Curious if n acetyl cysteine is used in practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birchswing

Non-medical
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Came across n acetyl cysteine and the theoretical uses for it in psychiatry. Wondering if it is used clinically or if it's one of those things that's talked about more than actually used.

This is a good article on its uses in psychiatry. I found it fascinating how broad its potential uses are:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044191/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, that study was done by a group of Australian Doctors/Research Fellows. If I remember I'll ask my Psychiatrist next session if he knows what the current state of usage/promise with this particular supplement (compound?) is.

I worked on an RCT where it was used for Trich. Not very efficacious for us. The behavioral treatments vastly outperformed it.

Yeah that study was done back in 2011 and although I did only skim through it, it did sound as if any possible benefits were tentative at that time and required more research. I'm not sure about these studies that seem to be looking for the next big thing in Psychiatric treatment that's going to come in the form of some sort of vitamin or supplement, part of me thinks looking at these non medicine alternatives has at least a little bit to do with assuaging the anti psych 'psychiatric medications kill' type crowd.

Reactions: 1 user