CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiralgalaxy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow OT applications!

As anyone who has applied to the CSUDH program knows, the deadline passed a few weeks ago. I am sort of putting all my eggs in one basket with this school -- it's number one in my book due to location and cost -- and am getting the expected anticipatory anxiety about it. I thought I'd create an updated thread where any fellow applicants can talk about their stats, and where current/past students of the programs can chime in with their wisdom.

GPA was 3.91, about a 1200 GRE score (when converted to the old format), only about 50-something hours of volunteer work at a hand clinic when I submitted my application (I took the OTR 495 Intro to OT course to waive the requirement though, just couldn't get 80 hrs in working nearly full-time and finding other clinics for variety of volunteering was near-impossible). I do sort of work in a related field as a cognitive trainer. Several of my students are TBI cases.

Thoughts?

Also, what other CA schools are you considering? I'm only doing USC and possibly Loma Linda as I do not have several of the prereqs required by SJSU (such as neuroanatomy online -- was unable to even get in touch with the prof who taught it -- and working with a cadaver).

Members don't see this ad.

Wow you have a great GPA, GRE, and job, they would be crazy not to accept you!

San Jose is my first choice, and CSUDH my second chance. I'm also applying to St. Augustine for next Fall, Dominican if I dont get into SJ or CSUDH, maybe Loma Linda (I see their deadline is coming up but I'm busy working full time and working on my SJ, St. Augustine, and OTCAS apps because I want to send those in ASAP), and a few other out of state schools that use OTCAS.

My undergraduate GPA is 3.1 but iv taken a few classes after I graduated like Anat and Phys and a few others and got all A's. My GRE is 153 Quantitative, 157 Verbal, and 4.5 writing.

You can apply to SJ without having all your prereqs completed. In fact, they said that most students wait to take neuroanatomy after they have been accepted, the summer before the program starts.

Have you heard that CSUDH (and the other state schools) might not accept grad students that are California residents applying for the spring semester? I heard about it in the newspaper, and it's a little worrisome. I think it depends on the outcome of voting in Nov.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hillary is correct about Neuroanatomy, in fact I think my entire cohort had not taken neuro prior to admission. The good news (for those with bachelors degrees already) is that because SJSU has ended their 5 year BS/MS program, they will most likely double the size of the Pattern II admits.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA : 3.07, GRE is : 145 V, 152 Q, and 3.0 Writing (ekkooo.. I tried my best for the GRE thou)
I have about 350 observation hrs with OT, and 4 strong letter of rec.

I am still waiting for the OTCAS to verify my app, but I already applied to USA, SMerrit, Dominician, Loma LInda, and 5 other schools by OTCAS.

Hopefully I get in one

According to the thread of last year, I believe that by early November, CSUDH will send out their letters: acceptance, rejection or waitlist ( I just hope for the waitlist, nothing more):D

I too am anxiously waiting the results for CSUDH. I heard today that the results will be coming out mid-November to mid-December. I wish it was sooner! I've already got into USA but, CSUDH is definitely my top choice.

Here's my stats:
GPA: 3.04
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Major: BS General Biology
GRE: 159 Quan/157 Verbal/4.5 Writing
Volunteer Hours: ~160hrs (Rehab Center 100 hrs & Pediatric Clinic 60 hrs)

This is my second time applying. I got on the alternate list last year but they told me my GPA and GRE score (560 Quan/560 Verbal/4.0 writing) was too low. I bumped up my GRE score a little and got some more volunteer hours. I am not too optimisitic but we will see what happens...

Good Luck everyone!!

Last edited:
Hi!

Let's hope you get in this time! Let me know if you end up getting in:] Thanks! GL!

My GPA : 3.07, GRE is : 145 V, 152 Q, and 3.0 Writing (ekkooo.. I tried my best for the GRE thou)
I have about 350 observation hrs with OT, and 4 strong letter of rec.

I am still waiting for the OTCAS to verify my app, but I already applied to USA, SMerrit, Dominician, Loma LInda, and 5 other schools by OTCAS.

