CSU College of Pharmacy or University of Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stella81

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please I'm trying to choose to chose between Chicago State University College of Pharmacy and University of Iowa

Advantages of CSU College of Pharmacy:
1. In state tuition- 17k
Disadvantages of CSU College of Pharmacy
1. New School

Advantages of University of Iowa
1. Great Pharmacy program.
2. Has been around for years.
3. Looks good on paper.

Disadvantages of University of Iowa
1. Out of state tuition 31k
2. Will have to relocate to Iowa.

What do you guys think, is University of Iowa worth the extra 15,000?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Iowa!

1. Iowa City is surprisingly not boring like you'd think it would be.
2. Why take the chance of going to an school that is not yet accredited, when you have the chance to go to a great school with a great reputation.
3. Even if Chicago State does eventually become accredited (which is most likely will), Chicago State's all around reputation as a college is very very poor.

Take the degree from the nationally recognizable Big Ten school over the degree from the regionally mocked school.

I would recommend Iowa over CSU. CSU has such a bad reputation, and the Chicago area rotation sites for pharmacy students are already picked over by UIC, Midwestern, and Purdue.

Members don't see this ad :)
why you think CSU has bad reputation...whats wrong with the school ?

I would recommend Iowa over CSU. CSU has such a bad reputation, and the Chicago area rotation sites for pharmacy students are already picked over by UIC, Midwestern, and Purdue.

haha i like how u have relocate to iowa as a disadvantage... iowa is ranked in the top 20 pharmacy programs, and iowa city is really not that boring (i used to live in chicago too)...besides u can always drive 4 hrs back to chicago to visit... far but not that far :thumbup:

I would choose Iowa. I know two pharmacists that are alumni and they loved it. Plus it's a great school and you could get in-state tuition after a year.

I'd go where the tuition is half the price. I doubt a state university will not get accredited so you will become a pharmacist either way. Unless you want to do a prestigious residency or something and need to attend a prestigious school.

why you think CSU has bad reputation...whats wrong with the school ?

CSU is considered to be a bad school in this area. There are constant controversies about that school. Just today, in the local paper, there was an editorial about the finances of CSU. My local community college is overall a better school than CSU. For undergraduates, the average ACT is about an 18. The 6 year graduation rate is at an all time high of 16%.

My sister once worked at a place which refused to hire CSU graduates because of the school's reputation.

There are three 4 year public universities in the Chicago area: CSU, Northeastern IL U, and UIC. Everyone knows UIC is the best of them. NEIU does have a somewhat respected education department. When it comes to CSU, most have trouble finding something nice to say about the school. People put it at the same level of Robert Morris and Roosevelt.

Iowa is 100x better that CSU.

it doesn't matter which pharm school you go to. Get the degree and you will get hired. It's not like law school or business school where schools matter. If its cheaper go there.

I'd choose Iowa as well. Why? Because you're investing in your own education. You're bound to get a solid education with great faculty members and a strong reputation at Iowa. Can't say the same about CSU. The tuition is pretty steep though...but I'd still go with it.

Please I'm trying to choose to chose between Chicago State University College of Pharmacy and University of Iowa

Advantages of CSU College of Pharmacy:
1. In state tuition- 17k
Disadvantages of CSU College of Pharmacy
1. New School

Advantages of University of Iowa
1. Great Pharmacy program.
2. Has been around for years.
3. Looks good on paper.

1. Out of state tuition 31k

What do you guys think, is University of Iowa worth the extra 15,000?

Hi,

I think you can't ask other people to pick between CSU and UI for now, because none of these people are familiar with the program at CSU. CSU is not as established as UI obviously... but lets put it this way.... We have students who went to UIC pharmacy school, and actually like CSU Pharmacy school better than UIC pharmacy school. One of our students went to UIC for a full year and just hated his experience so he transferred to CSU. This year, we are expecting another student to transfer over from UIC as well.

At CSU the program is brand new, so we implement the new things pharmacist MUST know earlier in the program rather than later, therefore you're going to be learning things that P2's learn at UIC 1st year at CSU.

