CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in the process of applying to the program for Fall '14. Earlier in this thread I saw a few people ask about the 500-word statement of purpose section of the application. Is that portion still unnecessary to fill out? Is it still acceptable for applicants to fill in this space with "N/A"?

Also, if I won't be receiving my degree until June of this year, should I send in my application now and send my transcripts once I officially graduate? Or wait to apply until after I've graduated? Thanks for all of the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the process of applying to the program for Fall '14. Earlier in this thread I saw a few people ask about the 500-word statement of purpose section of the application. Is that portion still unnecessary to fill out? Is it still acceptable for applicants to fill in this space with "N/A"?

Also, if I won't be receiving my degree until June of this year, should I send in my application now and send my transcripts once I officially graduate? Or wait to apply until after I've graduated? Thanks for all of the advice!

I don't know about the essay (when I applied I filled it out without asking about it) but I'm graduating in May and was told by email it is OK to apply.

I literally just wrote N/A when I applied as its not required by the program (unless that's changed) but you can't move forward with your application until you put something in the box.

Also you can apply but you won't be able for register for classes until they get documentation that you've graduation. That could be a letter from the registrar confirming you've graduated or you can wait until your degree is posted to your transcript then send that in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet is either either route 1 and 2 that kevizzle suggested. You want to show that you are capable of handling rigorous science classes.

The good thing about OpenU is that you'd be on campus to stop by and ask questions about the program although I hear that berkeley extension may be cheaper. I wouldn't shoot yourself in the foot by taking classes at a CC since you've already received your degree from a four year university.

I called my local CSU to ask about availability of core prereq science classes through Open U. She basically said it was nearly impossible to get those core classes with Open U as they are impacted and formal CSU students get priority. Anybody else get a similar or totally different response from their local CSU?? I'd appreciate the input! =)

I called my local CSU to ask about availability of core prereq science classes through Open U. She basically said it was nearly impossible to get those core classes with Open U as they are impacted and formal CSU students get priority. Anybody else get a similar or totally different response from their local CSU?? I'd appreciate the input! =)
That's the con. You only get a spot in the class if there is any room. Since these are core classes. I'm assuming most will be severely impacted.

Reactions: 1 user
I also applied for Fall 2014 admission for the CSUEB formal post bacc as an academic enhancer. I graduate in the middle of June so I'm not sure if my transcript will arrive by the deadline! Also I'm confused whether it is difficult or not to enroll in classes as a formal post bacc student vs open U student. In addition, I will most likely be commuting to the Hayward campus from SF and am wondering how likely I would be able to enroll in the Hayward vs Concord campus classes. Thanks in advance!

I also applied for Fall 2014 admission for the CSUEB formal post bacc as an academic enhancer. I graduate in the middle of June so I'm not sure if my transcript will arrive by the deadline! Also I'm confused whether it is difficult or not to enroll in classes as a formal post bacc student vs open U student. In addition, I will most likely be commuting to the Hayward campus from SF and am wondering how likely I would be able to enroll in the Hayward vs Concord campus classes. Thanks in advance!

Just wait for a decision. If you are accepted, you will be able to enroll. Its okay that you graduate in june. They'll just need your final transcript with your degree posted on it before you can enroll....but they can still make a decision on you.

The deal with Open U is that your place in the class is dependent upon if there is room. You are competiting for undergrads for a spot so it can be difficult.

Hayward in the main campus so most classes (as of now) are held there. They do fill up quickly though. The Concord campus is smaller and classes are actually easier to get into there. If you're commuting, you can take Bart to the hayward station or the walnut creek station and take the CSUEB shuttle to campus.

Thank you for your reply!! I sent in the transcripts from my previous schools but its just my current school that I won't be able to get until later. I am wondering how they can make a decision without my final transcript and grades?? Also, I think I read that as an AET there's a minimum requirement of classes I must complete. Do you know approximately how many classes that is per quarter?

Quick question, are recommendation letters/references required? On the website, it doesn't say they are required, but when you go to apply through CSU Mentor, there's a section for 3 names of references.

Thank you for your reply!! I sent in the transcripts from my previous schools but its just my current school that I won't be able to get until later. I am wondering how they can make a decision without my final transcript and grades?? Also, I think I read that as an AET there's a minimum requirement of classes I must complete. Do you know approximately how many classes that is per quarter?

they can make a final decision based on what you have so far. You do have a minimum amount to complete if you want a certificate and a full load is usually three classes per quarter.

Quick question, are recommendation letters/references required? On the website, it doesn't say they are required, but when you go to apply through CSU Mentor, there's a section for 3 names of references.

You can list 3 references, but to my understanding, it's not required and neither are the recommendations. The application is general for many other programs (not just the post-bac) and thus they have these spaces for you to fill out, but will not be used in determining if you are accepted into the program. When I called to ask if the personal statement if needed, they said "you may write something, but due to the number of staff we may not be able to read it."

