Cumulative GPA 3.72 and 3.44 BCPM...Should I still try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suave Platypus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior economics major graduating in May. I have completed all pre-med prerequisite classes and have done plenty of volunteering/shadowing. I plan to take the MCAT this summer and apply next year (2017), so I'll have at least a couple of gap years working a decent contracting job at the Air Force. I'm an Oklahoma resident and my target school is OU College of Medicine.

However, I realized that my BCPM GPA is a 3.44 while my cumulative GPA is a 3.72. Are my grades are too low to bother taking the MCAT and following through with my application? I wonder if a good MCAT score can compensate for my GPA in this case.

If taking post-bac classes are necessary, it would be difficult with my full-time job. I'm pretty worried that my BCPM GPA may count me out as a competitive applicant even with a decent MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chance at an MD school will be with U OK, so go for it.

You're fine for any DO school.

I'm a senior economics major graduating in May. I have completed all pre-med prerequisite classes and have done plenty of volunteering/shadowing. I plan to take the MCAT this summer and apply next year (2017), so I'll have at least a couple of gap years working a decent contracting job at the Air Force. I'm an Oklahoma resident and my target school is OU College of Medicine.

However, I realized that my BCPM GPA is a 3.44 while my cumulative GPA is a 3.72. Are my grades are too low to bother taking the MCAT and following through with my application? I wonder if a good MCAT score can compensate for my GPA in this case.

If taking post-bac classes are necessary, it would be difficult with my full-time job. I'm pretty worried that my BCPM GPA may count me out as a competitive applicant even with a decent MCAT score.

Beast the MCAT and your fine. your best bet is OK like Goro said. If you get a 505+ then you are good for almost all DO schools