Current CPSE Cut Off Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is all so ridiculous. I have not received any letter or email from them. I spoke with Tammy Bailey at the BOP and although she said was less than friendly (to say the least), she did say that we would be notified in the upcoming weeks. It seems that some people have already been informed they can take it? Is that correct? I have received no letter or email. I may just submit the fee and see if that somehow sparks staff to "Manually process (my) transaction".
The BOP employees have been awful to deal with, and I can vouch for Tammy Bailey's unfriendliness. I took the EPPP mid-July and still have not received a letter or email confirming my score. The only evidence I have for passing it is the ASPPB score posted online. Tammy Bailey confirmed my eligibility for the CPSE over the phone but there still has been nothing actually sent to me, so you may be one of the unlucky ones to fall through the cracks with communication. At the rate the BOP moves with processing checks, you might as well send another payment now. When did you take the exam? Maybe that has something to do with it? I haven't taken it yet, but plan to by the end of this month.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the test yesterday 9/6/14 and missed by 3 points. The cutoff is 78%. I am very confused about the test itself. I did very well on the practice tests (used PsychPrep) and most of the questions on the actual test were nothing like what I studied. The questions were worded poorly and seemed overly complicated. Did anyone else experience this?
Sorry to hear that it was so close for you. I don't think anyone else in this forum has taken the new version of the CPSE (post-July). I plan on taking it by Oct. Did you study with the most current versions of PsychPrep? I have the Psych Prep & AATBS materials, which seem quite different in terms of detail.

so what happens if we take it in october once their software thing is updated? if we fail can we retake it faster than 6 months? I think I'm confused

Members don't see this ad :)
so what happens if we take it in october once their software thing is updated? if we fail can we retake it faster than 6 months? I think I'm confused

Wondering the same. When will there be a new form of the exam?

The waiver for the 6 month retest period only applies to those who failed between Feb and July 2014, as a new form of the exam currently exists. If you fail in October, you would most likely have to wait until the new form comes out, which would be feb 2015. You can't retest on the same form the exam, which at the present time is just one.

There is a new form every 6 months, though in July 2015 they will switch to the cplee, which will have four forms a year, or once every 3 months.

Reactions: 1 user
I took and (luckily) passed the CPSE today and the cutoff score was 78, just confirming the information provided earlier - good luck to everyone!
Congrats on passing the "new" August version, PsychSF26! It seems like almost everyone in this thread is gearing to take or retake the Aug. - Feb. version of the CPSE, and that the % passing rates for August have been posted. Any suggestions you have about preparing? I have the most recent PsychPrep and AATBS study guides, but given the alarm over the glaring differences in cut-off scores and pass rates, and the changes re: DSM 5 and BOP decisions, preparing for this thing seems less straightforward. :(

Congrats on passing the "new" August version, PsychSF26! It seems like almost everyone in this thread is gearing to take or retake the Aug. - Feb. version of the CPSE, and that the % passing rates for August have been posted. Any suggestions you have about preparing? I have the most recent PsychPrep and AATBS study guides, but given the alarm over the glaring differences in cut-off scores and pass rates, and the changes re: DSM 5 and BOP decisions, preparing for this thing seems less straightforward. :(

Do other states have the 6 month waiting period requirement? I've talked to people in other states and they were shocked by it. (I know it's changing...now that I'm prepping for the CPSE of course.) I better pass this mother ******. They've let the pass rate be like 90% for years, now, when I am getting ready take it the pass rate plummets! Sheesh.

I've got the AATBS books and am considering the stupid online questions.

Received this email today:
The Board has changed the procedures for applicants retaking the CPSE or CPLEE. There is no longer the six month wait. Applicants are eligible to retake the exam as soon as a new version of the exam is in place. Since you have paid the fee and a new exam has been implemented, your eligibility to retake the CPSE was sent to PSI today. You can contact PSI by Monday to schedule an appointment to test. Good luck on the exam.

Received this email today:
The Board has changed the procedures for applicants retaking the CPSE or CPLEE. There is no longer the six month wait. Applicants are eligible to retake the exam as soon as a new version of the exam is in place. Since you have paid the fee and a new exam has been implemented, your eligibility to retake the CPSE was sent to PSI today. You can contact PSI by Monday to schedule an appointment to test. Good luck on the exam.
Perhaps they are just banking on ignorance?? Had I not found this forum, I would never have known that anything was going on. I never went to look at the monthly pass rate after I missed it (by one point) because I was so traumatized (I had excellent practice exam scores and felt very confident). I still to this date have not received any form of communication indicating I can take this version before my 6 months (I took it back in May). I will do as you did and pay it, contact the DCA, and the BOP again. Thank you again for sharing information!

