CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats @silverwolf ! Do you mind sharing your stats? :)
Thank you!

My stats are:
Undergrad: UCLA
Cumulative GPA: 3.51
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 148 V, 159 Q, 4.5 AWA (not sure how I did so badly on verbal...)
LOR: 1 OT from peds clinic, 1 employer, 1 professor (anatomy)
Experience: 80 hours peds clinic, another 20 hours split up in multiple settings (adult day care, hospital, elementary school)

I've been working at a research lab for three years as a technician. I'm grateful for the research experience but I've long wanted to work directly with patients and found OT to be the perfect career for my personality and what I want from my career. I've been taking my pre-reqs in the evenings and shadowing OT little by little over the past few years, since I've also been working full time. After so long, I'm so excited to finally be making the transition and beginning the next chapter of my life! :)

I also got accepted to West Coast University, which I've heard great things about. I was set on going there (closer to where I live, too) until I found out about my admission to CSUDH. If anyone has any thoughts about choosing between the two schools, please chime in. I know it seems dumb to pass up CSUDH at state tuition (vs 75k at West Coast) but I've heard the faculty and program at WCU are phenomenal. If anyone has any information about the quality of education at CSUDH, ease of getting desired fieldwork sites, and how well it prepares you for the NBCOT, please do share :).

Good luck to everyone else applying!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @silverwolf!! Congratulations! I also got accepted to CSUDH this spring so hope to see you in January :) I have a question for you though, have you heard back from the university itself though? I have not heard anything about getting accepted to the university but only to the MSOT department, so I am just a little worried :/ should I be worried??

Anyway, I applied to Westcoast but unfortunately didn't make it in so congrats to you on that as well! After going to both the info sessions, I think it's up to you. CSUDH's OT program has been there a lot longer and I know they focus tremendously on bridging theory and practice. They specifically choose professors who are currently working in the area of the class they teach. They do their best to give you the fieldwork of your choice. The program is 2.5 years and it's insanely cheap.

Westcoast, for it being so new is really impressive. They boast about their fieldwork students being wanted at the facilities. One professor there actually wrote an OT textbook that is used throughout the nation (she interviewed me! :oops: I know westcoast does require an out of state fieldwork which comes out of your own pocket. The program is 2 years.

So I think either one you choose you'll be fine! They are both really great programs. :)

Hi @silverwolf!! Congratulations! I also got accepted to CSUDH this spring so hope to see you in January :) I have a question for you though, have you heard back from the university itself though? I have not heard anything about getting accepted to the university but only to the MSOT department, so I am just a little worried :/ should I be worried??

Anyway, I applied to Westcoast but unfortunately didn't make it in so congrats to you on that as well! After going to both the info sessions, I think it's up to you. CSUDH's OT program has been there a lot longer and I know they focus tremendously on bridging theory and practice. They specifically choose professors who are currently working in the area of the class they teach. They do their best to give you the fieldwork of your choice. The program is 2.5 years and it's insanely cheap.

Westcoast, for it being so new is really impressive. They boast about their fieldwork students being wanted at the facilities. One professor there actually wrote an OT textbook that is used throughout the nation (she interviewed me! :oops: I know westcoast does require an out of state fieldwork which comes out of your own pocket. The program is 2 years.

So I think either one you choose you'll be fine! They are both really great programs. :)
Hi @Otorange, congrats on your acceptance to CSUDH! I only heard back from the university back when I applied through CSUMentor and got a letter in the mail a week later with my student ID number, which I then used to apply to the department. I assumed an ID number meant I was accepted into the university. However, when I check my.csudh.edu, I noticed that under the "Accept Admission" tab, it says: "You have no applications for admission. Contact the Office of Admissions if you need further assistance." I emailed Dr. Terry Peralta asking about it, and she said that the department has final decision on admission to the program and that we just need you to follow directions stated on the admission letter. So, I don't think you should be worried! You can email Dr. Peralta if you want to be sure :).

Thanks for the feedback regarding WCU and CSUDH. Both seem to be incredible programs, but it's going to come down to the cost and commuting distance for me. I'm glad I have some time to decide! Have you decided if you'll be attending CSUDH for sure?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that information @silverwolf! That really helps ease my nerves!! My csudh portal says the same thing and I also received a letter last month with my ID number so I guess I am just waiting for the official acceptance now.

