CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I got into Fall 2013 CC Track!!
Anyone also starting fall 2013 as a career changer?

Also, before I start my postbac in fall, I plan to take EMT class (Jan - Mar) and hopefully work as an EMT for few months before school starts. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

John

Members don't see this ad.

Hey alright. So you have Sallie Mae Private loans aside from the 5500 loan that csu east bay offered? So private loans are doable? I'm kind of scared with getting private loans.. But thanks gina! :)
It's def doable. Make sure manage ur budget and u should be fine. and of course, if u can, try to find someone who can loan u some money before applying for private loans. GL :luck:
Don't let money get in the way of ur future. :)

Hey all, I had a question. If you send in your application, how soon after did you all send in your official transcripts? Do they have to be sent immediately for them to even look at your app? Thanks for reading...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
It has been really helpful to read through most of these postings. I do have a question though pertaining to transcripts. I applied for the CC track for next Fall last week, but I just recently graduated from UCD this past December. From reading past posts, it seems that I should wait to send in my official transcripts from UCD until they note my status as 'graduated,' which, according to UCD, may take up to 10 weeks after graduation. So, I am wondering if I should in fact wait for that, and if so, should I drop off my transcripts to CSUEB in person? It seems as though many of you have had trouble with sending in transcripts, and I'm wondering if dropping them off would make that less likely to happen. Plus, I am interested in exploring the campus and the area a bit :)

Hi drnurss,

I would just wait till UCD change the status to 'graduated' before ordering a transcript.

I didn't have to drop my transcript in person. I just requested my transcript online (from UCSD) and waited for a month before CSUEB received my transcript. You can check whether CSUEB received your transcript or not under MyCSUEB (under To Do List).

Hello Everyone,

I just sent in my application and transcripts today for the career changer track for Fall 2013! Does anyone know how competitive it is to get in the program? Graduated from UC Berkeley with a 3.3 (Political Science). Went to law school (was miserable the whole time) and withdrew. I finally feel like I'm pursuing something I'm truly passionate about :)

Good to see another Political Science major going into medicine! There are few of us but I'm sure we all realized that are passion for helping others may not come from the courtroom or influencing government but as direct health providers who need immediate attention. A 3.3 GPA is very good and definitely should be very competitive as a career changer for this program. We should chat sometime! Glad to hear from you.

-Cliff

This is a terrible program.

I just started this winter 2013 as an academic enhancer track student. To be honest, I'm not impressed with this program. The professors just act so rude and think that you don't know anything. Fair enough if you never really tried hard in college but I feel that it's extremely disrespectful to students. Additionally, the professors (or at least the ones I currently have) are just horrible teachers. They act like they know everything and they will keep belittling you - until you're able to prove to them that you can actually do well in their tests. One of my professors is just horrible in explaining, and the worst part is he give these short answer midterms that are of course slightly subjective and he would take points off if you didn't answer it his way -- even if you know that your answer is right because you've been working in a translational lab at UCSF for 2.5 years and he probably hasn't worked in a lab for a while seeing as how he's only had very few publications in his life. Some of my professors don't even have a publication. Sorry I'm just extremely angry at this professor. Anyways, this program can do better if they have better professors.

Maybe I'm just being too critical but perhaps it's also true that you get what you pay for since this is one of the cheapest post-bacc programs around that provides financial aid. If you can afford to go to another program, I would highly suggest doing so.

Last edited:
Is anyone doing this program while taking less than 3 classes a quarter? Anyone working while doing this program? Thanks in advance for the info.

Is anyone doing this program while taking less than 3 classes a quarter? Anyone working while doing this program? Thanks in advance for the info.

I know of some who are doing 2 and 3 classes that are also working. The program is fairly expensive and federal student loans alone won't cover the tuition without private loans or working while attending. Most are doing fairly well. It will depend on the classes you are taking whether you have the flexibility to do both as it will be time consuming.

-Cliff

I know of some who are doing 2 and 3 classes that are also working. The program is fairly expensive and federal student loans alone won't cover the tuition without private loans or working while attending. Most are doing fairly well. It will depend on the classes you are taking whether you have the flexibility to do both as it will be time consuming.