Hopefully I get in one

According to the thread of last year, I believe that by early November, CSUDH will send out their letters: acceptance, rejection or waitlist ( I just hope for the waitlist, nothing more):D
Hi!

Let's hope you get in this time! Let me know if you end up getting in:] Thanks! GL!

I too am anxiously waiting the results for CSUDH. I heard today that the results will be coming out mid-November to mid-December. I wish it was sooner! I've already got into USA but, CSUDH is definitely my top choice.

Here's my stats:

This is my second time applying. I got on the alternate list last year but they told me my GPA and GRE score (560 Quan/560 Verbal/4.0 writing) was too low. I bumped up my GRE score a little and got some more volunteer hours. I am not too optimisitic but we will see what happens...

Good Luck everyone!!
Hi!

Does anybody know if there is an interview for CSUDH? It says that interview "may be scheduled." Has anyone here gone through the process. If so, any advice??

Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything about when acceptances may be mailed out for the 2013 OT Program at CSUDH?

Here's my stats:

Good Luck everyone!!

They usually send out the acceptance letters a little bit before Thanksgiving. This is my third time applying and I really hope I get in. I've been wait-listed twice.

GPA 3.47
Pre-req: 3.78
Major: Psychology
GRE: 150V 148Q 4 Writing
Volunteer hours: about 100 (60 geriatrics/40 pediatric)

Good luck everyone!

I really hope you get in. Your persistence is truly inspiring! Good luck!

Has anyone heard back yet? Waiting anxiously and coming up with all kinds of scenarios about them never receiving my application...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back yet? Waiting anxiously and coming up with all kinds of scenarios about them never receiving my application...

HI! You should check your mycsudh account under application status..they change it on their first before sending you the letter. The letter comes in like two weeks afterwards. They changed my status around this time last year :) Good luck!

I haven't heard back as well. I keep checking my status to see if it has changed. Hopefully, Monday they will let us know. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've been checking my status constantly as well. However, I did email Terry Peralta, and she said that letters will "probably be sent out mid November." So I'm guessing our status will change around the 15th of November give or take 1-5 days. Good luck to everyone!

Does the status on MyCSUDH change at all if you don't get accepted? So nervous 24/7!

my status changed! i got in! good luck to everyone!

Congratulations!

Do you mind sharing your stats, Mealine?

Thanks! Sure!

Undergrad: UC Irvine, BA Psychology and Social Behavior, BA Criminology
Undergrad GPA: 3.697
Pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Cum score 323, Writing 4
Volunteering: 170 hours at a pediatric clinic
Work experience: 1 year as Early Interventionist/Infant Teacher

Since applying, I have started shadowing a hand therapist. I was really worried because all of my experience is in pediatrics. But whew!

Thanks! Sure!

Undergrad: UC Irvine, BA Psychology and Social Behavior, BA Criminology
Undergrad GPA: 3.697
GRE: Cum score 323, Writing 4
Volunteering: 170 hours at a pediatric clinic
Work experience: 1 year as Early Interventionist/Infant Teacher

Since applying, I have started shadowing a hand therapist. I was really worried because all of my experience is in pediatrics. But whew!
Congrats Mealine! You have outstanding stats. Could everyone here please let me know if their status changed as well? Mine has not changed...

No changes here. I have been checking non-stop lol. For a while it timed out, I wonder if a lot of people are checking. So stressful!

No changes on mine either. I'm hoping they tell everyone pretty soon!

no changes on mine too:( i am getting anxious... did anybody's change? Also, if you are rejected, does your status also change or does not change at all?

I'm also getting extremely anxious. Has anyone else out there heard anything/had their status change?? Mine has not. I thought I had a decent shot :( Trying to stay positive.

I'm also getting extremely anxious. Has anyone else out there heard anything/had their status change?? Mine has not. I thought I had a decent shot :( Trying to stay positive.

My status has not changed either.

A few more people on another forum I'm commenting on has been accepted/their status has changed for CSUDH.

What are your guys' stats if you all don't mind sharing??

