CSU c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for Lion King, no official offer means you are still in the running for WICHE. If all goes according to plan, you will know whether you have an offer by the end of this month. My state took longer last year, but not every state does.

Members don't see this ad.

my portal says WICHE and nonsponsered alternate. Do they send you an official accept/deny eventually or do you just wait till it's all over and figure out you didn't get in???

haha NM I just actually read the page...you get sent an offer...I pay attention

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted and WICHE! They called today and updated my portal!

Reactions: 1 user
Stupid question, but what does the portal look like if you've received WICHE? SO NERVOUS.

Under the admissions status tab there is a message that basically says "Congrats, you've been accepted and offered WICHE blah blah blah" They also sent an email to my regular email address and called me yesterday.

Under the admissions status tab there is a message that basically says "Congrats, you've been accepted and offered WICHE blah blah blah" They also sent an email to my regular email address and called me yesterday.
Oh ok, now I'm a little worried haha. I was given a non-sponsored OOS offer last month, but I've been waiting to hear about WICHE. Can I ask what state you're in? Maybe Arizona just hasn't released their decisions yet.

Thanks, and congrats!

I'm an alternate and was wondering if it is appropriate to update CSU on any additional experiences (e.x. an internship)?

My gut reaction is no. The alternate list is already created (and ranked, although they won't release it). Where you are is where you are. If you're OOS, the list is more likely to move in your favor though.

Question: is the OOS alternate list separate for the WICHE people and the non WICHE people? meaning, are the rankings separate between the WICHE and non WICHE or are we all numbered 1- 10000000.... Whatever:shrug: as all OOS people ?

anyone know?o_O

Question: is the OOS alternate list separate for the WICHE people and the non WICHE people? meaning, are the rankings separate between the WICHE and non WICHE or are we all numbered 1- 10000000.... Whatever:shrug: as all OOS people ?

anyone know?o_O

I believe WICHE have their own waitlist. They can only allow so many people from each state and from what I have heard the WICHE schools get together and decide who they want of the WICHE candidates. Though I have never actally heard of anyone being WICHE and being waitlisted.

I'm an alternate and was wondering if it is appropriate to update CSU on any additional experiences (e.x. an internship)?
You can always try, but I am pretty sure that they will not accept any new information. It keeps their jobs easier because if they allowed all the people waitlisted to update their info it would be a mess.

Members don't see this ad :)
To any CSU students... I have a couple of questions. I was just wondering if you could provide some insight as to why you chose to go to CSU? And is the environment more competitive or collaborative?

I also recently learned that CSU has signed an agreement with University of Alaska for a vet program in Alaska (http://fm.kuac.org/post/new-vet-program-first-its-kind-alaska). How does it affect you, if at all? Does this mean that, as a student of CSU, you can go to Alaska as well to take their classes? Since they are planning on having classes that involve marine wildlife, fish, sled dog husbandry and medicine, bison, yaks, and reindeer? Or... how does that work? haha. :thinking:

To any CSU students... I have a couple of questions. I was just wondering if you could provide some insight as to why you chose to go to CSU? And is the environment more competitive or collaborative?

I also recently learned that CSU has signed an agreement with University of Alaska for a vet program in Alaska (http://fm.kuac.org/post/new-vet-program-first-its-kind-alaska). How does it affect you, if at all? Does this mean that, as a student of CSU, you can go to Alaska as well to take their classes? Since they are planning on having classes that involve marine wildlife, fish, sled dog husbandry and medicine, bison, yaks, and reindeer? Or... how does that work? haha. :thinking:
wow thats sounds awesome! if csu students were able to go up to alaska and have specialty rotations in sled dog husbandry and sports medicine lol I'd go.

although you are right cadiestrama, I would like to know if csu fosters a competitive environment or a collaborative one. Is the pressure of your class rank always hovering over you head with a class size of 138? I think Iowa is the only other school with such a large class size right?

Sorry I haven't been on SDN till today.

We are all really excited about the collaboration with Fairbanks because it will mean research opportunities in Alaska!! The associate dean there is a World champion dog sled racer and he researches sports medicine using his sled team. There will also be opportunities with the university's musk ox herd as far as food animals go, and whale/ seal research will be another opportunity though since the university is landlocked it would involve traveling. They are planning to accept their first students in 2016 I think, so I won't be affected by them at all, but future classes will participate in rotations with them as they complete their last two years at CSU. It is unfortunate that more veterinarians will be added to the job force, but they seem to think that Alaska needs some more so...

