CSU c/o 2019 applicants, where y'at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wanna know about my MPH dual program :arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Meet you both there! So excited!! Although January seems to be the worst possible month to visit CO for the first time...

We're actually not too bad in January, honestly. January doesn't even mark into our top three snowiest months. But that is because we are so dry here in January and there simply isn't enough moisture here for it to snow.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're actually not too bad in January, honestly. January doesn't even mark into our top three snowiest months. But that is because we are so dry here in January and there simply isn't enough moisture here for it to snow.

Just checked Accuweather, actually...mid-40's seems survivable!

I moved to Maryland from Los Angeles in the middle of the Polar Vortex this year without owning so much as a hat or gloves, so the strategy I've adopted since is extreme paranoia.

I moved to Maryland from Los Angeles in the middle of the Polar Vortex this year without owning so much as a hat or gloves, so the strategy I've adopted since is extreme paranoia.

I'm truly not trying to mean or anything (I promise!) but as a Colorado native who went to undergrad in northern Nebraska, people moving north from south with no winter clothes brought with or immediate bought after make me laugh and think, "You will soon learn, young padawan!".

hey everyone!

out of curiosity, do they email or send snail mail for acceptance letters? i hope you guys had an awesome thanksgiving! i think I had a solid 10 minutes of not thinking about schools. :(:nailbiting:

thanks in advance :)

hey everyone!

out of curiosity, do they email or send snail mail for acceptance letters? i hope you guys had an awesome thanksgiving! i think I had a solid 10 minutes of not thinking about schools. :(:nailbiting:

thanks in advance :)

They email first, then send an official letter afterwards.

Got more info today. They are trying to make the phase 3 decisions by Dec 12th. I don't know if that is when they would also notify us, or if they'll stick to the Dec 19th/20th date for that. Also, there are about 140 IS applicants that they are reviewing now. I'm so hopeful!!

Reactions: 1 users
What about phase II? My GPA is under 3.4, but I haven't seen anything in my portal about phase II... :(

Or would they only notify if I did NOT make it past phase II? I know some UAF phase II decisions have been revealed, but I haven't heard about people with under 3.4...

What about phase II? My GPA is under 3.4, but I haven't seen anything in my portal about phase II... :(

Or would they only notify if I did NOT make it past phase II? I know some UAF phase II decisions have been revealed, but I haven't heard about people with under 3.4...

I have a GPA just under a 3.4 as well and am patiently waiting for info. We will probably know rejection from phase II (if we get a rejection) probably in the next two weeks. If we make it to phase III, we won't hear anything until late December like the rest of the folks.

I have a GPA just under a 3.4 as well and am patiently waiting for info. We will probably know rejection from phase II (if we get a rejection) probably in the next two weeks. If we make it to phase III, we won't hear anything until late December like the rest of the folks.

Ah, ok then! So in this case, no news is GOOD news? :D

No news is good news. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got more info today. They are trying to make the phase 3 decisions by Dec 12th. I don't know if that is when they would also notify us, or if they'll stick to the Dec 19th/20th date for that. Also, there are about 140 IS applicants that they are reviewing now. I'm so hopeful!!

Only 140 IS applicants? Down from 212 last year? Those would be great odds, but that doesn't seem right.

Only 140 IS applicants? Down from 212 last year? Those would be great odds, but that doesn't seem right.
Ya that seems low... Good if it's true tho! Ya my gre is low but idk if that's considered in phase 2 like gpas. Nothing in dual yet guys so I'm thinking I didn't get that... :/ keeping everyone in my thoughts!

I like that we have an insider at csu for info! :)

What I was told is that they are reviewing 140 IS applications. It seems really low to me too, so I'm wondering if there are more but that is how many made the cut to the review process. For the past two years, they did notify phase 2 if you got through or were rejected. They did that earlier in the process, I'm thinking it was in Nov the past two years.

So phase II is strictly just looking at GPA and the duals? I wasn't sure if academics and gre in general are all considered here...

NVM I think it just got answered :)

What I was told is that they are reviewing 140 IS applications. It seems really low to me too, so I'm wondering if there are more but that is how many made the cut to the review process. For the past two years, they did notify phase 2 if you got through or were rejected. They did that earlier in the process, I'm thinking it was in Nov the past two years.

So still no news is good news, meaning if you haven't heard anything you've probably made the cut, is that right?

So still no news is good news, meaning if you haven't heard anything you've probably made the cut, is that right?

This year, things are pretty different, so I really don't know about that. The past two years I applied, the portal did indicate if you made the cut or not. If your self-reported GPA was above the cut-off and your application was complete, you were sent through. If your self-reported GPA was under 3.4 but your application was strong enough in other ways, you also got through to phase 2. The portal set-up looked pretty different the past 2 years than this year, I keep wondering if there is something else I'm suppose to be clicking on to access more info. Also the instructions this year do make it sound like phase 2 is for both the combined programs and the 3.4 cut, which isn't how it was in prior years.