A few more people on another forum I'm commenting on has been accepted/their status has changed for CSUDH.

What are your guys' stats if you all don't mind sharing??

What other forums are people commenting on? Just curious.

My stats are:

Undergrad: UC Riverside, BS Sociology
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
GRE: Cum score 310, Writing 4
Volunteering: 130 hours at a pediatric clinic + OTR 495
Work experience: 2 years as a Behavioral Therapist working with children with Autism. And 7+ years of "loosely related" experience in medical and disability case mgmt.

I know my GRE score wasn't great. I wanted to retake it but ran out of time due to personal circumstances this year. Such is life. I didn't think it was THAT bad though.

What other forums are people commenting on? Just curious.

My stats are:

Undergrad: UC Riverside, BS Sociology
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
GRE: Cum score 310, Writing 4
Volunteering: 130 hours at a pediatric clinic + OTR 495
Work experience: 2 years as a Behavioral Therapist working with children with Autism. And 7+ years of "loosely related" experience in medical and disability case mgmt.

I know my GRE score wasn't great. I wanted to retake it but ran out of time due to personal circumstances this year. Such is life. I didn't think it was THAT bad though.
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/occ...upational-therapy-master-s-program/t48587/p13

Go to the last page, because it gives you the most recent information.

Your gre is actually not bad. 310 means you got like a 1230 or something on the old score which is pretty good. I think you'll get in. Let me know when your status changes. :)

hey everyone. My status just changed! Jacsan[/B], you should check because I'm sure yours changed too!!

My status online just changed to admitted. I'm not positive if this means I have been admitted to the OT department as well, or just the university? You know how we had to apply to both the university and the department? Anyone know the answer to this?

My status still hasnt changed. Im so devastated but trying to prepare my heart for the worst. I really hope i get into csudh! Good job you guys who got in!

http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/occ...upational-therapy-master-s-program/t48587/p13

Go to the last page, because it gives you the most recent information.

Your gre is actually not bad. 310 means you got like a 1230 or something on the old score which is pretty good. I think you'll get in. Let me know when your status changes. :)

from that forum: Just an FYI, I called the OT office at CSUDH yesterday and they said they hadn't sent out the letters yet. I also asked them if "you have been admitted to the university" means just the school or both the school and the program and they said they don't know :(

ummmmmm well that is worrisome............................. especially since i jumped the gun and told everyone i got in..........

hey everyone. My status just changed! Jacsan[/B], you should check because I'm sure yours changed too!!

Congrats seabiscuit! I hope it means what we all think it means...my status has not yet changed but it gives me so much hope that people are still having their statuses change today.
seabiscuit- do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats seabiscuit! I hope it means what we all think it means...my status has not yet changed but it gives me so much hope that people are still having their statuses change today.
seabiscuit- do you mind sharing your stats?

And congrats xbi! and everyone else too! Hope to join the club soon...

My status just changed to admitted! PHEW! Again, crossing my fingers hope that means what we think it means.

from that forum: Just an FYI, I called the OT office at CSUDH yesterday and they said they hadn't sent out the letters yet. I also asked them if "you have been admitted to the university" means just the school or both the school and the program and they said they don't know :(

ummmmmm well that is worrisome............................. especially since i jumped the gun and told everyone i got in..........
Hey Mealine. If you continue to follow that forum, someone else posted and said that they called the Graduate Admissions at CSUDH today and CSUDH graduate admissions department said congrats because you have been accepted to BOTH the university and the program.

Also, if you read the earlier comments from the forum from last year, people's status changed and they called the OT department last year and the department told them that they have been admitted to the OT department. I'm not sure why the department said "I don't know" this year...I hope I'm not wrong about this.

Congrats Jacsan! My stats aren't as good as yours, that's why I was almost positive you got in when I saw my status change :)

3.4 GPA, 1210 GRE - 155V, 153Q, 5AWA. 140 hours at outpatient hand clinic and pediatric, lots and lots of extra curricular, I also worked as a therapist for children with autism and before that, I worked in a law firm.