Yes, I have decided to attend csudh this spring for the same reasons as you, cost and commuting distance. I also shadowed 2 OTs who graduated from there and they were both great! They had a lot of confidence in the program. So yup, that's where I'll be this Spring

One thing I forgot to say about westcoast is they have a much smaller cohort, I think 30 or so? And CSUDH has double that, around 60-65. So if you want a tight knit community, westcoast seems to offer that.

I got a phone call from Terry last week about my application being incomplete because my Intro to Developmental Psych prerequisite didn't fulfill the lifespan requirement (it only covered through adulthood and not geriatrics). I emailed her the syllabus of a geriatrics course and an intro to human development course I took as well, but have not heard back since... I tried following up to see if these courses sufficed, but have not gotten a response... Has anyone else come across this issue? I'm so worried :(

I got a phone call from Terry last week about my application being incomplete because my Intro to Developmental Psych prerequisite didn't fulfill the lifespan requirement (it only covered through adulthood and not geriatrics). I emailed her the syllabus of a geriatrics course and an intro to human development course I took as well, but have not heard back since... I tried following up to see if these courses sufficed, but have not gotten a response... Has anyone else come across this issue? I'm so worried :(
On the website it says that you can combine 2 or more courses in order to meet that prerequisite. Since they are actually trying to contact you about your incomplete application, I think it means that you are a strong candidate-worth trying to work with you so that you can get in rather than just tossing your application aside. I hope everything works out for you! I know your stats were very competitive and I think the school sees that also.

Hey guys! I said in a previous post that I'm a current Csudh OT student who can try to answer any questions you may have. Congrats to those of you who've been accepted and to those of you who haven't, don't lose hope! I completely understand the stressful wait. Anyway, my offer is still out to those of you that are looking for a roommate: me and my husband are looking for someone to move in with us, our lease is up the first week of January. Message me if you're interested!

I just received an email with my pdf acceptance letter! So excited!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!!! I'm agonizing over here lol my stats are similar to yours
Honestly, I had a break down last night, so I know how you feel. You have better GRE scores than I do, I think you will get in! Good luck!!

Congrats @Smartpig25 !:)

Still anxiously waiting too from CSUDH.

Also, does anyone know if CSUDH sends out their acceptance letters in waves (like groups of acceptance letters out at the same time), or do they send them out individually once they believe a certain applicant should be accepted?

Thank You! and good luck to us still waiting!:)

Reactions: 3 users
No clue. It seems more scattered this years perhaps due to change and/or shortage of staff. Last year's notice of admission seemed to be more consistent, where one was accepted so were others all in the same day. This is pure speculation, of course

I got my acceptance email earlier this morning as well! I think they are sending acceptances in small clumps since @Smartpig25 and I got it around the same time.

I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time now. I was also constantly checking my emails and waiting to hear a reply back. My GRE scores weren't that great, so I was afraid I wasn't going to make it in because of that. I noticed from previous posts that although the admissions committee do look at everything, they do weigh heavily their decisions on GRE scores and prefer candidates with high writing scores (4.5+). So my advice for future candidates is to study hard for the GRE and to try to get the highest writing score possible if you want to secure an acceptance.

For those of you who are wondering what my stats are....

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 Biology Major
Prerequisites: 4.0
GRE: 152 Q, 151 V, 4 W
LOR: 1 OT, 1 employer, and 1 professor who I did research for
I have over 200+ hours of volunteering at multiple sites and have experience working with children and adults with disabilities.

For those of you still waiting to hear back, goodluck and to those who got an acceptance, can't wait to meet you all at orientation!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the website it says that you can combine 2 or more courses in order to meet that prerequisite. Since they are actually trying to contact you about your incomplete application, I think it means that you are a strong candidate-worth trying to work with you so that you can get in rather than just tossing your application aside. I hope everything works out for you! I know your stats were very competitive and I think the school sees that also.
Thank you! And congrats on your acceptance! :)

I'm not sure if @Otorange and @silverwolf have the same date as I do, but it says I need to reply by 11/17. If we all have the same date, hopefully that means that everyone else should be finding out soon!

I'm not sure if @Otorange and @silverwolf have the same date as I do, but it says I need to reply by 11/17. If we all have the same date, hopefully that means that everyone else should be finding out soon!
My pdf acceptance letter was dated 10/27, and my due date to accept + send the deposit was 11/10. Looks like they give you exactly two weeks from the day they admitted you. The acceptances seem to be coming out pretty randomly this year, not sure how they've done it in previous years.

Good luck to everyone applying :)

Reactions: 1 users
My letter was dated 10/20, got the email 10/22, and had till 11/4 to confirm. I think everyone should be receiving notice of their status no later than Thanksgiving (that was said at the info meeting)! So it is coming very soon. Best of luck!!! :)

Btw, @silverwolf @Smartpig25 @OTistheWaytoBe do you guys know if a Facebook group has been started yet for csudhmsot class of 2018?

I checked my application status today online and it has finally changed to "You have been admitted to the university"!!!

@Otorange @silverwolf @Smartpig25 you guys should check too if you have not done so already :soexcited:

I checked my application status today online and it has finally changed to "You have been admitted to the university"!!!

@Otorange @silverwolf @Smartpig25 you guys should check too if you have not done so already :soexcited:

Where does it say the application status? I looked on my.csudh under my academics and nothing comes up that says I've been accepted, or even that I've sent an application?

Was there something on there when you hadn't yet been accepted?

Where does it say the application status? I looked on my.csudh under my academics and nothing comes up that says I've been accepted, or even that I've sent an application?

Was there something on there when you hadn't yet been accepted?

I haven't been accepted yet and under admissions I have two links: one is application status and the other is accept admission. If I click application status it says that my application has been sent to the appropriate department for review. Under accept admission it says I have no applications for admission. It might be the browser you're using. I'm assuming they received your csumentor application since you received a my.csudh username.

Posting twice in a row, but whatever.

I am literally going crazy waiting! :( I check my email every few minutes. I'm really starting to lose hope and I think my biggest downfall is my overall gpa and writing score. I'm just really bummed out right now.

Here's my stats:
GPA: 3.46 (last 60 is a 3.93)
Prereq: 4.00
Gre: V: 160 Q: 152 W: 4
~350 volunteer hours 4 different settings
Letters of req: 2 OTs, 1 professor. The professor's probably wasn't that great because I barely knew her, but I didn't have a lot of options.
No related work experience either.

:(

Hi! I don't think you need to lose hope. Seeing all the posts about people getting accepted on this forum can be super discouraging, but it's only November 6th and actually only a few people have posted to say that they got in. I have very similar stats to you and totally agree, the waiting is no fun at all. At the info session they said it could take up until Thanksgiving though, so I'm trying to just be patient and not panic, as it's still early in November. Hopefully we'll all find out soon and the stress over waiting will have been for nothing! :)

Last edited:
I just checked and my status changed today as well!

I tried searching for the facebook group but didn't find it.

I know a lot of people are wondering about status. On my acceptance letter, it said to set everything up and log into my torro Mail.. But I wasn't able to at first. Tech support said it takes about a week for the system to catch up after your application is in admitted status. Hopefully that helps! Also... This might be stupid, but I have so many questions about finances. If working isn't recommended.. How do people pay rent and live? Private loans? I'm so lost!

Also... This might be stupid, but I have so many questions about finances. If working isn't recommended.. How do people pay rent and live? Private loans? I'm so lost!

Not a stupid question at all. At my information session someone asked something similar. They basically said if possible you should try to move back in with your parents/family for the duration of the program so you don't have to worry about rent. Or you could live on campus in university housing which you pay for with loans. Or you could also take out private loans to pay rent if you don't have other options. It's recommended that you don't work due to the rigors of the program, but I'm sure that isn't an option for everyone.

Not a stupid question at all. At my information session someone asked something similar. They basically said if possible you should try to move back in with your parents/family for the duration of the program so you don't have to worry about rent. Or you could live on campus in university housing which you pay for with loans. Or you could also take out private loans to pay rent if you don't have other options. It's recommended that you don't work due to the rigors of the program, but I'm sure that isn't an option for everyone.
Thanks! I guess i'm somewhat of a non traditional student - second career, not from california, have a dog.. so living with my parents and living on campus aren't options. Private loans it is! Thanks for the confirmation :)

My letter was dated 10/20, got the email 10/22, and had till 11/4 to confirm. I think everyone should be receiving notice of their status no later than Thanksgiving (that was said at the info meeting)! So it is coming very soon. Best of luck!!! :)

Btw, @silverwolf @Smartpig25 @OTistheWaytoBe do you guys know if a Facebook group has been started yet for csudhmsot class of 2018?
I don't know about any FB groups... we should make one! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I know a lot of people are wondering about status. On my acceptance letter, it said to set everything up and log into my torro Mail.. But I wasn't able to at first. Tech support said it takes about a week for the system to catch up after your application is in admitted status. Hopefully that helps! Also... This might be stupid, but I have so many questions about finances. If working isn't recommended.. How do people pay rent and live? Private loans? I'm so lost!
I wasn't able to log into toro email at first either. After emailing IT Services a few times, it seems all recently admitted students were having the same issue, but it should be resolved for everyone now. @wannabeOTinCA, I also recommend you contact their financial aid office to find out about all of your options. :)

just got my acceptance letter!! i hope everyone else heard back as well!

