CSU c/o 2020 applicants, y'all ready for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violetvet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! After several months of taking a step back, I'm ready to step forward and apply for round two! Who's with me?:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm with you! Still making my application short list but Colorado is still my number 1! lol.

I'm here again too. Not sure if I'm really ready though....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I definitely feel more laid back about it this round. Like, "Well, I know what it's like to be rejected so I can at least handle that." I hear a rumor they were going to do instate interviews this year. Anyone else heard the same?

As far as their website is concerned, there are not any instate interviews this year. I haven't heard anything like that.

yay! Glad someone created this thread. Good luck applying everyone, I'm still here if anyone has questions :)

CSU is on my short list, but is it true they mainly focus on beef cattle? I have some but not much large animal experience. Do you think that's going to hurt me?
Good luck to everyone else applying!!!

CSU is on my short list, but is it true they mainly focus on beef cattle? I have some but not much large animal experience. Do you think that's going to hurt me?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: No school has a "main focus" that specific. Every single school will be able to give you a good mix of large/food animal knowledge as well as small animal knowledge (except for the schools that track). I would actually say that, as a Coloradoan, a lot of people in the Denver Metro area think of horses, cancer research, and small animal surgeries when they think of the vet school at CSU. My family owns pet stores here in Colorado and we have done referred surgeries and necropsies for the puppies we carry and when a client buys one of the puppies that had such a surgery, they always say, "Oh yeah, my friend/cousin/neighbor/etc. went up there to do surgery/chemo/referral whatever and it was great!"

As far as not having a lot of large animal experience hurting you, it really depends on the rest of your application.

Good luck to everyone else applying!!!
When I applied, my veterinary experience was primarily small and research. From an outsider's perspective (I moved from New Jersey) a lot more people here seem interested/invested in livestock and equine med, but there is definitely a variety of focuses here, lots of small animal, research, exotics, public health, etc. There is a class (first year spring) dedicated to food animal topics, which helps get everyone a similar knowledge basis. Also, there is a Food Animal Incentive Program to apply to with the supplemental application. This is an under-represented area of veterinary medicine, and there are financial incentives for incoming students with a demonstrated interest in this area.

Yeah, I definitely feel more laid back about it this round. Like, "Well, I know what it's like to be rejected so I can at least handle that." I hear a rumor they were going to do instate interviews this year. Anyone else heard the same?
I have hear that rumor too, but nothing concrete

If they interviewed, I feel like it would increase my chances substantially. And it would be the easiest interview for me to get to as well. I wish it was more substantial than rumor, though.

Hello all. First time IS applicant. Throwing my name into the mix. Look forward to keeping tabs on your progress ;) GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm here again too! Round freakin' four!

Reactions: 2 users
Yup, round 4! I heard the interview rumor from a couple people that are tied to the vet school including an admissions person. Maybe they'll just keep it small? It sounded like they only wanted to interview the group on the border between accept/ wait list and reject.

The beef cattle thing: a retired professor known for his repro work has a large herd that moves back and forth between him and CSU. There seem to be more small animal vet students than large and more horse than food animal, but I'm on the outside. I just have friends in vet school. Sigh.

On the other hand, I've lived here for almost 5 years and know most of the local vet clinics and the repro, equine and endocrinology professors. If you have questions other than what classes are like, I can answer those.

I go to CSU so I have the luck of attending their Pre-Vet Visit Days and meeting with our pre-vet advisor often. There will be no interviews this year, but they may do it next year.

And hello everyone! First time applying, and I am only applying to CSU (IS).

Bummer. Ann told me last year and Erin was hoping this year.
It would have really helped me!

Yeah, I know!

They said that they were getting themselves prepared this year to do them next year... So we'll see!

Is anyone else worried? Well, silly question. What about everyone's application is worrying them? I'm frankly pretty worried about my experience hours. :/

I just got talked into reapplying on Friday, so I've barely started my app and only talked to one of the people I've picked to write reviews... so I'm completely nutty panicked! (And I still have to write a paper for my Master's program and move and...) :nailbiting:

Hey fellow Denverites!

If anyone on this board is a student at Auraria Campus and interested in joining a Pre-Vet Club, send me a PM.

Along with several other pre-vet students, I am trying to get a Pre-Vet Club started on campus this fall. C'mon, we can't let all the other pre-health clubs have all the fun : )

- Aiko (CU Denver Student, 1st time CSU applicant)

Hey fellow Denverites!

