CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application status doesn't say whether I am a AET or career changer. It just says that I applied as a PB certificate EXT. Is there somewhere on the mycsueb website that shows what you applied for?

It says that for everybody. You (they) should already know which cohort you're in based on the transcripts you turn in. If you don't have a science background you're going to be CCT. If you have taken a good amount of science courses or have an undergraduate degree that is science related then you're on AET. Keep in mind that CCT is only available beginning the Fall Quarter, so if you're applying for any other Quarter then you should automatically be considered for the AET.

-Cliff

Members don't see this ad.

Horrible, actually. Epidemiology was cancelled the day before. Took Virology in its place. Found a sign on an empty rooming saying the class moved but said it also changed to TTh. Went to advising because that no longer worked. Waited for over an hour only to not even get in as I gave my spot to someone who had a quick question then Oscar had to leave. Then found out Virology didn't change days, just rooms and the sign was a mistake but I didn't know because I only signed up yesterday and didn't get the email before that the room changed.

Hopefully it gets better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Horrible, actually. Epidemiology was cancelled the day before. Took Virology in its place. Found a sign on an empty rooming saying the class moved but said it also changed to TTh. Went to advising because that no longer worked. Waited for over an hour only to not even get in as I gave my spot to someone who had a quick question then Oscar had to leave. Then found out Virology didn't change days, just rooms and the sign was a mistake but I didn't know because I only signed up yesterday and didn't get the email before that the room changed.

Oh man, sorry to hear that. It will definitely get better. It's the first day so stuff tends to happen. It sucks for everyone who registered for the Epi class. Good thing you were at least able to add another class. We should all plan a time to meet up, would be nice to meet everyone who has been participating on this board.

-Cliff

It'd probably be easiest to meet before or after our seminar. At least for the people on Hayward.

Yikes! Sounds similar to my first day =\ Some bumps along the way but I'm registered in everything I need to be in now. I think the program's communication about how they handle the waitlist, etc. could have been more clear during orientation. I think that would have prevented a lot of headaches.

Other than that, I've been enjoying my time here so far. If anyone is looking for places to study, here are some that I've found to be decent so far:

1. I think the Cave (1st floor of science building between North & South wings) is open until 12am including weekends. A microwave, vending machines, and copy machines are available. I think it might get crowded during exams though?

2. Panera Bread (by the Hayward airport) is open on Monday-Saturday until 9pm and Sunday until 8pm. Panera has a fair amount of booths & tables w/ chairs, along with electrical outlets and free wifi. It's fairly quiet for studying (obviously not silent like a library but it's fine with earplugs or headphones). I may or may not have a weakness for their salads :oops:

3. The 2nd floor of the library on campus has some interesting areas for studying (cubicles, computer areas, group study rooms), but the hours aren't as great, and I'm sure it gets crowded during exams like most places. My biggest complaint is that they still have chalk boards in the group study rooms. Seriously, who carries around chalk???

4. The Castro Valley Public Library looks nice (I've haven't been there yet but passed by it once), but again their hours are pretty limited.

Anyone else is welcome to add to this list and help all the PHAPers out! :)

P.S. Anyone going to the AMSA ARC/UCD event on the 6th and 7th? I can only attend on the 6th. But we should try to get a PHAP group picture for posterity :)

Yes I'm attending the AMSA event at UC Davis. I'll be there on the first day for sure but if I'm fully caught up with all of my studying I will also attend on Sunday. I have some friends that I will be meeting up with at UC Davis but we are a small group of about 3 or 4 so I don't mind meeting up with phap students too.
-Cliff

While I'm not going to the conference, we could schedule something else for another day? Maybe do a group lunch or something if we can get everyone's schedules together? Or just meet each other in pairs or something, seems easier that way. xD

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. The best way is to first see who's part of the CCT group and who are in the AET. Since I'm in the CCT I might already have classes with some of you and I did meet some of you already which is great. I'm not difficult to find, look for the bald Asian guy with the goatee in your class.

