CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Kokodo" Thanks you made my day I'm waiting for one more transcript to post I applied in march have been calling to follow up and admissions is acting very nonchalant as if I should not be worried mean while I'm out in Texas trying to plan my relocation back to california which is where I'm originally from going nuts logging into my csueb daily soooooo hopefully ill hear good news soon :) lol

Members don't see this ad.

I just got into the program !! So excited.

I'm in the career enhancer track, but does anyone know if it's possible to take courses listed on the academic enhancer track. I have to retake gen chem, ochem and some physics.

I just got into the program !! So excited.

I'm in the career enhancer track, but does anyone know if it's possible to take courses listed on the academic enhancer track. I have to retake gen chem, ochem and some physics.

YES! I am retaking physics though for Fall 2013. By the way, just some tip, if you are retaking physics, take Dr.V..he's the man lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Kevizzle! Do you think it's still possible for me to complete the program in a year, if I have retakes to do as well?

Thank you Kevizzle! Do you think it's still possible for me to complete the program in a year, if I have retakes to do as well?

Yes, but with minimum upper div science classes. IMHO, I won't rush for 1 yr since med schools like to see a upper trend within a period of time. 1yr might not be enough to prove your academic strength nor improve your overall gpa to least 3.3ish

Do you guys know whether we receive a separate grade for a lab?
Or do we just get 1 grade for a lab + a lecture? (i.e. Gen Bio, Chem, Physics)

I'm in that admissions office really takes their sweet time :)

I just got accepted as a career changer! woot woot! Will I be receiving a package in the mail or via email?

Anyone looking for a roommate near campus? I'm from orange county.

Hello All!

I was also accepted into the CSU East bays career changers post-bac. I'm originally from Fresno, so dont know anyone here. Anyway, I was wondering what you all were doing for fin aid? I know only loans are an option for post-bac, but are any of you taking out private loans in addition to federal loans? Just curious, I'm trying to plan my finances, and i'm pretty much going to barely be able to pay living expenses with the amount of federal loans theyre offering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All!

I was also accepted into the CSU East bays career changers post-bac. I'm originally from Fresno, so dont know anyone here. Anyway, I was wondering what you all were doing for fin aid? I know only loans are an option for post-bac, but are any of you taking out private loans in addition to federal loans? Just curious, I'm trying to plan my finances, and i'm pretty much going to barely be able to pay living expenses with the amount of federal loans theyre offering.

Hi, I'm finishing my 3rd quarter in the program so I'm somewhat familiar with your situation.

There are a lot of people in the program that I know have had to either take out private loans or ask family members for money to get by.

I know it seems like a lot of money to take out (especially if it's private loans), but if you're 100% sure you're committed to this path, then I think you need to do whatever it takes to take these classes. I think the money spent for a formal program is well worth it, because you have a lot more help with professors who are our academic advisors, we have a weekly seminar that brings in admissions committee members from schools like Stanford, UCSF, UC Davis, UOP, and other schools from around the US & Caribbean, and have the committee letter to show for all your work you put into it. Plus there is always workshops like personal statement help, interview help, med student panel workshops, etc.

If you really didn't want to spend the money, you could drop from the formal program and just try to take Open University courses, but honestly OpenU is only slightly cheaper and it's a lot more stressful to not have guaranteed classes every quarter (it's stressful enough trying to figure out your schedule in the program).

In terms of financial aid questions, I've found that the front-office staff at the financial aid office aren't always well informed about our program and our situation. However, Stephen Faletti has been really helpful (he's the one that gave us the financial aid presentation at orientation last fall). His email is [email protected] if you have specific questions.

I attached a form that I'm not sure everyone knows about, but it breaks down how much aid is typically awarded.

One more thing: please keep in mind that if you are an *academic enhancer*, then ONLY upper-division classes will count towards your units for the certificate completion. If you need to re-take or take classes such as physics, G-chem, or O-chem, but are an academic enhancer, these classes WILL NOT count for your certificate. These classes only count for the *career changer* certificate, so you should plan accordingly in terms of how long it might take for you to finish the program/certificate.

Sorry this was so long, hope it helps.

Attachments

• Post-Bacc Non-Degree Programs.pdf
    201.5 KB · Views: 132
Hi, I'm finishing my 3rd quarter in the program so I'm somewhat familiar with your situation.

