Current CPSE Cut Off Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For clarification, I pulled out the 2nd time or more group because the way the data was formatted was incomplete (at least in my eyes). What would be more interesting would be to see the data before it was collapsed into the "2nd or more" category and expanded to cover the past 3-5+ years. I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some outliers pulling down the overall average. I'd also love to see the data broken out by program.

Members don't see this ad.

I take it on Saturday, and I'm nervous. Did you study more or differently taking it the second time around?
No, I study the same and I have to say the only think I would different it to take more time to read the questions and answers. Good luck and let us know.

Well, I took it and got a 77. Needed 78 to pass. I feel like kicking the board members in the nuts. I'm mainly upset at the ridiculous 6 MONTH waiting period to take it again.

Any suggestions for recourse, complaints, begging? Not sure what to do from here considering the pass rates are so low. Any hope they'll offer to retake sooner as they did with the last batch of failures?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I take it on Saturday, and I'm nervous. Did you study more or differently taking it the second time around?
Best of luck (and calm nerves) to you, VPsyD! I'm rooting for you tomorrow, especially with such high practice test scores this time around.

I took the test on Saturday and passed. I am happy to be done with this whole process.

Congratulations VPsyD!!
I would appreciate any suggestions you can provide to prepare to retake the exam in February.
I missed by a few points last week. The Board emailed me back stating I can retake the exam after 2/1/2014

You can start with Lavinia Snyder: [email protected]

Sample letter:
I am appealing to the Board of Psychology to revisit and review the examinees’ results for 2014, and reverse the decision for all those who scored over 70, be declared “PASS” instead of making them retake the exam. Clearly there have been changes in the CPSE because the passing rate was around 90% in the past; however the most recent statistic is a 52% pass rate in September, 2014. After years of education, rigorous requirements for a dissertation, 3000 supervised training hours, and passing the challenging EPPP, this is very problematic.

Beginning in 2014 the CPSE exam has a cut-off criterion that has resulted in about a 30% drop in the pass rate. This is inequitable and discriminatory compared to the requirements for our colleagues historically. On a personal note, I found the questions were poorly worded and convoluted.

Here is a link to the official exam statistics: http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/statistics.shtml
2010: 95%; 2011: 86%; 2012: 86%; 2013: 80% 2014: 61%; September 2014: 52%

Once again, I sincerely urge the BOP to revisit and reverse the decision to declare "PASS" to the candidates who scored above 70.

How to File a Citizens Comment/Complaint About The DCA
The California Department of Consumer Affairs welcomes your comments, complaints, and/or suggestions. To send us a comment, complaint, or suggestion about one of the Boards, Bureaus, Programs, or Divisions within the Department of Consumer Affairs, choose one of the options below.
  • I want to send my comments, complaints, or suggestions about a Board, Bureau, Program or Division within the Department of Consumer Affairs using an online form.
  • I want to send my comments, complaints, or suggestions about a Board, Bureau, Program or Division within the Department of Consumer Affairs using a form I can print and fill out

Until people see a clear discrepancy between EPPP pass rates and this pass rate with yoked numbers, this won't hold much weight. In the past, the pass rate was actually laughably high when you looked at the accompanying EPPP rates for that year and a year prior.

Until people see a clear discrepancy between EPPP pass rates and this pass rate with yoked numbers, this won't hold much weight. In the past, the pass rate was actually laughably high when you looked at the accompanying EPPP rates for that year and a year prior.
I agree - but that does not justify a 30+% drop in the pass rate in 2014? We are looking at candidates who are among the approximately 60% who passed the EPPP. How long ago did you take the CPSE?

I am not licensed in California, therby no need to pass the CPSE. My EPPP score leaves with no doubt that it would be a minimal problem though. I still reiterate though that the CPSE pass rates actually seem to more closely resemble EPPP pass rates now than they did when people were passing at a 95% clip. At what level of quality control would you be happy with?

My state had a clinical oral and written jurisprudence. The other state that borders my city, which I am also licensed in, also had a written jurisprudence. This was all rote memorization, along with some ethical questions. I studied for like a week, if that. How is this CA test so different? Is it not just a jurisprudence? Is there like a mini EPPP within it too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Erg, it's 100 questions across 4 content areas I believe if they haven't changed it drastically (treatment, assessment, crisis assessment and int, and ethics).

State laws and other CA specific things are in the ethics part?

I took the test on Saturday and passed. I am happy to be done with this whole process.
Congratulations!
did you get two forms from the testing center? one that you passed and the other one to send to the board requesting for license?

