Curious if Allopathic program knows if Osteopathic candidates get matched today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crowowunt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of my Osteopathic friends get matched but they also interviewed at ACGME programs. I was wondering if the ACGME programs know the AOA match results so they don't end up ranking those who matched today.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of my Osteopathic friends get matched but they also interviewed at ACGME programs. I was wondering if the ACGME programs know the AOA match results so they don't end up ranking those who matched today.

My program (ACGME) has already made the rank list.

It shouldn't matter if someone you guys had ranked matched today into a DO spot, because it would then just skip over them and go further down the rank list, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't matter if someone you guys had ranked matched today into a DO spot, because it would then just skip over them and go further down the rank list, right?

Exactly. The DO's who matched today are pulled from the ACGME match. It's as though those applicants were never on the list

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly. The DO's who matched today are pulled from the ACGME match. It's as though those applicants were never on the list
What if they choose not to accept offer?

From the Allo programs' perspective it will be just like if the candidate applied, interviewed, then decided not to rank them.

Do you have any insight on how this might work for 2019? I'm assuming most programs will be ACGME or are a lot holding out? Do we just bail on the AOA match that year and focus on ACGME? I'm not looking at anything crazy competitive. IM/EM/FM/Psyche

Do you have any insight on how this might work for 2019? I'm assuming most programs will be ACGME or are a lot holding out? Do we just bail on the AOA match that year and focus on ACGME? I'm not looking at anything crazy competitive. IM/EM/FM/Psyche
As soon as a program receives pre-accreditation, they will participate in the MD match. So eventually all that will be left are the NRMP, SF match, and military match, because the AOA will no longer be an accrediting body in 2020.

They can't. It's a binding commitment when an applicant matches.

That and it's an auto removal from the ACGME match.
So if you want to roll the die and skip the DO Match and take your chances with ACGME you have to withdraw your name and not submit a rank list? One could see not the DO match result and then decide to take their chances?

So if you want to roll the die and skip the DO Match and take your chances with ACGME you have to withdraw your name and not submit a rank list? One could see not the DO match result and then decide to take their chances?

Nope, once you match DO its a binding commitment. You can't back out to try your hand with the MD match, you will be automatically removed from the MD match.

Which is why so many DO's skip the DO match entirely.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope, once you match DO its a binding commitment. You can't back out to try your hand with the MD match, you will be automatically removed from the MD match.

Man AOA loves ****ing its students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man AOA loves ****ing its students.
How is this "****ing its students"?. You think that AOA programs should just have to wait around another month to see if the people that matched into their program are actually gonna show up, and if not they should have to scramble to fill their class? If the AOA allowed this there wouldn't be a point of having a match at all.

This isn't med school admissions where if a school doesn't completely fill it's class it's no big deal. Residency is a job and you have the very real responsibility of running a hospital. Hospitals don't function if programs aren't filled.

If you're a medical student you should really do some reading before it's time for you to apply to residency...

Reactions: 4 users
How is this "****ing its students"?. You think that AOA programs should just have to wait around another month to see if the people that matched into their program are actually gonna show up, and if not they should have to scramble to fill their class? If the AOA allowed this there wouldn't be a point of having a match at all.

This isn't med school admissions where if a school doesn't completely fill it's class it's no big deal. Residency is a job and you have the very real responsibility of running a hospital. Hospitals don't function if programs aren't filled.

If you're a medical student you should really do some reading before it's time for you to apply to residency...
The AOA purposely makes their match first to make students make that tough decision. They draw better candidates who choose to play it conservative and not risk missing both matches. If there was a single match day people could rank their programs in one combined list and not have to worry about the chronological issues.

It's not just the AOA. The NRMP likes it this way too!

And if you apply and match the ACGME match, that is also a binding commitment.
I'm ok with binding part. It's the making their match first part that negatively affects the students. It's smart from a business standpoint. But it's hilarious to think they are doing it for any other reason than to increase their yield and keep competitive DO students who may have gone allopathic.

I'm ok with binding part. It's the making their match first part that negatively affects the students. It's smart from a business standpoint. But it's hilarious to think they are doing it for any other reason than to increase their yield and keep competitive DO students who may have gone allopathic.

I'm missing the point on why this is hilarious or negative. It makes sense.

MD's can't apply to AOA programs. There are more ACGME residencies/spots than AOA. If competitive DO's matched with ACGME first, it would increase the number of unmatched MDs and leave AOA residencies with less desirable candidates. Makes no sense.

Either way, isn't this point of the merger?

