Current CPSE Cut Off Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm at my wits end at having failed 3 times already! I don't know how to study anymore and seeing the passing rate at 85%, I've already given up and that should not be the attitude to have =(
I can totally empathize. I am dragging my feet on scheduling this new version, as it will be my 3rd time taking it. Neither of the first two times did I think I was going to fail it...I felt defeated after the second time and if I fail it this third time I have to wait until the summer to do the CPLEE? I just want my license already....I hope you are able to get some positive focus and rock this for the final attempt! It should not be this difficult to get a license.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If they raised the pass cutoff by that much when the test is still at a 65% pass rate, it HAS to be an easier version....

The pass rate is 60% for all of 2014. Don't give them any extra points. (they sure aren't giving us bonus points)

This is too depressing. Maybe I should move to New York then I'll have my license already.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just failed for the second time. I got an 83, and as we all know I needed an 85. In what world does knowing 83% of the answers of such a comprehensive test make you incompetent to practice? At the risk of sounding Borderline, I'm seriously wondering if there is any legal recourse to take. At this point I am losing a chunk of income, and have serious concerns about the validity of the test as well as how the cut off score is set. Has anyone ever heard of someone taking legal actions?

So I just failed for the second time. I got an 83, and as we all know I needed an 85. In what world does knowing 83% of the answers of such a comprehensive test make you incompetent to practice? At the risk of sounding Borderline, I'm seriously wondering if there is any legal recourse to take. At this point I am losing a chunk of income, and have serious concerns about the validity of the test as well as how the cut off score is set. Has anyone ever heard of someone taking legal actions?

I really want to see the pass rate for this month. I'm sure they'll take their sweet time in posting it. still waiting on January...

Wouldn't be the first lawsuit, no doubt.

This is fu&8ed up!!! sorry but we should all be able to practice already. The point of an exam is to make sure we have the knowledge, IT IS NOT to evaluate our reading comprehension. Yes, English is my second language but I speak and read very well and still the questions are so tricky. I'm so sorry that you didn't pass not just for you but for all of us. I need hope here 83 out of 200 is failing I agree but 83 out of 100 is passing period!

So sorry to hear, I am in the same boat you are in. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what score did you get on the previous version?

Just heard that someone who failed the last version was able to pass this round. Good news

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else have any experience with, or heard anything else about, the current version of the exam? Taking it soon and wondering whether people are having any success with passing...

I just took the test today and passed!

I took it last September and got a 75%. In my experience this test was easier than the previous version. The questions were shorter and more straightforward. I used both AATBS and PsychPrep and I am glad I used both. I also went to a workshop. I felt the practice test questions were a good representation of the actual test questions. While I studied for three months prior to taking the test in September, I feel like I studied harder and integrated the information better this time around. I was scoring between 90-94% on the practice exams.

I feel the biggest thing that helped me was how I approached the test. I worked on not being "mad" at the test questions and on deep breathing when I took the practice tests. I also practiced trusting my instincts and going with my first choice. There are questions with answers that are not ideal and I worked on letting that go and choosing the answer that I felt was most right. I paid more attention to what was being asked in the question and the words used like "must" vs"may" and "is" vs "might".

The above is what worked for me and I hope it is at least somewhat helpful. This process has been beyond frustrating and I strongly believe that an 85% cutoff score is ridiculous! There is something political going on with the Board and sadly we are the ones suffering.

Thanks for this insight! I actually took it this morning and (shockingly) passed! Some of the questions were virtually identical to AATBS and PsychPrep practice questions. I wish everyone taking this version the best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I also took it this afternoon and finally passed!!
I concur with the previous two posts: many of the questions were very similar to the practice ones on Psych Prep (and perhaps AATBS--I only had some questions that were passed down from a previous version). In any event, best of luck to you all!!! It is looking like perhaps this version may be closer to how it used to be....

