'll just leave it here for now. Again, congrats everyone! I've wanted to be a vet since I was about 10, so I imagine you're all as excited as I am.

Last edited:
Just saw that you like to snowboard. I approve! Never know when we might pass each other on a mountain and never even know it haha.

I am finishing up my undergrad at DU and will definitely be attending CSU in Fall 2012. I grew up in the Springs and am excited to move up to FC. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find a condo or townhome with a yard? So far it's been hard to find any information online. My fiance and I are hoping to get a dog when we move up to FC and will probably drive up there soon to look around.

In my free time I like to play ice hockey, hike, snowboard, and go to the movies. I am looking forward to moving up to FC because it looks like there are plenty of outdoor opportunities.

I am still trying to decide which track to follow...so hopefully I figure that out soon. It's good to meet the other members of CSU C/O 2016.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find a condo or townhome with a yard? So far it's been hard to find any information online. My fiance and I are hoping to get a dog when we move up to FC and will probably drive up there soon to look around.

I just started looking for the same thing. I have been finding several possibilities just by slogging through listings. I am finding that photos are sometimes the only way to tell. I am looking to buy and have a lowish budget so it will probably be tricky. Are you looking to rent or buy?

I would also love any info that people with more knowledge of Fort Collins might be able to share.

I've been doing the same looking for places online. I've seen quite a few houses that look to be in great shape and have quite a bit a room for a good price. I'm hoping that I can find a place to buy. My sister spent 3 years in chiropractic school and pretty much wasted money on rent when she probably could have flipped a house and made some money off of it once she graduated. I've just been using Google to look for available places. It seems there are quite a few houses open in the Fort Collins area, but all depends on your budget. I figure if I'm going to spend at least 4 years there, a house would be a good investment. We'll see if I get lucky!

hey guys! i'm also considering attending CSU next fall. a little undecided right now because i'm still waiting to hear back from a few more schools/interview...

a little about me, born and raised in the DC metro area. went to Penn for undergrad, graduated may 2011 with a bachelors in biology. currently working as ICU/ER tech at large specialty referral hospital.

i'm interested in specializing in small animal emergency/critical care medicine -- i love my job right now and can't imagine doing something else.

don't really know much about colorado or fort collins for that matter...don't even know what to do about housing, etc. haha :) i have lots of research to do!

I currently rent from Kevco (www.kevco.com)...they've been fine for me. They seem to be the only ones that update their website, and they have lots of listings especially for June and August. You could also try www.thebrandtcompany.com, those two are the only ones I have personal experience with. Otherwise a nice google search of rentals in Fort Collins will tell you a lot.

My roommates and I had to troll through quite a few properties before finding one that wasn't trashed, though. That can be somewhat of a problem - a lot of properties and apartments west of main campus tend to be much noiser and more of a party atmosphere. I like to study in my house so this is something I always look to avoid. Some owners will only rent to grad students too, so I'm going to try and see if I can't find more of those properties.

Right now, not a lot of places have gotten vacancy notices yet for next semester. So it's simply a waiting game until updates start to happen.

CSU's Off-Campus webpage has a whole bunch of resources, this should hopefully help some of you: http://www.ocssral.colostate.edu/housing-options.

Right now, not a lot of places have gotten vacancy notices yet for next semester. So it's simply a waiting game until updates start to happen.

Yes, this is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Most people will wait until the very last minute to declare their 1-2 months notice, so places don't technically open up until late spring/early summer. Don't get discouraged if you get put on a waitlist, and can't sign on for a specific apt right away if you're going the apt complex route, because it seems like that's how a lot of these places do things.

I doubt they've opened it yet, but CSU has a housing listing website that they'll let you access once they're ready to do so(it might be vet school specific, but I know you need a password to get in and they don't release the password usually until spring. first-years get first dibs). I heard that's pretty useful esp if you're trying to find a roommate or a bedroom in an apt/house to share. I was pretty insistent on cheap and comfortable and quiet, so I looked to rent a bedroom from someone who owned a condo/house. I put in a craigslist ad pretty early for a room wanted in like late feb/early march, saying that I was a grad student in need of housing, and a ton of people got back to me (many vet students actually).

