Cupping therapy at the Olympics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Extralong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You all see the cupping therapy trend happening all of the sudden at the Olympics? I actually didn't know about it. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

3593C4C600000578-3655854-image-a-8_1466668275216.jpg

This guy won the Bronze....left them on a little long

Members don't see this ad :)
nonsense.

might as well give a hickey, or stick a vacuum cleaner on your traps.

They can't stand the idea that another athlete may be getting an advantage so they have to have it, pathology and physiology be damned.

It's not unreasonably logical to use cupping for increased blood perfusion to improve circulation to soft tissue. It makes sense to use in acute sports injury and chronic repetitive pain.

To say it has more medical use beyond this purpose requires much more support from scientific evidence.

It's the KinesioTape of this year's Olympics. There will be trickle down effect where we will start to see more patient's being "treated" with it at Chiro and (unfortunately) PT clinics.

Looks like a bit of an inverse massage.

Massage has some benefits.

Meh.

It's not unreasonably logical to use cupping for increased blood perfusion to improve circulation to soft tissue. It makes sense to use in acute sports injury and chronic repetitive pain.

To say it has more medical use beyond this purpose requires much more support from scientific evidence.

Are you really a doctor?

3593C4C600000578-3655854-image-a-8_1466668275216.jpg

This guy won the Bronze....left them on a little long

There is some sort of internet kink where some people get off photoshopping fake wounds. I have no idea why or how you could be so demented to spend time doing this, but nonetheless, thats what this photo is. One common trick is to photoshop plants or seed pods into wounds.

Cupping is taught in conjunction with acupunture. Concepts are the same; increased blood flow, endogenous endorphin and enkephalins release (high), meridian point activation, chi release... Obviously meta data is indeterminate. great for young athletes in that it may distract from other pain generators ...

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/08/phelps-cupsanity/495026/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is some sort of internet kink where some people get off photoshopping fake wounds. I have no idea why or how you could be so demented to spend time doing this, but nonetheless, thats what this photo is. One common trick is to photoshop plants or seed pods into wounds.
Yes , " I photo shopped this", I then made sure to place it on a prominent location on images when one does a simple google search for cupping. I also photoshopped this one

q.jpg

You guys are looking at bad examples of "fire cupping." In fire cupping, you place a flame inside a glass jar to create a vacuum, then place it on the muscle group you want to cup. What you see here is someone who actually heated up the rim of the glass jar and burned the patient. In other words, they didn't know what they were doing and they screwed up.

The cups used by Phelps's therapist have one way suction valves, so they can be place on the skin and the air can then be pumped out, creating the vacuum and the seal. Depending on how much they pump out, they are pulling the soft tissue up away from the bone, not a direction it usually goes. Someone said reverse massage. That sounds about right. If there is enough of a vaccum, it will pull blood out of the vessels and you will see the circular bruises. Typically they would place a little salve or massage oil on the skin first, then the cup can be moved. For instance, up and down along the paraspinals.

As is typical, the people who are slamming this therapy have cherry picked the worst of the worst cases. Is it a panacea or some miracle cure? No. Anyone claiming so is misguided (I think we may have some misguided people in our own field too). It is just another therapy/modality that many people find helpful for pain. Properly performed it is non-invasive and very safe.

Reactions: 1 users
because of phelps it'll be the next fad since kinesiotaping exploded from pro beach volleyball
cash pay, weekly treatments, nice business

Great stuff. Thanks all for your input.