I would love to believe that for sure the status change means we got into the OT department, but just to make sure I don't speak too soon, I'm gonna wait until I get the letter in the mail.

I called CSUDH graduate admissions department yesterday, and the girl said YES that means I've been accepted to the OT department, but just to confirm, she transferred me to OT department.

Then the girl I spoke to at the OT department (I believe her name was Patty) said that NO it does not necessarily mean I have been accepted to the OT department and I have to wait for a letter in the mail.

I really hope you're right kiwilicious! Csudh is definitely keeping me on an emotional rollercoaster.

Most recent post from that forum:
Hi OT CSUDH applicants, I am one of the people who applied to the program as well. My status changed yesterday, and the lady at the admissions stated that it means that you have been admitted to the program. But when I talked to the department, Sam told me that I have to be patient and that the status change does not mean I got in, I have to wait for the department letter. He also told me that the committee still haven't finalized their decisions. It is confusing and nerve-wrecking. CSUDH is the only school I applied and cant wait to get in. Keep on posting guys, I keeps me hopeful and in touch!

If the OT department says this year to wait to get our official letters in the mail as other people on the forums are saying, then I would just wait then and not assume anything. What a bummer.

Did everyone who already got the acceptance apply pretty early? I delivered my application by hand on the last day it was due. However, I have not had any status change on "MyCSUDH" so I am not very hopeful. Please let me know if those of you who have had a status change had turned the app in pretty early.

Viola2, I UPS-ed my app in on the Wednesday of the last week.. I think it was September 13th or so.

Im in the same shoe as viola. I have turned in my app by hand on the last day and my status hasnt changed but the thing is when i emailed terry she sad that program is not on rolling admission and tr committee looks at the app at the same time....

It seems so weird that they wouldn't update everyone on the same day...?

But, since some of us have not had a change in status, I feel like that does mean that the people whose statuses changed are going to be admitted. I would keeps your hopes up! Congratulations to those of you who have been admitted :)

Hey all,

I also received a status change on my CSUDH account to "admitted to the university". I, too, have been told that does not mean I'm necessarily admitted to the program. We shall all see. Good luck everyone!

Viola2, they did not notify all acceptances on the same day last year. I received my status change a couple days after others started noticing their acceptances. I'm not sure why, because I know my stats were very strong. Could have been alphabetical, could have been because I still had 2 prereqs in progress, could have been just random paperwork delays. Which is why applicants are told to wait for the letter in the mail.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly, a status change online did correlate with an acceptance letter arriving in the mail about a week later. So everyone take deep breaths and relax. Your outlooks are good if you had a status change. I think the department just wants to cover their rear ends in case there are any mistakes made somewhere along the line during the process of accepting an applicant, notifying the school, updating CSUDH, mailing letters, etc. Trust me, you will have to adapt to mistakes/unclarified situations throughout the program. One of the cons of attending a public program. (Rest assured however, that I do not regret my decision to attend this program.)

Just got my CSUDH acceptance letter in the mail! Good to know I have a place to go but I'm still crossing fingers for SJSU .... which is tricky because CSUDH needs a confirmation of acceptance by this monday the 26th and I still have heard nothing from SJSU :(

Just got my CSUDH acceptance letter in the mail! Good to know I have a place to go but I'm still crossing fingers for SJSU .... which is tricky because CSUDH needs a confirmation of acceptance by this monday the 26th and I still have heard nothing from SJSU :(

Congrats on your official letter in the mail! When did you apply to SJSU? That is tricky because it's only a week away!!

Congrats on your official letter in the mail! When did you apply to SJSU? That is tricky because it's only a week away!!

Thank yoU! I applied first week of October... I even called SJSU and spoke to them and asked if they could just tell me if they even made a DECISION on my app yet (i know they might not be able to tell me if i'm accepted or not) and they still told me they can't disclose that to me and I just have to wait.

I am very grateful to be able to attend a masters program at all, so I don't want to send the wrong message, but SJSU is just my number 1 choice... if it's meant to be I will hear from them this week. If not, CSUDH will be my home!