There are a lot of people in the program that I know have had to either take out private loans or ask family members for money to get by.

I know it seems like a lot of money to take out (especially if it's private loans), but if you're 100% sure you're committed to this path, then I think you need to do whatever it takes to take these classes. I think the money spent for a formal program is well worth it, because you have a lot more help with professors who are our academic advisors, we have a weekly seminar that brings in admissions committee members from schools like Stanford, UCSF, UC Davis, UOP, and other schools from around the US & Caribbean, and have the committee letter to show for all your work you put into it. Plus there is always workshops like personal statement help, interview help, med student panel workshops, etc.

If you really didn't want to spend the money, you could drop from the formal program and just try to take Open University courses, but honestly OpenU is only slightly cheaper and it's a lot more stressful to not have guaranteed classes every quarter (it's stressful enough trying to figure out your schedule in the program).

In terms of financial aid questions, I've found that the front-office staff at the financial aid office aren't always well informed about our program and our situation. However, Stephen Faletti has been really helpful (he's the one that gave us the financial aid presentation at orientation last fall). His email is [email protected] if you have specific questions.

I attached a form that I'm not sure everyone knows about, but it breaks down how much aid is typically awarded.

One more thing: please keep in mind that if you are an *academic enhancer*, then ONLY upper-division classes will count towards your units for the certificate completion. If you need to re-take or take classes such as physics, G-chem, or O-chem, but are an academic enhancer, these classes WILL NOT count for your certificate. These classes only count for the *career changer* certificate, so you should plan accordingly in terms of how long it might take for you to finish the program/certificate.

Thanks so much for the response! I am actually in the Career Changers track, so I will be doing two years. I'm definitely going to stay in the program regardless of the loans, but I was just wondering how most people paid their living expenses, especially those who are not from here. Are you in the career changers, or Academic enhancers? Thanks again for your input!

Thanks so much for the response! I am actually in the Career Changers track, so I will be doing two years. I'm definitely going to stay in the program regardless of the loans, but I was just wondering how most people paid their living expenses, especially those who are not from here. Are you in the career changers, or Academic enhancers? Thanks again for your input!

I am an academic enhancer. I'm actually originally from Fresno too, :)

I would say that a lot of people take out private loans for living expenses since the federal loans don't cover enough even for classes. There are others who are lucky enough to live at home, so they don't have to pay rent. Very few people I know have jobs, and if so, it's not many hours a week because studying becomes your full-time job if you want to do well.

I'm actually not too sure how career changers are paying for their 2nd year, but I know BamaNicole here on SDN is a career changer so maybe try PM'ing her? Also, GinaS2K here on SDN is familiar with the private loan process, so you can try contacting her as well.

I am fortunate enough to have a family member loaning me money. I pay ~$700 for my own room including utilities, but I know others who have less to pay for rent (~$300) because they chose to live with a lot of roommates or in sketchy areas (wouldn't recommend either one but to each their own). I need my own space and needed to feel safe since I'm not from the area, so I chose to rent a room in a home close to school up on the hill.

Really? Where did you attend High school? And what year are you? I will definitely look into messaging those individuals. Thanks for the info! I'm sure I will learn more as the process continues into the program. My family is not providing any support, so I will be relying solely on student loans for living expenses. I will be getting an apartment with my boyfriend, so I'm hoping he will get a descent job to be able to cover extra living expenses (Food, utilities, etc). We both recently graduated from Fresno State, however he is originally from the Oakland area. We also want to get a place near campus, and I need a safe/ descent area because I plan on riding my bike to school. Thanks again for your help! Maybe I will meet you in the fall if your still there!

Hi MissPreDO,
I'm just finishing my career changer program. Here's the skinny on fin aid.

You will get a max of 12,500 for the academic year assuming you haven't maxed out your loans from your UG time. That will not be enough to cover the cost of your three classes plus seminar. You will sadly have to find some form of private loans. I took out 3,000 and was able to cover my costs. I didn't get a PHAP scholarship until the summer.

You will be able to get aid for part of the second year. You will be maxed out on your federal loans at 10,500 which is the most they can give you due to your summer fin aid budget. This should cover both summer and fall. You will have to find ways to cover winter and spring. If you keep a 3.7 GPA, you can get help from the PHAP scholarship.