-Cliff

Thanks for the information! How much does the loan cover?

I just started this winter 2013 as an academic enhancer track student. To be honest, I'm not impressed with this program. The professors just act so rude and think that you don't know anything. Fair enough if you never really tried hard in college but I feel that it's extremely disrespectful to students. Additionally, the professors (or at least the ones I currently have) are just horrible teachers. They act like they know everything and they will keep belittling you - until you're able to prove to them that you can actually do well in their tests. One of my professors is just horrible in explaining, and the worst part is he give these short answer midterms that are of course slightly subjective and he would take points off if you didn't answer it his way -- even if you know that your answer is right because you've been working in a translational lab at UCSF for 2.5 years and he probably hasn't worked in a lab for a while seeing as how he's only had very few publications in his life. Some of my professors don't even have a publication. Sorry I'm just extremely angry at this professor. Anyways, this program can do better if they have better professors.

Maybe I'm just being too critical but perhaps it's also true that you get what you pay for since this is one of the cheapest post-bacc programs around that provides financial aid. If you can afford to go to another program, I would highly suggest doing so.

As someone who finally decided to take this route, this message isn't very promising and rather discouraging. I wanted to hear what other post-bacc students think about the CSUEB program - especially now that you've had sometime to experience and evaluate the value that the program can bring to us future med school applicants. Your inputs are definitely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who finally decided to take this route, this message isn't very promising and rather discouraging. I wanted to hear what other post-bacc students think about the CSUEB program - especially now that you've had sometime to experience and evaluate the value that the program can bring to us future med school applicants. Your inputs are definitely appreciated.

All this program provides is structured setting to take classes. That's it. Sure, some classes get full and you might have to get on waiting list. But it is a lot better than trying to petition for every class every quarter. Classes are not too difficult. If you put in time and work, you can easily earn excellent grades. I didn't come from difficult undergrad, and all classes I took at CSUEB seemed fair.

Wow, this is just one bias comment, which contains "partial truth."

tbh, I came from a top tier undergrad where our average department GPA is 2.8~3.0 ish, the classes here are 100% doable (not including the "untouchables") aka you can even cram the night before and still get A assume your IQ is 125 and above (this kinda of magic would not happen for the undergrad institution I went).

If you are the typical "I take whatever it offers student," you might get the same feelings like him/her from above message. However, if you ask around and do some research, you will figure out certain do(s)/don't(s), and the untouchable(s) for classes. imho, few professors are like that, but majority of them are nice and knowledgeable. One of my friend was able to take her final at another time because she has 3 finals on the same day (no conflicts and again this kinda of magic would not happen for the undergrad institution I went). That professor allowed her to take a day after. How nice is that? :p

Also, don't expect this program will hold your hands till you get into med school. You gotta do your own research and plan on your own for what's the best! (The program director is extremely positive and nice btw.)

Just be smart and ask around & make friends..........Msg me if anyone have more Qs

Last edited:
Hey! I was recently accepted and I'm trying to decide whether to attend or not. I was looking through old posts and I noticed a lot of current students seem to be from California. Since I would be an out of state student, I was wondering if this school is mostly in state students or both?

Sorry - perhaps I had a different goal entering this program. In addition to improving my GPA, I also wanted to learn more. Perhaps its the current 3 professors that I have that is obscuring my view. I also came from a top tier undergrad. The only issue I had is that the program could have better professors.

Thanks for the information! How much does the loan cover?

Sorry for the late response. Federal loans offers $12,500 per academic year with that amount being both subsidized and unsubsidized.

Hey! I was recently accepted and I'm trying to decide whether to attend or not. I was looking through old posts and I noticed a lot of current students seem to be from California. Since I would be an out of state student, I was wondering if this school is mostly in state students or both?

Majority are from California but I've met students from Florida and New Jersey in the program so we have students from all over, you won't feel out of place at all.

Wow, this is just one bias comment, which contains "partial truth."

tbh, I came from a top tier undergrad where our average department GPA is 2.8~3.0 ish, the classes here are 100% doable (not including the "untouchables") aka you can even cram the night before and still get A assume your IQ is 125 and above (this kinda of magic would not happen for the undergrad institution I went).