-Cliff

I know Kev and I are AEs along with quite a few others in this thread.

I think I saw you in human nutri, but I was too shy D:

I think I saw you too. xD I always sit at the same place, right side of the wall right by the outlet. xD

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow nice. This thread's still going after school started. Count me in for a meet up. :)

Whenevers! I'm down for whatevers

What day works best? My most open day is Wednesdays. Also I'm looking to sit down and chat, so everyone needs to make sure you have time scheduled in for that. Maybe 30 minutes or so. Perhaps even grab some food.

-Cliff

Coo. Wednesday is my busiest, but whenever everyone wants to meet up, I'm ok with

Sure that sounds good. Wanna meet up at 1? Is anyone else joining us :)

Thursdays...are my worst days. xD And I have midterms next week. Tuesdays are better for me (I volunteer at Highland Thursday mornings until 1 PM) or even Mondays and Wednesday between 12 and 2

Yes I can meet at 1:00pm, how about outside of the PHAP office? Also, I will be making a quick appearance at tomorrow evening's bio seminar class so that might also be an opportunity to meet.

-Cliff

Hello everyone,

I am new here, just recently admitted to the AET in the Winter quarter. But I am super confused about this program.

1. I've sent in two sets of transcripts from all my schools for more than 3 weeks, but they still put a hold on my account. Tmr Nov.5 is my registration date for classes, I don't know what to do.

2. Also do I just register the classes that fit our needs? or do they have a specific list of classes we can take?

3. So for FAFSA, do I put myself as "5th/other bac" or "graduate"?

4. Is it better to go to their office and submit documents? It takes FOREVER for them to change my account status, and I am so fed up with the transcript and questionnaire request, which I am for sure mailed at least twice for more than 4 weeks.

This is quite urgent! Please help out here!~:confused:

Hello everyone,

I am new here, just recently admitted to the AET in the Winter quarter. But I am super confused about this program.

1. I've sent in two sets of transcripts from all my schools for more than 3 weeks, but they still put a hold on my account. Tmr Nov.5 is my registration date for classes, I don't know what to do.

2. Also do I just register the classes that fit our needs? or do they have a specific list of classes we can take?

4. Is it better to go to their office and submit documents? It takes FOREVER for them to change my account status, and I am so fed up with the transcript and questionnaire request, which I am for sure mailed at least twice for more than 4 weeks.

Not much can be done about this other than waiting it out and making sure you check on your account daily. I hate to say it but 3 weeks might still not be early enough. When you apply you want to do so with adequate time because some schools don't always release transcripts soon enough unless you pay for the expedited service which costs a lot of money. The sooner you apply the sooner you can get a response, then the sooner they will ask for you to submit transcripts. It's like a domino effect. The program is a little understaffed when it comes to the administrtation side so the earlier the better when submitting transcripts. What happens is a staff member has to manually go through all transcripts and enters them into the computer to show that they've been received and then the hold status will be lifted. Unfortunately this has to be done for hundreds of applications that they receive.

You should have been given a user id number that starts with two letters followed by four numbers in the mail and given access to a horizon email account which is what CSU East Bay uses for student email address. There was an email that was sent out last week by the department director that has a list of classes to register for based on your cohort. If you have not received this your student ID or email, here is the list of classes you are to register for based on your winter 2013 cohort:

Hayward Campus
Winter 2013 (Academic Advanced) – AA6-1(NEW!)
This is the new academic advanced (enhancers) group starting winter 2013. The seminar is REQUIRED! If you have taken a biochemistry course in your undergrad, pls go straight to Chem 4412- the 2nd in the series.
BIOL3410 - Epidemiology (4 Units)
09SS 3155 SSD LEC 30/30 TTh Hayward Campus 08:00A-09:50A Bauzon F.
10SS xxxx SSD LEC 30/30 Hayward Campus section to be input by 11/5/12
BIOL4441 - Principles of Virology (4 Units)
09SS 3177 SSD LEC 30/30 MW Hayward Campus 04:00P-05:50P Manshadi F.