I'm missing the point on why this is hilarious or negative. It makes sense.

MD's can't apply to AOA programs. There are more ACGME residencies/spots than AOA. If competitive DO's matched with ACGME first, it would increase the number of unmatched MDs and leave AOA residencies with less desirable candidates. Makes no sense.

Either way, isn't this point of the merger?
Do you mean the "merger" that the AOA vehemently opposed?

As soon as a program receives pre-accreditation, they will participate in the MD match. So eventually all that will be left are the NRMP, SF match, and military match, because the AOA will no longer be an accrediting body in 2020.

Actually a program can't participate in the NRMP, until they have initial accreditation. Every program gets pre-accreditation once they submit their application. If the application is approved, then they get initial accreditation.

Actually a program can't participate in the NRMP, until they have initial accreditation. Every program gets pre-accreditation once they submit their application. If the application is approved, then they get initial accreditation.
Yes you're exactly right. I had the terms flipped in my mind but meant the same thing. Initial accreditation = NRMP.

Good point, but it's great if you're applying to the few AOA programs that are decently competitive, and are otherwise completely inaccessible to DO students. It's also great if you know you're not going to be competitive enough to match ACGME, and really just need to get into a program. In these cases the timing is either irrelevant or it works in your favor. Furthermore, there is always the scramble if you're into hedging your bets. In other cases, yeah, it probably works against applicants.

There are many people who will be negatively impacted by the merger.

Good point, but it's great if you're applying to the few AOA programs that are decently competitive, and are otherwise completely inaccessible to DO students. It's also great if you know you're not going to be competitive enough to match ACGME, and really just need to get into a program. In these cases the timing is either irrelevant or it works in your favor. Furthermore, there is always the scramble if you're into hedging your bets. In other cases, yeah, it probably works against applicants.

True. If you want a competitive DO residency spot, the current process is the bees knees.

It works the same way with the Canadian MD match (CaRMS), if you match in any of the 3 North american matches (NRMP, AOA, CaRMS), you get pulled from the others.

It is a binding agreement to participate in a match and once you get a spot, you can't just "hold out" for greener pastures.

Do you mean the "merger" that the AOA vehemently opposed?
Opposed but now is moving forward with.

The way I see it, if you're going to complain about the AOA match taking place a month prior, you have no business going for an ACGME program to begin with. A strong enough applicant who's likely to match ACGME would only be shooting themselves in the foot by entering the AOA match.

Opposed but now is moving forward with.

The way I see it, if you're going to complain about the AOA match taking place a month prior, you have no business going for an ACGME program to begin with. A strong enough applicant who's likely to match ACGME would only be shooting themselves in the foot by entering the AOA match.

You can't blame those who are applying to competitive specialties. As stated by medical students in the past, there is always the fear of not matching, hence the reason for playing it safe. For DO students, this means applying to AOA programs that were solely for DOs at that time. The ones who are really shooting themselves in the foot are the ones who only apply to ACGME programs and end up not matching.

You can't blame those who are applying to competitive specialties. As stated by medical students in the past, there is always the fear of not matching, hence the reason for playing it safe. For DO students, this means applying to AOA programs that were solely for DOs at that time. The ones who are really shooting themselves in the foot are the ones who only apply to ACGME programs and end up not matching.

I understand this, but one can't have the best of both worlds here. Knowing that ACGME programs are generally more desirable than AOA, it would be foolish of the AOA to have their match afterward and be everyone's back up. It doesn't make sense so why cry about it.

How does this work with programs that are dual-accredited? Would I apply to them through the AOA match or the ACGME?

How does this work with programs that are dual-accredited? Would I apply to them through the AOA match or the ACGME?
It depends on what year you are matching. If it is 2017, then they may still offer spots through the NMS match or they may have transitioned all their slots to NRMP. Nothing is stopping them either way to my knowledge. If it's getting to be 2018 or 2019, I would anticipate it will all be NRMP. You will have to give them a call or email and inquire.

I think, depending on the program, you can apply via either system and then tell the PD which match you want to be considered with. (you'd have to register with that match of course). At least that's the way it seemed with my one interaction with a dual accredited program.

I'm open to being mistaken, however. If anyone has information that indicates otherwise, bring it forward.

I think, depending on the program, you can apply via either system and then tell the PD which match you want to be considered with. (you'd have to register with that match of course). At least that's the way it seemed with my one interaction with a dual accredited program.

I'm open to being mistaken, however. If anyone has information that indicates otherwise, bring it forward.
This was how it was handled at the dual accredited program I visited.