CSU CVM Accounting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_DVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying to CSU this cycle. I was browsing their website looking at their curriculum, and I discovered that they apparently require you to take an accounting class(classes?) during your first year. Does anyone know any specifics about this? I thought it kind of strange to be required to take accounting classes during vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you think it is strange? Veterinary clinics are small businesses and a lot of vets have zero business sense/experience. I actually wish my school had accounting and business courses in the curriculum because at this point I am not confident I know what I am doing in that regard and I graduate in May. I guess some clinics have practice managers and stuff to do the books but knowing how to properly run your business is important in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you think it is strange? Veterinary clinics are small businesses and a lot of vets have zero business sense/experience. I actually wish my school had accounting and business courses in the curriculum because at this point I am not confident I know what I am doing in that regard and I graduate in May.

I don't think it strange in a sense that it is bad. I just have not seen any other schools that require you to take accounting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I see. Mine has an elective in practice management and a business club that hosts monthly seminars. I think more schools should follow CSU's lead.

I agree with jayna, that's a great idea. Is it vet-specific accounting, or they have you take a class in the regular accounting department? Either way, I'm sure it's helpful.

It doesn't seem that unusual to me. I know at least some other schools have a practice management or similar class, so maybe CSU just has a different way of approaching the financial side of veterinary medicine.

I am thinking about applying to CSU this cycle. I was browsing their website looking at their curriculum, and I discovered that they apparently require you to take an accounting class(classes?) during your first year. Does anyone know any specifics about this? I thought it kind of strange to be required to take accounting classes during vet school.

Hi! I believe those are optional, and only required if you are in the DVM/business masters program, or are a DVM student going for the business certificate. Otherwise, not required as the core curriculum (as of now at least).

But one class that is currently required our first year is a Veterinary Research Class, where some of the invited speakers (one per week) are business owners/vets/affiliated with the field, so a little bit of exposure (and lots of room to network) for first semester DVM students, which is nice. Also, I think anyone can go for the above stated business certificate, and there is a club for business management too I believe.

@Hopeful_DVM , @Njnealon is absolutely right. The accounting classes are optional for the general DVM degree. But if you choose to go that route, here is a LINK with some information. If you are doing a DVM/MBA combined program, accounting will obviously be required: LINK. The club being referenced is the Veterinary Business Management Association (VBMA). The VBMA actually has a different "business certificate" than that of the university that is also optional and has a different focus. If you would like information on that certificate you can contact [email protected] or just wait until you start your 1st year. I believe many of the schools have a VBMA chapter which also give a similar certificate if you put the effort into it. CSU is pretty awesome about educating the DVM classes about finances and giving lots of optional chances to become more business savvy.

Reactions: 1 users
@Hopeful_DVM , @Njnealon is absolutely right. The accounting classes are optional for the general DVM degree. But if you choose to go that route, here is a LINK with some information. If you are doing a DVM/MBA combined program, accounting will obviously be required: LINK. The club being referenced is the Veterinary Business Management Association (VBMA). The VBMA actually has a different "business certificate" than that of the university that is also optional and has a different focus. If you would like information on that certificate you can contact [email protected] or just wait until you start your 1st year. I believe many of the schools have a VBMA chapter which also give a similar certificate if you put the effort into it. CSU is pretty awesome about educating the DVM classes about finances and giving lots of optional chances to become more business savvy.

I am an officer for CSU's VBMA, and am getting my business certificate if you have any specific questions.