CHEM4411 - General Biochemistry (4 Units)

09SS 3168 SSD LEC 30/30 TTh Hayward Campus 10:00A-11:50A Ancheta A.
CHEM4412 - General Biochemistry (4 Units)

08SS 3159 SSD LEC 30/30 MW Hayward Campus 12:00P-01:50P Kwan H.
09SS 3160 SSD LEC 30/30 MW Hayward Campus 04:00P-05:50P Kwan H.

BIOL4820 - Biology Seminar (1 Units)
09SS 3166 SSD SEM 165/165 Th Hayward Campus 06:00P-06:50P Wambuguh O.

5th/other bac

Not sure how the process really works but I don't believe turning in the transcripts directly will speed up the process by any means. It has to go through the admissions office to be verified as official and then it goes to the PHAP office for verification of classes that will be required for the program if you are CCT or AET. Giving them more duplicates of transcripts might delay the process even more.

The only thing I can say is to relax a little if you can. Easier said than done but I can guarantee you that there are many students that have and will experience the same things you're going through at the moment. The first quarter is very hectic at times when it comes to registration and dealing with the admissions process. It will all work out, just have to stick it out for the first quarter and things will be better by the next time around. Hope that helps.

-Cliff

Hey guys,

So I'm looking into CSUEB to retake a few undergrad classes that I messed up in during fresh and soph year. Do I just apply as an unclassified post-bacc or do I just take these classes through open university? My only concern is that it will be difficult to get into classes like gen chem or gen bio for example..

Not much can be done about this other than waiting it out and making sure you check on your account daily. I hate to say it but 3 weeks might still not be early enough. When you apply you want to do so with adequate time because some schools don't always release transcripts soon enough unless you pay for the expedited service which costs a lot of money. The sooner you apply the sooner you can get a response, then the sooner they will ask for you to submit transcripts. It's like a domino effect. The program is a little understaffed when it comes to the administrtation side so the earlier the better when submitting transcripts. What happens is a staff member has to manually go through all transcripts and enters them into the computer to show that they've been received and then the hold status will be lifted. Unfortunately this has to be done for hundreds of applications that they receive.

You should have been given a user id number that starts with two letters followed by four numbers in the mail and given access to a horizon email account which is what CSU East Bay uses for student email address. There was an email that was sent out last week by the department director that has a list of classes to register for based on your cohort. If you have not received this your student ID or email, here is the list of classes you are to register for based on your winter 2013 cohort:

Hayward Campus
This is the new academic advanced (enhancers) group starting winter 2013. The seminar is REQUIRED! If you have taken a biochemistry course in your undergrad, pls go straight to Chem 4412- the 2nd in the series.

5th/other bac

Not sure how the process really works but I don't believe turning in the transcripts directly will speed up the process by any means. It has to go through the admissions office to be verified as official and then it goes to the PHAP office for verification of classes that will be required for the program if you are CCT or AET. Giving them more duplicates of transcripts might delay the process even more.

The only thing I can say is to relax a little if you can. Easier said than done but I can guarantee you that there are many students that have and will experience the same things you're going through at the moment. The first quarter is very hectic at times when it comes to registration and dealing with the admissions process. It will all work out, just have to stick it out for the first quarter and things will be better by the next time around. Hope that helps.

-Cliff
Thank you for your well-explained reply!

If I still have to wait, what if the classes and waiting list are full by the time they clear my hold? Will they have enough spots for all the postbac. students they admitted?

I didn't receive that email of class list at all, and no instruction or orientation info can be obtained. This program is sorta unorganized.

Thank you again for helping me!

Good news!:laugh: I can enroll now despite the fact that I don't know why they let me enroll with the hold. Maybe coz I've sent multiple emails to the office of register, PEMSA,etc.Anyways, if you are reading this, if you too have problems with enrollment, actively call/email the related departments with courtesy. Have a nice day! I am now off to financial aid problems... If you have a room in your house or you want to find a housemate(no room sharing), please PM me or reply. Thank you!:thumbup::luck::D

Good news!:laugh: I can enroll now despite the fact that I don't know why they let me enroll with the hold. Maybe coz I've sent multiple emails to the office of register, PEMSA,etc.Anyways, if you are reading this, if you too have problems with enrollment, actively call/email the related departments with courtesy. Have a nice day! I am now off to financial aid problems... If you have a room in your house or you want to find a housemate(no room sharing), please PM me or reply. Thank you!:thumbup::luck::D

That's great! As for living locations, try connecting with the facebook group for roommates. I know many who found roommates that way, I'm sure there are people within your cohort also looking for roommates. Not many people respond to these forums so facebook usually works really well. A good portion of us still commute from other bay area cities.

-Cliff

Hey guys,

So I'm looking into CSUEB to retake a few undergrad classes that I messed up in during fresh and soph year. Do I just apply as an unclassified post-bacc or do I just take these classes through open university? My only concern is that it will be difficult to get into classes like gen chem or gen bio for example..

The program doesn't offer "unclassified post-bacc" at least not at CSU East Bay because they do not have programs for 2nd Bachelor Degrees with the exception of the Nursing program. You can do open university if you have very few classes to retake because they don't have that many options but this is the most affordable approach. If you are patient it can be done and if you live in the bay area, consider doing open university at SJSU, SFSU and/or CSUEB to maximize the possibility of finding all of the classes you need.

If you want to get into the formal post-bacc program you can apply for the program for the Spring 2014 cohort. The program is very expensive, classes are available but not always guaranteed unless you register early. But there is a fairly good support network within the program and the student/faculty advisors will be able to assist further. The program accepts more than available seats in the classroom just in case a few students drop out of the program, which tends to happen every quarter.

-Cliff

Hayward Campus

Are these the only classes that the people that are coming in the AET Winter 2013 Cohort can take or can we sign up for other classes as well. Also after what number of waitlisted students for a class is it usually where you won't be able to sign up?

Last edited:
Hayward Campus

Are these the only classes that the people that are coming in the AET Winter 2013 Cohort can take or can we sign up for other classes as well. Also after what number of waitlisted students for a class is it usually where you won't be able to sign up?

"you can sign up for other classes as well."

Hayward Campus

They usually would like the entire cohort to at least start with the same classes. The classes listed are the classes to start with for those entering in Winter 2013 as Academic Advanced (AA) / Academic Enhancer Track (AET) cohort. If you've already taken biochem, take CHEM4412 instead. There are others on the list if you want to check your email but they are for those cohorts who are much further along.

AA = AET (Don't know why they keep changing the names) so if you see me list AA or AET, they mean the exact same thing.

-Cliff

So if I apply to the academic enhancement program, would I be able to take classes such as general chemistry or general biology? Or are those classes only for the career changer cohort? The representative I spoke to on the phone told me that I can only take academic enhancement classes, but I read somewhere in this thread that academic enhancement students and career changer students can take classes from either program and vice versa. Is this true?

Also, if I apply to the program, is it a committed 2 years?

Hey guys! so im starting PHAP program in January, winter quarter. I was wondering if you guys know of any off campus housing available/rooms right now? Thanks!!!

-ashley

hey! was wondering if you ended up finding a place? I'm trying to find a place as well. single room. ill be starting phap winter quarter!

So if I apply to the academic enhancement program, would I be able to take classes such as general chemistry or general biology? Or are those classes only for the career changer cohort? The representative I spoke to on the phone told me that I can only take academic enhancement classes, but I read somewhere in this thread that academic enhancement students and career changer students can take classes from either program and vice versa. Is this true?

Also, if I apply to the program, is it a committed 2 years?

Hi, sorry for the late response. Been super busy as of late. You can register for any of the classes from any of the cohorts as long as you have completed the prerequisites with a grade of C or better. However the classes must come from the PHAP list of classes because they have a special code for students in the post bacc program. This means you cannot take classes from the regular undergraduate classes offered through CSU eastbay. As far as the 2 year commitment, it really depends on how quickly you can get it done or how much you can afford each quarter. There is no strict contract for the duration of the program it all depends on what you would like to accomplish. Academic enhancers usually take 1-1.5 years where as career changers tend to take 2-3 years depending on their scheduling. Hope that helps.

-Cliff

Hey guys! so im starting PHAP program in January, winter quarter. I was wondering if you guys know of any off campus housing available/rooms right now? Thanks!!!

-ashley

Hi,

You might want to check out the Facebook group for this program as many students were able to connect with other students in the program and find roommates. Sorry I don't have the link for Facebook group but I'm sure you can do a search for it.

-Cliff

Hi,

You might want to check out the Facebook group for this program as many students were able to connect with other students in the program and find roommates. Sorry I don't have the link for Facebook group but I'm sure you can do a search for it.

-Cliff

Alright posted housing stuff on fb. thanks!

Also, So am i able to take immunology winter quarter even though i am a new student doing the AET route? because on the attachment they sent me it said something about taking epidemiology, virology, biochemistry, and mandatory to take bio seminar.

I read your previous posts... I THINK about how you commute from SJ? Are you still commuting from SJ. Because I am planning to live in SJ (at home) cause i wont have to pay rent and it would be alot cheaper for me. Do you think its doable? Although, I am the type to study with groups :\ Also, would you suggest driving from SJ or just taking bart? My car isnt really gas efficient.

Thanks Cliff!!

Alright posted housing stuff on fb. thanks!

Also, So am i able to take immunology winter quarter even though i am a new student doing the AET route? because on the attachment they sent me it said something about taking epidemiology, virology, biochemistry, and mandatory to take bio seminar.

I read your previous posts... I THINK about how you commute from SJ? Are you still commuting from SJ. Because I am planning to live in SJ (at home) cause i wont have to pay rent and it would be alot cheaper for me. Do you think its doable? Although, I am the type to study with groups :\ Also, would you suggest driving from SJ or just taking bart? My car isnt really gas efficient.

Thanks Cliff!!

Hi,

As long as there isn't any specific prerequisites for the course that you have not completed or passed with a C or better, you can register for any of the courses that are on the Post-Bacc program's list of classes. The list has courses scheduled for specific cohorts but it doesn't mean you can't register for them.

Living in San Jose and commuting is definitely doable. Yes I still commute to/from San Jose on a daily basis. I only caution taking the morning classes because the commute during morning hours can be total hit or miss during the morning drive. The key words you just mentioned, "won't have to pay rent" is good enough reason to still commute from San Jose. Unless it costs you $300 a month for gas then I would consider finding a closer location. However, it is difficult to find anything affordable even with roommates in the area without having additional funding via private loans, part time job or being the lucky student with nice rich parents.

Also you can switch between Bart and driving during alternate weeks which will save on wear and tear on your car. Just an idea.

Studying with groups is good, just be careful as "cliques" start to develop fast and certain groups will only study with certain people. I'm open to studying with anyone, so you can join me if you would like but I am not in any advanced sciences yet.

Hope that helps.

-Cliff

Thank goodness for this thread! Lol I'm as confused as ever. I have a few questions to ask the group, feel free to educate me.