Hey future classmates! I am originally from Texas (Dallas/Plano area), but have lived in Loveland/Fort Collins on and off since 2006. I am also a non-trad student. Got my undergrad in Agriculture from Texas A&M back in 2003. Worked for a while in sales...hated it...then decided to move up to CO in 2006 to take the vet school prereqs. Started applying to vet school for 2010 matriculation while finishing all the prereqs (+ MANY more!) and FINALLY got into CSU (my 1st choice) this time! I will be finishing a Master's in Toxicology in May...forgot to mention that. I have absolutely no clue what I want to do because I've worked in every aspect of the field (equine, large animal, small animal, and wildlife) and I've loved every one of them...sigh.

I have rented since 2006 through independent landlords and I've also lived in some apartments called The Argyle. They allow large breeds (had an English Mastiff until last April - - see profile pic). They are great apartments and the staff is great. They're located close to Harmony and Timberline (SE Fort Collins) and there's a lot of stuff around there including the movie theater! But, if you're in need of a back yard, I've had the best luck with Craigslist and www.northerncoloradorentals.com. But, it is true that stuff fills up quick, so better get crackin! My boyfriend and I rent a 3 br house in Loveland now and I HATE the daily commute to FC because I have to go up College Ave which is always slow! We will be buying a place in FC this summer, so I'm really pumped about that.

Anyways, that's me in a nutshell. Can't wait to meet everyone during orientation this summer! Hope everyone had a happy and safe New Year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone. I just landed in Denver and am on a shuttle to Fort Collins. The dual program interview is tomorrow- wish me luck! Figured I'd go ahead and talk about myself. CSU is one of my top choices (especially if I land the combined gig). My clinical interest are equine surgery and sports medicine. From a research perspective I've been studying heme proteins and their reactions with nitric oxides. I grew up in Texas and went to undergrad in North Carolina. I can't wait to finish up undergrad but leaving NC will be bittersweet. Outside of school, riding horses and foxhunting are my passions. The thing I currently can't get off my mind is what kind of dog I will get when I graduate. I have a list of bucket dogs that is about 30 breeds long, but of course I love rescues too. If I choose CSU ideally I'd like a house with a yard and a roommate or two. I figure that's enough for now. Wish me luck!!!

Hey Everyone. I just landed in Denver and am on a shuttle to Fort Collins. The dual program interview is tomorrow- wish me luck! Figured I'd go ahead and talk about myself. CSU is one of my top choices (especially if I land the combined gig). My clinical interest are equine surgery and sports medicine. From a research perspective I've been studying heme proteins and their reactions with nitric oxides. I grew up in Texas and went to undergrad in North Carolina. I can't wait to finish up undergrad but leaving NC will be bittersweet. Outside of school, riding horses and foxhunting are my passions. The thing I currently can't get off my mind is what kind of dog I will get when I graduate. I have a list of bucket dogs that is about 30 breeds long, but of course I love rescues too. If I choose CSU ideally I'd like a house with a yard and a roommate or two. I figure that's enough for now. Wish me luck!!!

I will be thinking about you tomorrow! :luck: You will do AWESOME! :D

I better start out my post with a Powder River, Let'er Buck! For all current CSU students on SDN, can I offer a friendly reminder who won the boot again this year...

I am a graduate of the University of Wyoming in Animal and Vet Science- pre-vet option in 2010. I didn't get accepted to vet school in 2010 and took a master's position at NMSU in ruminant nutrition. Right now I'm working on finishing my research and writing before August.

My interest is food animal/large animal with some equine mixed in. I was raised on an polo/foxhunting/post-surgery boarding facility in Colorado and most of my equine experience is from working at a equine clinic in Littleton. I have a great interest in equine medicine but practicing in an equine only practice restricts me to living in a fairly urban environment. Thus the idea of being a rural LA vet that could also serve as some form of ruminant nutritionist was created.