If you have any questions about the program as a career changer, please feel free to message me.

Hello guys,

I will be attending CSUEB this Fall and I would like to see if I can possibly find a roommate here before I start looking elsewhere. Please private message me if you are interested and we can go from there.

Also, for current students (or anyone familiar with the CSUEB area), may you please recommend some places around the Hayward campus (within 20-30min commute)? Thanks a whole bunch!!! I really appreciate it. :)

Hello guys,

I will be attending CSUEB this Fall and I would like to see if I can possibly find a roommate here before I start looking elsewhere. Please private message me if you are interested and we can go from there.

Also, for current students (or anyone familiar with the CSUEB area), may you please recommend some places around the Hayward campus (within 20-30min commute)? Thanks a whole bunch!!! I really appreciate it. :)
You might get more replies if you also post this on our FB page :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147399328620821/

And regarding where to live, if you scroll down to Alicia Nguyen's post (on our FB page), Sonja posted some great info about where to live and etc. Hope this helps. :)

Hey guys,
I also got an acceptance in the program, but I am having difficulties enrolling in classes for 2013. I don't know if I'm accessing mycsueb correctly, but is there anyone I could talk to or ask about this?

Thanks!

Does CSUEB PHAP offer research opportunities?

There are labs in the science department, but the CSU system is not as focused on research as the UC system (or so I've noticed from attending both). The labs seem to be mostly undergrad students with a professor, but there are post-bacc students who have been able to find labs. Those who couldn't find anything at CSUEB found positions at SFSU, UCSF, UC Berkeley, and UC Davis (if you want to commute that far...).

There are labs in the science department, but the CSU system is not as focused on research as the UC system (or so I've noticed from attending both). The labs seem to be mostly undergrad students with a professor, but there are post-bacc students who have been able to find labs. Those who couldn't find anything at CSUEB found positions at SFSU, UCSF, UC Berkeley, and UC Davis (if you want to commute that far...).

I see, thanks a lot for answering my question.

Is it up to the student to seek out research opportunities? I know some colleges have formal student research programs to apply to. Does CSUEB have anything like that?

I see, thanks a lot for answering my question.

Is it up to the student to seek out research opportunities? I know some colleges have formal student research programs to apply to. Does CSUEB have anything like that?

From what I saw during my time there, you're going to have to seek them out and ask. Go to office hours in the beginning and after questions about classwork, ask about research. If they don't have time for you they're upfront and you try again with another professor. You can also do Independent Study with a professor and write up a thesis of sorts with them. Talk to a few faculty advisers for that.

You might get more replies if you also post this on our FB page :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147399328620821/

And regarding where to live, if you scroll down to Alicia Nguyen's post (on our FB page), Sonja posted some great info about where to live and etc. Hope this helps. :)

And this, please come here and you'll get a hell of a lot more answers a lot faster.

From what I saw during my time there, you're going to have to seek them out and ask. Go to office hours in the beginning and after questions about classwork, ask about research. If they don't have time for you they're upfront and you try again with another professor. You can also do Independent Study with a professor and write up a thesis of sorts with them. Talk to a few faculty advisers for that.

Thanks Mika252!

I'll be starting Academic Enhancer track for Fall 2013.
I was wondering if you guys recommend any good science upper division classes or good professors?

Also what areas are nice and convenient to live, which is close to the Hayward campus?

Hello forum-goers,

I've been perusing this thread a bit while I'm at work and have been strongly considering CSUEB's formal post-bacc program for career-changers. For those currently attending, and for those who have gone through the 2 years, how was your experience? Recommended to attend? Any particularly helpful tips? Feeling of "decently-well-prepared" upon completion? Difficulty or ease for med school acceptance?

Thank you in advance, truly, for any and all help offered.

Hello All! I had a question about applying to the program while still completing my senior year at UCB...basically can I apply before I graduate and then send in my official/final transcript upon graduating, or rather whenever I receive it? Also, is a 3.1 cGPA competitive enough to get into the academic enhancer program at CSUEB? Thank you in advance! :)

Hello All! I had a question about applying to the program while still completing my senior year at UCB...basically can I apply before I graduate and then send in my official/final transcript upon graduating, or rather whenever I receive it? Also, is a 3.1 cGPA competitive enough to get into the academic enhancer program at CSUEB? Thank you in advance! :)

Yes and yes, but you won't be able to sign up for classes until they have your transcripts with the degree on them or a certificate of completion from UC Berkeley and even then things get a bit tough with the office.