Do you receive something once you submitted your SIR? I've accepted, but didn't receive an e-mail confirming anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
So has anyone who completed this program as an academic enhancer tell us about your experience and success with applying to medical school? Also were you able to get letters of recommendation from the professors?

Reactions: 1 users
I am interested in the Aet track, do you know if the seminar is required for every quarter or is it only for the first quarter? What happens if we cannot attend the seminar? Thanks!

I think that's all they look at. I did not submit any PS or anything else. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I got a letter in the mail giving me a NetID and telling me to set up an account. I did all that but there is no option for an SIR. What does this mean? Am I not accepted?

Hi everyone! I got a letter in the mail giving me a NetID and telling me to set up an account. I did all that but there is no option for an SIR. What does this mean? Am I not accepted?

Once you've set up your account, you can view your "application status" under the admissions tab on the left hand side. It will either have a "your application has been received and is being reviewed" or "congrats, you've been accepted." usually once you're admitted, you have an option for submitting your SIR, which can be found under the "application status" link.

Hey I'm accepted to the program too but I'm really worry about their acceptance rate to med school. No one seems to know over there smh does anyone have any insight.

Hello guys,
I'm also applying to the post bac program and I was wondering how long did it take to get accepted into the program? after you submitted your transcript. I submitted my transcript about two weeks ago and it says "Your application for admission is being processed" also for the people that were accepted, you guys mind sharing your stats? thank you!

Hey I'm accepted to the program too but I'm really worry about their acceptance rate to med school. No one seems to know over there smh does anyone have any insight.

we've actually had a decent showing this year. Only a handful were ready to apply. By my count there were a few MD acceptances and a lot of DO acceptances.

I was one of the MD acceptances.

@BamaNicole do you mind PMing me your personal experiences with the program or just posting here if you don't mind?? I'm a UC graduate, and I'm planning on applying for the Winter quarter at CSUEB. My GPA is a 3.3 right now. Project for after fall should be closer 3.4. I am a predental/pre PT student (still deciding, but racking up experience for both). Congrats on the MD acceptance by the way. I'm applying for the AE track. I don't know how much value there is in this program, but I know that my time at the UC I attend is up.

@BamaNicole do you mind PMing me your personal experiences with the program or just posting here if you don't mind?? I'm a UC graduate, and I'm planning on applying for the Winter quarter at CSUEB. My GPA is a 3.3 right now. Project for after fall should be closer 3.4. I am a predental/pre PT student (still deciding, but racking up experience for both). Congrats on the MD acceptance by the way. I'm applying for the AE track. I don't know how much value there is in this program, but I know that my time at the UC I attend is up.

I really liked my time in the program. I was a career changer and spent two years there. I felt like I was adequately prepared to apply for med school. Is there anything more specific you wanted me to expand on? We did have people on the AE track do very well in their professional school applications. The program has small classes and the professors/advisors actually do care about you doing well and going on to succeed in gaining an acceptance to the program of your choice. A lot of the study skills I learned there I used while preparing for the MCAT and I'm sure is going to serve me well in med school.

and thanks :)

Hi everyone I'm a new student and will start in the fall. So I talk to one of the advisor and I was kinda off turned off by the program. I don't know what to do. I really wanted this to work out. Plus the classes she suggested for me to take like calculus I is not open and I have no idea how to sign up for t through open university. That advisor was not very helpful. She basically just told this will be a challenge for me because I have a 5 month old son. Yes granted I know that and that's my personal business but, she really did not have to rub that in my face. I know what I am putting my self through and my family. I wish she was more positive. But yea! I guess I would have to ignore that take classes here anyway!

Hi everyone I'm a new student and will start in the fall. So I talk to one of the advisor and I was kinda off turned off by the program. I don't know what to do. I really wanted this to work out. Plus the classes she suggested for me to take like calculus I is not open and I have no idea how to sign up for t through open university. That advisor was not very helpful. She basically just told this will be a challenge for me because I have a 5 month old son. Yes granted I know that and that's my personal business but, she really did not have to rub that in my face. I know what I am putting my self through and my family. I wish she was more positive. But yea! I guess I would have to ignore that take classes here anyway!

I think I know who you talked to......She has some interesting communication skills. I suggest that you try to talk to another advisor. They're all more helpful. That particular advisor is very numbers focused and wants everyone there to get straight A's. Don't let her put you off. There was a girl who had two kids and was pregnant in my classes. She did just fine.

@BamaNicole Sounds good! If you could expand more on the difficulty of classes, scheduling, and life balance perhaps? I'm coming from a UC and I felt like the courses here were pretty challenge, but took an immense amount of effort to attain As. Partly my fault, but I do believe that most professors at UCs are trained for research and are not necessarily there to lecture and pour into students. Since you're in an MD program now, do you feel like it's an insane amount of work compared to undergrad, or postbac? Everything is relative up to a certain point of course! But I still wanted to hear your thoughts! And what are the biggest pros and cons to the program? And if i may ask, did MD schools tend to like the CSUEB program?