I enjoy skiing, running, road biking and anything equine (team roping, foxhunting, polo). I have an interview at WSU in February and won't be making a decision until I hear back from them.

Hey everyone! I just decided on CSU, and am really excited to move to Fort Collins. I am originally from Ann Arbor, and got my bachelor's from University of Michigan in 2006. Then I ended up moving to Germany and living in Berlin for about 5 years, where I did a master's in Molecular Medicine (and had lots of pretzels and beer!) And at the moment I'm working in an HIV/SIV lab in Philadelphia.

I am having the same problems with everyone else in terms of trying to locate apartments/houses! Glad to know it's not just me being incompetent. I also recently found this: http://www.fort-collins-colorado-living.com/ and signed up for a relocation package. They said they'd said list of homes for sale and for rent.

Also, has anyone looked at the summer orientation program? Apparently we're doing rope courses and need to be careful to avoid altitude sickness? Seems a bit intense...

Also, has anyone looked at the summer orientation program? Apparently we're doing rope courses and need to be careful to avoid altitude sickness? Seems a bit intense...

Pingree Park (where orientation takes place) is awesome, and from what I've heard from a friend who is a first-year, the ropes course is completely optional- so if you're afraid of heights or whatnot, I'm sure they won't hold it against you :)

However, Pingree is about 9,000 ft, so if you're not familiar with altitude, I suggest getting to Fort Collins a few days before orientation to acclimate. Fort Collins is about ~5000 ft, so it's not necessarily high enough to cause altitude issues, but it's a good idea to wait around a few days to adjust if you're from sea level.

Up here in the mountains, we deal with a lot of people with self-induced altitude sickness because they don't drink enough water or know when to take it easy (ie skiing Vail the day after arriving from Houston). If you drink lots of water and know your limitations, usually you won't get anything besides a headache that a few tylenol can't take care of. Most people end up just fine.

It looks like there is now a facebook group for the CSU vet med C/O 2016. Just thought I would point it out for anyone interested :)

It looks like there is now a facebook group for the CSU vet med C/O 2016. Just thought I would point it out for anyone interested :)

I just searched for it and couldn't find it.. You should let us know if you know anything more specific about it.

I just searched for it and couldn't find it.. You should let us know if you know anything more specific about it.

I just searched "CSU vet" and then specifically searched "groups" and a bunch of things came up-- including the 2016 group. PM me if you can't find it and I'll help you. So far there doesn't seem to be too much action on the page so you're not missing out on any fun yet!

Have any of you that have sent in your acceptance forms receiced any other news from the school? Just curious.

Have any of you that have sent in your acceptance forms receiced any other news from the school? Just curious.

Not yet. I was getting ready to post a similar question. Does anyone from a previous class (ahem... Minnerbelle?) have an idea of when information or confirmations should start coming in?

Edit: I did notice that all of my transcripts have been received and checked off on the portal, however.

Last edited:
Not yet. I was getting ready to post a similar question. Does anyone from a previous class (ahem... Minnerbelle?) have an idea of when information or confirmations should start coming in?

Edit: I did notice that all of my transcripts have been received and checked off on the portal, however.

Don't hold your breath 'cause they're really really slow. I don't remember when they first start updating the orientation website for first-years, but it has good info about orientation and survival guides and stuff that are all very exciting when you're like dying to have your first taste of vet school (the URL I don't think changes from year to year, so you might want to search the c/o 2014 thread because I think someone posted it there... you might be able to see the page as it was set up for c/o2015). But the very first official email I got from CSU post-acceptance was my financial aid award and that was like in April. Early May was when I started getting emails about laptop requirements, health insurance, and all that jazz. Once it starts coming though, it's like the floodgates have opened, and they just don't stop sending stuff to you. Then it gets kind of irritating, especially if you're busy.

Oh, and as for confirmation... I emailed them a week or two after I sent in my "yes I'm coming" form to double check, and they emailed me back saying they got it. I was also told in that reply that the portal tends to lag so not to worry if things don't change for a while or something like that. Once you're in, it's super laid back to the point where you start wondering if you've been forgotten.