Sample letter:
I am appealing to the Board of Psychology to revisit and review the examinees’ results for 2014, and reverse the decision for all those who scored over 70, be declared “PASS” instead of making them retake the exam. Clearly there have been changes in the CPSE because the passing rate was around 90% in the past; however the most recent statistic is a 52% pass rate in September, 2014. After years of education, rigorous requirements for a dissertation, 3000 supervised training hours, and passing the challenging EPPP, this is very problematic.

Beginning in 2014 the CPSE exam has a cut-off criterion that has resulted in about a 30% drop in the pass rate. This is inequitable and discriminatory compared to the requirements for our colleagues historically. On a personal note, I found the questions were poorly worded and convoluted.

Here is a link to the official exam statistics: http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/statistics.shtml

Once again, I sincerely urge the BOP to revisit and reverse the decision to declare "PASS" to the candidates who scored above 70.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs welcomes your comments, complaints, and/or suggestions. To send us a comment, complaint, or suggestion about one of the Boards, Bureaus, Programs, or Divisions within the Department of Consumer Affairs, choose one of the options below.
  • I want to send my comments, complaints, or suggestions about a Board, Bureau, Program or Division within the Department of Consumer Affairs using an online form.
  • I want to send my comments, complaints, or suggestions about a Board, Bureau, Program or Division within the Department of Consumer Affairs using a form I can print and fill out
Will use this to sent out. There is a meeting this month

Congratulations!
did you get two forms from the testing center? one that you passed and the other one to send to the board requesting for license?
It ended up being like 4 pages of paper. The first one is the one with your picture on it saying you passed. The other ones are the application for licensure (what you want your name to look like on the license, proof of your CEs, etc) and then you send in a $400 check with that.

It ended up being like 4 pages of paper. The first one is the one with your picture on it saying you passed. The other ones are the application for licensure (what you want your name to look like on the license, proof of your CEs, etc) and then you send in a $400 check with that.
Thank you enjoy your new license :)

Congrats on your new license! What do you think made the difference for you this time? I'm planning to take it for the first time by Dec. and am using AATBS and PsychPrep.

Sample letter:

Thanks for this! I sent an e-mail to the above contact and will fill out the online form as well. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do! Thanks again!

Thanks for this! I sent an e-mail to the above contact and will fill out the online form as well. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do! Thanks again!
I emailed the main board email, but have not heard back.

You no longer have to wait 6 months to retake the test. Unless you took it in August :(. The new rule is that regardless of when you took it you can retake as soon as a new version is available which is February 1st. Attached is the letter from the Board stating this. It can also be found at the top of the page of the exam statistics page of the website.

Attachments

• CPSE Exam Retake Changes.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 84
I emailed the main board email, but have not heard back.
For whatever reason they got back to me really quickly. This is the reply I got...

The Board has met with the Department of Consumer Affairs, Office of Professional Examination Service (OPES), the agency responsible for the development and administration of the Board’s examinations, to discuss the validity of the CPSE and CPLEE. It was determined that the examination is legally defensible and valid. Therefore, the results of the examination are acceptable.

If you would like I can provide you with a breakdown of your results in each area or part of the examination. I would just need the date when you took the exam. This may not be what you are looking for but it might provide some valuable information.

Sincerely,

Lavinia Snyder
Examination/Breeze Coordinator
Board of Psychology
1625 N. Market Blvd., N-215
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 574-7178
(916) 574-8672 fax
[email protected]
www.psychology.ca.gov

You no longer have to wait 6 months to retake the test. Unless you took it in August :(. The new rule is that regardless of when you took it you can retake as soon as a new version is available which is February 1st. Attached is the letter from the Board stating this. It can also be found at the top of the page of the exam statistics page of the website.

Well, that's not what that says. That document says you don't have to wait the 6 months IF you took the last form of the CPSE (Feb to July '14). I took it in October. Where does it say I can retake in Feb?

Someone on this board said they took it after August and was told they would be allowed to retake it as soon as the form came out. This is really frustrating. And why is there no date on the document? I'm assuming they don't just mean for those applicants who took it in that range, but going forward in the future as well? It's not explicitly stated...and isn't dated. I just want to be certain.

Edit: okay okay. I was reading it wrong. I see now. Thank you! I love how I got no response from them.

Last edited:
I am not licensed in California, therby no need to pass the CPSE. My EPPP score leaves with no doubt that it would be a minimal problem though.

Well, I know I will sleep easy knowing it would be no problem for you. Thank you for your insight. I'm sure I'm the only one who finds the comment obnoxious.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, that's not what that says. That document says you don't have to wait the 6 months IF you took the last form of the CPSE (Feb to July '14). I took it in October. Where does it say I can retake in Feb?

