CSU Fresno e-mail...confused.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swartzlehman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow...this is bizarre. I applied to Fresno too. I can't see them completely wiping out the entire program for a year; that would be crazy, right?

:eek:

Hmmm yeah that sounds confusing. It sounds like they are saying that everyone must complete all prereqs before being allowed into the program for Fall 2011.....but wouldn't everyone have to do that before entering anyway? Unless they have previously allowed students to take remaining prereqs concurrently with DPT courses and now they won't be doing that?

I'd definitely contact them and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bizarre, indeed!

The first paragraph states that those required rereqs/preprof courses must be completed by 2011, which I think we can all agree is par for the course with any school before a new fall class enters. However, the second paragraph states that the DPT program will begin in 2012. This makes me wonder if the Fall 2011 comment in the first paragraph is a typo?

**anybody else feel like they are analyzing a GRE reading comp essay right now?**

I'm sure that you've written an e-mail to them (along with the God knows how many other students who received this very unclear letter), so definitely keep us posted.

**anybody else feel like they are analyzing a GRE reading comp essay right now?**

*raises hand* I sure do, this does not make sense... They definitely should have been more explicit when describing what happens between now and Fall 2012... Like others have said, I can't imagine that they would wipe the program completely for one year... A school give up that much money through tuition in the way the economy is? No way...

So weird-- definitely find out more info-- even if it means a phone call and let us know! I'm definitely intrigued...

Fresno State "pre-accepts" some people who did not attend Fresno State to complete the pre-professional year. During my last year at Fresno State there was a group of about 8 or 9 conditionally accepted PT students taking classes with me. I'm pretty sure that they aren't getting rid of the program for Fall 2011. So based on the email you posted unless you graduated from Fresno State and completed those pre-professional courses for your undergrad degree or WILL complete those other courses you won't meet the reqirements..? I think that's what they're trying to say.

Ayi ayi ayi...Now I'm wondering what the other CSUs (Long Beach, Northridge, Sac) are going to do. Granted, none of them had the MPT-DPT set up that Fresno did, but still, they are all in the same boat for a transition to DPT.

I second trinaboo -- It would appear that unless you were on track via Fresno already, you're pretty much screwed if you applied to their program. Well, this sucks. Because I applied. I am going to expect a refund of my application fees if this is the case...especially since Fresno required me to send all my transcripts to them in addition to PTCAS. That's $90 for the app fees plus who knows how much for transcripts. Argh.

So basically, you have to be a Pre-PT undergrad from Fresno State to bew considered. Where are we supposed to take "PT-patient interaction"?????
:confused:

This is so shady. I'll request a refund of my money too. How does a school change their policy midway through an application cycle?

Also I checked with the other CSU's and they said that there are no changes being made to the MPT program for the incoming class of 2011. whew.

This is wonderful news! Thank you for checking.

Subsequently, only students that meet all of the current pre admission (Human Physiology; 1 year of Chemistry with labs; 1 year of Physics with labs; General Psychology; Introduction to Statistics) and pre-professional coursework (Human Cadaver Anatomy, Neurophysiology, Pathophysiology, Aging and Development, Health Care Issues, Exercise Physiology, Psychological Aspects of Disabilities, Patient Practitioner Interaction, and Medical Terminology) prior to the beginning of the fall 2011 semester can, at this point, be considered for acceptance.

I received a similar email, with this difference:

"In review of your file, you have actually completed the majority of our pre-professional courses and we would like to invite you to move forward in the process toward an interview with the department. If you however, decide to continue in the process and are accepted into the 3 year DPT program, it is important to note that you would be required to make up the additional courses that you do not have completed in the pre-professional course work concurrently during the first year of our 3-year DPT program (fall semester and winter session)."

So essentially I would have to do extra course loads in the first year of the program. I'm really not sure how I feel about that. And of course, on the email there is NO CONTACT phone number, so that's just an added annoyance. I'll be giving them a call today/tomorrow, so I will let everyone know what I find out.

***Just got off the phone w/ them...Penny Lacy wasn't in but the woman I spoke w/ who worked in the office was just as confused as we are....so I think CSUF got themselves in a little pickle, but I will be trying again in the morning in hopes of more substantial information.****

Last edited:
I called a little bit ago and probably spoke to the same woman as Eforma. She told me they are e-mailing everyone in alphabetical order to spread the news. I, personally, haven't received the e-mail yet. She basically told me what Eforma just said, that if you have most of the pre-reqs, such as Ex. Phys, Patho etc... that you'll be considered. I agree, she had no idea what was going on. I asked if the class of 2013 would graduate with a DPT degree and she said, "I think so."

What a mess. Why not just stay the course with the MPT for a year or two, like the other CSU schools?

Eforma,
which pre-reqs from the "pre-professional" list have you completed?

Eforma,
which pre-reqs from the "pre-professional" list have you completed?

That's an excellent question. From what I am assuming these are the courses they are referring to:

Medical Terminology
Human Cadaver Anatomy
Exercise Physiology
Motor Control

And I think Pathophysiology...I'd have to look over my transcript again. (All the classes run together at this point)

It would serve this school well if all affected applicants withdrew and demanded refunds.

Unless there is missing information here that is making this seem more obtuse than it actually is, this seems like a huge cluster $&#! that I would want to be no part of.

It would serve this school well if all affected applicants withdrew and demanded refunds.

Unless there is missing information here that is making this seem more obtuse than it actually is, this seems like a huge cluster $&#! that I would want to be no part of.

Agreed. (again haha)

I just received the e-mail asking for interview. I'm with you, Eforma. I'm not sure that I would even want to take on an extra 2-3 classes per semester. What are your thoughts about the interview? Are you going to interview and just see what happens? That's what I'm headin' towards.