I'll be starting Academic Enhancer track for Fall 2013.
I was wondering if you guys recommend any good science upper division classes or good professors?

Also what areas are nice and convenient to live, which is close to the Hayward campus?

I'm also starting up the AE track for fall 2013! and actually have the same questions! Also does anyone have any advice about apartments and places to live around East Bay?

After you complete your degree, you can also get a letter of completion stating you were awarded your degree. That's perfectly fine to submit that. I'd suggest getting that once you graduate as it came take time for it to post to your transcript.

It's been a while, how are all of my CSUEB people doing? Welcome to all the new students who are beginning this Fall Quarter. I'm no longer in this program but feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

-Cliff

Hello forum-goers,

I've been perusing this thread a bit while I'm at work and have been strongly considering CSUEB's formal post-bacc program for career-changers. For those currently attending, and for those who have gone through the 2 years, how was your experience? Recommended to attend? Any particularly helpful tips? Feeling of "decently-well-prepared" upon completion? Difficulty or ease for med school acceptance?

Thank you in advance, truly, for any and all help offered.

I was a career changer and I did enjoy my experience. My tip would be to figure out your finances before you start your first quarter. Its expensive and federal financial aid is only available for one calendar year since you're not in a degree granting program. I was lucky enough to be able to have a scholarship through the program to help me. Another tip is to be prepared to work your butt off. With my cohort, I found that people got slapped in the face with the reality of how difficult some of our classes were since we were not science majors. Upon completion, I felt decently well prepared. As for medical school acceptance, I'm working on that. There's not a huge amount of help preparing you for your application cycle since the program boomed in terms of size. I'm trying to help out with the current cohorts by coming back and doing workshops using my experience/ what I've learned so far.

Last edited:
Do we need to write a 500 word essay in the Mentor application process? Or do we just leave that blank? I am applying for CC and debating whether I should type one up or not..

Thank youuu

Hey guys!
I am a newly admitted academic enhancer student for the winter term. Do you guys have some tips and advice on what classes I should take for the first quarter? And do you know when enrollment starts for the term? On the academic calender, it says enrollment should start on 11/4 but I haven't receive anything in my email or mail about the registering process. Thank you in advance! :)

How likely is it to be able to enroll in some upper division classes through open u?

Hello All!

I was also accepted into the CSU East bays career changers post-bac. I'm originally from Fresno, so dont know anyone here.
MhX8nd
Anyway, I was wondering what you all were doing for fin aid? I know only loans are an option for post-bac, but are any of you taking out private loans in addition to federal loans? Just curious, I'm trying to plan my finances, and i'm pretty much going to barely be able to pay living expenses with the amount of federal loans theyre offering.

Hey there,

I'm currently a senior planning to graduate in May 2014, but I'm looking at post bacc programs and CSUEB is on my list! I like the program so far and liked seeing the support everyone on here has for each other :).

I know its rolling admission, I was planning on applying the beginning of January after my Fall grades are posted and will most likely be applying with about a 3.05 cgpa/ 2.9 sgpa. Does anyone know how long it takes to schedule an interview and if I have a shot at getting one?

Also, anyone else looking at CSUEB for Fall 2014??

Hey there,

I'm currently a senior planning to graduate in May 2014, but I'm looking at post bacc programs and CSUEB is on my list! I like the program so far and liked seeing the support everyone on here has for each other :).

I know its rolling admission, I was planning on applying the beginning of January after my Fall grades are posted and will most likely be applying with about a 3.05 cgpa/ 2.9 sgpa. Does anyone know how long it takes to schedule an interview and if I have a shot at getting one?

Also, anyone else looking at CSUEB for Fall 2014??

I applied last month for fall admission (career changer track) as well. I've heard from other people that they don't do interviews, and the school hasn't contacted me about one as of yet.

I applied last month for fall admission (career changer track) as well. I've heard from other people that they don't do interviews, and the school hasn't contacted me about one as of yet.

Unless they just started doing interviews or will decide to do interviews for next year's cohort…..an interview is not required. I didn't have to to one when I entered in 2011. I applied in June and was accepted in August. All I did was send in my transcripts and then registered for classes once everything was received.