Someone on this board said they took it after August and was told they would be allowed to retake it as soon as the form came out. This is really frustrating. And why is there no date on the document? I'm assuming they don't just mean for those applicants who took it in that range, but going forward in the future as well? It's not explicitly stated...and isn't dated. I just want to be certain.

Edit: okay okay. I was reading it wrong. I see now. Thank you! I love how I got no response from them.

I know what you mean, there's no date and things seem so vague. This is such a frustrating process.

Psyman: Did you end up taking it last month? I put mine off, so now I'm even more worried. I can't believe I made it through the EPPP without nearly this much stress when the CPSE is supposedly the "easier" of the two.

Psyman: Did you end up taking it last month? I put mine off, so now I'm even more worried. I can't believe I made it through the EPPP without nearly this much stress when the CPSE is supposedly the "easier" of the two.

I took it in October and got a 77. Passing is 78.

I took it in October and got a 77. Passing is 78.
Unbelievable. There are too many "missed by 1-2 points" with this test.

What would you do differently the next time? Were the practice tests even helpful for preparing?

My state had a clinical oral and written jurisprudence. The other state that borders my city, which I am also licensed in, also had a written jurisprudence. This was all rote memorization, along with some ethical questions. I studied for like a week, if that. How is this CA test so different? Is it not just a jurisprudence? Is there like a mini EPPP within it too?

Do you recall what a passing score was on those jurisprudence exams you took?

The reason CA is getting rid of the CPSE is because because they found it to be redundant after the EPPP. The CPSE covers crisis, dsm, treatment and laws & ethics. The next exam CA will require instead only covers laws and ethics.

Last edited:
Unbelievable. There are too many "missed by 1-2 points" with this test.

What would you do differently the next time? Were the practice tests even helpful for preparing?

Honestly, I have no idea.

I recently heard from a friend who attended an aatbs workshop that the facilitator commented on the bop meeting this month to discuss the recent disparity in pass rates and would post the results of this meeting online. Has anyone else heard this? I took a look at the bop site and it does appear that they are having a meeting next week and it does include the cpse and "exam questions." I'm scheduled to take the cpse in December but I'd love to know if the bop are planning to make any changes that could assist those of us planning to take it soon! Thanks and good luck everyone!

Well, I know I will sleep easy knowing it would be no problem for you. Thank you for your insight. I'm sure I'm the only one who finds the comment obnoxious.
I agree - I found his comments abominable and egocentric - and his comments invalid. I had passed the EPPP with a very respectable score; however I had missed passing the CPSE by a few points when I took it in October. I did receive an email from the BOP that I will be able to retake it after February 1, 2015 when the new form comes out.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, 52% pass rate in Sept? Yes, the test is really unfair it seems. While I agree it's a good thing to allow those to retake when a version comes out (and less than 6 months) this means no one will take the exam in Feb but instead wait a few months later. So annoying.

Do you mind saying which materials you studied from (AATBS/PsychPrep) and any other info you can to aid those who are preparing? thanks!

Wow, 52% pass rate in Sept? Yes, the test is really unfair it seems. While I agree it's a good thing to allow those to retake when a version comes out (and less than 6 months) this means no one will take the exam in Feb but instead wait a few months later. So annoying.

I agree this whole thing is annoying! I took it in September and plan to take it in Feb... Just coming from my own anxiety, why do you think no one will take it in Feb?

Do you mind saying which materials you studied from (AATBS/PsychPrep) and any other info you can to aid those who are preparing? thanks!

I used AATBS books. I was already familiar with their study materials from EPPP. However, I felt practice tests from PsychPrep (as opposed to AATBS) were most similar to those on the exam, in fact, some questions seemed to even be exactly the same.

Definitely slow down and read the questions carefully. They're telling you people's ages or ethnicities for a reason. Those were some things that I wouldn't always consider when I was taking the practice exams, and when I got them wrong I realized they were actually pretty important.

image.jpg
October stats.

Anyone know how the board meeting went? I'm trying to find it online, but no luck.

Anyone know how the board meeting went? I'm trying to find it online, but no luck.

According to the minutes they talked about the CPSE scores, but I couldn't find anything beyond that. My emails to them have been met by silence.

I used AATBS books. I was already familiar with their study materials from EPPP. However, I felt practice tests from PsychPrep (as opposed to AATBS) were most similar to those on the exam, in fact, some questions seemed to even be exactly the same.

Definitely slow down and read the questions carefully. They're telling you people's ages or ethnicities for a reason. Those were some things that I wouldn't always consider when I was taking the practice exams, and when I got them wrong I realized they were actually pretty important.

thanks for the reply, it's appreciated!

Hey all, this has been a nice thread to read after having failed the exam today. Scored a 72/78. To be honest, I felt pretty confident going into the exam. I had studied for a few months straight, did the psychprep and attbs practice tests and felt like I knew my stuff. For many of the questions I felt like I knew the answer to the question and then would look at my answer choices and my answer would not be there. Frustrating.

Anyone else have a similar experience? And for those who have passed it was there something special you did to study for it because I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong and can't come up with anything. All the questions that were straightforward were easy, but many of them felt like there was no right answer or 2 or 3 correct answers. Such an odd test. Anyways, I plan to send in my application for retake tomorrow. Hopefully it is true I can take it again in Feb. and not have to wait 6 months.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Hey all, this has been a nice thread to read after having failed the exam today. Scored a 72/78. To be honest, I felt pretty confident going into the exam. I had studied for a few months straight, did the psychprep and attbs practice tests and felt like I knew my stuff. For many of the questions I felt like I knew the answer to the question and then would look at my answer choices and my answer would not be there. Frustrating.

Anyone else have a similar experience? And for those who have passed it was there something special you did to study for it because I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong and can't come up with anything. All the questions that were straightforward were easy, but many of them felt like there was no right answer or 2 or 3 correct answers. Such an odd test. Anyways, I plan to send in my application for retake tomorrow. Hopefully it is true I can take it again in Feb. and not have to wait 6 months.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Myself and multiple others have felt the same way. I came from a fully-funded excellent Ph.D. program, passed EPPP on the first try without problems, but still took this exam very seriously (studied for months) only to miss by several questions. The kicker is I took a licensing exam in another state maybe a month later (with much less studying) that was strictly law and ethics, and only missed one question:) It sort of re-enforced my (biased) belief over how poorly written the questions were written. I do not feel like the content was unfair so to say, just with the multiple "correct' answers for many questions. This next time through I will definitely read questions more slowly to see if there are any additional hints or suggestions on which answers to eliminate.

I'm sorry this happened to you! I too had the same experience and am hoping to take it in February as well. I took it in September and have had a lot of time to think about it. I am also an LCSW and the exams I had to take were very similar to this one in terms of question rediculousness. From that experience and this one, my conclusion is that I know the material. These are more application type questions rather than recall of factual knowledge. I plan to pay more attention to the practice test questions and go into the test knowing that the answers are not straight forward and to choose the answers that are most correct. For me it was easy to get caught up in the fact that the answers weren't "correct" and I spent most of the test feeling angry.

I had the same exact experience, I know the answers but could not find them. got 70

Scored an 75, needed a 78. Spent a considerable time studying and preparing and having passed the EPPP comfortably, was confident going in. I agree that the questions are asked in a way that does not represent knowledge of the material. When researching the answers "after" the test, I found that they could have gone either way, since a lot of the questions are so subjective. Additionally, since they do not give you the correct answers after you take it, there is no way of knowing what ones you actually got wrong.
I would love to see how currently licensed psychologists would do on this test, I think that would truly represent the unfairness of this process-- even better, make the board-members take it as see how they do!\
Lastly, "WisNeuro" why are you even on this thread? Why don't you go involve yourself that has something to do with Wisconsin or Minnesota or wherever you're from instead of your illogic references on smart you think you are. Dope.

I noticed this in the BOP newsletter:

Title 16, CCR, Sections 1388, 1388.6, 1389, 1392 – Examinations, License Requirements and Waiver of Examination, Reconsideration of Examinations, Psychologist Fees
The proposed regulation will change the law and ethics examination that is taken by applicants for licensure. Currently, applicants take the California Psychology Supplemental Examination (CPSE), but this has been determined to be duplicative of certain knowledge points on the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). The proposed change will instead require applicants to take the California Psychology Law and Ethics Examination (CPLEE).
http://www.psychology.ca.gov/forms_pubs/fall2014.pdf

I noticed this in the BOP newsletter:

Title 16, CCR, Sections 1388, 1388.6, 1389, 1392 – Examinations, License Requirements and Waiver of Examination, Reconsideration of Examinations, Psychologist Fees
The proposed regulation will change the law and ethics examination that is taken by applicants for licensure. Currently, applicants take the California Psychology Supplemental Examination (CPSE), but this has been determined to be duplicative of certain knowledge points on the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). The proposed change will instead require applicants to take the California Psychology Law and Ethics Examination (CPLEE).
http://www.psychology.ca.gov/forms_pubs/fall2014.pdf

Old news. Next year they are ditching the CPSE. It's already been approved.

And when exactly are they ditching the CPSE? I'm planning to retake it in Feb.