The BOP employees have been awful to deal with, and I can vouch for Tammy Bailey's unfriendliness. I took the EPPP mid-July and still have not received a letter or email confirming my score. The only evidence I have for passing it is the ASPPB score posted online. Tammy Bailey confirmed my eligibility for the CPSE over the phone but there still has been nothing actually sent to me, so you may be one of the unlucky ones to fall through the cracks with communication. At the rate the BOP moves with processing checks, you might as well send another payment now. When did you take the exam? Maybe that has something to do with it? I haven't taken it yet, but plan to by the end of this month.
I took it way back in May. The person who has dealt with my stuff has been Karen Johnson; I emailed her 3-4 weeks ago to no avail and Tammy was the one I spoke with when I actually was able to reach someone. Don't be too concerned about receiving anything from the BOP in terms of passing the EPPP. I took it back in March and never received anything beyond the ASPPB email/score. As long as you passed and pay your fee to the BOP you will be clear; especially if you were told (even over the phone) your eligibility was confirmed. If I recall correctly, once my check for the CPSE cleared my bank I called a week or so later to inquire. I was informed I was cleared (with the date of confirmation) and in a couple of days I received the PSI email. Days later I received that silly little pamphlet about the CPSE/PSI information and the date I must take it by (one year from date of approval) was listed conspicuously on a sticker posted on the pamphlet (on the address label I believe). Of note, I would recommend sending in your license fee ahead of time so that once you pass it will all fall into place nicely. I did that, and my check cleared the day I failed the CPSE...such irony. However, when I PASS it this time I won't have to wait to mail in a check, have it clear the bank, post at the BOP, and wait for them to recognize it and issue me a license number. Good luck to you!!

Cali-forn-i-a sounds like a freaking hot mess. Camping in Yosemite? Check. Got drunk in Napa and Yountville? Check. Done.

Last edited:
I took it way back in May. The person who has dealt with my stuff has been Karen Johnson; I emailed her 3-4 weeks ago to no avail and Tammy was the one I spoke with when I actually was able to reach someone. Don't be too concerned about receiving anything from the BOP in terms of passing the EPPP. I took it back in March and never received anything beyond the ASPPB email/score. As long as you passed and pay your fee to the BOP you will be clear; especially if you were told (even over the phone) your eligibility was confirmed. If I recall correctly, once my check for the CPSE cleared my bank I called a week or so later to inquire. I was informed I was cleared (with the date of confirmation) and in a couple of days I received the PSI email. Days later I received that silly little pamphlet about the CPSE/PSI information and the date I must take it by (one year from date of approval) was listed conspicuously on a sticker posted on the pamphlet (on the address label I believe). Of note, I would recommend sending in your license fee ahead of time so that once you pass it will all fall into place nicely. I did that, and my check cleared the day I failed the CPSE...such irony. However, when I PASS it this time I won't have to wait to mail in a check, have it clear the bank, post at the BOP, and wait for them to recognize it and issue me a license number. Good luck to you!!
It's amazing how inefficient and uncoordinated communication is with the BOP. I never even received an email from ASPPB about passing the EPPP; I was told via phone by an APSSB rep that the CA BOP was having "some trouble" with releasing info in July. I did get the email about taking the CPSE and the yellow PSI pamphlet in the mail. Thanks for the tip about sending the check for the license fee in ahead of time! I didn't know we could do this (the online BOP video says to do it once you pass the CPSE). It's VERY helpful to know your experience with this, because I didn't know it would take ~3 weeks for them to process my CPSE check, which squashed my plan to take it before the switch to the new version in August. I hope you are cleared quickly to retake the CPSE once you send in the fee. It's unnerving to think that you did well on practice exams that may not have reflected the way questions were worded on the real thing. Let's hope this current version is better than the last one!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took the CPSE again yesterday and didn't pass got 70. The questions were very vague. Now have to wait for the next one in February. Passing rates are still low 70% compare to previous years of 86%- 95% Good luck to all of you who are planning to take it.

So I took the CPSE again yesterday and didn't pass got 70. The questions were very vague. Now have to wait for the next one in February. Passing rates are still low 70% compare to previous years of 86%- 95% Good luck to all of you who are planning to take it.

Sorry to hear that, and that this frustrating process continues to drag on. Just curious if your score came up with this last exam?

Sorry to hear that, and that this frustrating process continues to drag on. Just curious if your score came up with this last exam?
my score went down by 4 points last test I scored 74. It does not mean that you can't pass it.
At this point I'm more frustrated since I don't know how I could have done it better. When I read the questions without looking at the answers I know what the answer should be but the options were very confusing! I wish it was oral exam.

Yeah I wish the board would have to take it to see how awfully worded the questions are. It is not about knowledge base at this point, just getting lucky with answering the way the test wants you to. Very frustrating as you said:(

When you pass the CPSE do they give you 2 pages, one a notice of passing and second is the request for a license? just wondering.

When you pass the CPSE do they give you 2 pages, one a notice of passing and second is the request for a license? just wondering.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "request for license." If you are taking the CPSE your licensure paperwork is nearly complete and they know you want your license.

Isn't it late in the month to still have no CPSE scores posted for September?

Isn't it late in the month to still have no CPSE scores posted for September?

I think so, based on my post last month they released the scores around the 11th of the month, and nothing yet for September's pass rates. Makes me a bit anxious wondering if they're "hiding" a low pass rate. If I recall, when I took the test in July there were no pass rates posted yet for any of that particular tests' pass rates.

I'm registered to take the test again on November 1st, and I'm very nervous. I only failed by 4 points in July, and I feel like I've been studying more/better than I did the first time so I shouldn't be. But I can't help it. It was such an awful feeling when I didn't pass in July.

I think so, based on my post last month they released the scores around the 11th of the month, and nothing yet for September's pass rates. Makes me a bit anxious wondering if they're "hiding" a low pass rate. If I recall, when I took the test in July there were no pass rates posted yet for any of that particular tests' pass rates.

I'm registered to take the test again on November 1st, and I'm very nervous. I only failed by 4 points in July, and I feel like I've been studying more/better than I did the first time so I shouldn't be. But I can't help it. It was such an awful feeling when I didn't pass in July.

At least you don't have to wait 6 months to retake. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but yeah, it makes me wonder why the scores aren't reported yet.

Since looking at this was more interesting than the consults I have to write…here are the extrapolated data for pass rate for candidates taking the CPSE for the 2nd or more times.

CPSE Data (2014).jpg

Last edited:
Since looking at this was more interesting than the consults I have to write…here are the extrapolated data for pass rate for candidates taking the CPSE for the 2nd or more times.

View attachment 186370

LOL, interesting, but go look at the figures from past years. Pass rates as high as 90%+ easily.

LOL, interesting, but go look at the figures from past years. Pass rates as high as 90%+ easily.
This does not make sense. Yes I've failed the test but 52% it's crazy. Can we do something about this? I want to see the next board meeting

Great.

This is discouraging. I wonder why it is that the people who took it in August seemed to be better prepared or lucky or whatever. I'm also wondering if there were a few people who ran out and took it as soon as they were allowed after September 19th without re-studying.

I'm scheduled to take it in 11 days. I don't really know what to do. If I should bother taking it or waiting. If I fail, I wonder if the 6 month wait period starts from the November 1st date or my original fail in July (since this test is a "freebie" sort of).

I guess I figure I might as well give it another shot before next year. I don't know.

This does not make sense. Yes I've failed the test but 52% it's crazy. Can we do something about this? I want to see the next board meeting

It would be one thing if they said, "Yeah, we are trying to make the test harder. Keep studying."

They aren't saying that! The scores were so low that they let people take it sooner than allowed now (but conveniently said there was nothing wrong with the test). And now the September scores are as low as the ones from when they let people retake it early.

I keep pushing my test date back, but can't keep doing that. Still haven't attempted the damn thing yet. This is causing me WAY more anxiety than the EPPP ever did.

Reactions: 1 users
The numbers are extremely variable, and with relatively low N's, you can expect significant cohort effects, if those figures are even significantly different from each other considering high SD's. Looking at month to month won't tell you anything useful really.

The numbers are extremely variable, and with relatively low N's, you can expect significant cohort effects, if those figures are even significantly different from each other considering high SD's. Looking at month to month won't tell you anything useful really.
Logically I know this, and remind myself this all the time. But unfortunately I'm such an anxious person.

Logically I know this, and remind myself this all the time. But unfortunately I'm such an anxious person.

I am more so comparing year to year. Hard to dispute a drastic difference. A lot of Ns in these samples.

2010: 95%
2011: 86%
2012: 86%
2013: 80%
2014: 61%

http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/statistics.shtml

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-10-22 18.43.40.png
    Screenshot 2014-10-22 18.43.40.png
    76 KB · Views: 57
When did they change the test though? I thought it was partway through the year. So, you'd have a very large N on one side, and a very small N on the other.

That's true, but those months on the book ends were very low compared to years past averages as well.

Feb through August was a different form of the test.

September '13 through January '14 = form A
February '14 through August '14 = form B
September '14 through January '15 = form C

Last edited:
Yikes, I wish I didn't look at the stats for September, I too, am taking it in just a few short days and now I am freaking out! Taking it again and now stressed I will see the same fate. What is going on
Great.

This is discouraging. I wonder why it is that the people who took it in August seemed to be better prepared or lucky or whatever. I'm also wondering if there were a few people who ran out and took it as soon as they were allowed after September 19th without re-studying.

I'm scheduled to take it in 11 days. I don't really know what to do. If I should bother taking it or waiting. If I fail, I wonder if the 6 month wait period starts from the November 1st date or my original fail in July (since this test is a "freebie" sort of).

I guess I figure I might as well give it another shot before next year. I don't know.

Yikes, I wish I didn't look at the stats for September, I too, am taking it in just a few short days and now I am freaking out! Taking it again and now stressed I will see the same fate. Already anxious enough!! I have been using the AATBS materials and online tests, curious as to what you are using and if you think it's helping. Anyone who recently took it and has any tips or suggestions?

Great.

It seems like focusing on how your recent studying has improved since your first round of studying might help with confidence, especially if you know how you've amped it up and have a sense of what the test is like now (unless your study materials didn't prepare you well for the real test questions). Are your practice test scores better now than originally? Mine are in the 70s, which I'm not even sure is adequate, since it now seems like the CPSE pass rates are much more variable than the EPPP.

I will hit my 3000 hours around Feb 2015 and plan to take the CPSE/CPLEE sometime between March-July, as my current position ends late July. Any thoughts about the differences between the exams? I would love to get it done earlier, but would be willing to wait if the CPLEE is easier. And I would really hate to have to study for both exams if I didn't pass the CPSE before July.

Yikes, I wish I didn't look at the stats for September, I too, am taking it in just a few short days and now I am freaking out! Taking it again and now stressed I will see the same fate. Already anxious enough!! I have been using the AATBS materials and online tests, curious as to what you are using and if you think it's helping. Anyone who recently took it and has any tips or suggestions?

I am using AATBS as well. For the test I took in July I used AATBS materials from 2009 (which probably wasn't the smartest decision, but I was being cheap). For this test I bought new AATBS materials and am using the TestMaster program. Not sure if TestMaster really helps though. I was disappointed to see that there were A LOT of repeat questions that I had seen on the copies from 2010 TestMaster).

I take it on Saturday, and am nervous (naturally). I took one of my TestMaster tests for the 2nd time and got a 94%. The first time I took it (1 month prior) I got a 76%. I know there's practice effects, but I also believe I've learned some information.

It seems like focusing on how your recent studying has improved since your first round of studying might help with confidence, especially if you know how you've amped it up and have a sense of what the test is like now (unless your study materials didn't prepare you well for the real test questions). Are your practice test scores better now than originally? Mine are in the 70s, which I'm not even sure is adequate, since it now seems like the CPSE pass rates are much more variable than the EPPP.

I honestly don't remember my practice test scores from the first time I took the test, I think they were high 70s. Now I'm doing better, my last practice test I took on Sunday I got a 94% (the previous time I took the test I got 76%). The other two tests I've taken in the last two weeks were 88% and 92%.

I am using AATBS as well. For the test I took in July I used AATBS materials from 2009 (which probably wasn't the smartest decision, but I was being cheap). For this test I bought new AATBS materials and am using the TestMaster program. Not sure if TestMaster really helps though. I was disappointed to see that there were A LOT of repeat questions that I had seen on the copies from 2010 TestMaster).

I take it on Saturday, and am nervous (naturally). I took one of my TestMaster tests for the 2nd time and got a 94%. The first time I took it (1 month prior) I got a 76%. I know there's practice effects, but I also believe I've learned some information.

Are the AATBS questions comparable to the real ones? I've heard mixed reviews.

I urge my colleagues, especially those who are so frustrated that they are considering leaving the State of CA. Please join me to appeal to the BOP to revisit and review the examinees’ results for 2014, and reverse the decision for all those who scored over 70 , be declared “PASS” instead of making them retake the exam.
The Board of Psychology made changes in the CPSE because the passing rate was around 90% in the past. The most recent statistic of 52% in September is unfair and unjust. It appears the BOP is self-destructive and demoralizing to psychologists after years of education, rigorous requirements for a dissertation, 3000 supervised training hours, and passing the challenging EPPP. In 2014 the BOP created an exam with a cut-off criterion that has caused about a 30% drop in the pass rate. This is inequitably discriminatory compared to the requirements for our colleagues historically. I agree with my colleagues that the questions were poorly worded and excessively convoluted. It appears the BOP knowingly and intentionally making it difficult to pass the CPSE. Here is a link to the official exam statistics: http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/statistics.shtml
2010: 95%; 2011: 86%; 2012: 86%; 2013: 80% 2014: 61%; September 2014: 52%

I honestly don't remember my practice test scores from the first time I took the test, I think they were high 70s. Now I'm doing better, my last practice test I took on Sunday I got a 94% (the previous time I took the test I got 76%). The other two tests I've taken in the last two weeks were 88% and 92%.

I urge my colleagues, especially those who are so frustrated that they are considering leaving the State of CA. Please join me to appeal to the BOP to revisit and review the examinees’ results for 2014, and reverse the decision for all those who scored over 70 , be declared “PASS” instead of making them retake the exam.
The Board of Psychology made changes in the CPSE because the passing rate was around 90% in the past. The most recent statistic of 52% in September is unfair and unjust. It appears the BOP is self-destructive and demoralizing to psychologists after years of education, rigorous requirements for a dissertation, 3000 supervised training hours, and passing the challenging EPPP. In 2014 the BOP created an exam with a cut-off criterion that has caused about a 30% drop in the pass rate. This is inequitably discriminatory compared to the requirements for our colleagues historically. I agree with my colleagues that the questions were poorly worded and excessively convoluted. It appears the BOP knowingly and intentionally making it difficult to pass the CPSE. Here is a link to the official exam statistics: http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/statistics.shtml

Are the AATBS questions comparable to the real ones? I've heard mixed reviews.
I think they are, however I have heard mixed things as well. It just seems that people are either Team AATBS or Team Psychprep. I stuck with AATBS because that's what I used for the EPPP and was used to their writing style/format. A classmate who took the same test as I and didn't pass is using psychprep this time around because she felt that those are more similar to the CPSE questions.

I'd be interested to see the CPSE rates by doctoral program. Similar to the EPPP, I suspect that the numbers would make more sense upon closer examination.

The test developers did list changes in testing population as a possible explanation for the discrepancies in scores, however, it seems to go beyond a professional school issue. One would expect a similar change in EPPP pass rates if that were the case, but the change has been very subtle.

CPSE Percent passed First-time passed Total candidates
Aug –Sep 14 Form 62% 66% 106
Feb 14 – Jul 14 Form 59% 61% 523
Aug 13 – Jan 14 Form 73% 74% 456
Feb – Jul 13 Form 84% 86% 384
2012 87% 88% 731
2011 87% 87% 810
2010 92% 93% 794
EPPP Percent passed First-time passed Total candidates
2014 61% 73% 1252
2013 60% 69% 1208
2012 58% 74% 1301
2011 64% 78% 1002
2010 63% 74% 1055

Perhaps, but we can't necessarily use the EPPP comparison because I don't believe they are yoked in this dataset. There is often a significant delay in taking the EPPP vs taking a state licensure exam. As I said, could be something there, just not enough data to make a firm conclusion just yet, especially with the wide month by month variations that already existed.

I'd be interested to see the CPSE rates by doctoral program. Similar to the EPPP, I suspect that the numbers would make more sense upon closer examination.

I know that's the answer to all things on this board, but those numbers are drastic to be explained by professional school graduates. They've been taking the CPSE for years too, ya know. We aren't just talking about a little dip in the numbers.

2010: 95%
2011: 86%
2012: 86%
2013: 80%
2014: 61%

So, the passing score is 78% now right? What has the passing score been historically? Same? Changed?

...and you know, I feel like we have a right to see the distribution of scores. I'd find it hard to believe the average score has not gone way down.

Last edited:
I'm In how can we go about this?
This year I took it twice. the first time I got 74 with passing rate of 80 and second time I got 70 with passing of 78

I'm In how can we go about this?
This year I took it twice. the first time I got 74 with passing rate of 80 and second time I got 70 with passing of 78
I take it on Saturday, and I'm nervous. Did you study more or differently taking it the second time around?

I know that's the answer to all things on this board, but those numbers are drastic to be explained by professional school graduates. They've been taking the CPSE for years too, ya know. We aren't just talking about a little dip in the numbers.

We are talking about a downward trend in numbers, and a highly variable month to month rate on top of that. If anything, enrollment has gone up in recent years, and most likely student quality and standards have gone down correspondingly. There may be something there, but you need more data, otherwise you're just committing statistical fallacies. This is why psychologist's need a strong background in research.