If you are the typical "I take whatever it offers student," you might get the same feelings like him/her from above message. However, if you ask around and do some research, you will figure out certain do(s)/don't(s), and the untouchable(s) for classes. imho, few professors are like that, but majority of them are nice and knowledgeable. One of my friend was able to take her final at another time because she has 3 finals on the same day (no conflicts and again this kinda of magic would not happen for the undergrad institution I went). That professor allowed her to take a day after. How nice is that? :p

Also, don't expect this program will hold your hands till you get into med school. You gotta do your own research and plan on your own for what's the best! (The program director is extremely positive and nice btw.)

Just be smart and ask around & make friends..........Msg me if anyone have more Qs

As a general rule, you get more out of what you put in. This can be said for many programs of this nature. Some programs that are more well established may have a stronger support network but it all comes down to the individual student to perform what it takes to get them to the next level. At the same time, it is fair for a student to expect more out of a program like this if they are investing a premium amount into the program. There's going to be a pro/con for programs like this, sometimes students have to experience the program directly before coming to any final conclusions of how a program like this will work for them.

I think... I was accepted for Fall 13!

I didn't get any e-mails or notifications, but there is this one liner on my csueb account:
"Congratulations on your acceptance to Cal State East Bay. Your application file is complete. "

Am I supposed to hear anything else from them or do I just proceed with the application checklist?

I didn't get any e-mails or notifications, but there is this one liner on my csueb account:
"Congratulations on your acceptance to Cal State East Bay. Your application file is complete. "

Am I supposed to hear anything else from them or do I just proceed with the application checklist?

"proceed with the application checklist 1st"

and you should be getting a package soon

First, make sure all your transcripts are in. Seriously, make sure your final transcripts with your degree get sent to them. But sit tight, they're actually doing interviews this fall, so relax for now.

First, make sure all your transcripts are in. Seriously, make sure your final transcripts with your degree get sent to them. But sit tight, they're actually doing interviews this fall, so relax for now.

especially if you went to Cal, send your transcript asap or you'll sorta get screwed for not getting into the classes you want lol

especially if you went to Cal, send your transcript asap or you'll sorta get screwed for not getting into the classes you want lol

Thanks! I got the confirm they received all of my transcripts ;)

Hi Mika, can you tell me more about the interview?
I got accepted to Fall 2013 (CCT) but haven't heard anything regarding an interview...

I also have two more questions and would appreciate it if someone can answer my questions:

(1) is there a student orientation for PHAHP students in general?
(2) can PHAP students use CSUEB's gym? (will we be able to use it for free, or get a discount?)

They r doing interviews now?!? Whoa.

Since when did they start doing interviews? Perhaps they should also add a personal statement to the application process as well. Now it sounds like this program is starting to get serious.

Hey guys,

I have posted a couple months back in response to another poster saying he/she had an unpleasant experience with the program. As Fall 2013 season is around the corner, I am really really considering this program (I've already received my acceptance letter). For current post-bacc students at East Bay, I would please like to know if you would suggest attending the program. I understand that it will vary from each student, but I would be grateful if you can shed some lights to us future East Bay'ers.

As others have brought up concerns about financial situations, I also stand in the same boat. So, it's important I make the right decision and I definitely appreciate your opinion/input. Also, since the program doesn't post any results from previous years, do you know any info. on the success rates on previous students (or current students who are applying now). If you think this is a sensitive info to toss around, please feel free to private message me.

Thank you! :naughty:

If you are CC, it will be a great program aka looks better than taking pre-reqs at community college.
If you are AE, it varies and mainly depends on how you path yourself. You pretty much have to plan smart or you'll just waste your money.

Hey guys,

I have sent my application and transcripts a week ago for the Fall 2013 career changer track. Does anyone know how competitive it is to get in the program? My stat: Undergraduate in UCB, GPA:3.1(Economics Major). Also, If i do get accepted, is it kind of late for registering classes?

Thank you.