CSU does not have a bad reputation as the UIC kid says (the UIC person told me this before I came to CSU too and I expected the worst). The university may have their problems but the College of Pharmacy is fastly becoming recognized as a solid program in the Chicago area even in its first year because of the people we have running the school.

If you're a minority, CSU would probably be more attractive for obvious reasons... the diversity is unparallel to any other Pharmacy school in the country.

And lastly, our rotation sites are pretty darn awesome.... last i heard, we'll be doing our Hospital Rotations during winter intersession for P2 year (Jan 2010) at the University of Chicago health system and other hospitals. Right now for Public health rotations we have people at the National Kidney Foundation, National Diabetes, National Heart & Lung Association, Gay And Lesbian serving Communities, Chicago Public Health Office... Etc.

I could go on for a while... but basically. I'm extremely satisfied with CSU and wouldn't switch schools even if I could. Almost all of my classmates fill the same way too. But definitely do whats best for you, I just don't want you getting the wrong information about why you should or should not pick CSU. The worst information is the wrong information. Good luck.

CSU COP is indeed a new program. They have faculty working on the accreditation status continuously and will get it without a question. There faculty and staff are very committed to seeing their students excel. When i was there, i got a really good vibe from them. Just like stated before the worst information is the wrong information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree with the above posts. The faculty and students are all hard-working individuals and they are without a doubt no less qualified than your accredited school's faculties and students. I am proud to say that I will be attending this school in the fall, most of the students are very pleased with the program, and I have seen why.

Every college hits some rough spots. UF is considered to be one of the top schools in the nation, yet most students who go there are experiencing the significant consequences of budget cuts, and other financial issues. All that glitters is not gold and just because it's rough doesn't mean it can't be a diamond.

CSU is considered to be a bad school in this area. There are constant controversies about that school. Just today, in the local paper, there was an editorial about the finances of CSU. My local community college is overall a better school than CSU. For undergraduates, the average ACT is about an 18. The 6 year graduation rate is at an all time high of 16%.

My sister once worked at a place which refused to hire CSU graduates because of the school's reputation.

There are three 4 year public universities in the Chicago area: CSU, Northeastern IL U, and UIC. Everyone knows UIC is the best of them. NEIU does have a somewhat respected education department. When it comes to CSU, most have trouble finding something nice to say about the school. People put it at the same level of Robert Morris and Roosevelt.

Please, make your decision without considering rash opinions based on rumors or broad misleading information. I will be attending CSU college of pharmacy starting in the fall, and my decision was based soley on the determination of the faculty to produce the best, well rounded pharmacist.

As for the 'bad reputation' of CSU, you really cannot label the college of pharmacy as having a bad reputation, since it is a new program. Also it is inappropriate to label the college with a bad reputation because they have the founding dean of Midwestern and regionally renowed professors working together to solidify a up and coming program. Nevertheless, I hope you will be happy with whatever decision you make. GOOD LUCK!

New programs rely on the reputation of the school. SIUE has a solid reputation, and so, their students will have a leg up. I'm assuming most CSU students will try and apply locally for pharmacist jobs. Those employers are going to thing about CSU's reputation which is not good in Illinois.
There is also a lot of anger and resentment about this school even opening a COP. The opening was seen as a political decision and not a decision based on need in the Chicago area. Those students will cause a massive surplus of pharmacists in the Chicago area. It will be tough for students in the Chicago area to get a job. It is already tough for current students to find a job. School reputation will become a bigger issue when this will occur, and who will suffer, CSU.

New programs rely on the reputation of the school. SIUE has a solid reputation, and so, their students will have a leg up. I'm assuming most CSU students will try and apply locally for pharmacist jobs. Those employers are going to thing about CSU's reputation which is not good in Illinois.
There is also a lot of anger and resentment about this school even opening a COP. The opening was seen as a political decision and not a decision based on need in the Chicago area. Those students will cause a massive surplus of pharmacists in the Chicago area. It will be tough for students in the Chicago area to get a job. It is already tough for current students to find a job. School reputation will become a bigger issue when this will occur, and who will suffer, CSU.

LOL!!!!!! Wow. So I can't put all my business on student doctor. But, I'll tell you this... the experiences I've had my P1 year at CSU, many of your P3's haven't even had at UIC.

Secondly.... Companies around Chicago will be familiarized with CSU Pharmacy school based on their experiences with the students during EXPERIENTIAL EDUCATION PRACTICUMS over the next several years (its not like we are strangers to any of the companies in Chicago). So far, we've had 2 experitial practicums in 2 different sectors, community, and public health (which UIC doesn't offer as an experiential site).... and so far we've gotten several thank you letters congratulating us on how professional, and knowledgeable we've been so early on in our career.

Thirdly... once we mention certain faculty at our college to our preceptors, or companies, and they realize who's running the show.... their immediately impressed (I'm a witness to this).

And LASTLY... since you know so much about the pharmacy profession, you know what the Schweitzer fellowship is, and you know they only pick 1 pharmacy student per year into the program. Well this year, a CSU pharmacy student was the one picked, not a UIC pharmacy student. So bam!!!!!! Stop hating on CSU, I am very active in the profession of pharmacy, more people are extremely happy the pharmacy program opened than are offended by the idea.

And one more thing... if the Chicago market so saturated, why is UIC opening up a satellite location to house 50 more students per year!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Maybe you should look at your own school before you talk about ours.

Thirdly... once we mention certain faculty at our college to our preceptors, or companies, and they realize who's running the show.... their immediately impressed (I'm a witness to this).
quote]

I second this, as a floating pharmacy tech. for Osco I've been asked about the faculty, and once I mention some of the names from CSU's faculty, people begin to appreciate the program more and more. Many of the pharmacist I have talked with, recognize and admire these individuals as the best in the profession.

I would choose Iowa. I know two pharmacists that are alumni and they loved it. Plus it's a great school and you could get in-state tuition after a year.

Okay, first of all, this is not true. There is no way to become an Iowa resident unless you are going to go to school less than half time and work for a year while living in the state of Iowa. You will have to pay the out-of-state tuition every semester, unless the rules change (highly unlikely).
So if the money is really important to you, you should definitely consider this.

The school does have $10,000 a year tuition scholarship if you keep your GPA above 3.5. It is first come, first served, so you won't necessarily get $10,000 just because you have a 3.5. So before starting P1, the scholarship is based on whatever pre-pharm classes you had before. Once you go to Iowa, it will only be based on your Iowa GPA (if that makes sense). So I didn't qualify for the scholarship for P1 because my gpa from before was 3.4. Now that has been replaced my Iowa GPA, so I will get a scholarship for P2 year.

I say go to Iowa, but obviously I am biased. I don't want to say that your other choice is not a good school, but Iowa is a great school and the state is considered a progressive state for pharmacy practice.

I also disagree with the poster who said no one cares what school you went to for pharmacy. Maybe it used to be that way, but times they are a-changing. There are more and more schools opening up and employers are not going to keep looking at all graduates as being equals. Your school will be even more important if you are thinking of doing residency or fellowship.

These are just my opinions, so take it for what it's worth. You can find the stuff about becoming a resident on Iowa's financial aid website, check it out.

And one more thing... if the Chicago market so saturated, why is UIC opening up a satellite location to house 50 more students per year!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Maybe you should look at your own school before you talk about ours.

The fact that they are opening a satellite has nothing to do with market saturation. If the school can get more students to come in and pay the tuition, they will try to offer more spots. It's capitalism, baby. Look at all the law schools. Do you think we have a lot of law schools because we have a lawyer shortage? :laugh:

The satellite program is in Rockford and is attached to UIC's rural medicine program. There is a strong demand for pharmacists out there. I know of some who got some nice sign on bonuses by choosing Rockford.

If Iowa is like UIC in terms of changing residency while you are in the program, then it'll be very hard to change. At UIC, you have to earn 50% of your total expenses amongst other requirements, ie Illinois driver's license, IL tax return, etc.

All schools get letters of congratulations when they open. I bet come September UIC will receive many letters congratulating it on its 150th anniversary.

It'll take years to build of a reputation. People will need to see many students over the course of many years to build an overall impression. It'll probably take 5-10 years. That's the issue about picking a new school. It'll take years to build up a reputation and an alumni base. The alumni base will help with rotation sites.

Things are really bad in the Chicago area, in terms of jobs. Walgreens is only hiring pharmacists who took their "scholarship money." I know of some people who signed a contract with Walgreens and later had it rescinded. Target only hired 20 people in the entire Chicago area.

P-1s can choose to do their P-1 shadowing at many places including public health.

The satellite program is in Rockford and is attached to UIC's rural medicine program. There is a strong demand for pharmacists out there. I know of some who got some nice sign on bonuses by choosing Rockford.

If Iowa is like UIC in terms of changing residency while you are in the program, then it'll be very hard to change. At UIC, you have to earn 50% of your total expenses amongst other requirements, ie Illinois driver's license, IL tax return, etc.

All schools get letters of congratulations when they open. I bet come September UIC will receive many letters congratulating it on its 150th anniversary.

It'll take years to build of a reputation. People will need to see many students over the course of many years to build an overall impression. It'll probably take 5-10 years. That's the issue about picking a new school. It'll take years to build up a reputation and an alumni base. The alumni base will help with rotation sites.

Things are really bad in the Chicago area, in terms of jobs. Walgreens is only hiring pharmacists who took their "scholarship money." I know of some people who signed a contract with Walgreens and later had it rescinded. Target only hired 20 people in the entire Chicago area.

P-1s can choose to do their P-1 shadowing at many places including public health.

How do you know everyone who goes to school in Chicago will be staying there?

How do you know everyone who goes to school in Chicago will be staying there?

She didn't say everyone...but yes, a majority of the people who attend the schools in the Chicago area are from around there. There is a high chance they would prefer staying there.

This Chicago market has changed rapidly in the last year. When I graduated in 2008, there were a ton of jobs and I basically had my pick of any retail chain I wanted. Flash forward to 2009...new grads can't find jobs and current pharmacists are getting their hours cut. It is a reality.

And yes, in this market, where you went to school will have an impact. I experienced this because I am a graduate of Midwestern, which is a newer school. This plays a larger factor in things like residency. I used to be on your side of the fence where I said it didn't matter, but it does.

Okay, first of all, this is not true. There is no way to become an Iowa resident unless you are going to go to school less than half time and work for a year while living in the state of Iowa. You will have to pay the out-of-state tuition every semester, unless the rules change (highly unlikely).
So if the money is really important to you, you should definitely consider this.

The school does have $10,000 a year tuition scholarship if you keep your GPA above 3.5. It is first come, first served, so you won't necessarily get $10,000 just because you have a 3.5. So before starting P1, the scholarship is based on whatever pre-pharm classes you had before. Once you go to Iowa, it will only be based on your Iowa GPA (if that makes sense). So I didn't qualify for the scholarship for P1 because my gpa from before was 3.4. Now that has been replaced my Iowa GPA, so I will get a scholarship for P2 year.

I say go to Iowa, but obviously I am biased. I don't want to say that your other choice is not a good school, but Iowa is a great school and the state is considered a progressive state for pharmacy practice.

I also disagree with the poster who said no one cares what school you went to for pharmacy. Maybe it used to be that way, but times they are a-changing. There are more and more schools opening up and employers are not going to keep looking at all graduates as being equals. Your school will be even more important if you are thinking of doing residency or fellowship.

These are just my opinions, so take it for what it's worth. You can find the stuff about becoming a resident on Iowa's financial aid website, check it out.

I have never heard of this scholarship... is it offered for in-state students at that value too?

:edit: Nevermind, I just looked it up on the website. It says you have to demonstrate financial need too. Sigh.

Okay Guys you all need to relax and take a breath :D...I do believe that it does not matter from where you graduate or which school you went to, what matters is if you are realy GOOD at what you are doing, Guys please Give me a break...two of my pharmacy managers at CVS graduated from overseas, NOT from UIC nor HARVARD, just go to the place you feel happy at and be distinctive..PERIOD..GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Okay Guys you all need to relax and take a breath :D...I do believe that it does not matter from where you graduate or which school you went to, what matters is if you are realy GOOD at what you are doing, Guys please Give me a break...two of my pharmacy managers at CVS graduated from overseas, NOT from UIC nor HARVARD, just go to the place you feel happy at and be distinctive..PERIOD..GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Bingo!