I sent in my acceptance as soon as I got back from visiting my family over the holidays (haha not as soon as I wanted!) but haven't heard anything back from them. My portal does show that my transcripts were received now.

When do we actually have to put money down to reserve our seats? I'm reluctant to withdraw my other applications until I know it's a done deal :)

When do we actually have to put money down to reserve our seats? I'm reluctant to withdraw my other applications until I know it's a done deal :)

they may have changed things since I was accepted but there was no deposit for me :) kind of unsettling I know!

they may have changed things since I was accepted but there was no deposit for me :) kind of unsettling I know!

No deposit for me neither. In fact, I don't think they saw a penny from me until 2 weeks AFTER school started. I totally mean it when I say they're really laid back.

I'm reluctant to withdraw my other applications until I know it's a done deal :)

This is exactly why I ask. Im done with undergrad and pre-reqs so I didn't have to send in transcripts from the last semester. I guess once your in, you're in.

P.S. This NE game is really depressing. That's why I'm on SDN in the middle:p

Early May was when I started getting emails about laptop requirements, health insurance, and all that jazz. Once it starts coming though, it's like the floodgates have opened, and they just don't stop sending stuff to you. Then it gets kind of irritating, especially if you're busy.

Hey Minnerbelle...do you remember what the laptop requirements were? Just curious.

Thanks for all your help!

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/PVMlaptops/index.htm

This is the information they give on the website. I think these were the requirements for c/o 15. What I curious about is how many people actually get the recommended laptop? I need a new one and I debating between the recommended Dell or a Mac that meets the specs. Any thoughts?

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/PVMlaptops/index.htm

This is the information they give on the website. I think these were the requirements for c/o 15. What I curious about is how many people actually get the recommended laptop? I need a new one and I debating between the recommended Dell or a Mac that meets the specs. Any thoughts?

I have never had a worse computer in my entire life than my Dells (Yes, it took me a few to learn). Let me put it this way... I went through 3 Dells in 5 years... I've had the same Mac for 4 years without a single issue.... but that's obviously just my opinion. They are usually more expensive, but not more expensive than 3 Dells!

I would agree with the Mac vs. Dell advice above. I started my undergraduate with a Dell and had pretty good luck with it. Worked well for 3 years, didn't necessarily have problems with it. It got stolen so I decided to invest in a Mac because all my friends had them and swore they were amazing--long story short, I'm glad I invested in the Mac. I've had it for a year and love it so much more than the Dell performance wise. I don't think I'd switch back to windows since the change. Just my opinion as well.

It's good to hear that other people have had the same response (or lack thereof) from CSU after turning in the "yes, I accept!" letter. I was starting to panic and think that they had made a mistake! :/

In terms of computers, I always think the mac vs. pc debate is pretty simple. Macs are really expensive, but more dependable, generally have a longer battery and are a bit more fun to use. PCs don't last as long, but you can get pretty cheap ones and so if you have to buy two it's not the end of the world; they're also lighter and easier to carry around (I'm always nervous putting a $1400 computer in my bag).

I have a mac, and if you do get one, I would suggest you get the regular macbook rather than the pro. To me it doesn't make sense to pay the extra money for a pro unless you're doing graphic design or something like that. If it's for papers/notes/playing around on the internet/watching tv, then the normal macbook is more than enough.

I e-mailed Janet yesterday and she got back to me today saying that they will be verifying transcripts and coursework until the end of February after that formal CSU admissions will be sent out.

As far as Mac vs PC goes my BF is a computer wizard and HATES Macs so to get the free computer help I always go with PCS. He has his reasons, but I can't remember all of them

Yeah I emailed Janet as well she said "Once we have received all transcripts and confirmed all coursework I will then notify CSU Office of Admissions to "formally" admit you. You will be notified at that time via email, ~early March." She also said there's no deposit. This still kinda makes me nervous! haha but I guess I'm still going to go ahead and withdraw my applications from elsewhere.

