CT Anesthesia Fellowship Interviews 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painpainpain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting the thread for this years interview cycle. Is there another place to post this?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the interest like in your respective programs? Nobody in my program has applied for CT in years - but this year half of my class is.

edit: we have lame screen names

Whats the interest like in your respective programs? Nobody in my program has applied for CT in years - but this year half of my class is.

edit: we have lame screen names

Same with my home program. I think it's a reflection of the demand right now. There are rumblings of advanced TEE certification being required by hospitals to be a "cardiac anesthesiologist". There have been some posts on here to that effect as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 people (including myself) in our small-medium program.

Seems like interview invites out in early-mid January?

Roughly 25% of my class is going to apply. I'll be applying for CV next cycle after critical care this cycle. :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Invited to Albert Einstein today. They are offering Feb 5 and March 4

Baylor guy, any idea when the Houston programs start inviting? Or have they already?

Duke has started sending out invites.
Not to me lol. So far anyway.

I did get invites at Cleveland Clinic, Mount Sinai, Nebraska, and Albert Einstein though. The only other one I have heard from is U of Chicago, who rejected me outright back in December. To do it that early, I assume they already have a pretty good idea of who they are going to take.

Mt Sinai, CCF, duke, ucsd, USC
Nice work man.

Anyone else get a skype interview with Duke? I assume this means I am not one of their A-listers, but who knows. I'll take it. Part of me is surprised that places like this are even giving me the time of day. I've worked hard, but I see myself as pretty ordinary, and I don't come from a particularly exciting program, and so many smart people out there.

Nice work man.

Anyone else get a skype interview with Duke?

Same here, I feel the same way about it. Maybe if they like us on skype they'll invite us to come for a formal interview - Despite its big name I can't imagine I'd rank a program without seeing it first hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, I feel the same way about it. Maybe if they like us on skype they'll invite us to come for a formal interview - Despite its big name I can't imagine I'd rank a program without seeing it first hand.
My department chair knows some guys there, and speaks really highly of them. Given that, and their overall reputation, I am pretty sure I would not hesitate to rank them. Maybe not quite as highly as places I had seen and knew I was comfortable with, but still would probably have them up there. I will probably discuss rank lists with my deaprtment chair and CT director before making my final submission.

But anyway, does anyone know how this skype interview works? Is it like a pre-screening for a full interview, or do they just not have time to interview everyone on campus?

A Skype interview is a great idea, especially for people who are not at driving distance. One wouldn't want to travel for many hours to a place where one is not on the A-list.

I would argue that, in this era, all job interviews should start on Skype; it's almost like a regular interview. The traditional "interview day", at the hospital, would be more about an almost-hired candidate interviewing the employer, than the other way round.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Skype interview is a great idea, especially for people who are not at driving distance. One wouldn't want to travel for many hours to a place where one is not on the A-list.

I would argue that, in this era, all job interviews should start on Skype; it's almost like a regular interview. The traditional "interview day", at the hospital, would be more about an almost-hired candidate interviewing the employer, than the other way round.
No complaints here. I'm just happy not to be rejected at this point.

Interview from Texas A&M, haven't heard from UT Houston or Texas Heart

Since this is on the front page, are any of you crazy SDNers applying for both critical care and cardiac? I'd be interested to hear about your experiences if you are willing to share.

Since this is on the front page, are any of you crazy SDNers applying for both critical care and cardiac? I'd be interested to hear about your experiences if you are willing to share.

Do you want to work in academia? The year I did my cardiac fellowship one of my co fellows had already done a critical care fellowship (followed immediately by a cardiac fellowship) and what he found was if you want to stay in academia it is worth it to do both, otherwise it isn't. He started looking for jobs and private practice mostly wanted the cardiac fellowship and didn't care much about the critical care fellowship. Just his experience, not sure what others' experiences have been.

Do you want to work in academia? The year I did my cardiac fellowship one of my co fellows had already done a critical care fellowship (followed immediately by a cardiac fellowship) and what he found was if you want to stay in academia it is worth it to do both, otherwise it isn't. He started looking for jobs and private practice mostly wanted the cardiac fellowship and didn't care much about the critical care fellowship. Just his experience, not sure what others' experiences have been.

Yeah, I suspect I'll end up in academia. I would genuinely like to practice both CC and cardiac. I think I can foresee some opportunities for doing that, with the model being supported by other specialties, i.e. Pulm/CC and Trauma/CC at a couple of institutions I'm familiar with. I really enjoy teaching and working with learners and I think the ICU and the OR are absolutely the two best places to work and teach fundamental physiology, pharmacology, and pathophysiology.

Yeah, I suspect I'll end up in academia. I would genuinely like to practice both CC and cardiac. I think I can foresee some opportunities for doing that, with the model being supported by other specialties, i.e. Pulm/CC and Trauma/CC at a couple of institutions I'm familiar with. I really enjoy teaching and working with learners and I think the ICU and the OR are absolutely the two best places to work and teach fundamental physiology, pharmacology, and pathophysiology.

It sounds like it would be a good path for you then. Interestingly, the guy I referenced really didn't like cardiac that much, so I was a bit confused about his reason for doing both. It sounds like you know what you want, so go for it.

Folks already hear back from Vandy, Emory, Ohio State or Bid?
I have not, and I haven't met anyone on the interview trail who had mentioned any of those programs either.

Texas Heart or UT-Houston, anyone?

Not yet heard from them. Also interested in hearing back from UT Houston and Texas Heart.

Anybody hear from Stanford, UCLA, or Denver?

