CSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Changing topics:

Has anyone checked and confirmed that CSU has received their paper saying that you as a student accept their offer into the DVM program.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I e-mailed them to confirm that they received my paper and got a reply from Janet saying that they got it. She said that official confirmations would be sent out in February. If it has been a while I would call her (Janet Janke) and ask for a new paper because it sounds like your is lost in the mail. No need to panic, but I would stay on top of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking the same thing. I also wondered if maybe the regular admissions office and the CVMBS hadn't coordinated that well. I'll definitely email Janet though. Thanks!

Thanks for the info squeegee. It's good to hear first hand experiences from current students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys...for those of you that are also worrying about not hearing anything back from CSU, here's some good news for you!

I just spoke with Janet and she said that they're still receiving a TON of transcripts and that NONE of the students' application files have even gone over to the admissions office yet. If your portal says that they've gotten all your official transcripts, official GRE scores, and all that other crap (graduate program release letters, if applicable), then your file will be going over to the admissions office next week (I think Wednesday). Then you should get an email saying that everything checks out and that you're good to go. Janet also said that she'd probably be sending out an email pretty soon about orientation and whatnot. I'm assuming that it'll come after your file goes over to admissions, but we'll see.

Ok, so that's all I've got. Hope this helps and eases your worrying!

For anyone wondering, I talked to Janet and she said that many acceptances to the program had been recorded, they had just not been passed on to admissions yet. That process would start next week. I believe another SDN member said something along the same lines.

Also, seeing the stuff posted about 1st and 2nd year experience gives me a lot of hope. I feel like the school wouldn't be so highly ranked--and so many people wouldn't apply each year--if they didn't have a top notch program. Maybe that's just biased on my part.. and maybe a little ignorance haha.

Haha ARC99. We posted within minutes of each other. No worries everyone!

:laugh:
How random is that?! Are you in Ft. Collins (did you speak with her in person or over the phone)??? That would be weird if we passed each other in the hall to ask the same questions and then went and posted it to SDN at the same time.

:laugh:
How random is that?! Are you in Ft. Collins (did you speak with her in person or over the phone)??? That would be weird if we passed each other in the hall to ask the same questions and then went and posted it to SDN at the same time.

I'm not actually. That would have been funny otherwise haha! I emailed her and she got right back to me. I imagine she's been fielding the same email/call from every one of us the last few days. Have a good day everyone!

Does anyone know where to find apartments that are only leased out to professional/grad students? I thought someone mentioned earlier that this was an option. If not, is there any place to look for roommates from CSU, such as upperclassmen in the vet program?

Does anyone know where to find apartments that are only leased out to professional/grad students? I thought someone mentioned earlier that this was an option. If not, is there any place to look for roommates from CSU, such as upperclassmen in the vet program?

Some of the property management companies will have which properties they are/aren't renting to undergrads and grad students listed on the website. Personally, what I've been doing is going through the properties I like (even if they say no students) and then contacting the company about what their requirements are. Some properties are pretty strict on the policy (especially if owned through someone, and leased through the company) but some are willing to bend for a professional student.

Roommates...from what I've heard, it's nice NOT to have a roommate who's a vet student. Something about the inability to cease talking about vet school/get away from it all/have somewhere to sleep that is not infested with vetness. Bear in mind these are approximately 2 people's opinions. I haven't had much luck on my nightly Craigslist troll, which is pretty limited right now for pre-lease or August options. I'm also constantly watching the housing pin-up board at the VTH - so far, I have seen exactly two things pinned up there, none of which include anything for next year. However, it's about that time when all the property managers start updating their websites in preparation for the spring housing rush.

Another option, if you are on campus - I've had some luck at the annual Housing Fair. No idea when it is, but they always send out a gazillion emails about it, and post it obnoxiously all over the website. If anything, it's a good place to get free crap like candy, ping pong balls and cheap kitchen utensils. Being poor, this is great.
If you're not on campus...tough luck. No free candy.

Some of the property management companies will have which properties they are/aren't renting to undergrads and grad students listed on the website. Personally, what I've been doing is going through the properties I like (even if they say no students) and then contacting the company about what their requirements are. Some properties are pretty strict on the policy (especially if owned through someone, and leased through the company) but some are willing to bend for a professional student.