I have never heard of this scholarship... is it offered for in-state students at that value too?

:edit: Nevermind, I just looked it up on the website. It says you have to demonstrate financial need too. Sigh.

Well, unless you have a ton of money or you're a dependent and your parents have a ton of money, you would probably qualify as having financial need. I don't know what Iowa considers "financial need", but our advisor told us pretty much everyone qualifies because almost no one is going to be able to pay tuition out of pocket (obviously I don't know your financial situation). And the scholarship is for everyone, not just out-of-staters.

At UIC, it seems like 60-70% of the students stay in the Chicago area. Be it private or public school, a high percentage of students will stay in the general area where they graduate.

Don't change your tone now.... you should really watch what you say about institutions you know nothing about, its extremely offensive. The majority of our faculty at Chicago State are UIC pharmacy school graduates, so you're disrespecting your own alma mater by saying those things. Secondly, students hear are working very hard, people like you who say bad things about our school are not only disrespecting themselves, but the profession of pharmacy.

And about the Rockford satellite program, who cares that its in rockford, at least 50% of those grads will try to move to Chicago after their done with school so please don't go there. You commented that Chicago was saturated and theres no need for more pharmacy students, but you know that is a definite possibility that will add on to the problem that you stated.

All I'm saying is that the state of Illinois is big, Chicago is not the only city to live in... A solution to the job market problem is relocate. If you have a family, kids, or other inhibiting factors then obviously it is more difficult to pick up and leave, but I just don't understand why everyone who graduates from schools from Chicago decide to stay there, where do all the other pharmacists in the state come from? I know people who graduate from UF pharmacy school or even NOVA and U of Houston who decide to leave and go pursue careers in other cities within the state. I guess I'm just a bit confused is all. But it is what it is. Hopefully the economy will get better over the years and with the baby boomers retiring I'm sure that will aid in better job opportunities for graduating pharmacists... maybe

If you are going into retail, then it does not matter how "good" Iowa looks on paper. Save yourself a butt-load of money and go to CSU. Iowa is a great school, but def. not worth an extra $15k+ per year.

All I'm saying is that the state of Illinois is big, Chicago is not the only city to live in... A solution to the job market problem is relocate. If you have a family, kids, or other inhibiting factors then obviously it is more difficult to pick up and leave, but I just don't understand why everyone who graduates from schools from Chicago decide to stay there, where do all the other pharmacists in the state come from? I know people who graduate from UF pharmacy school or even NOVA and U of Houston who decide to leave and go pursue careers in other cities within the state. I guess I'm just a bit confused is all. But it is what it is. Hopefully the economy will get better over the years and with the baby boomers retiring I'm sure that will aid in better job opportunities for graduating pharmacists... maybe

Are u kidding me! Ya have to live in Chicago to understand why everyone wants to stay.... it's gotta be one of the greatest cities in the world. Seriously. If your not a city person, or scared of the city etc...then I can understand you wanting to relocate, but otherwise Chicago is where its at....

P.S. A Chicago politician once told me "If you can make it in Chicago, you can make it anywhere in the world".

lol, are you sure you want to trust a Chicago politician?

Though in all seriousness, CS seemed like a nice school, but regardless, I'd still rather go to a school with an established background.

Being that I'm from Florida, anything regarding cold weather strikes me as odd lol. But who knows, all I have heard is how great Chicago is... We'll see when I get up there lol. Cold weather is not my cup a tea but anything is possible, I'm open to new possibilities:D... but scared as hell for the cold weather:scared:

so has the original OP decided which school he/she will attend?

just curious

I don't have any experience w/ CSU, but I am a P2 at Iowa and also did a year of undergrad here, so let me know if you have any specific questions about the COP or Iowa City in general!

Being that I'm from Florida, anything regarding cold weather strikes me as odd lol. But who knows, all I have heard is how great Chicago is... We'll see when I get up there lol. Cold weather is not my cup a tea but anything is possible, I'm open to new possibilities:D... but scared as hell for the cold weather:scared:
Hi! I will be attending CSU this fall as well! I dont know anyone up there!!!! Im kind of scared!

Thank you all for all your responses; It has really helped me make my decision thank you.