If anyone on this board is a student at Auraria Campus and interested in joining a Pre-Vet Club, send me a PM.

Along with several other pre-vet students, I am trying to get a Pre-Vet Club started on campus this fall. C'mon, we can't let all the other pre-health clubs have all the fun : )

- Aiko (CU Denver Student, 1st time CSU applicant)

I'm a Ram, but I'm down right next to UCD a lot. :) I was actually thinking of starting a "Colorado Pre-Vet Resource Club", as a way to help future kids like us through the processes, plus give us a way to get our Personal Statements reviewed, etc.

I'm a Ram, but I'm down right next to UCD a lot. :) I was actually thinking of starting a "Colorado Pre-Vet Resource Club", as a way to help future kids like us through the processes, plus give us a way to get our Personal Statements reviewed, etc.

That's exactly why we're trying to get the Pre-Vet Club started at CU Denver. I know CSU has a huge pre-vet club in Ft. Collins, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of resources for pre-vet students in the Denver Metro area. We're hoping to change that.

I don't know if any of you actually missed this but I just saw it for the first time today:
CSU is hosting a live Q&A called Ram Chat with students, professors and an advisor on July 28 from 6-8pm. The link is on the main cvmbs webpage.

That's exactly why we're trying to get the Pre-Vet Club started at CU Denver. I know CSU has a huge pre-vet club in Ft. Collins, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of resources for pre-vet students in the Denver Metro area. We're hoping to change that.

Update on my earlier post: CU Denver's Pre-Veterinary Club is now official : )
Membership is open to all interested pre-vet students in the Denver Metro area, not just CU Denver students.

PM me for more info or visit our CU website https://orgsync.com/119026/events/1094384/occurrences/2439874

First-time applicant here! CSU is my last remaining supplemental; all done with the VMCAS and take the GRE on the 20th.

@MantisCat, I hope the club is going well! I e-mailed you a while ago about giving you guys help if you need it. I'm back in Nebraska, so I can't really help physically. lol. But I'm willing to help in any way I can.

I'm also a first time applicant applying from OOS!

Ugg... wrote an awesome "unique quality" essay and went to paste it... It was supposed to be 600 *characters* max, not 600 *words*!!!! Damn it!! Gotta scratch the whole thing =( 600 characters isn't room for hardly anything!

This new job has been a time suck because of what it is. Our schedules got all screwed up because of a completely different department. I was hoping to be able to devote some time to applications this weekend, but I might not be able to. I'm really hoping to have almost all day tomorrow. But we'll see.

Hey everyone... so I had my official GRE scores sent in at the end of June, but when I go to the application status on my Colorado account, it says they haven't been received. Is this something to be concerned about or does it just take a while for them to change the status from "awaiting" to whatever it is supposed to be?

For the supp, what's the deal with the school/work experiences? Do you include both your schooling AND your work hours in the same listing, or do you make one for schooling and a second for work, with the name of the business under "institution?"

Hey everyone... so I had my official GRE scores sent in at the end of June, but when I go to the application status on my Colorado account, it says they haven't been received. Is this something to be concerned about or does it just take a while for them to change the status from "awaiting" to whatever it is supposed to be?

Last cycle it took awhile for mine to change. I would just keep an eye on it, but if it bothers you at all just call them or shoot them an email, they usually replied pretty fast

@MantisCat, I hope the club is going well! I e-mailed you a while ago about giving you guys help if you need it. I'm back in Nebraska, so I can't really help physically. lol. But I'm willing to help in any way I can.
Hey batsnecal,
I remember you emailing me : ) So far so good, just trying to find more pre-vet students in the Denver area interested in joining up.
I appreciate your willingness to help out and hope things go well for you this application cycle. I will email you if I think of anything.

Hello,

I'm considering to apply for Colorado State University ... I've read that they received about 1,500 aplications last year and there is not interview for OOS applicants.

I really would like to know how hard is to get into CSU vet school ? and which factors (academic, non-academic, Gre scores, etc) are most considered by the admission committee?

Hello,

I'm considering to apply for Colorado State University ... I've read that they received about 1,500 aplications last year and there is not interview for OOS applicants.

I really would like to know how hard is to get into CSU vet school ? and which factors (academic, non-academic, Gre scores, etc) are most considered by the admission committee?

Hey! I think most questions could be answered by the admissions page on the csu Dvm website. It is a bit hard to find, so I listed it here. Also, I don't think anyone (IS or OOS) gets interviewed, and haven't heard of any changes for this cycle? I believe it is application only for the review.

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/dvm-program/Pages/DVM-Application-Procedures.aspx

Right hand side has links to admission stats too by the way. :)

I believe it takes a while, but contacting Ms. Janet Janke might be a good idea. She runs admissions and is very helpful!

So turned in the supplemental and tried to get my Biochem II class to count for my biochem prereq, but they said no. :-(

Hey! I think most questions could be answered by the admissions page on the csu Dvm website. It is a bit hard to find, so I listed it here. Also, I don't think anyone (IS or OOS) gets interviewed, and haven't heard of any changes for this cycle? I believe it is application only for the review.

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/dvm-program/Pages/DVM-Application-Procedures.aspx

Right hand side has links to admission stats too by the way. :)

Thank you for answering! But I have decided not to apply for CSU for several reasons.

Good luck to everyone applying to the 3rd best Vet School in U.S.!

Do they only upload your GRE scores once your VMCAS application has been processed?

Last edited:
On an e-mail sent to me in July it states:

"TRACKING RECEIPT OF APPLICATION MATERIALS

You must first submit your CSA Application to view your "Application Status" webpage. You can then use your status page to view all activity associated with your CSA and to track receipt of application materials.

For tracking receipt of application materials on your status page, use these dates:
PPI Report code 8300 - August 1, 2015
VMCAS Application - September 1, 2015
Official GRE scores code 4075 - October 1, 2015 "

• And on my tracking page:

Application ChecklistApplication Submitted: 07/21/2015
    CSU will begin uploading application materials as follows:
    • ETS PPI Report- August 15, 2015 (Please send only *one* ETS PPI Report, code 8300.)
    • VMCAS Application - to be determined
    • Official GRE Scores - November 1, 2015 (We will use self-reported scores for evaluation purposes.)

The dates are different between the two for some reason, but I assume (according to the tracking page) that this means GRE scores may not appear until November 1st? I'll probably e-mail once I get settled into school later this week, but I wish it was a little clearer.

Also, my VMCAS was verified August 11th and it still says on my tracking page that they are "awaiting" my VMCAS application. So I suppose that would further the idea that maybe they just aren't doing any of that until later. Other schools I'm applying to have received my GREs though so I'm not too worried.

Finally totally submitted (except for VMCAS) as far as Colorado is concerned. I sent in a course replacement form to see if they would take my Biochem II course over my Biochem I course as it would be the difference between an A and a C, but no go. Said that it was because it didn't have Organic I as a prerequisite, even though the only prerequisite is Biochem I, and the only prerequisite for that was Organic I. Just so dumb.

So the PPI let's you put in 5 evaluations, but CSU only asks for 3. I kinda want to put 4 (Really like a guy who did a prior evaluation and trust that he said good things about me since he wanted me to be his PhD student) but I don't know if adding that would make me "the applicant who can't follow directions."

Anybody with experience or a good guess here?

*Edit: I just sent it with 3. I'm kinda in the middle of moving and trying to get my app out this weekend and just realized that I should have sent that a few weeks ago. I hate moving, especially when it finds a way to drag out over 3 months... long story but if you know of a farm rental in Larimer county I'd be happy to share it!

Last edited:
I don't think you could use a fourth one anyways since the CSA only allows you to enter 3.

Applying to CSU as a wiche student from Arizona. CSU is a top choice! So excited for this whole process, but the waiting is killing me already!

Applying to CSU as a wiche student from Arizona. CSU is a top choice! So excited for this whole process, but the waiting is killing me already!

That's super cool that Arizona still does WICHE even with Midwestern being open!

Question regarding PPI reports. My order went from placed to processed over the weekend and I was wondering if there's another status after that, or if processed means they've sent it as well.

I just tried to log into my account to see if my GRE scores have been processed. AND MY LOGIN DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW WHEN MY CSA LOGIN HAS STOPPED WORKING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE APPLICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just tried to log into my account to see if my GRE scores have been processed. AND MY LOGIN DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW WHEN MY CSA LOGIN HAS STOPPED WORKING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE APPLICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had this issue... Do you have your browser save the login info? Are you successfully reaching it now?

It's going fine now. For whatever reason, it switched to the e-mail I used to use (my old school one that has since been deactivated), so they let me know how to change it back.