Random question, but does anyone in Ft. Collins know of any animal related jobs? I've been searching for 2 weeks and haven't found anything except the jobs at the Larimer County Humane Society (sent my applications in for that!)

Random question, but does anyone in Ft. Collins know of any animal related jobs? I've been searching for 2 weeks and haven't found anything except the jobs at the Larimer County Humane Society (sent my applications in for that!)

You might want to check with the veterinary teaching hospital. I know some departments are really good about hiring hourlies. The only catch is that you have to volunteer for 40 hours before you can get paid. They just did a batch of new volunteers for this semester, but it may be early enough that you could still get in.

Thanks Chebanse,

I'm already a volunteer and hourly at the VTH, but since I am not a student, they will only keep you in your hourly position for 6 months. So my position will end at the end of this month. That's another reason why I want CSU to process my acceptance faster! I want to keep my job!

Anyway, I appreciate the response. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. 4 years of paying tuition (even in-state) is starting to make me scared!

Hey 2016ers,

I coordinate the DVM Student Ambassador program at CSU. Those of you with acceptances should have received at least a congratulations e-mail from one of the ambassadors if not a phone call as well.

I want to provide a bit of advice that will help not only with the laptop discussion, but in general at CSU...

Many, but not all of the "requirements" they will give you for vet school, may not be required.

When you are in clinic junior and senior year you will use a laptop to work on your cases. The computer guys prefer PCs and CSU has a deal with Dell, but for the most part students use whatever they want. Desk space is limited in the lecture halls. Those students who use computers or ipads in class, do so to take notes. Some prefer hand writing notes, that is up to you (but there is not much space to use both). We were not required to use or do anything on a laptop the 1st 2 years of my PVM program.

The laptop thing is just an example. You are all understandably excited as I was. You may want to buy any and all required or suggested items. Buying everything wont hurt you, but if you are worried about expenses you many want to clarify their necessity first.

Minnerbelle has done a great job answering questions here, but if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me or any of the ambassadors. I will try to check my account here periodically.

You will be assigned a "big sib" (mentor from the class before you) this summer. They may also be a useful resource as you prepare for your first year.

:claps:Congratulations gang!!

Hi everyone,

I'm excited for the opportunity to be a part of the CSU c/o 2016! However, I have not yet decided between CSU, WSU, or Texas A&M (still waiting for a response from TAMU). I'm a WICHE student from Arizona and I will most likely, but not definitely, end up practicing small animal medicine in a private practice.

For those of you who had to decide between CSU and WSU, why did you choose CSU? I have visited both schools and there are many things I love about each of them. If I were to compare only the veterinary colleges, I would give WSU a slight edge. I love how all of the veterinary buildings are interconnected, including the teaching hospital. At CSU, the 1st and 2nd year students meet on the other side of the campus away from the 3rd and 4th year students. I'm afraid there is a disconnect between the two groups of students and that CSU students don't even see anything cool in the teaching hospital until the 3rd year.

If I am only comparing the town of Ft. Collins with Pullman, there is no question I would much prefer Ft. Collins. Plus, coming from Arizona, Ft. Collins is much easier to get to.

Part of my problem is that my dad went to WSU for vet school and there is that whole nostalgic father/son allure of going to the same vet school as my dad. But thankfully he is not pressuring me in any direction. So again, for those of who have visited both schools, why did you choose CSU over WSU?

Hi everyone,

I'm excited for the opportunity to be a part of the CSU c/o 2016! However, I have not yet decided between CSU, WSU, or Texas A&M (still waiting for a response from TAMU). I'm a WICHE student from Arizona and I will most likely, but not definitely, end up practicing small animal medicine in a private practice.

For those of you who had to decide between CSU and WSU, why did you choose CSU? I have visited both schools and there are many things I love about each of them. If I were to compare only the veterinary colleges, I would give WSU a slight edge. I love how all of the veterinary buildings are interconnected, including the teaching hospital. At CSU, the 1st and 2nd year students meet on the other side of the campus away from the 3rd and 4th year students. I'm afraid there is a disconnect between the two groups of students and that CSU students don't even see anything cool in the teaching hospital until the 3rd year.