As far as competitive vs. collaborative it honestly depends on the people that are in your class. My class is very competitive and in general not very supportive, but the class in the year below mine is the complete opposite. They love each other!! They study together and share notes. The school itself is conflicting on the matter. They verbally encourage us to not be competitive, but we are told over and over that rank and grades are required for good internships/jobs. I guess your competition level and that of your class depends on how you choose to deal with that information.

I chose CSU because I am an in-state resident and it was the easiest/best choice for me. My first choice was to be a Dick vet in Scotland, but when I compared tuition, proximity to family, ease of not moving etc. I chose to stay in Colorado. Lots of people may argue with me, but I also think that as more and more vets enter the job force the rank of the school you went to will matter more and more when competing for jobs. I went to CSU for undergrad as well and I got an excellent education so I assumed the veterinary school would be similar. I really like Fort Collins, it has great local breweries, a quaint down town, and nice running trails. It's also got beautiful scenery and is close to the mountains where I go skiing a lot. Some of my classmates from big cities such as Miami and New York hate how small it is, but I think this is totally individual taste. CSU has a lot of research opportunities. I have friends participating in everything from elephant seals to cold laser tx in rattlesnake-bitten dogs to prion research. I would like it if we got more hands on experience in our first two years, but you can get that from clubs and jobs if you look. The administration is very receptive to input from students which I love. They are planning on incorporating business education/financial management in the curriculum and more hands on client interactions earlier, but those changes may take a while.

Let me know if you have any other Q's. I know my reasoning for choosing CSU probably won't help you decide, but I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry I haven't been on SDN till today.

We are all really excited about the collaboration with Fairbanks because it will mean research opportunities in Alaska!! The associate dean there is a World champion dog sled racer and he researches sports medicine using his sled team. There will also be opportunities with the university's musk ox herd as far as food animals go, and whale/ seal research will be another opportunity though since the university is landlocked it would involve traveling. They are planning to accept their first students in 2016 I think, so I won't be affected by them at all, but future classes will participate in rotations with them as they complete their last two years at CSU. It is unfortunate that more veterinarians will be added to the job force, but they seem to think that Alaska needs some more so...

As far as competitive vs. collaborative it honestly depends on the people that are in your class. My class is very competitive and in general not very supportive, but the class in the year below mine is the complete opposite. They love each other!! They study together and share notes. The school itself is conflicting on the matter. They verbally encourage us to not be competitive, but we are told over and over that rank and grades are required for good internships/jobs. I guess your competition level and that of your class depends on how you choose to deal with that information.

I chose CSU because I am an in-state resident and it was the easiest/best choice for me. My first choice was to be a Dick vet in Scotland, but when I compared tuition, proximity to family, ease of not moving etc. I chose to stay in Colorado. Lots of people may argue with me, but I also think that as more and more vets enter the job force the rank of the school you went to will matter more and more when competing for jobs. I went to CSU for undergrad as well and I got an excellent education so I assumed the veterinary school would be similar. I really like Fort Collins, it has great local breweries, a quaint down town, and nice running trails. It's also got beautiful scenery and is close to the mountains where I go skiing a lot. Some of my classmates from big cities such as Miami and New York hate how small it is, but I think this is totally individual taste. CSU has a lot of research opportunities. I have friends participating in everything from elephant seals to cold laser tx in rattlesnake-bitten dogs to prion research. I would like it if we got more hands on experience in our first two years, but you can get that from clubs and jobs if you look. The administration is very receptive to input from students which I love. They are planning on incorporating business education/financial management in the curriculum and more hands on client interactions earlier, but those changes may take a while.

Let me know if you have any other Q's. I know my reasoning for choosing CSU probably won't help you decide, but I wish you luck!

Thank you for your very detailed response to my questions and for offering your reasons for choosing Colorado. :)

Last edited:
Is anyone else thinking of going on the showcase day in March? I wanted to go down if I had any potential housing in mind by then and it would be cool to meet people :)

Is anyone else thinking of going on the showcase day in March? I wanted to go down if I had any potential housing in mind by then and it would be cool to meet people :)

I'm still waiting from my other schools. If I don't get accepted anywhere else, then I probably won't go. *knocks on wood* However, if I do get accepted elsewhere, then I probably will go. How about you? Does this mean you are set on CSU?

