Curious...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my junior year of pre-med, and researching my options for medical school, and thereafter. Can you be a civilian doctor contracted to work for x amount of weeks for the military per year? My uncle suggested it, and I thought it would be an awesome experience. Thanks!
Kristen

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my junior year of pre-med, and researching my options for medical school, and thereafter. Can you be a civilian doctor contracted to work for x amount of weeks for the military per year? My uncle suggested it, and I thought it would be an awesome experience. Thanks!
Kristen

Yes but they are not easy jobs to get actually, and most if not all are filled by prior service docs that finished their committments or retired, so to be honest I dont know how easy it is to get the job because from what the Hospitalists tell me, its pretty competitive and the military will always want someone with actual military experience over someone without.

There are LOTS of civilian contractors at the various DoD hospitals. Most of the ones I have worked with were prior Army, but there are a good number of pure civilians as well.

Almost the same exact question I wanted to ask, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. What I want to know too is how easy/difficult is it to get a job with the Gov or Military working on an overseas base? I lived in Germany with my family while my Dad was stationed there and REALLY want to go back. I know there were many people on the base we were at who were civilians working for the Gov, (my bf's dad for example), but none of them that I knew personally were doctors?
Is this possible and what do you have to do to get in?