Anybody here from any new places? Its been a few weeks since I heard from any. Still waiting to here from some TX and CA programs. Boston as well (MGH or Brigham).

Anybody here from any new places? Its been a few weeks since I heard from any. Still waiting to here from some TX and CA programs. Boston as well (MGH or Brigham).
Here's what I've got so far...

Interview Invites:
- Mt. Sinai
- U of Nebraska
- U of Florida
- CCF
- Cedars-Sinai
- U of Minnesota
- Albert Einstein Montefiore
- Duke (skype interview)
- Oschner

Rejections:
- Loyola
- U of Chicago
- UT-Southwestern
- Mayo

I have some interest in the Houston programs and would like to hear from them. Anything else would be a bonus. I feel ok about where I stand, but you never know how competitive a given year will be.

Nice interviews. I have not heard from any Houston programs either nor do I know anyone else who has. I am also interested in UCLA. I had heard from others saying that the programs they interviewed with seem to have received more applications this year. I am wondering how many I need to actually go on.

Nice interviews. I have not heard from any Houston programs either nor do I know anyone else who has. I am also interested in UCLA. I had heard from others saying that the programs they interviewed with seem to have received more applications this year. I am wondering how many I need to actually go on.
I have heard the same. I am going to go on as many as I can, just to be safe. Also, you never know what programs might take you by surprise and impress you.

I also wish I had just applied to every program. There are a handful of pretty solid places that a classmate (who is pretty comparable to me on paper) has gotten interviews, that I didn't even apply to for one dumb reason or another. Part of me wishes I had. Oh well.

Anybody hear anything new this week? My senior resident told me he only had a few invites after beginning of March. I applied pretty broadly but haven't heard from a majority of the programs. I am wondering how many applicants there are this year.

Interviews from:

UT Houston, UT- Southwestern, Texas A&M, U of Miami, NYU, Mt Sinai, USC, Cedars

U Miami
Duke
CCF
Cincinnati

Rejections:
Mayo (very polite snail mail, very classy)
U Chicago

I can't imagine that they haven't started or sent anything out, but anyone heard from Ohio State or Vandy?

NYU
Cornell
Mt Sinai
U Florida
Albert Einstein
Minnesota
Rochester
Duke (Skype)
Ohio State

Rejections:
Mayo
UT Southwestern
U Chicago

Anybody hear from Texas Heart?

Interviews:
Beth Israel
MGH
Mt Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Montefiore
Duke
University of Chicago
Northwestern
Stanford
University of Washington

Texas Heart is currently sending out invites and will be sending out a few more invites soon per current fellow

Last edited:
I applied pretty broadly, but haven't heard from a bunch of places. So far, have interviews scheduled at:

UPMC
WPAHS
Montefiore
Henry Ford
Minnesota
Rutgers

Texas Heart is currently sending out invites and will be sending out a few more invites soon per current fellow
I have met several people who have said they received interviews from Texas Heart already. Wondering how many more they will send out as I have not heard yet...

UCLA vs. Cedars vs. UCSD...? What do you guys think?

Interview Invites:
- Mt. Sinai
- U of Nebraska
- U of Florida
- CCF
- Cedars-Sinai
- U of Minnesota
- Albert Einstein Montefiore
- Duke (skype interview)
- Oschner
- UPenn
- Tufts

I don't anticipate any more invites at this point. I have some idea of how I'm going to rank them, but I really would be happy just to match. So many smart, hardworking applicants out there, and I feel like we all look basically the same on paper. Sure there are a few really exceptional applicants, but I think most of us probably have roughly the same scores, good letters of rec, etc.. Hopefully it works out for all of us. Good luck everyone!

There is an 80% match rate for cardiac anesthesia, better than in the past.

There is an 80% match rate for cardiac anesthesia, better than in the past.
Match rates have been 70-86% over the past 3 years, according to the sf match site, but supposedly this year, programs have seen a lot more applicants. Thinking logically, I still like my chances, but it is hard not to be a little nervous after all the time and money I have put into this application process and interviewing.

Match rates have been 70-86% over the past 3 years, according to the sf match site, but supposedly this year, programs have seen a lot more applicants. Thinking logically, I still like my chances, but it is hard not to be a little nervous after all the time and money I have put into this application process and interviewing.
I think anybody who doesn't suck and really wants it can get it. If not, a CCM fellowship first can help.

Agree with this. Programs shouldnt make candidates not spend money when they really didnt want them....(looking at you certain west coast programs who invited guy from east coast program)

Match rates have been 70-86% over the past 3 years, according to the sf match site, but supposedly this year, programs have seen a lot more applicants.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. I bet the 2017 match rate isn't much different.

It's possible (likely?) that perceived competition has driven people to apply to more programs, increasing apps per program, but that doesn't mean the number of applicants nationwide for the number of spots nationwide has changed significantly.

The only stat that matters is % matched. But of course the 2017 retrospective stats we don't have yet aren't reassuring to people applying now. :)

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. I bet the 2017 match rate isn't much different.

It's possible (likely?) that perceived competition has driven people to apply to more programs, increasing apps per program, but that doesn't mean the number of applicants nationwide for the number of spots nationwide has changed significantly.

The only stat that matters is % matched. But of course the 2017 retrospective stats we don't have yet aren't reassuring to people applying now. :)
This is certainly another possibility. Time will tell. I feel like there are more people in most specialties are doing fellowships lately though. Obviously a small sample size, but more than half of my residency class is doing a fellowship, and I would say that more than half of my friends from med school are doing some kind of fellowship as well. Is this normal? I don't really know, but it seems like a lot.