Reactions: 2 users
Just to add to the trend, I too took this version and passed! :) I completely agree that the practice exams are an excellent reflection of the actual test questions. I used both Aatbs and Psych Prep but personally I found the psych prep workshop and practice test questions to be the most similar to the CPSE! Good luck!

i recently passed the CPSE, it was my first time taking it. i would like to offer some strategic advice to future CPSE-takers, few as they might be since they're phasing it out, but my advice will be relevant for the CPLE as well

i disagree with people who claim that brute memorization is the key to passing this test. i think this test is more about how to take the test than what you know. yes, of course it's important to know all the "facts" regarding diagnosis, legal and ethical standards, etc. Studying the DSM, APA ethics principles, and relevant sections of the California Code will accomplish this. but simply knowing these facts is not enough. rather, you to have to be prepared to think critically about the question stem and be able to decipher each individual piece of it and weigh them against one another. forget that there are 4 different content areas. i mean, if it helps you study to think about it that way, then fine, but in the test that is essentially bull****. a single question might contain multiple issues which touch on diagnosis, treatment, confidentiality, and patient safety, and you have to recognize each piece and rule it out to choose the "best" answer available. memorizing the answers to practice tests will not help with this. if you come across a novel/unusual question on the test you'll be screwed. rather it's crucial to use practice tests to understand why the answer is right. if you're doing practice tests and you don't understand why each answer is right, find out. understand why. without that understanding you can't apply your effort to the actual test, and it becomes difficult to hit 85. if you're crushing practice tests but don't understand why each answer is right, great, nice guessing there. when the test counts you might not be so fortunate so good luck with that approach.

also important is how you move through the test. this is up to personal preference, but I think you want to progress through the whole test quickly on a first pass, knocking out all the easy questions first and leaving time to review the more tricky ones. on the first pass my strategy was to never spend more than 45-60 seconds on any one question. some are easy and you'll know the answer within 10-15 seconds, but even on tricky questions you should be able to narrow it down to 2 potential answers in no more than a minute. if either could be right and you're debating pros and cons, pick one, mark the question, and move on. a better way might even be to skip it if you can't recognize the definite answer within 10-15 seconds, and then come back to do all the rest so you do all your deep thinking on each tough question at one time. the key is finish the test with some "definite" answers locked in with ample time to go back and carefully consider the hard ones.
this is a good approach because, not gonna lie, some of the questions are very difficult. they are written in a way to trip you up. you really need to break down each individual word in the entire question AND each answer to arrive at the best answer. you need time to do that. carefully consider each individual answer and try to rule it out. sometimes the best answer is the one that's the least bad. like the post above said, you have to consider bits of syntax such as "must" vs"may" and "is" vs "might". that's incredibly annoying, but it's what you have to do to pass. i think where people get into trouble in the test is when they think "was there a practice test question like this one? what was the answer then?" and then they pick the answer that's most like what they remember. that's a terrible approach. i mean, maybe it's better than random guessing, but you obviously can't remember every word of every practice item you took, and one word being slightly different could mean right or wrong. better to pick an answer based on an actual rationale than based on your crappy, error-prone memory.

also remember that some responses sound "good" in a vacuum but don't actually answer the critical question or address the need raised in the item. those answers are usually wrong. also if a question seems way out of left-field (totally unrelated to anything in your study manual or anything you else from your prep) and you have no clue, make your best guess but don't waste time in the test being pissed about it. remember it could be an unscored item.

don't be intimidated by this test (or the CPLE which has a similar high bar for passing right now) and don't study for 20 hours a day for 3 months for it. and don't waste $500 on a f*cking prep course, or worse two prep courses. if you can obtain a solid grasp of the content and figure out how to think critically on the test items (which you can, you finished grad school after all), you should be able to pass. i'm writing all this because i personally think it's deplorable that licensed psychologist are charging people (many of whom are slaving away as underpaid fellows after years of the same **** as grad students) half a thousand dollars to help people prepare for these exams. doesn't it say in the APA ethics code not to solicit services from clients who under "undue influence"? i'd say applicants desperate for licensure (and for many of us, our first real job) are the definition of under undue influence. these companies have cornered the market on prep for these tests and are taking advantage of us. f*ck them. work hard and you don't need their stupid course to pass this test.

okay rant over. I hope someone reads this. good luck on the test.

Well, I know I will sleep easy knowing it would be no problem for you. Thank you for your insight. I'm sure I'm the only one who finds the comment obnoxious.

I scored at 95th percentile on EPPP and failed CPSE at 82, cutoff 85. Studied hard. Not as correlated as you'd think.

Congrats to those who have passed. I'm planning to take the CPSE before the switch and was hoping I could find a used copy of study maerials. PM me if you, or someone you know has any available.

I scored at 95th percentile on EPPP and failed CPSE at 82, cutoff 85. Studied hard. Not as correlated as you'd think.

I too did not pass. Took it yesterday and actually had the same score!! 82!!! Out of curiosity, what are your plans in regards to studying for the cplee?

Congrats to those who have passed. I'm planning to take the CPSE before the switch and was hoping I could find a used copy of study maerials. PM me if you, or someone you know has any available.
pm sent