I'm still waiting from my other schools. If I don't get accepted anywhere else, then I probably won't go. *knocks on wood* However, if I do get accepted elsewhere, then I probably will go. How about you? Does this mean you are set on CSU?
I'm pretty set in csu at the moment! If I go, it is because of dual degree. I really love the research and I think the veterinary program is fantastic. Plus it would be nice to meet other students that I will see in some classes (I take some dvm classes my first year during the phd rotations, and it would be fun to meet other classmates!) I'll know for certainty if this is my final decision very soon!
Plus, congrats on your acceptance here! :)

The school itself is conflicting on the matter. They verbally encourage us to not be competitive, but we are told over and over that rank and grades are required for good internships/jobs.

Admin: "You'll be fine as long as you're not in the bottom quartile. Don't be in the bottom quartile! Do whatever it takes not to be in the bottom quartile"

Students: ...but a quarter of us by definition will be in the bottom quartile...

Reactions: 2 users
I asked Janet about this, she told me not to send anything other than fall transcript to VMCAS. They won't accept any additional info. (Additional hours, etc)
after Oct 2.

Admin: "You'll be fine as long as you're not in the bottom quartile. Don't be in the bottom quartile! Do whatever it takes not to be in the bottom quartile"

Students: ...but a quarter of us by definition will be in the bottom quartile...

Oh what happens if you are in the bottom quartile? O_O;

I didn't get in this year, but I live here in Fort Collins so if you are coming to visit and need a place to stay pm me. I have a farm so I'm always here...

Another random question, sorry, but if we are not enrolled in fall classes (I graduated last year) do we have to notify csu that we will not be sending any fall transcripts?

And Lady, that is really kind of you to do for incoming students!!! :)

I live 2 miles from main campus and the equine repro center and 4 from the VTH. I work with other hopeful students at a volunteer option for current students with two CSU grad DVMs. I am friends with several current students, so if you want a pretty good view of what CSU holds in store; I have 2 couches or 3.5 acres blanketed in stars and a few tents in my shed.

I offer what I can in the hope that if I needed it the favor would be returned. That and it took me 3 years to meet all these people, anybody else want a much faster road?

My offer is good for both new students wanting a lay of the land and disappointed hopefuls looking to review applications this spring. You just have to like animals (I live on a farm) and be polite or I'll send you to the KOA ;)

I don't think I can afford to go to the showcase... and I'm an alternate anywho... :panda:

Questions about FoCo though, if I wind up there, what are the odds of finding a place to live that is budget and pet friendly? Or where should I look? X_X What's the job market like? I'm dragging husband with me and if I wind up getting in I don't want to make him miserable or get in more debt than necessary, 4 years is a long time!

Lots of potential places to live, but rent has risen quickly in the last few years. I rent my farm, so it can be done. If your husband works in technology, food or sales there are plenty of jobs. We have a few labs and hospitals too. The jobs are pretty competitive, but there are lots except vet tech jobs. Laporte and Wellington are slightly lower priced housing. Loveland used to be, but got hit hard in the flood last year so you need to be careful that a good deal wasn't just under 6 feet of water. Weld county is even lower rent though you increase drive time and risk them eventually separating into a new state.

Thanks! He does sales, so that's probably good, and I looked at the neighborhoods you suggested and the options seemed more reasonable. Not as scary anymore lol

Anyone here that was an alternate and then offered a spot? What is the last day they can notify you as an alternate?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

as an OOS alternate myself, i'd love to hear how the lists move as well.
i believe the notification email said they have until the 2nd week of classes to tell you...

Hey guys! I'm flying in this weekend for CSU's showcase day. If anyone else is doing to same, I'd be happy to provide a ride from the airport to Fort Collins if you could chip in a little money to cover some of the gas/car rental costs. I'm getting in to Denver on Friday, a little before noon, and I'll be leaving Fort Collins to go back to Denver on Saturday afternoon/evening as soon as the showcase ends.

Hi I am new here and I also would like to know how the OOS alternate list is moving? I appreciate your help

I know a doctor who was on the waitlist and was called to be offered a spot mid summer.

The past CSU wait-list survivor dates I've seen listed are all after April 15th. Most of the movement looks to be end of April, beginning of May, with a few stragglers going all the way into August. Sigh, gonna be a long wait.

