Current ARNG Officer --> Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfBreed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After countless time researching and looking around the SDN forums as a non-user I've found some great information, but nothing pertaining in my current situation that I have come across. So, here I am seeking for guidance or slight bit of direction. Before I start, I apologize in advance if there happens to be a related post that I may have not stumbled upon.

Background:
- Enlisted in the USAR straight out of high school. (2012)
- Accepted a SMP contract to a Military Junior College, MJC, (2013)
- Commissioned in the ARNG (May 2015)
- Currently finishing up bachelors degree (Present - est. 2017)
- Current time in service, TIS, 3 years
- BOLC after obtaining my Bachelor's

I am aspiring to become a physician, whether it be through the military or the civilian sector. From what I have been reading it seems to be if I attend medical school, I will have troubles balancing medical school and being in the ARNG it self (as far as my duties and responsibilities as being apart of the ARNG goes). What are my best options to attend medical school without being interfered within my duration at school? Here are the options that I have laid out so far:

-Attend USUHS
The only drawback I have read is of others, after their attendance there, is some have had problems specializing in the specialty they would like due to the fact it is based on what is available currently and the needs of the Army. Please correct me if I am wrong in any parts of my thread!!!

- Obtain a scholarship through HSPS to a civilian medical program

- Attend civilian program with student loans
If I were to go this route, how does one go from an actively drilling ARNG officer to a medical student MOS with Flexi-Drill? Could I skip out on going to BOLC and become a Med Student MOS?

Mind you, obtaining service obligations is not a big factor. Whether it be active duty or reserve component.

I appreciate any responses. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I never fully researched it but from my understanding some states offer full tuition to any state school if you're in the guard. I believe new Jersey does this... If this is the case I'd try to get into a state school there and transfer to a unit there. (fixed typo). It does seem like they'll cover medical school. http://www.state.nj.us/military/education/NJNGTP.htm

The mdssp doesn't seem like a bad deal but I didn't participate so I'm not the best to comment on it.

I'm transitioning from air force reserve to army reserve. You should be able to change your aoc before bolc. You technically have until 3 years after residency to complete bolc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Med officers do a hybrid BOLC....phase 1 is online death by powerpoint and phase two is about a month in person, neither have to be done before school starts

I'm not sure about the process of switching MOS...but since you are already ARNG I would simply ask your CO or training officer about any known issues. Staying in the guard might cause less nuisance in terms of switching MOS than trying to switch MOS and go active.....ymmv and @notdeadyet will probably know more

MDSSP does not pay tuition but it does give a ~$24k stipend in addition to drill pay....flex drill (every other month) is at discretion of your CO at the time. It is correct that some states give free tuition to guard members at the state schools.....if you can get into them, that's golden. The personality of your CO plays a large part in how annoying drill during school is....mine is flipping amazing