All Branch Topic (ABT) Current HPSP Bonus/Stipend After Tax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChefBoyboyarDEEZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone wondering how much money you currently (9/16) take home after taxes from the HPSP signing bonus and monthly stipend:
Of the $20,000 bonus I took home: $13,750 (about 68%)
Of the monthly stipend: $936 x2 per month = $1,872 per month

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone wondering how much money you currently (9/16) take home after taxes from the HPSP signing bonus and monthly stipend:
Of the $20,000 bonus I took home: $13,750 (about 68%)
Of the monthly stipend: $936 x2 per month = $1,872 per month

True! I did get back about $5000 on my tax return in the year I received my sign on bonus. That was a mixture of taxes and a student tax credit I was eligible for. It took away some of the awful taste in my mouth from my post-tax bonus.

Supplemental wages like most military "bonuses" are withheld at 25%. Come April, most students, interns, and residents will have an effective federal rate of a lot less than that and will get most or all of it back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know for sure if the Air Force does or does not offer the 20,000 dollar sign on bonus. If they don't why do they Navy and Army offer the bonus but not the Air Force? Currently in process with Air Force for HPSP and learning that they don't have the bonus isn't a deal breaker, but it does suck compared to the other two branches

Does anyone know for sure if the Air Force does or does not offer the 20,000 dollar sign on bonus. If they don't why do they Navy and Army offer the bonus but not the Air Force? Currently in process with Air Force for HPSP and learning that they don't have the bonus isn't a deal breaker, but it does suck compared to the other two branches

I can only speak for the Navy, but I do have a classmate who has accepted the Air Force HPSP as of 2016 and will ask her if she got the bonus or not and get back to you later this week. I don't see any logical reason why they wouldn't offer the same thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see any logical reason why they wouldn't offer the same thing.
For some reason, people have this idea that the Air Force is "less military" than the Army or Navy, so historically their HPSP and USUHS slots have filled up first. If I was running AF HPSP and had the power to not offer it, I'm not sure I'd see a need to do so.

The enduring appeal of the AF is curious to me, because from my outsider's perspective over the years, the AF has been substantially more screwed up, hell-bent on wrongsizing, and generally unfriendly to doctors than the other services. Though the last few years the Army sure seems to be trying hard to match them.

For some reason, people have this idea that the Air Force is "less military" than the Army or Navy, so historically their HPSP and USUHS slots have filled up first. If I was running AF HPSP and had the power to not offer it, I'm not sure I'd see a need to do so.

The enduring appeal of the AF is curious to me, because from my outsider's perspective over the years, the AF has been substantially more screwed up, hell-bent on wrongsizing, and generally unfriendly to doctors than the other services. Though the last few years the Army sure seems to be trying hard to match them.
My father was in the navy for 22 years and his advice was to join the Air Force. Figured I would take his advice.

The problem with Dad's advice is that Dad doesn't know **** about military medicine circa 2016.

It's fascinating how effective the $20k bonus is in affecting a 7 figure decision.

My classmate told me that she will receive a $20,000 bonus at the beginning of her residency. So it seems the Navy and Army offer it up front and the Air Force makes you wait for it, but it all works out the same.

My classmate told me that she will receive a $20,000 bonus at the beginning of her residency. So it seems the Navy and Army offer it up front and the Air Force makes you wait for it, but it all works out the same.
Money now is always better than money later. I didn't think the AF did this. I seem to recall my classmates all got their bonuses when school started.

All three Services pay the accession bonus within 30 days of the first stipend check - while in HPSP.

The Air Force has opted from the beginning to not pay the bonus to dentists. Their reasoning has been that they have no problem filling dental scholarships.

My post-tax payment is $1060 per payment.

Took home around $14000 of my bonus last year and got over $5000 back on tax refund.

This is in Louisiana.

Does anyone know for sure if the Air Force does or does not offer the 20,000 dollar sign on bonus. If they don't why do they Navy and Army offer the bonus but not the Air Force? Currently in process with Air Force for HPSP and learning that they don't have the bonus isn't a deal breaker, but it does suck compared to the other two branches.

Current AF HPSPer, the bonus is up front in 3 payments, but you get it all (less taxes) around the first month of school. I got the same amount as @Louisianahopefuldoc because I am in LA as well. They also offer the bonus for the three year scholarship but that adds an extra year of service commitment.

I can confirm after talking with my recruiter that the Air Force does offer the 20,000 sign on this year. It just isn't advertised like the Army and Navy do.

Hey. I noticed a few have you have been saying the air force will offer the signing bonus but I spoke to my recruiter a couple weeks ago and he told me that the DOD has not yet approved the signing bonus for this fiscal year....I was selected for HPSP and am waiting for scroll approval so I haven't signed my contract yet. Just the acceptance letter.

Hey. I noticed a few have you have been saying the air force will offer the signing bonus but I spoke to my recruiter a couple weeks ago and he told me that the DOD has not yet approved the signing bonus for this fiscal year....I was selected for HPSP and am waiting for scroll approval so I haven't signed my contract yet. Just the acceptance letter.

It may change from year to year, but for the past few there has been a bonus from what I know. When I was signing my contract one of the pages asked if I was going to accept the bonus (accepting the bonus comes with a 4 year service commitment which is why they gave you an option, so if a 3 year HPSPer took the bonus they would have a minimum commitment of 4 years). If they are giving it out this year then it should be there when you sign.

It may change from year to year, but for the past few there has been a bonus from what I know. When I was signing my contract one of the pages asked if I was going to accept the bonus (accepting the bonus comes with a 4 year service commitment which is why they gave you an option, so if a 3 year HPSPer took the bonus they would have a minimum commitment of 4 years). If they are giving it out this year then it should be there when you sign.

I have my contract and I see the page about the bonus but since my recruiter told me it had yet to be approved I didn't know whether they would be obligated to give it to me since its in the contract they provided.