Roommates...from what I've heard, it's nice NOT to have a roommate who's a vet student. Something about the inability to cease talking about vet school/get away from it all/have somewhere to sleep that is not infested with vetness. Bear in mind these are approximately 2 people's opinions. I haven't had much luck on my nightly Craigslist troll, which is pretty limited right now for pre-lease or August options. I'm also constantly watching the housing pin-up board at the VTH - so far, I have seen exactly two things pinned up there, none of which include anything for next year. However, it's about that time when all the property managers start updating their websites in preparation for the spring housing rush.

Another option, if you are on campus - I've had some luck at the annual Housing Fair. No idea when it is, but they always send out a gazillion emails about it, and post it obnoxiously all over the website. If anything, it's a good place to get free crap like candy, ping pong balls and cheap kitchen utensils. Being poor, this is great.
If you're not on campus...tough luck. No free candy.

Where does it list that specific places do not allow students? I am in New Jersey so all I have is the internet to search for places. I am going out in March to see everything, but ultimately I cannot see an exact place of where I can live at that point.

Also, does anyone know about Grad student housing on campus? The single apartment rates are reasonable. However, I'm not sure if I can live in the International Housing single apartments

The vet school sends out a password to all of the vet students to access a vet only housing website. They give this out based on the year you are in vet school (ie freshmen get it first). I've heard that you will receive it rather late like in June so you don't have a great deal of time to prepare, and there is also what foxtrot said about it being nice to live with non-vets.

As far as finding housing that rents only to grads I think you have to find it on a case by case basis. I don't know of any websites that are offer only those types of listings. You could always contact a realty company that you like and ask if they have any grad only listings. I found tons of places last year when I was looking just by googling. Of course very few of them worked out for us because we were looking for a pet friendly, two bedroom, under 1000 a month, in a great location, with a garage. So if your specifications aren't that high you should have no problem

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know a whole lot about the graduate housing on campus, but that would be a great place to be for the first two years. This is also a great option for OOS students because it can include furniture. I know there are severallocations throughout town that offer graduate housing here is a link to the CSU student appartments http://www.housing.colostate.edu/apartments/index.htm

As far as finding housing that rents only to grads I think you have to find it on a case by case basis. I don't know of any websites that are offer only those types of listings. You could always contact a realty company that you like and ask if they have any grad only listings. I found tons of places last year when I was looking just by googling.

Agreed. There aren't any specific rental places that rent to grad students only. If that is an issue, what most rental companies will do is list "grad students considered/upperclassmen only/etc" on a specific property's listing, so you have to troll through a lot of listings. My advice would just be to look for housing that appeals to you. Some of the nicer/more expensive/well kept-up places will be likely to have this on a listing.

CSU housing: It's functional. I've been through a few of the two-bedrooms - the apartments are pretty old and small, but doable and close to campus. No dishwasher. International House is geared towards undergraduates etc who are going to school at CSU and are from outside the U.S. - it's more dorm-like in that sense, they have hall get-togethers and whatnot that tend to have this focus (I have a friend who's an international involvement student leader).

It's a decent place to start, especially if you don't have furniture(as Firefly said). Plus, rents include all utilities, internet and I think cable as well, which can get costly here (especially in the winter - I have been absolutely thrilled with my heating bills recently *sarcasm*).

Hi All!

I just made the decision to officially accept my offer at CSU! Yay!!! :)
I currently live in an apartment in Fort Collins but I'm starting to search for new housing for move-in August 1st when my lease runs out. I'd love to room with other class of 2016-ers, so if you might be interested feel free to PM me
(I'm trying to find a house to rent that's fairly close to campus and has a fenced-in back yard... I'm very easy going and my Border Terrier and I are fun to live with!)

Congrats to all the other acceptees!

Can any OOS'ers offer any insights as to how they begin to reconcile paying 30K more per year for the same education as their instate peers? Just trying to wrap my head around this decision process and can't seem to get over the financial disparity I would face should I elect to go to CSU over more affordable options. Thanks.

Can any OOS'ers offer any insights as to how they begin to reconcile paying 30K more per year for the same education as their instate peers? Just trying to wrap my head around this decision process and can't seem to get over the financial disparity I would face should I elect to go to CSU over more affordable options. Thanks.

Ok I'll bite. Yeah it sucks to know that my classmates paid 30k less than me, but I don't see why I need to justify the state of Colorado's decision to support their residents. Plus even with the oos tuition, it was cheaper than going to penn, and pretty much the same as my IS (tufts). So I had no problems reconciling it.

Ok I'll bite. Yeah it sucks to know that my classmates paid 30k less than me, but I don't see why I need to justify the state of Colorado's decision to support their residents. Plus even with the oos tuition, it was cheaper than going to penn, and pretty much the same as my IS (tufts). So I had no problems reconciling it.

Oh, I am not trying to criticize the school itself for their tuition rate policy. I really like everything I have read and seen of CSU's program. I just can't get past the fact that I will pay 120K more than most of my peers for the same education. I can understand if you have no other more affordable alternative. Hypothetically though, what if you had lived in California and were deciding between CSU and Davis? Is there any reason that I am missing to make it worth considering going OOS in that scenario? Thanks. :)

I just can't get past the fact that I will pay 120K more than most of my peers for the same education. I can understand if you have no other more affordable alternative. Hypothetically though, what if you had lived in California and were deciding between CSU and Davis? Is there any reason that I am missing to make it worth considering going OOS in that scenario? Thanks. :)

Even though I applied out of state, I would have gotten in state tuition at Davis had I gotten accepted because I went to high school in ca. Nothing against Davis, but I really disliked living in ca and had absolutely 0 desire to move back. I applied anyway because how could I not? They made that decision easy for me because I got rejected (no surprise there), but had I miraculously gotten in, I prob would have gone there in the end. If I had chosen csu over davis, I would prob be kicking myself in hindsight.

I think the 4 most common reasons people choose to go to csu oos is that they don't have an IS option, they didn't get into their IS, they are independently wealthy, or they didn't get in as an IS but got off the wait list as an unsponsored student. Though some oos students may choose csu over other somewhat cheaper oos schools, I think it's rare for someone to choose to pay $100k+ extra to attend over another viable choice.

I agree with Minnerbelle. Some students have special reasons for choosing CSU over the IS option. Sometimes that is because their IS program is not as strong in their area of interest (like oncology) as CSU's. Or they were only accepted to OOS school. In general it is recommended that those vet school graduates who pursue internships and residencies, do so at a school other than where they earned the DVM. For those students it might be better to stay IS for the DVM so they can go to CSU as an intern or resident.

Even though I applied out of state, I would have gotten in state tuition at Davis had I gotten accepted because I went to high school in ca. Nothing against Davis, but I really disliked living in ca and had absolutely 0 desire to move back. I applied anyway because how could I not? They made that decision easy for me because I got rejected (no surprise there), but had I miraculously gotten in, I prob would have gone there in the end. If I had chosen csu over davis, I would prob be kicking myself in hindsight.

I think the 4 most common reasons people choose to go to csu oos is that they don't have an IS option, they didn't get into their IS, they are independently wealthy, or they didn't get in as an IS but got off the wait list as an unsponsored student. Though some oos students may choose csu over other somewhat cheaper oos schools, I think it's rare for someone to choose to pay $100k+ extra to attend over another viable choice.

Thanks for the insights. I guess I figured that with it being so difficult to get into CSU as an OOS applicant, that most who get offers would have a really strong chance of also getting into their IS. But I guess different schools use different metrics when making such decisions. Either way, I appreciate your feedback immensely.

I agree with Minnerbelle. Some students have special reasons for choosing CSU over the IS option. Sometimes that is because their IS program is not as strong in their area of interest (like oncology) as CSU's. Or they were only accepted to OOS school. In general it is recommended that those vet school graduates who pursue internships and residencies, do so at a school other than where they earned the DVM. For those students it might be better to stay IS for the DVM so they can go to CSU as an intern or resident.

:thumbup: Thanks! Fairbanks U would be lucky to have a student of your caliber. Their loss... :)

I just decided to attend CSU as an out of state student and am also struggling with the costs. But my in state school is Penn, and when all things are considered (cost of living, rent, etc), the two schools are actually about the same price. I got an interview at Florida and also applied to Wisconsin, but I don't really want to live in either of those places, and overall CSU seems like a higher quality education with more opportunities afterward, which is important to me. It's also better for my fiance, who is applying to grad schools next year.

As much as I have heard about the decline of the profession and trouble finding jobs (and believe me, I've been reading everything I can find about that), I do think that coming out of a very reputable school like CSU will allow me to find a good job (or residency) and pay off my debt. Yes, I'll have bigger loan payments than IS people, but if I really thought I wouldn't be able to handle paying off the extra 120,000, I wouldn't have accepted the offer from CSU.

So this is me, biting the huge tuition bullet!

I just decided to attend CSU as an out of state student and am also struggling with the costs. But my in state school is Penn, and when all things are considered (cost of living, rent, etc), the two schools are actually about the same price. I got an interview at Florida and also applied to Wisconsin, but I don't really want to live in either of those places, and overall CSU seems like a higher quality education with more opportunities afterward, which is important to me. It's also better for my fiance, who is applying to grad schools next year.

As much as I have heard about the decline of the profession and trouble finding jobs (and believe me, I've been reading everything I can find about that), I do think that coming out of a very reputable school like CSU will allow me to find a good job (or residency) and pay off my debt. Yes, I'll have bigger loan payments than IS people, but if I really thought I wouldn't be able to handle paying off the extra 120,000, I wouldn't have accepted the offer from CSU.

So this is me, biting the huge tuition bullet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XddDUxY0wtVFlQaTktNVk5X3lYajhKNWc&output=html

According to these Cost of Attendance calculations:

U Penn OOS $320,994 IS $280,643
Colorado OOS $288,378 IS $161,229
UC-Davis OOS $253,665 IS $241,420

Florida's (and Penn's) COA is right around Colorado's for you. Wisconsin is significantly cheaper. I imagine due to cheaper tuition as well as cheaper cost of living.

As for me, Davis and Colorado are not as far apart when you look at costs of attendance instead of tuition alone. Hmmm... food for thought. :)

Thanks for putting that up here!! Maybe I'll enlist you to do all my choices :) REALLY sad that Davis instate is expensive!!

But holy shiz, Upenn is ridic.

Just found out that I did not get a spot in the Dual Degree Program. I really don't think I can come to terms with OOS tuition at CSU.

Thanks for putting that up here!! Maybe I'll enlist you to do all my choices :) REALLY sad that Davis instate is expensive!!

But holy shiz, Upenn is ridic.

Room and board is calculated as several thousand dollars more expensive than other schools for both Cali schools. I still am a bit confused how similar factors result in bridging the tuition disparities between say, Davis and Colorado St. Maybe someone else can shine some light on this for people like me. Thanks.

Most of the tuition changes at CSU over the past few years have been based on University tuition changes not that of the vet school. Across the board tuition has increased in response to state budget cuts, increased facility costs and operating expenses. I was told the vet school is very concerned about these across the board increases and they are trying to have the PVM tuition handled differently. They want to put in a freeze or cap to limit additional raises. A 10% increase across the board for OOS students results in huge changes in vet school costs compared to undergrad. Anyway, don't consider the cost of tuition as always the cost of education. Most vet schools are part of universities and many factors are involved in tuition costs. In short, the vet school at CSU is not behind increasing tuition, CSU in general is in response to decreased state funding.

Sorry to belabor the financial component of CSU vs. other programs. Just trying to get my bearings on this decision process.

So, according to those google docs that were compiled on another thread, I should look at the total cost of attendance instead of solely at tuition. This is where things get confusing:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XddHJmTmtManA0b0FGNXdWY1k2WGVTNnc&output=html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XddDUxY0wtVFlQaTktNVk5X3lYajhKNWc&output=html

CSU OOS COA: $288,378
CSU OOS tuition: $238,359

UC-Davis IS COA: $241,420
UC-Davis IS tuition: $147,805

Is it really possible that cost of living expenses at Davis are double what they are in Fort Collins? Or are there other fees and costs that attribute this disparity? I guess I can go look on the websites for the schools for more specifics. Just something that jumps out at me. The difference between tuition and COA at CSU is only $12K per year it seems, while the same value is close to $25K per year at Davis. Any thoughts :confused: Am I interpreting these numbers correctly :confused:

Just found out that I did not get a spot in the Dual Degree Program. I really don't think I can come to terms with OOS tuition at CSU.

Sorry to hear that! :( When I was rejected for the DVM/MPH program, I pretty much lost my interest in the school bc of the cost too. Such a shame because it is so beautiful there! Have you heard from any other combined programs? :)

So, here is what I found on the school websites:

CSU:

Tuition & General Fees
$23,498
Support Fee
$29,500​
Room & Board (Living Expenses)
$8,622​
Books & Supplies
$1,404​
Personal & Miscellaneous
$1,692​
Health Insurance
$2,010​
Total
$66,726​

UCD:

Registration Fees $32,976
Books & Supplies $3,856
Housing $9,484
Food $3,834
Personal $2,444
Transportation $1,850
TOTAL $54,444

Hmmmm... so books and supplies at Davis cost close to $10K more over 4 years. Food does not seem to be accounted for with the CSU COA and attributes another $15K difference. Personal and Transportation are lumped together at CSU and accounts for another $11K increase at Davis. Still missing about $15K. Might have something to do with the 4th year calculations for 12 months instead of only 10 months being included in COA at Davis.

Can any current CSU students verify if the COA being used in the google doc is accurate and in line with what their own expenses are? Thanks a million. Or a quarter of a million... :cool:

So, here is what I found on the school websites:

CSU:

Tuition & General Fees
$23,498
Support Fee
$29,500​
Room & Board (Living Expenses)
$8,622​
Books & Supplies
$1,404​
Personal & Miscellaneous
$1,692​
Health Insurance
$2,010​
Total
$66,726​

UCD:

Registration Fees $32,976
Books & Supplies $3,856
Housing $9,484
Food $3,834
Personal $2,444
Transportation $1,850
TOTAL $54,444

Hmmmm... so books and supplies at Davis cost close to $10K more over 4 years. Food does not seem to be accounted for with the CSU COA and attributes another $15K difference. Personal and Transportation are lumped together at CSU and accounts for another $11K increase at Davis. Still missing about $15K. Might have something to do with the 4th year calculations for 12 months instead of only 10 months being included in COA at Davis.

Can any current CSU students verify if the COA being used in the google doc is accurate and in line with what their own expenses are? Thanks a million. Or a quarter of a million... :cool:

Do they charge tuition and fees for the summer between 3rd and 4th year? A lot of schools do.

Do they charge tuition and fees for the summer between 3rd and 4th year? A lot of schools do.

Good question. Looks like UC Davis does. CSU does not offer a year-by-year breakdown, though. I am hoping that some of their students can provide insights as to what it will actually cost to attend. Seems like the information provided might be incomplete. And with the skyrocketing costs of a DVM, every thousand dollars counts. :scared:

August -- the costs of living in Fort Collins are very affordable compared to California so I'm not really surprised by the big difference.

Sorry to hear that! :( When I was rejected for the DVM/MPH program, I pretty much lost my interest in the school bc of the cost too. Such a shame because it is so beautiful there! Have you heard from any other combined programs? :)

Nope, just finished my interview at Cornell. I don't think I'll get first round of offers, but I think their top two candidates will turn them down, so hoping I'm a highly ranked alternate. Interview at NCSU 1 week from today

August -- the costs of living in Fort Collins are very affordable compared to California so I'm not really surprised by the big difference.

So you are saying that it is not the way they calculate the COA? We're talking about around 50K dollars difference. Or are you just speculating?

Hey guys! I wanted to ease the minds of those of you who are worried like I was about not hearing back from CSU after sending in your acceptance, check the portal again. I haven't checked in a while and decided to look today. It says "Your acceptance of our Colorado-sponsored offer of admission to the DVM program at Colorado State University has been received, and we are pleased to welcome you to the DVM degree program and CSU!" WOOT! It's official!

Hello to all you CSU'ers! Congrats to all that got in and to all that are waiting as alternates (I'm an OOS alternate). I have been reading through many posts and it seems like it really is just a waiting game. Does anyone have any helpful advice? Is there anything you can do to better your chances of getting an offer? They told me I was in a spot where they admitted the person last year...don't know if thats a good thing or not. I applied to 10 schools and have gotten into RVC, Ross and waitlisted at CSU (odd mix of schools I would say...). Waiting on Penn, PEI and Georgia but I have feeling I'm not going to hear good news. Any advice?

Hello to all you CSU'ers! Congrats to all that got in and to all that are waiting as alternates (I'm an OOS alternate). I have been reading through many posts and it seems like it really is just a waiting game. Does anyone have any helpful advice? Is there anything you can do to better your chances of getting an offer? They told me I was in a spot where they admitted the person last year...don't know if thats a good thing or not. I applied to 10 schools and have gotten into RVC, Ross and waitlisted at CSU (odd mix of schools I would say...). Waiting on Penn, PEI and Georgia but I have feeling I'm not going to hear good news. Any advice?

Congrats on your success. This is how I see the situation. I have a suspicion that everyone that was designated an alternate was told they were "in a spot where they admitted the person last year". After all, last year from what I understand, CSU exhausted the entire wait list and actually made offers to some that had been previously rejected. Hang in there, though. There will be quite a few people that decline OOS acceptances after getting into their IS program. This is where CSU's lofty OOS tuition might actually benefit some people. While it is impossible to project how far in the alternate list they will need to go, I have a feeling many students in our position will be offered seats. Just my opinion, of course. Best of luck!!! :)

Congrats FlyingVet2012! CSU is kind of "picky" about their waitlist from what I've heard. They really won't tell you what your rank is or even if ther is a rank, and they won't use any info that you send to affect your ability to get in. I think it is really just a waiting game. But the OOS pool moves A LOT so you probably have a really great shot. Good luck!! Hopefully I will meet you in August!

So you are saying that it is not the way they calculate the COA? We're talking about around 50K dollars difference. Or are you just speculating?

No speculation on COA at all, just sayin that its way more expensive to live in Davis, CA than Fort Collins, CO.

Hello Everyone!

Im kinda late to the party it seems, but better late then never!

Im from Colorado and really happy to be excepted! Ive always wanted to be a vet, and I hope to work with exotics. I cant wait to meet everyone this fall!

Welcome Little Fish! What sort of exotics are you into? If you PM me with you real name I can add you to the C/O 2016 Facebook group.

Welcome Little Fish! What sort of exotics are you into? If you PM me with you real name I can add you to the C/O 2016 Facebook group.

Well I am a little torn between working with marine mammals, fish and to some extent corals (yes, they do get parasites too) and doing reproductive work with elephants and rhinos. But I would settle for just about any job at a zoo or an aquarium.

Anyone else here want to be a zoo vet?

Also, like everyone else here Im looking for housing and a roommate. Would any of the people in the Denver area be interested in meeting up and going on a tour of Fort Collins and maybe some of the housing options?

So I'm sure everyone has gotten their email from Janet saying that our acceptances have been received, but has anyone gotten a letter from CSU with your eID? I'm just anxious because we can't start applying for financial aid until we can log in, and everything is due on March 1st. I've already done my FAFSA and just waiting on CSU.

Is everyone else (who didn't go to CSU for undergrad) in the same boat?

I'm still an undergrad CSU student so this MAY not work for you, but if you've already gotten the "go ahead" from the portal , try creating an EID from here:
https://eid.colostate.edu

Hopefully this works...

A heads up for anyone wanting to know: I've already made my eID and I'm a non-CSU student. I did it a few weeks ago before I was officially accepted into the program. I didn't have any problem with it.. just used my identification number that was at the top of my acceptance and logged in--if I remember correctly anyway.

The only thing I see that may be a problem was that I already had a username for CSU's login portal because I was accepted there as an undergraduate 4 years ago, made an eID, and then didn't go to school there. I don't see that being any reason I was able to create one though. So in conclusion, you probably can? haha.

Great, I'll look into setting that up. Just for my piece of mind, has anyone else received a notification from admissions to formally admit you as Janet said they would?

I know this is paranoid, but after 20+ years of wanting to go to vet school I am terrified that something will go wrong! It made me nervous to turn down interviews from other schools...

I talked to Janet yesterday and she said she was sending all that stuff off to the admissions office on monday