If I am only comparing the town of Ft. Collins with Pullman, there is no question I would much prefer Ft. Collins. Plus, coming from Arizona, Ft. Collins is much easier to get to.

Part of my problem is that my dad went to WSU for vet school and there is that whole nostalgic father/son allure of going to the same vet school as my dad. But thankfully he is not pressuring me in any direction. So again, for those of who have visited both schools, why did you choose CSU over WSU?

I didn't actually visit WSU but I was invited for an interview. I chose CSU for many reasons:
1. It was cheaper for me as an IS

2. I love the town of Fort Collins. It is a great mix of small town and big city, and there is always so much to do and see. I know someone going to school at Ganzaga and they told me that Pullman is really small, doesn't have the best scenery, and doesn't have a lot going on so you have to drive elsewhere for most ammenities. I am also a ski bum with a boarder bum bf so to fact that there are so many world class resorts in the state is a huge plus!

3. CSU is ranked higer. In lieu of jobs being difficult to find in some cases I would rather give myself the best chance of getting one solely based on the rank of my school. Whether the ranking system is legitimate or not I think in some cases it might make a difference. I also think that their status allows them access to cutting-edge technologies in the veterinary field, and unique cases at the VTH because people come from all over America to get there pets treated there. And while depending on what you want to do, this might not be relevant, I think it is always nice to stay on-top of what is new in the field.

4. I haven't started classes yet, but I think you get a descent introduction to the VTH through clubs. Though the lack of clinical experience in the first two years is something that concerns me a bit.

5. Proximity to family. This is important to me because if something happens to me or them I don't want to have to struggle with air-fare to get back to see them. My parents also help me out with lots of things like my car if it breaks down and paying for things so it is nice to be close to them for this and also to show them that they mean a lot to me.

So, Yes, I understand your concern about the lack of clinical experience, but for me the benefits outweigh this.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
There are pros and cons with any program. The good news is that you were accepted to at least 2. Regardless of what you decide they both will train you to be a veterinarian and the information needed to pass the NAVLE.

Despite reputations I believe that the type of student you are will make a bigger difference in the caliber of veterinarian you will be, than the school you attended.

For the sake of brevity, rather than running through all the pros and cons of CSU and WSU. I will just address some points of obvious confusion.

With the revamped foundations classes at CSU you will be handling animals and learning surgery skills within the 1st moth of vet school (and throughout the 1st 2 years). You will also have classes at the VTH every semester for the full four years.

One of the benefits of a big program is the number of opportunities available. As 1st year students you can assist with necropsy, work in radiology, sit in on surgeries, volunteer in the critical care unit, manage hospice cases and join the large animal emergency team. There are over 22 students clubs with regular wet labs, trainings and lectures. I continually struggle with finding time to do all the cool clinical stuff I want to do, and have never had trouble finding cool clinical cases and stuff to see.

I may have different interests than you, and don't get me wrong. There are many things that I would change about CSU. But CSU would not have the reputation that it has if they kept you from experiencing a multitude of clinical opportunities at the VTH.

Where ever you decide to go, make the most of it. There is so much to do and see. If you take advantage of 1/8 of the opportunities available to you at either school I expect you will graduate a highly knowledgeable and skilled young veterinarian.

Best of Luck!!

Last edited:
[QUOTE/]
I may have different interests than you, and don't get me wrong. There are many things that I would change about CSU. But CSU would not have the reputation that it has if they kept you from experiencing a multitude of clinical opportunities at the VTH.
[/QUOTE]

I'm also deciding between CSU and other schools, what things don't you like about CSU? I realize they may be personal preferences and/or very small things, but I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

My opinion of CSU has decreased over the past 10 years. I have heard numerous stories about vet students from CSU that only performed 1 neuter/spay or had limited abilities to transfer 'book' knowledge to practicing medicine. I also heard numerous complaints from 4th year students about the lack of case loads in food animal and equine.

Is this still the case? I hope that the foundations classes would help fill in the gaps but they won't fill in the lack of hands-on opportunities and number of cases. Obviously the crash of the economy and horse market resulted in a decrease number of cases but 1 equine medicine case on a two week rotation seems lacking. Maybe Minnerbelle can give more current numbers...

Obviously, it is up to the student to make the most of the education and hands-on opportunities but having the classes on-campus and VTH down the road does not help with the hands-on experience.

My opinion of CSU has decreased over the past 10 years. I have heard numerous stories about vet students from CSU that only performed 1 neuter/spay or had limited abilities to transfer 'book' knowledge to practicing medicine. I also heard numerous complaints from 4th year students about the lack of case loads in food animal and equine.

Is this still the case? I hope that the foundations classes would help fill in the gaps but they won't fill in the lack of hands-on opportunities and number of cases. Obviously the crash of the economy and horse market resulted in a decrease number of cases but 1 equine medicine case on a two week rotation seems lacking. Maybe Minnerbelle can give more current numbers...

Obviously, it is up to the student to make the most of the education and hands-on opportunities but having the classes on-campus and VTH down the road does not help with the hands-on experience.

I have no idea what the current case load is in each dept. I think someone in clinics or someone who just graduated last year would be the best source of info. Even if I had numbers I wouldn't know how to translate that to how busy a certain dept is or what the student experience is like during their rotations.

I'd be a bit wary about your attitude towards the school though. Just like you'll always have people who's known csu grads or the school and thinks its far superior over others due to arrogance and romanticizing of anecdotal evidence, the same can be said for negative nancies. I have my own gripes about csu, but a lot of it's because b****ing is a vet student's biggest hobby, and the gripes most likely are about vet school in general. I highly doubt the experience you'd get at csu is subpar compared to other bet schools

I'd be a bit wary about your attitude towards the school though. Just like you'll always have people who's known csu grads or the school and thinks its far superior over others due to arrogance and romanticizing of anecdotal evidence, the same can be said for negative nancies. I have my own gripes about csu, but a lot of it's because b****ing is a vet student's biggest hobby, and the gripes most likely are about vet school in general. I highly doubt the experience you'd get at csu is subpar compared to other bet schools

You are right. For instance, this year I have heard several good things said about CSU. The changes to the foundation classes and allowing increased involvement of WICHE states in the decision processes. Several students at the open house last year also spoke very highly of CSU. Again it is all anecdotal but a change for the positive is good news.

are you talking about castrating large animals or dogs/cats? because I can't speak for the large animal side of things but there is no way you only perform one spay/neuter in small animal. You have four weeks of mandatory community practice rotations no matter what you track and the surgery days are tuesday/wednesday/thursday so at the very least you can perform 12 surgeries and possibly more.

also I have never seen or heard of anyone having trouble transferring book knowledge to clinical knowledge. we are exposed to case-based learning in multiple classes starting first year so you do get practice integrating history, lab tests, clinical signs, PE, etc. I would not be worried about the quality of education you would receive here :)

I also wouldn't personally worry about having the campus split, you do move to the VTH for your third and fourth years and I really like how third year runs. We have junior rotations throughout the morning, which are one (occasionally 2) week rotations through various services in the hospital. You work alongside the seniors and faculty on cases and you get all of the exposure without the pressure and responsibility of the seniors- then you head upstairs in the afternoon for a few hours of lecture. It's nice to have a preview of what you'll be exposed to as a senior so it's not a total shock and you get to learn how the different services work ahead of time.

Changing topics:

Has anyone checked and confirmed that CSU has received their paper saying that you as a student accept their offer into the DVM program. I called admissions today and they had no record of mine--I sent my acceptance back immediately after learning I got into the program. Does this mean they just haven't gotten around to recording my entry into the program? Usually I wouldn't say this is a big deal where it's a couple months until the April decision deadline, but I'm working on financial aid and just wanted to get it figured out.

I think I'm probably just getting a head of myself. I'd just like to make sure they got my "yes" where I didn't send it certified mail...

Anyone have any experience with this?