Not to make the nail biting worse but one of my references who graduated from CSU said there was an alternate that came in the second week of classes!

Anyone go to PVM showcase the weekend before last? Learn anything interesting or helpful?

I got offered a WICHE sponsored position! And I have to decide by April 15th!! AHHHHHH!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone go to PVM showcase the weekend before last? Learn anything interesting or helpful?
The chance to get a Sponsored position is small. But you have a good chance to get a non-sponsored position, because Dr. Hardy said "in state student ranks relatively higher than the OOS to get a non-sponsored position."

Hey anyone else on here from Wyoming? I'm planning on attempting to commute b/c my husband and I own a house up here in Cheyenne and rent in Fort Collins is more expensive than my mortgage plus with 3 dogs and a cat I doubt anyone would take us anyways. Just on the off chance that anyone else is commuting from Cheyenne and would want to carpool...

wondering if anyone knows what the class sizes are, I'm guessing it's split up, or at least I hope there is not 138 people in each class. Also it says we register online for our classes but do we get to talk to an advisor first or should we just register according to the curriculum they have posted online?

wondering if anyone knows what the class sizes are, I'm guessing it's split up, or at least I hope there is not 138 people in each class. Also it says we register online for our classes but do we get to talk to an advisor first or should we just register according to the curriculum they have posted online?

Usually everyone takes the same classes at the same time. Not sure if CSU is any different. Usually you sit in the same lecture hall with everyone else, though labs may be split up.

Hey guys,

You might have already heard about this sad story but it can't hurt to share. Pat is a woman who lives in Fort Collins and she is in the end stages of breast cancer. She says her dog Sherlock has been what's kept her going. Now she's trying to find a home for Sherlock but has found it difficult because he's a Pitbull mix (he's adorable! watch the video in the link below) and she wants him to be in a good home. If any of you are looking to adopt a pet please consider Sherlock because not only is he healthy, trained, and cute but you'd be doing such a great thing for someone who really needs it.

If you can't adopt him, then pass this along and maybe someone you know can. SHERLOCK NEEDS A HOME!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...or-best-friend-dog-companion-sherlock04112014

Usually everyone takes the same classes at the same time. Not sure if CSU is any different. Usually you sit in the same lecture hall with everyone else, though labs may be split up.
Darn, I get stage fright in big classrooms asking questions. I did my undergrad at a small private university so everyone knew everyone else who had the same major, I guess it will get easier as time goes on and we get to know each other, I really hope I like my classmates!

Darn, I get stage fright in big classrooms asking questions. I did my undergrad at a small private university so everyone knew everyone else who had the same major, I guess it will get easier as time goes on and we get to know each other, I really hope I like my classmates!

Hm. You could always ask questions at the end of class (like go up to the professor and ask?)

Also, congrats kenggy! Don't forget to join the FB group (that is if you have a FB account haha). And, @Fish pixie, @willbvet, and anyone else. (I hope I tagged correctly...).

Last edited:
whats the link? I tried to search it but the FB search function sucks.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure once I get to know everyone it will be easier. Dr. Hardy said the classes are the entire 138 of us but the labs are split up. Also I was worried about the elective classes they were showing in the curriculum and she said we can take whatever extra classes we want but it is not required...um yea I don't want to take extra classes thank you...although exotic animal anatomy and husbandry sounds interesting.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure once I get to know everyone it will be easier. Dr. Hardy said the classes are the entire 138 of us but the labs are split up. Also I was worried about the elective classes they were showing in the curriculum and she said we can take whatever extra classes we want but it is not required...um yea I don't want to take extra classes thank you...although exotic animal anatomy and husbandry sounds interesting.
I can't speak to the nature of electives at CSU because I don't go there, but my school requires a couple hours of electives each year and those are the only classes I'd voluntarily take again. In my experience the electives are where you get more hands on learning, maybe actually get to do things and they are usually smaller groups so you get more individual instruction. I'd talk to upperclassmen at CSU about them before completely ruling out taking them because they could be way worth the extra time/work.

If you scroll up this page... LaughingLemon posted the link. But here's the link again: https://www.facebook.com/groups/255201057988487/

Hopefully this link works? If not, try searching: CSU Vet Med Class of 2018.

Yeah. I think you should sign up for elective classes, they seem pretty interesting and like Jayna said, you could probably get more hands-on experience. And worse comes to worst, you can always drop the class? Maybe?

Last edited: