CSULA Post-Bacc 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awlookitsacat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you applying to the CSULA post bac program? Post comments/questions here. I can't be the only one this cycle on studentdoc...am I?

By the way, how does this compare to UCLA extension or UC Riverside? The CSULA program is listed by AMCAS as being unstructured as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, Im am applying to this program as well. I come from UC Riverside and am not sure what you mean by how does it compare? Where are you from and what profession do you seek to pursue after this program?

Are you applying to the CSULA post bac program? Post comments/questions here. I can't be the only one this cycle on studentdoc...am I?

By the way, how does this compare to UCLA extension or UC Riverside? The CSULA program is listed by AMCAS as being unstructured as well.

I'm on the verge of applying to the program. I have taken a lot of UCLA extension classes. CSULA probably offer more upper division biology classes than UCLA extension. Also UCLA extension is harder to become a full time student, since the classes are most likely either MW or T/Th per class. That limits the number of classes that one can take up to 2 class per quarter. Also UCLA extension cannot be covered by financial aid, meaning, a lot of times it will be out of pocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump*
Applied to the program, anyone else? Any news? Received my CCIN and PIN and GET access and everything. Does anyone know when announcements are made?

mid june.if accepted, you will get a phone call.

im thinking about applying to this program. what made you guys decide this is route to take rather than go smp route?

I was told they'll send you an email if you're accepted into the program. so make sure their email doesn't go into your spam box. there are no interviews, they'll send you an email once you've been accepted.

Do they still want two copies of each transcript?

Leester, if you check their website, they need to receive completed app by next Wednesday.And yes, 2 sets of transcript.

Thanks, I may apply next year :)
I heard of it in early May, wish I heard of it sooner!

Hey guys! Also applied. Got my CIN and PIN. Currently waiting on a reply. I've checked my application on getwebsite. Incomplete status, which I was told from admin that it was because they were still reviewing my app(?) Not sure about this. Anyone else heard back or experiencing the same issues as me?

Thanks! goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can u tell us how to access application status?

Hey laughing gas, its pretty easy.

got to get.calstatela.edu > (login using the letter W followed by the last 7 digits of your CIN, pw is GET and your PIN) > self service > student center.

ANYONE has a complete app? Mine is still incomplete after 5 days? Any news?

Checked my application status today and its marked as complete.

Does anyone know when they start sending out decisions?

still incomplete. Maybe I should give a call tomorrow. They call you around mid-june, all in one day. There will be only ~20 matriculants accepted

I got a voicemail tonight from the program about my application. Did anyone else receive a phone call?

Hey i did too! It was an acceptance call!

Did u accept the acceptance? She said it starts Jul 8, so early..

Just got the acceptance call!!!! I accepted and will be starting July 8th =]

Hey guys I was accepted to the program as well! Does anyone know what the stats are on students entering allopathic medical schools after completion of this program.

Does anybody know how much tuition costs for california residents?

I got a call telling me that it was a positive review, whatever that means. Then she asked me if i had a question. i asked her for details and she mentioned that official acceptance will come in two weeks and details will follow. until then, go home and study for the finals so you can pass your classes and graduate. cheers~

Jw what are your guys' stats? And does anyone know how helpful this program is in getting you into med school? Perhaps an alumni reading this can help? Much appreciated!

Congrats to people that had positive phone calls. One of my transcripts got lost, therefore, my app is incomplete. :mad:

Jw what are your guys' stats? And does anyone know how helpful this program is in getting you into med school? Perhaps an alumni reading this can help? Much appreciated!
My stats: 3.41 cGPA 3.57 sGPA MCAT: 26. I would also like to know the statistics on students from this program entering medical school after completion

My stats: 3.41 cGPA 3.57 sGPA MCAT: 26. I would also like to know the statistics on students from this program entering medical school after completion

Your stats are really good! I have a 3.3 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. I'm a chem major and have not taken the MCAT. What major are you? I'm from northern California and am debating whether I should move down to SoCal for this program because it's going to be a huge commitment for me, since the move is so sudden (program starts July 8th) and I am barely graduating college next weekend. I still have to take my finals this week, etc. It will be a major transition and I really want to know if the investment will be worth it.

Your stats are really good! I have a 3.3 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. I'm a chem major and have not taken the MCAT. What major are you? I'm from northern California and am debating whether I should move down to SoCal for this program because it's going to be a huge commitment for me, since the move is so sudden (program starts July 8th) and I am barely graduating college next weekend. I still have to take my finals this week, etc. It will be a major transition and I really want to know if the investment will be worth it.

I was a biological sciences major at UC Riverside, my goal is to attend a medical school here in Southern California which as we all know is very difficult to do. My stats are not up to par for these schools so I decided to do an academic record enhancing post bacc. I chose this program because of the free MCAT prep and also the health career advising. Also, I did not want to deal with doing open university crap at any other UC just a pain in the ass IMHO. Postbaccs are what you make of them take a lot of classes get all A's, really dedicate time to MCAT prep to get a 30+ and med schools will notice you. Also this program is close to home so I would be making as much of a commitment as you.

Also keep this in mind stats aren't everything, I interviewed at UCLA and was waitlisted this cycle with my humble GPA and crappy MCAT. Although I do have 2 publications and other good EC's, admissions told me if my MCAT was above a 30 I would have most likely been accepted right off the bat.

@tweevs, there are a lot of postbacc programs in No Cal have you checked those out?

I think the investment would be worth it. If you've looked into CSU-East Bay for their post bac, I think you'll see that Cal State LA is much cheaper plus they offer the MCAT academy and $2000 stipend. Students attending the MCAT academy will be offered free on-campus housing for the summer, so that gives you time to look for a place if you need to. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley, which is really close to Cal State LA, and it's a pretty decent place to live in and I don't think housing is too pricey there. I'm sure that there will be other post-bac students (myself included) who will be more than willing to help you get acclimated to the area.

I've received a "positive review" as well. Does anybody know the chances of actually being accepted as a final decision?

Last edited:
My GET account still says "incomplete" even though I got the positive review call. From what Elba told me, as long as you meet the minimum requirements to matriculate into CSULA, everyone with a positive review will be admitted.

still incomplete. Maybe I should give a call tomorrow. They call you around mid-june, all in one day. There will be only ~20 matriculants accepted

Hey Laughing Gas, how do you know there are only 20 matriculants accepted?

I can't find statistics anywhere about the success rate of their program...anyone know?

For everyone that received a positive phone call, where are you coming from? And what are you doing to prepare for moving in LA? And also, why csula?

I emailed csula about the program and he said that 48% of the alumni were getting accepted to the medical school. Not bad for such inexpensive program.

Hey Laughing Gas, how do you know there are only 20 matriculants accepted?

I can't find statistics anywhere about the success rate of their program...anyone know?

I got that info when I talked to a CSULA advisor 2 years ago.

I got a "positive review" call and my status is still "incomplete"... Does anyone who got a "positive review" call, still have their status as "incomplete"?

I got a "positive review" call and my status is still "incomplete"... Does anyone who got a "positive review" call, still have their status as "incomplete"?

I received a positive review and am still incomplete according to GET. I called admissions, apparently they are just waiting for confirmation of acceptance from the department.

is there orientation or anything for this program? i felt like i got abandoned in the dark ever since the phone call...

Harrooo everyone! I talked to Alex this morning and he informed me that official acceptances and other information about the program will be sent out through email by Wednesday. Hope this information calms some nerves, see you guy/girls in July!

You guys can also check your get account. Mine says admitted as of today :)