How likely is it to be able to enroll in some upper division classes through open u?

You can enroll in classes in open U…..however it will not count towards your certificate. You also cannot use any scholarship money you may be awarded by the program towards those classes.

How it works is you go to the class the first meetings and hope you can get a spot. Its like being wait listed…you go and hope people drop so you can get a spot. Its kinda hard to plan a schedule around it since you don't even know if you'll be able to take the class until a week or so after classes have already started. This is how people do their English and Psychology requirements though. Some people were also trying to take microbiology this way since it wasn't available as a class in the program when I was there.

Hi Everyone,

My private bedroom and shared bathroom (with a female student from CSUEB) will be available for ONE FEMALE to move in on or after 12/23/13.

The landlord collects rent, which for my bedroom is $730 including gas/electric/water utilities. Cable/internet is set up separately by one of the housemates and we all pay him ($16/month) Trash/recycling is not included; it comes out to about $20 per person every 3 months.

My room is upstairs in a new-ish 4-bedroom home in a nice part of the Hayward Hills, right next to the Hillcrest Apartments. Technically the house is walking distance to CSUEB (10-15 min walk), but there is quite a hill going back so it's up to you if you want to invest in a parking permit to make the 5 minute drive instead.

There are ample amount of parking in the driveway. You would have complete access to a large kitchen, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, a ton of storage, and washer/dryer.

The owner of the home does not live at the house, but he lives nearby. He comes by about once every 1-3 weeks for any maintenance or to pick up the rent. He is an undergrad professor at CSUEB.

The master bedroom is occupied by a male (not in PHAP, but works as an RN). The downstairs bedroom is currently occupied by a male transfer student. We are all very friendly and quiet, and are usually either studying, eating, working, or sleeping!

Please no pets, no smoking, no drugs, etc.

Message me if u or u know someone who might be interested. Thanks,

G.

Selling the brand new unwritten Kaplan MCAT course set with 5 books for $100.

Email me if you are interested: [email protected]

I hope this thread is still being looked at.

I graduated from UC Santa Cruz in 2012 with a Biology B.S. degree. I'v spent a year in the bio-tech and bio-production industry and found this career path is not for me. I hope to reset my career and explore the physician's assistant, nutritionist, or exercise sciences careers. I'm looking to CSUEB academic enhancer program but I graduated with a 2.5 GPA which is lower than the requirement for the program. Is there a way to raise my GPA high enough to qualify?

I'm open to hearing all options about any program that can help me out.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope this thread is still being looked at.

I graduated from UC Santa Cruz in 2012 with a Biology B.S. degree. I'v spent a year in the bio-tech and bio-production industry and found this career path is not for me. I hope to reset my career and explore the physician's assistant, nutritionist, or exercise sciences careers. I'm looking to CSUEB academic enhancer program but I graduated with a 2.5 GPA which is lower than the requirement for the program. Is there a way to raise my GPA high enough to qualify?

I'm open to hearing all options about any program that can help me out.

Thank you for your time.

Route 1): Take CSUEB OpenU classes till it average up to 2.8
Route 2): Take Berkeley Extension classes till it average up to 2.8
Route 3): Take CC classes till you reach 2.8 (may risk your chance since it is CC)

imho, tbh you need least 2 years of gpa-repair plan for DO. 3~5 years for MD.

it will be a long way

Reactions: 1 user
Your best bet is either either route 1 and 2 that kevizzle suggested. You want to show that you are capable of handling rigorous science classes.

The good thing about OpenU is that you'd be on campus to stop by and ask questions about the program although I hear that berkeley extension may be cheaper. I wouldn't shoot yourself in the foot by taking classes at a CC since you've already received your degree from a four year university.

Route 1): Take CSUEB OpenU classes till it average up to 2.8
Route 2): Take Berkeley Extension classes till it average up to 2.8
Route 3): Take CC classes till you reach 2.8 (may risk your chance since it is CC)

imho, tbh you need least 2 years of gpa-repair plan for DO. 3~5 years for MD.

it will be a long way

I got an email from PHAP saying that I need to take 3 upper division courses and average a 3.0 through all 3 to be considered. I sent my app for CSUEB OpenU today but classes started on the 6th. Hopefully it all works out.
Thank you Kevizzle and BamaNicole for your input.