Just looked at my notes from lasts Spring's build-a-better-application talk that Dr. Hardy gave. She said that they'd do the review of the people who had under 3.4 GPA before they did the review of the combined programs or Alaska program review, which makes sense that they'd do that first cut before doing anything else. But again, this year sounds like they are altering how they are handling that initial cut and doing it later than previous years. Maybe asking Janet about that would be a good idea for people who are worried about it? She may be able to tell you if you made it through or if no news means that you got through to phase 2.

Last edited:
The portal set-up looked pretty different the past 2 years than this year, I keep wondering if there is something else I'm suppose to be clicking on to access more info. Also the instructions this year do make it sound like phase 2 is for both the combined programs and the 3.4 cut, which isn't how it was in prior years.

Maybe asking Janet about that would be a good idea for people who are worried about it? She may be able to tell you if you made it through or if no news means that you got through to phase 2.

I severely dislike this year's portal. It is pretty useless to me, honestly.

Janet seems pretty persnickity this year for some reason. Both times I have called her with a question (one about my e-mail log in not working and the other about PPI reports), she was very terse and non-engaging. But you never know what might be going on as well.

Ya Janet does seem off. IDK her at all but she is very short in the emails she sends. I hope everything is going okay there.

Someone should send them a pizza. Pizza makes everything better.

Oh my dog, we have Anthony's pizza here in Colorado and it is the most amazing pizza in the world!!!! Send Janet Anthony's!!

I have actually never been to Beau Jo's before, but my roommate freshman year worked at the Idaho Springs one in high school. She loved having free pizza all the time. lol.

I have actually never been to Beau Jo's before, but my roommate freshman year worked at the Idaho Springs one in high school. She loved having free pizza all the time. lol.
That's the best location!

I severely dislike this year's portal. It is pretty useless to me, honestly.

Janet seems pretty persnickity this year for some reason. Both times I have called her with a question (one about my e-mail log in not working and the other about PPI reports), she was very terse and non-engaging. But you never know what might be going on as well.

I stopped into the office where she works a few weeks ago for another reason and saw she was available so popped in and asked about my application that still hadn't been received by CSU. She fully beady-eyed stared me down..... then she gave a terse/curt answer, I said, oh ok, thank you, and zoomed away as fast as I could! You notice I didn't volunteer to email her with the question about phase 2! I'm scerd of her! :~O

Dang... That's nice..... Thanks, Janet.....

I stopped into the office where she works a few weeks ago for another reason and saw she was available so popped in and asked about my application that still hadn't been received by CSU. She fully beady-eyed stared me down..... then she gave a terse/curt answer, I said, oh ok, thank you, and zoomed away as fast as I could! You notice I didn't volunteer to email her with the question about phase 2! I'm scerd of her! :~O

0ODbrYZ.gif

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! PER-FECT!!!!!

Oh my god. Is that Samuel L. Janke? ;)

We better stop. Bound to jinx ourselves!!!

I died in the car earlier because of this. Just sos you knows.

Any other CSU joint-degree program people out there? Hoping to meet the other DVM/MBA kids if you're lurking around like I have these past few months :)

My portal just changed. Check yours. Looks like they've made the initial GPA decisions.

At the top right under where it says Application Status for.....
It says they reviewed my application and it has been returned to the general pool to go through the normal application process. I didn't realize they were doing an academic review on my application, since I calculated it to be 3.4, but apparently they did! They must have done them on 3.4 and below. Hoping everyone here is good to go as well. :)

Status Update
New updates to your application were posted December 5, 2014.

View Update

Is what it says. Unfortunately, guys, I will not be joining you this year at CSU. I figured at much since my GPA suffered this year. I was hoping that adding 700 hours of experience and getting a letter from a CSU grad would help, but apparently not. Good luck to you all! If you're in the Aurora region, hit me up!

Status Update
New updates to your application were posted December 5, 2014.

View Update

Is what it says. Unfortunately, guys, I will not be joining you this year at CSU. I figured at much since my GPA suffered this year. I was hoping that adding 700 hours of experience and getting a letter from a CSU grad would help, but apparently not. Good luck to you all! If you're in the Aurora region, hit me up!

OH NO... :( I'm so sorry to hear this, batsenecal. :( I don't know if you're a hugger or not, but I send hugs. :(

:) Thanks, Fish Pixie. I appreciate it. I really wanted to go to CSU for the in state tuition and because it is close to home. But I will still hold out for K-State, since they gave me lovins last year. And I have a plan if I need to take a second gap year.

Hm... no updates for me. Maybe it's cuz of the whole dual program thing? Guess it'll be another weekend of no news.

very sorry @batsenecal :( I second the hugs

Mine says RETURN TO POOL: After being reviewed in the Early Academic Review admissions process, your application has been forwarded to the regular admissions process. We hope to notify Nonsponsored and Colorado candidates of the outcome of the regular admissions process by late December. WICHE candidates will be notified in mid-January. If you also applied for consideration in the Food Animal Career Incentive Program (FAVCIP), your FAVCIP essay and credentials will be evaluated in parallel with the regular admissions process.