If you work hard, then you will see it in your grades. Some professors are harder than others....but honestly its the harder professors you want....you'll learn more from them. Scheduling you need to be right on the money with registering to make sure you get what you want when you want it. You can still have a life in the program. I worked, volunteered, was a peer mentor and had full loads of classes. I also lived over 60 miles away from campus the entire time i was there. There is a difference in the teaching styles of your past UC professors....these professors are amazing. They are there to teach.

I just started so I can't really comment on the amount of work but I can soon. I think that the biggest con is that the program was experiencing growing pains so sometimes you couldn't get the help with advising you needed....that got better my second year there. You'll learn which advisor you click well with and which ones you don't.

MD schools seem to like us. We have alums in various MD schools across the country. We're still relatively new though.

Hi Everyone, help me!
I just got accepted into the csu eastbay winter 2016 cohort. My question is this:
I will be graduating UC Davis with my BS in psychology with a 3.2 GPA. Is it worth it to take out $30,000 in loans for this program or should i just take more classes at a JC, boost up my GPA, take the MCAT and apply to med. school? I am worried about taking out this much money and end up not being worth it. Anyone know their acceptance rate to MD or DO schools?

Thank you.

Has anyone gotten in with less than a 2.8?
Currently have a 2.78 and I have one more UG 3 unit class to take before receiving my diploma, but I don't think an A in that would bump me to over a 2.8.
I applied for Spring 2016 so I don't have time to take classes at the CC either since classes for fall quarter already started and I didn't enroll.

hi everyone, has you taken epidemiology by Dr. Mukherjea or MCB by Dr. Baysdorfer? Could you please give me some feedback? Are the exam only based on lectures? How essential is textbook? What is the typical amount of reading per week? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Was just accepted into the program for Winter 16. Is there anyone currently in the program or who has finished the program who would be able to answer some of my questions?

Hi!

I applied to AE Fall 2016 and sent my transcripts about a month ago. My institutions all say they were sent but PHAP and the admissions office at CSUEB say they haven't received anything. Stressing out! Anyone have issues with transcripts before?

Maybe there is a delay time between sending and receiving transcripts?

Also, I'm a UCLA graduate from 2012 with a 3.4 GPA molecular bio, does anyone know if I'll have trouble getting in? I hear its getting competitive. Thanks!

I'm having the same issues with you as well!

I sent my transcript from myUCLA in November and still they haven't received anything. When I asked CSUEB, they said that the institution can send them via email but I know UCLA doesn't do that.

Have you gotten any answers so far?

Hi!

I applied to AE Fall 2016 and sent my transcripts about a month ago. My institutions all say they were sent but PHAP and the admissions office at CSUEB say they haven't received anything. Stressing out! Anyone have issues with transcripts before?

Also, I'm a UCLA graduate from 2012 with a 3.4 GPA molecular bio, does anyone know if I'll have trouble getting in? I hear its getting competitive. Thanks!

Might want to follow up in a few weeks with CSUEB. If they still haven't received anything, order the transcripts again and make sure you address it to the correct department (Pre-Health Academic Program). Sometimes when the transcripts are mailed to the wrong department (or no specific department) it will get lost.

Hey guys I just got accepted here and was wondering Who all on here got accepted for the Fall 2016 AET?!

Hi!

I think you'll be fine. My friend had a 2.8 going into the program.

Hello! I've also been accepted for Fall 2016 AET, has anyone gotten any information regarding orientation, etc..? So far, I've accepted my offer and that's about it, haven't heard about anything else.

Hello! I've also been accepted for Fall 2016 AET, has anyone gotten any information regarding orientation, etc..? So far, I've accepted my offer and that's about it, haven't heard about anything else.
Orientation unless its changed happens like the week before school starts in september but you can contact an advisor in the meantime.

Is anyone looking for a roommate for the Fall 2016 Cohort!? I'm coming from Florida so I have no clue about the California area and I would rather live in an off campus apartment than on campus dorms!

I've been accepted for Fall 2016 AET!

Where are you guys staying for this program? Student housing? Off Campus? Any suggestions?

I will be attending CSU-East Bay on their AE track this September. Feel free to message me to talk about classes or what not. I am currently residing on the peninsula and plan on commuting to class

If you work hard, then you will see it in your grades. Some professors are harder than others....but honestly its the harder professors you want....you'll learn more from them. Scheduling you need to be right on the money with registering to make sure you get what you want when you want it. You can still have a life in the program. I worked, volunteered, was a peer mentor and had full loads of classes. I also lived over 60 miles away from campus the entire time i was there. There is a difference in the teaching styles of your past UC professors....these professors are amazing. They are there to teach.

I just started so I can't really comment on the amount of work but I can soon. I think that the biggest con is that the program was experiencing growing pains so sometimes you couldn't get the help with advising you needed....that got better my second year there. You'll learn which advisor you click well with and which ones you don't.

MD schools seem to like us. We have alums in various MD schools across the country. We're still relatively new though.

Hi BamaNicole. What kind of MD medical schools like students from CSU East Bay Postbac and what MD medical schools do students from CSUEB get into? Thanks!