Curious about medical school through enlistment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evanh6152

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year student at a community college, basically just taking my intro biology courses and general ed. I have looked around these forums and seen people post "Do not enlist, finish your degree first." But I had some questions. I live on my own with my girlfriend, have little help from my family, and it's been rough. I went to a military school for 6 months to finish out my high school diploma faster and I honestly really liked the structure and organization of working for the military. I have the intellectual ability to go through school and apply to medical school, but I am wondering if going through the military might be a better route for me. I am mostly interested in either the Air Force or the Navy. I was wondering if enlisting as a Corpsman, if there was any opportunity down the road to either go to medical school after I get out of the service, or apply to become an Officer and do it down the road? Is there any chance of a Corpsman going to Officer Training School and going to med school through the military? Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Evan

Members don't see this ad.

Evan - The road from enlisting to joining the medical corps is a long one. There are advantages and disadvantages.

Steps -
1) Enlist, become Corpsman. Serve for 5 years (believe that is the min contract for being a Corpsman... ask your recruiter.)
2) Either...
2A) Leave military, use GI bill for college, or,
2B) Apply for an enlisted-to-officer program (STA-21). No guarantee they would let you go straight to medical school after this. They could make you serve another 4 years as a line officer and then apply. C'est la vie.
3) Apply for med school w/ HPSP or HSCP

I'd disagree with many - I wish that I had enlisted before college. I did not focus on my studies, and was not a great student because of it. After serving, I am a far better medical student. The discipline and life experience really makes a difference. You have an entire career to be an MD - 4 years won't be a big deal in the long run.

That's similar to me, I know I CAN be a great student but i feel like I would be a much better student with some life experience under my belt. I haven't DONE anything. And coming from a military family I think it would be a good experience for me. So after fulfilling the corpsman contract you can apply to become an officer or to HPSP? Honestly an additional 4 years wouldn't bother me. I think I would consider staying in the military for 20 years then retire and then perform medicine as a civilian.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually recommend the school first route.

I did the school thing first but left after a few years and enlisted.

FOR ME, that was the best thing. I did many awesome things in the military: jumped out of airplanes/helos, swam in oceans w/ non-bubbling UBA gear, shot various weapons, and was cross-trained in enough specialties to know that I liked medicine.

Now have been in practice for a decade.

Wouldn't change it, in hindsight.

But, it was the longer road.

so when talking to a recruiter, should I go in telling them I want to be a corpsman and plan to become an officer down the line? Also, does anyone know what the Air Force equivalent of a Corpsman is?

You seem to understand this already, but I would encourage you to enlist only if you have both a strong desire to serve and you believe that the habits you pick up will help you in all aspects of your life going forward - irrespective of medicine.

I would discourage you from enlisting, specifically as a corpsman, if you believe that doing so will either help you become an officer or increase the military's likelihood of allowing you to attend medical school on their dime. Most people who are military officers and/or physicians weren't prior enlisted. So, if one or both of those is your goal, then I suggest you pursue them directly.

Last edited:
I am a first year student at a community college, basically just taking my intro biology courses and general ed. I have looked around these forums and seen people post "Do not enlist, finish your degree first." But I had some questions. I live on my own with my girlfriend, have little help from my family, and it's been rough. I went to a military school for 6 months to finish out my high school diploma faster and I honestly really liked the structure and organization of working for the military. I have the intellectual ability to go through school and apply to medical school, but I am wondering if going through the military might be a better route for me. I am mostly interested in either the Air Force or the Navy. I was wondering if enlisting as a Corpsman, if there was any opportunity down the road to either go to medical school after I get out of the service, or apply to become an Officer and do it down the road? Is there any chance of a Corpsman going to Officer Training School and going to med school through the military? Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Evan

Road to become a physician is long. If you spend 4-5 years doing other things you are depriving 4-5 years of physician income which can approach >0.5 milion dollars. I do not not see signficant benefit in doing enlistment before college though you will acquire common sense and experiences that will help you better transition in the military after medical school/residency. I did spend 4 years enlistments between college and medical school (I was not U.S. citizens so I could not become an officer until later) and I thought that doing enlistment made my first year of medical school esp rough.