Current master's degree student in cognitive neuroscience: Medical school options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CogNeuroGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually stay in the psychology section of this forum, however, I wanted to gauge some of the potential responses and opinions that you fine folk have.

My background (degrees):

A.A. - liberal arts -GPA: 3.15
B.A. - sociology, minor in psychology-GPA: 3.75 (at the university) (cumulative UGPA:3.3/3.4)
M.S. (in progress) - applied cognition and neuroscience-GPA: 3.50

I currently do research in clinical neuropsychology at a major medical university, I am in that phase where I am entertaining many possibilities in terms of what I would like to do with my life. Prior to completing my education, I was a classical musician. I am deciding if it is worth it to return back to the 2-year college I received my A.A. from to finish 8 of the pre-med courses required for admissions and then apply for medical school. I would focus probably in neurology or psychiatry (combines my current and prior education).

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is something that you have a deep desire to pursue then GO FOR IT! Why not? You seem more than capable to handle the course load, it seems like you need to make a decision if it is something that you truly want to do. 10+ years until your fully able to practice, if your answer is yes, then I think you have your answer.

I usually stay in the psychology section of this forum, however, I wanted to gauge some of the potential responses and opinions that you fine folk have.

My background (degrees):

A.A. - liberal arts -GPA: 3.15
B.A. - sociology, minor in psychology-GPA: 3.75 (at the university) (cumulative UGPA:3.3/3.4)
M.S. (in progress) - applied cognition and neuroscience-GPA: 3.50

I currently do research in clinical neuropsychology at a major medical university, I am in that phase where I am entertaining many possibilities in terms of what I would like to do with my life. Prior to completing my education, I was a classical musician. I am deciding if it is worth it to return back to the 2-year college I received my A.A. from to finish 8 of the pre-med courses required for admissions and then apply for medical school. I would focus probably in neurology or psychiatry (combines my current and prior education).

Opinions?

All sounds good. I am an RN and have been out of school for 9 years. Took MCATs this year applied and got accepted. I am telling you all this because you are more educated than I am. However, in my opinion to get accepted you need to look good on the application. Looks like you have all the pre-reqs done. I would dare to say is that you need some different kinds of volunteer opportunities. I don't mean a lots of hours, but I mean is a few different kids. Shadow a few docs including a DO. I think you would be a very attractive candidate for and osteopathic school or even an MD school. If you really want it keep at it and just focus on that. You can do it. Good luck.