Thanks for the response, Kevizzle.

I am on the AE track. May you please tell me what you meant by planning smart (ie. choosing the right professors, classes, speaking to the advisors, etc.)???

Many thanks!

Pretty much that's the main idea. If you have more questions, shoot me a private message

Last edited:
Hello guys,

On my CSUEB link, there's a student orientation menu bar. I was admitted for the Fall '13, should I register for the new student orientation? I'm assuming this is different from our PHAP program orientation, but are we still required to attend this orientation?

Many thanks!!!!

Hello guys,

On my CSUEB link, there's a student orientation menu bar. I was admitted for the Fall '13, should I register for the new student orientation? I'm assuming this is different from our PHAP program orientation, but are we still required to attend this orientation?

Many thanks!!!!

Sit tight and wait for the PHAP email that will have details on this.

Hello, I just got accepted to the PHAP program at Cal State East Bay and I am doing the Career Enhancer Track. I was also wondering about the orientation and if they will just send me a packet through the mail or an email. Thanks!

Hello guys,

Many thanks!!!!
Don't register for the new student orientation!

Hey guys,

If you are interested, please email Gina (see below; and no, that's not me)
I'm just posting this opportunity for those who might be interested. :)

FWD:
Hey Everyone!
Anyone interested in saving a LIFE? Well, I'm a committee member of Cal State East Bay's Relay For Life. As most of you know Relay For Life is a nationwide event for promoting cancer awareness and most importantly a fundraiser for the Cancer Society. Please contact me if you are interested in participating in this years event on May 17th (it will be on campus), or if you're interested in holding a leadership role (we can use all the help we need)! If PHAP would like to create a Team that would be great too! :D Contact me if you guys have any questions
@ [email protected]

I just applied to cal state east bay's career changer post bacc today...I'm concerned that I might be a bit too late.........

g.p.a. = 3.17

undergrad = uci

science classes taken = none

Hey guys,

I'm Grace, a non traditional student from Walnut Creek, graduating from UCR with 3.18, neuroscience major. I guess I will be starting the Academic Enhancer Track and hopefully take some classes at the concord campus. Nice to "meet" you guys! :) :biglove:

Hey dkhong03,

I applied back in Feb and just heard back, so don't be discouraged! I had to follow up with them a couple times though. turns out, they had my transcripts on file but didn't update it until I called and reminded them lol. Also, when I expressed my concern that it was taking a little while to hear their decision since it's rolling admission, they said the program is not really impacted and they try to accommodate as many students as possible. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm Grace, a non traditional student from Walnut Creek, graduating from UCR with 3.18, neuroscience major. I guess I will be starting the Academic Enhancer Track and hopefully take some classes at the concord campus. Nice to "meet" you guys! :) :biglove:
Hi Grace! Welcome to the program :)

hey guys!

just got my acceptance package. wooo!

anyone looking for a roommate or know how i should go about finding one? i'm from orange county so i'm not really familiar with the area up north.

any advice would help greatly.

thanks for the words of encouragement kokodo! Congrats on getting accepted....hopefully I'll receive some exciting news in the coming months :thumbup:

Thanks Gina!

I was wondering if anyone knows what to do about graduating in spring and entering the program the same year not having graduation posted on the final transcript by the deadline? I'm graduating this year and was told it can take up to 3 months to post graduation.. I contacted the program and they said they're gonna have to look into it but was wondering if anyone has experienced this. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a CC beginning Fall 2013. Does anyone know how to register for classes?

I saw the Fall 2013 class schedule came out and that the first enrollment period begins on 5/20/13 (see:http://www20.csueastbay.edu/students/academic-and-studying/important-dates.html)

I'm looking on MyCSUEB and don't see anything about registering for classes as of now. I do have a "Final Transcript" on my To-Do List still, but I already sent in my transcript stating that I have a bachelor's degree. I am just taking some classes right now at community college that are not prerequisites for the program.

In summary, does anyone know how to register for classes?

Congratulations :) If you dont mind me asking when did you apply I'm still waiting to hear back. Waiting on 1 more transcript but I had to send them like 3 times