Reactions: 4 users
@deejayy thank you so much!! yes, i did! they're giving me until nov25th to respond. my friend who is in the OT program at CSUDH told me that there have been delays to admissions decisions bc of the change in staff, so letters are going to be going out until thanksgiving-ish.... i'm not sure how accurate she is, but that's what she told me! i hope good news is on your way!

Hey everyone! I looked on Facebook to see if there was a group created yet for Cohort 12, but didn't see it. I tried to create it but it required me to add friends to the group before I create it. If anyone wants to add me on Facebook so that I can create the group, start a conversation with me on here and I can get it started. @OTistheWaytoBe @silverwolf @Otorange @wannabeOTinCA

Good luck to those still waiting!!

Just found a lovely surprise in my inbox! I'm super excited to be a part of cohort 12 and can't wait to meet all of you in January! :hardy: Good vibes and lots of luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats @accio_puppies!!

Just so everyone knows, the Facebook group: CSUDH OT Cohort 12 is now up :). Can't wait to meet everyone in January!

Hey everyone! I looked on Facebook to see if there was a group created yet for Cohort 12, but didn't see it. I tried to create it but it required me to add friends to the group before I create it. If anyone wants to add me on Facebook so that I can create the group, start a conversation with me on here and I can get it started. @OTistheWaytoBe @silverwolf @Otorange @wannabeOTinCA

Good luck to those still waiting!!
I tried making one too, and had the same issue (needed to add friends). Thanks for making it @Smartpig25! PMing you for the link :) (can't find it on FB's search).

Just found a lovely surprise in my inbox! I'm super excited to be a part of cohort 12 and can't wait to meet all of you in January! :hardy: Good vibes and lots of luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats!!! So exciting. I'm still patiently waiting over here :(

Did everyone who was accepted get an interview?

Did everyone who was accepted get an interview?
@sjw I got my acceptance letter on 10/26, and there was no interview. I haven't heard of anyone getting interviews so far this year (some years they do interviews, some they don't).

Hello everyone! So I keep checking the forums since this is the way I can stay updated from you all - thanks everyone for sharing btw!

Does anyone know if people have started to get wait listed? I haven't heard anything - if I've gotten accepted or not and I'm curious if they've sent wait list letters as well..

@yume88 I haven't heard of anyone being wait listed but I don't think they are to that point yet. In the email I got from Sam, he said that the cohort wouldn't be complete until late November or early December. There is still hope!

Also, once I formed the Facebook group, someone let me know that there was already a group that was created a couple weeks prior. Everyone should just join that one instead, and I'll delete the one that I posted earlier. Here is the link for the other group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1650955251812934/

@yume88 I haven't heard of anyone being wait listed but I don't think they are to that point yet. In the email I got from Sam, he said that the cohort wouldn't be complete until late November or early December. There is still hope!

Also, once I formed the Facebook group, someone let me know that there was already a group that was created a couple weeks prior. Everyone should just join that one instead, and I'll delete the one that I posted earlier. Here is the link for the other group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1650955251812934/
Thanks @Smartpig25 for the information; I didn't know the cohort wouldn't be complete until late November/early December! I wonder how many letters they send in small clumps every week..

Also I forgot to congratulate all of you that got into the program! Congrats! I hope I'll hear from them soon too

I also emailed Dr Peralta a couple days ago and despite being on vacation she got back to me! Just *love* her!!!! She confirms what Smartpig said that they'll be sending out acceptances for the next two weeks.

Good luck everyone

Just checked mycsudh. It states that I have been denied of admissions. :(

I got my letter last night and I wasn't accepted :( ... I'm definitely going to do better on my GRE scores for the next cycle.

Don't give up guys! Work on what you know you need to to improve on if you really want it.