I checked my application status and it said I'm accepted in the CC program. However, I wish to change to the AE program if my prerequisites are satisfactory, just because I've already taken those lower and some upper division chem, math and physics. Anyone knows how to do this? I've contacted several people and I have yet to receive a response from anyone in phap, admissions, my evaluator, etc.. I really wish to save money as well by skipping those courses if my previous are accredited. I thought that the evaluator would see my science coursework and recommend to apply for the AE program instead, without having to revise my initial app submitted through the CSU Mentor. Argh!

Do you get assigned advisors? Do you have to be enrolled to speak to one? I'd like to speak to an advisor this early on. Not sure how this works..

After being notified that one is accepted to the program, what's to expect next? I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I'm just waiting to hear from them, and I keep on checking my csueb account. When can I register for classes ? Would they send a list of classes by email for the term? I've seen some posts here with specific class lists, didn't get one.

I apologize if these have been previously asked. I've navigated the csueb website but I do appreciate any input from students who have been through this. It's been a while since I finished my undergrad degree and going back to school seems a bit daunting.

Any profs to avoid and recommendations? I really want to boost my GPA.

Thanks in advance!

Thank goodness for this thread! Lol I'm as confused as ever. I have a few questions to ask the group, feel free to educate me.

I checked my application status and it said I'm accepted in the CC program. However, I wish to change to the AE program if my prerequisites are satisfactory, just because I've already taken those lower and some upper division chem, math and physics. Anyone knows how to do this? I've contacted several people and I have yet to receive a response from anyone in phap, admissions, my evaluator, etc.. I really wish to save money as well by skipping those courses if my previous are accredited. I thought that the evaluator would see my science coursework and recommend to apply for the AE program instead, without having to revise my initial app submitted through the CSU Mentor. Argh!

Do you get assigned advisors? Do you have to be enrolled to speak to one? I'd like to speak to an advisor this early on. Not sure how this works..

After being notified that one is accepted to the program, what's to expect next? I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I'm just waiting to hear from them, and I keep on checking my csueb account. When can I register for classes ? Would they send a list of classes by email for the term? I've seen some posts here with specific class lists, didn't get one.

I apologize if these have been previously asked. I've navigated the csueb website but I do appreciate any input from students who have been through this. It's been a while since I finished my undergrad degree and going back to school seems a bit daunting.

Any profs to avoid and recommendations? I really want to boost my GPA.

Thanks in advance!

How to solve it from CC to AE? Go to the campus office and see Linda.

Do you get assigned advisors? Do you have to be enrolled to speak to one? No, but you sign up like every week if you like to talk to one of them.

Any profs to avoid and recommendations? All of them are good and some require you to internalize the material rather than memorizing. I say most of them are doable, but it requires "effort."

How to solve it from CC to AE? Go to the campus office and see Linda.

Do you get assigned advisors? Do you have to be enrolled to speak to one? No, but you sign up like every week if you like to talk to one of them.

Any profs to avoid and recommendations? All of them are good and some require you to internalize the material rather than memorizing. I say most of them are doable, but it requires "effort."

Thanks for answering my questions. I downloaded the form to change programs but I have to wait before I can officially switch programs. It looks like I'm not in the phap roster of "accepted" students I was told. I'm not even sure if I'm really accepted now. :( I thought I was accepted since my application status in csu mentor says "congrats your application file is complete" and I had indicated there that I intend to register (I clicked accepted). There was no record of my name in phap to my disappointment.. or maybe not just yet.

Hey Cliff,
thanks for your informative response. I really appreciate that.

Hey Gina! Just wondering if you found a good place to get a private loan? I'm having some trouble paying for tuition this quarter :\ I did not get as much loans as I hoped for :(

Hey Gina! Just wondering if you found a good place to get a private loan? I'm having some trouble paying for tuition this quarter :\ I did not get as much loans as I hoped for :(
I just went with Sallie Mae :)

I just went with Sallie Mae :)

Hey alright. So you have Sallie Mae Private loans aside from the 5500 loan that csu east bay offered? So private loans are doable? I'm kind of scared with getting private loans.. But thanks gina! :)